• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
If you're just interested in the trophies, I don't think it will be very hard to do. Each old Class VII member only has one bonding event before that point, so probably prioritize those before spending any points on new Class VII. Buy all of the gifts for the characters each chapter too. Then once the festival comes, you can spend a bunch of festival tickets on a character > get trophy > reload and repeat.

Do you know how it works for Towa? She seems to have multiple bonding events so I'm not sure if she is considered "new" or "old" class VII. I'm still in chapter one and for the evening event early on I had to choose her or Juna so I went with Towa but she already hit 3 stars after her event.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really HATE the incestuous-like relationship Rean and Elise have, I skipped that shit since ToCS1. Just one of the tropes I hated with anime and not sure why it's a thing.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I really HATE the incestuous-like relationship Rean and Elise have, I skipped that shit since ToCS1. Just one of the tropes I hated with anime and not sure why it's a thing.
Okay, so this might shock you. But in Trails in the Sky...

Nah, I agree. Estelle and Joshua are handled very differently.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know how it works for Towa? She seems to have multiple bonding events so I'm not sure if she is considered "new" or "old" class VII. I'm still in chapter one and for the evening event early on I had to choose her or Juna so I went with Towa but she already hit 3 stars after her event.

I only did one of Towa's bonding events iirc and was still able to get her trophy after one festival ticket. So it should still be easy.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so this might shock you. But in Trails in the Sky...

Nah, I agree. They're handled very differently.
Honestly i'm a bit ok with TitS on that trope compared to ToCS, not sure why though probably because I find Elise and Joshua tandem to be infinitely more likeable. I also hated that everyone, especially Alfin, pushed that romance Rean-Elise. And don't let me start about their hot spring/bath convos...

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly i'm a bit ok with TitS on that trope compared to ToCS, not sure why though probably because I find Elise and Joshua tandem to be infinitely more likeable. I also hated that everyone, especially Alfin, pushed that romance Rean-Elise. And don't let me start about their hot spring/bath convos...

A big difference is that Estelle and Joshua met when they were 11. Elise was like 3 when Rean was adopted, so it's really a completely different relationship.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The dynamics of the relationship are also way different in more ways than one, with both internal/external factors at play.

With Joshua/Estelle, one could tell early on that Joshua was - imo - pretty obviously in love with Estelle and despite being close, he's always had this weird filter between their relationship where he's more like a childhood friend that's very close to Estelle, at least from his perspective. That, and there's, what I would say, "minimal' outside force egging em on non-stop on a "will they don't they", where we saw that Schera can see through their relationship, but for all intents and purpose, everyone in Sky was more than comfortable to not prod the issue and let Estelle/Joshua develop its natural course.

Elise and Rean just doesn't have those things. Their relationship, even the hints of romantic attraction from Elise's side - are more or less built on top of their familial relationship. Rean doesn't see her that way, but constant outside force meta-commentating on his sister complex and the non-stop egging by other girls that are more or less okay with Elise pursuing Rean just makes it all the more annoying.

This is partially related, but it's one of my minor complaints with CS3 - the continued meta-commentary and highlighting of stuff that we already know of/was already commented prior, but kept getting brought up again and again to a point of "sheesh, enough already."

Case in point - Rean being Erebonia's no.3 bachelor ( or somewhere in top 5, etc etc ) - Personally, I don't think it's bad thing and despite being brought up throughout the game, some parts earned it or is really cute/amusing, such as
Towa's moment when her Aunt/Uncle started planning out her 3-year marriage plan with Rean
, but that was nice because it wasn't brought up again another dozen times, and is a one-time amusing interaction that utilises the fact that Rean is a highly desirable bachelor.

But it kinda got unnecessary the 15th time that Randy or New Class 7 comments on it.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A big difference is that Estelle and Joshua met when they were 11. Elise was like 3 when Rean was adopted, so it's really a completely different relationship.
Was it 11? I thought it was way younger since it's been ages since I last played TitS.
The dynamics of the relationship are also way different in more ways than one, with both internal/external factors at play.

With Joshua/Estelle, one could tell early on that Joshua was - imo - pretty obviously in love with Estelle and despite being close, he's always had this weird filter between their relationship where he's more like a childhood friend that's very close to Estelle, at least from his perspective. That, and there's, what I would say, "minimal' outside force egging em on non-stop on a "will they don't they", where we saw that Schera can see through their relationship, but for all intents and purpose, everyone in Sky was more than comfortable to not prod the issue and let Estelle/Joshua develop its natural course.

Elise and Rean just doesn't have those things. Their relationship, even the hints of romantic attraction from Elise's side - are more or less built on top of their familial relationship. Rean doesn't see her that way, but constant outside force meta-commentating on his sister complex and the non-stop egging by other girls that are more or less okay with Elise pursuing Rean just makes it all the more annoying.

This is partially related, but it's one of my minor complaints with CS3 - the continued meta-commentary and highlighting of stuff that we already know of/was already commented prior, but kept getting brought up again and again to a point of "sheesh, enough already."

Case in point - Rean being Erebonia's no.3 bachelor ( or somewhere in top 5, etc etc ) - Personally, I don't think it's bad thing and despite being brought up throughout the game, some parts earned it or is really cute/amusing, such as
Towa's moment when her Aunt/Uncle started planning out her 3-year marriage plan with Rean
, but that was nice because it wasn't brought up again another dozen times, and is a one-time amusing interaction that utilises the fact that Rean is a highly desirable bachelor.

But it kinda got unnecessary the 15th time that Randy or New Class 7 comments on it.
Now this is a perfect explanation why I found the relationship TitS to be a lot better.

I hope they stopped with the harem / select your waifu thing in Trails of Calvard

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I hope they stopped with the harem / select your waifu thing in Trails of Calvard

I'm fine with harem - but what I don't like is when harem elements hurt or diminish other aspects of an ensemble.

Overtly is things like Millium's bond events, which are highly important to her character development - being locked behind 'select your waifu/bond' systems.
On a more subtle note is when it doesn't feel even though Class 7 is a big group of friends that all care for each other, too much of it flows through Rean - and in that sense, the fact that Jusis, Elliot, Machias, Gaius and Rean - for example, has never had a moment where they had 'guy-bonding' altogether doesn't feel all-that-natural.

It's the same problem that Atlus has with Persona 4 - and to lesser extent, Persona 5. Ironically Persona 3 is the one that avoided this the most.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with harem - but what I don't like is when harem elements hurt or diminish other aspects of an ensemble.

Overtly is things like Millium's bond events, which are highly important to her character development - being locked behind 'select your waifu/bond' systems.
On a more subtle note is when it doesn't feel even though Class 7 is a big group of friends that all care for each other, too much of it flows through Rean - and in that sense, the fact that Jusis, Elliot, Machias, Gaius and Rean - for example, has never had a moment where they had 'guy-bonding' altogether doesn't feel all-that-natural.

It's the same problem that Atlus has with Persona 4 - and to lesser extent, Persona 5. Ironically Persona 3 is the one that avoided this the most.
That's the problem with the harem thing, theres not much interpersonal drama or relationship without Rean in the middle. With wide variety of personality and background, it's kinda bummer that no relationship (romantic or close to it) is happening in between Old Class 7. It's the same problem with Persona because I think they're actually copying some of that into these games especially 1 and 2.

They should stop limiting bonding points in NG too and make it a reward for say attaining higher grade during chapters.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Someone could clarify something for me.

In TOCS3 there's a womanizer character named Sidney. Just now in my game he said this in regards to Rean because his chick magnet ability: "I'm burning with jealousy! That damn Chad needs to backflip onto a landmine already!"

Isn't "chad" incel terminology? or does it predate that? Why would the people localizing put that lmao.
well, this is the company that that named someone STD for the lulz so it isn't very surprising.

it's kinda like Aksys and their "taking the L" nonsense which is far too localised to be put in a game for a broad western market like this.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Someone could clarify something for me.

In TOCS3 there's a womanizer character named Sidney. Just now in my game he said this in regards to Rean because his chick magnet ability: "I'm burning with jealousy! That damn Chad needs to backflip onto a landmine already!"

Isn't "chad" incel terminology? or does it predate that? Why would the people localizing put that lmao.

Is it now? I had no idea. Now, I am neither male, nor American (though white), plus English isn't my first language, so maybe it wouldn't be surprising that I do not know this.

But for what it is worth: I knew the term even way before my 17-year-old self hit the internet 11 years ago. Must have read it in some text from English class. Which leads me to believe the term existed way before incel culture was even a thing, meaning it's an acquired term. And seeing how I didn't know this was used by them, even though I hang around English speaking internet all the time these days, means not everyone might know this.

Not saying the person who translated this didn't. Maybe they did, maybe they did not. But seeing how I didn't know myself I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt. (Or maybe not knowing says more about me than it does about them, idk.)

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Rean never showed any indication of thinking of Elise as anything more than a sister in CS2 (as far as I remember), I hope that hasn't changed

If I had my way there would be no romance between teenage characters at all in Calvard, I don't like it particualrly in Cold Steel and I certainly didn't like it in Sky

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Zero romantic stuff between the main cast would certainly be a nice breath of fresh air.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Rean never showed any indication of thinking of Elise as anything more than a sister in CS2 (as far as I remember), I hope that hasn't changed

If I had my way there would be no romance between teenage characters at all in Calvard, I don't like it particualrly in Cold Steel and I certainly didn't like it in Sky

Well, so far it certainly hasn't. Whenever the girls continue to tease him about it he doesn't even get their angle, that's how much he doesn't consider it.

"Oooh, do you not have a lovely, beautiful young sister, my dear Rean?!"

Rean (nonchalantly because he really doesn't get the hint): "Sure do. All the more reason for me as her brother to make sure the wrong characters don't go after her."

(That conversation never happened in this literal form, but there are 23483 variations of it in there.)

It does help a little that despite still clearly having a thing for him, she doesn't get flustered as easily anymore (character development!).

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
It's probably because I don't have the same patience anymore, but I'm taking a break after 40 hours. I'm currently in chapter 2, I know these games are slow, but God, nothing happened so far. The pacing is killing me.
Other annoyances are the Tehehes, the Hehehes and the Bwahahas, the camera shots at silent characters thinking "I know shit but I'm not telling youuu, because fuck you", the villains that talk for 30 minutes and then flee because people weaker than Piccolo came to fight, etc.
Will certainly finish it but right now I'm more annoyed than anything. Boss fights are cool though because some require a certain strategy.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
Finished my plat last night. I had to beat it a third time because I somehow missed a chest on both my original and nightmare runs. Sigh. Lol. 105 hours on the clock. And that was with full s marks for all three runs. I'm a monster

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
besides that one scene where they fall on top of each other at the beginning, nothing else really happens between them throughout the rest of the game

Still ship them tho, they're cute. I enjoy Juna being extra at every emotion and Kurt literally being like "halp she is so emberassing!!!!" all the time but he clearly still cares (not that that is inherently romantic, Altina cares too after all, I just think it's cute).

also there was that one comment about third-wheeling from Altina, if you wanna count that.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Replaying Cold Steel 1 after finishing 3.

When you walk into the Engineering Building.

Looking at Crow and George. "You're an asshole, and you're an asshole. You are both assholes."

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Replaying Cold Steel 1 after finishing 3.

When you walk into the Engineering Building.

Looking at Crow and George. "You're an asshole, and you're an asshole. You are both assholes."

Damn I saw CS1 and dumbly clicked on the spoiler before noticing the 3 part. Well at least it was vague lol.

But AAAHHHH how am I just now remembering that George's last name is literally fucking NOME lmao.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Major Michael's concept art is all infinitely cooler than his final design.

latest

latest

latest

Instead we get Generic McGenericson over here

latest

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you remove his hat, he's one hair palette swap away from NPC #2764 who was a crooked businessman in a side quest.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
The optional side quest fight in Chapter 2 with The Principal is ridiculously hard on Hard.

- Hits like a tank
- Crafts can inflict random status effects (one of my losses was instant because they inflicted petrify on me)
- Art attack takes your attack power down to 90-100 for multiple turns and with their speed they can spam it with no turn to dodge
- If you use an S-craft to interrupt their turn they'll attack 4 times in a row on the next turn
- Around 1/2 HP they buff and use an S-craft that is an instant KO unless you have Iron will formation activated and at least 4000HP
- Has a mini-boss amount of HP to defeat
- Finally, once you've started you can only get out of it by reloading a save because it considers a loss a normal loss

I finally won by a combination of dumb luck and building up a strategy over the course of 15+ fights.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The optional side quest fight in Chapter 2 with The Principal is ridiculously hard on Hard.

- Hits like a tank
- Crafts can inflict random status effects (one of my losses was instant because they inflicted petrify on me)
- Art attack takes your attack power down to 90-100 for multiple turns and with her speed she can spam it with no turn to dodge
- If you use an S-craft to interrupt their turn they'll attack 4 times in a row on the next turn
- Around 1/2 HP they buff and use an S-craft that is an instant KO unless you have Iron will formation activated and at least 4000HP
- Finally, once you started you can only get out of it by reloading a save because it considers a loss a normal loss

I finally won by a combination of dumb luck and building up a strategy over the course of 15+ fights.
Which fight was that? Aurelia?

Oct 25, 2017

- Hits like a tank
- Art attack takes your attack power down to 90-100 for multiple turns and with their speed they can spam it with no turn to dodge
- Finally, once you've started you can only get out of it by reloading a save because it considers a loss a normal loss

I gave up on that one on Nightmare. One of the few times where I just felt like there was pretty much no chance at victory.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
So only in chapter 1 so far but like 20 hours in and loving my time with it. Only played Cs 1 and 2 then went back and played FC and SC so slightly out of the loop on Crossbell but have a gist of what happened.

Can't wait to play more. Everytime a character shows up I know I get pretty fan boy and excited every time ha ha.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017

- Hits like a tank

This is why I didn't do Hard on my first playthroughs. I remember doing that in CS1 and getting absolutely creamed by the Chapter 2 boss. Took up to an hour to beat after devising a strategy through 15+ fights with them.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I gave up on that one on Nightmare. One of the few times where I just felt like there was pretty much no chance at victory.

What I ended up doing is opening with Iron Will formation, using a 200 s-craft immediately on my turn, and then maintaining Iron WIll/increasing my HP any time it dropped below 4000. After they used their S-Craft I swapped to the attack increasing formation and used my once again 200 S-Craft again to finish.

MegamanFreak

Oct 27, 2017

- Hits like a tank

Insight is all you really need, plus get close so that you can counter attack. I played on hard, and only took two tries. Also, use saintly force, that buff that gives you a big strength boost.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Yeah you equip Kurt's Master Quartz and cast Shining and then just counterattack. When the boss buffs up you attack once more but interrupt that attack to get your 200cp S-Break in right after it for the win.

Easy Peasy.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden

- Hits like a tank

Sirius MQ, Rage quartz (this will make sure that counterattacks always deal critical damage), equip Evade 1, 2 or 3 quartz, then use Shining art in battle (evasion +50% while active)

Get close as possible, and turn Hard mode into easy modo.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like how Celine just doesn't give a shit anymore about people knowing she can talk.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the game. What was that.

It's heartless not to release IV next year.

Anyone know if they fixed the broken stuff on IV? Like Breaking and Lightspeed Flash stunlocking

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Just beat the game. What was that.

It's heartless not to release IV next year.

Anyone know if they fixed the broken stuff on IV? Like Breaking and Lightspeed Flash stunlocking
They will definitely release IV next year. NISA has likely already been working on it for a while and the script is shorter than the one in this game.