• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Where/how do I combine the zemurian ore shards? I did the quest with the full ore but I can't see a way to combine the shards.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

GOOD.

Well, the only one I care about is Juna's Lloyd cosplay. I know that one was exclusive to digital pre-orders at first, not sure about the others.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Yay finished :) can't wait for 4! Hope it ends the saga well.

not sure if I wanna do the nightmare run now or wait till later. I figure it shouldn't take that long, maybe like 5 hours since I don't plan on doing any quests as there's little point. Or maybe I should for the accessories and stuff. Hmmm.

occ86

Oct 30, 2017
Considering this is a CS3 thread I don't know if I have to spoiler CS2 stuff, but just in case I will do that:
I loved Crow and was really sad when he died.

With that being said, I'm at CS3 chapter 2 right now and I swear if that teaser means
that he actually is alive I'm going to be so mad. I mean it looked like him (except no face was shown) and it was his voice I think.

I just hate shit like this.
For Osborne it was kinda believable since he probably planned for all of this and just faked his death, but if Crow actually survived it would simply be bullshit.

Also Falcom, we get it already, every woman is in love with Rean. Like holy shit this got so bad in chapter 2.
Sorry for all the swearing.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
I hate that there is never a super hard secret boss that needs to be tackled with max levels and best equipment, Atlus games have me spoiled.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm slowly progressing and just finished Chapter 3. This one had one of the hypest boss fights of the whole series, and the best of the Cold Steel series so far.
I like that I finally got to go apeshit with all the broken systems the game offers.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
There are lines of dialog near the end game which are clearly meant to be spoken by a different character but the dialog box is for the wrong person.

To be fair, I am 6 hours into Pokémon Shield and this so far has happened thrice in the German localization of it. And this is Nintendo we are talking about.

Not to mention stuff like using present tense for characters who have been dead for years and regularly referring to stuff that happened two days ago as "yesterday".

The latter did happen in CS1 and 2 as well though, if I remember correctly? I can't pinpoint a specific event but I do remember going "BUT THIS HAPPENED TWO WEEKS AGO WHAT ARE U SAYING" all the time. Makes me think it's actually in the original script too.

As for the localization, one thing I have noticed is that neither translator nor editor apparently know the difference between "then" and "than". Lol

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Can anyone give me a list of the locations for the black records? Feel like I missed one in a certain province in chapt 2.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I almost picked up all three of these games the other day, but for some reason I always change my mind.

Something about feeling like I will be missing out by not having played the other arcs of Trails before this just puts me off the purchase. I wish it didn't.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I almost picked up all three of these games the other day, but for some reason I always change my mind.

Something about feeling like I will be missing out by not having played the other arcs of Trails before this just puts me off the purchase. I wish it didn't.

it's worth it. You'll have a greater appreciation thanks to the bigger picture.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017

Well, you absolutely will be missing out if you don't play the older games. One of the main appeals of the series is that there's an overarching plot set in the same world across nine games now from multiple perspectives. It's not like Final Fantasy where it's almost always a new cast and setting.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
EDIT: This is just by the way but I finally bought Ys 8. It was 50% off on the European eshop so I figured I might as well. I won't play it for a while though, but it is sitting on my switch now.

Whilst I do agree with the replies above in general, so if you can play the other games please do, I myself didn't have the means (my laptop has trouble browsing the internet so... Uuh) or the time to go back to the older games. So I ended up not playing them and starting with Cold Steel 1 on PS4.

I did however watch Lady Virgilia's plot summary videos on YouTube for all Sky and Crossbell games. Those really get you up to speed and whilst I might not have the emotional attachment to some characters that a lot of people here who have played all games in the series have... I do understand everything that is going on.

So if you can't play the other arcs for whatever reason, I would suggest watching the summary videos and you should be good to go. It will not be as rewarding in some aspects, mainly when some of the characters from previous games show up, but it will still be pretty darn great. (But be aware that those summary videos themselves might take you 10 hours or so to watch in total so xD).

I'd always rather have someone play only some of the great games in the series than not play them at all.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
You don't even need to watch summary videos. The Cold Steel games explain what you need to know. The earlier games should be played for their own merits, but if you want to skip them you can do it and understand what's going on. Or go back and play them later. Like for all the talk of how important Crossbell was for CS3, it really isn't. You can play Zero and Ao after CS3 just fine.

People do this series a disservice with the gatekeeping and telling people that they have to play all the games in release order.

Last edited:

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
lol don't think it was the intention but i cracked up laughing at the end of chapter 3
There are too many charcters now with too many cheesy monikers now too. It was cool when one or two people had one, but every asshole got one now.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
lol don't think it was the intention but i cracked up laughing at the end of chapter 3
There are too many charcters now with too many cheesy monikers now too. It was cool when one or two people had one, but every asshole got one now.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was telling myself. Any second now, I expect The Ochre Flatulence to step in.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: This is just by the way but I finally bought Ys 8. It was 50% off on the European eshop so I figured I might as well. I won't play it for a while though, but it is sitting on my switch now.

Whilst I do agree with the replies above in general, so if you can play the other games please do, I myself didn't have the means (my laptop has trouble browsing the internet so... Uuh) or the time to go back to the older games. So I ended up not playing them and starting with Cold Steel 1 on PS4.

I did however watch Lady Virgilia's plot summary videos on YouTube for all Sky and Crossbell games. Those really get you up to speed and whilst I might not have the emotional attachment to some characters that a lot of people here who have played all games in the series have... I do understand everything that is going on.

So if you can't play the other arcs for whatever reason, I would suggest watching the summary videos and you should be good to go. It will not be as rewarding in some aspects, mainly when some of the characters from previous games show up, but it will still be pretty darn great. (But be aware that those summary videos themselves might take you 10 hours or so to watch in total so xD).

I'd always rather have someone play only some of the great games in the series than not play them at all.

I played the Sky games, but the others are much harder to find because I don't own a Vita etc.

The responses here pretty much back up my theory I shouldn't buy the game. I hate feeling like I am missing out on the story in RPGs, and this would just bother me too much.

Oh well, they look like great games!

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Man what an amazing ending. I never expected them to hug it off like that. CANNOT WAIT for the sequel.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
I played the Sky games, but the others are much harder to find because I don't own a Vita etc.

The responses here pretty much back up my theory I shouldn't buy the game. I hate feeling like I am missing out on the story in RPGs, and this would just bother me too much.

Well, if you already played all three of the Sky games, you just have the Crossbell duology and the Cold Steel games left to go. There's a fan translation on PC for Crossbell, though the one for Zero is rough, though a better translation should be out really soon, early 2020 at the latest, I'd imagine.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

To be honest it shouldn't matter in which order you play Crossbell or the first two Cold Steel games as they take place concurrently in the world. So you could at least give the first two games a try.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017

If you've played the Sky games you can just play Cold Steel 1/2, and by the time you're done with those there should be decent fan translations for both Crossbell games. They take place at the same time in-universe anyways and each always spoil a littl from the other side, so regardless of which order you play them in that will happen.

If you can't play the Crossbell games on PC for some reason or another... Well, whether you play the Cold Steel games or not us ultimately your decision, all I can say is I don't feel like I am missing any story points having watched the summary videos. Only the emotional aspect of it.

But alas I can't say I don't get you. If I had had the means to play the other games I would have preferred to do so myself. RPGs are about stories after all.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Platinum obtained. Just gotta read the notebook and black records and I can delete it. See you all next year in September/October for CS4... I hope :)

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
I'm only midway through chapter 4 and I am already ????????

I wanna continue playing but instead I am stuck trying to get rid off an awfully persistent admirer that just DOES NOT GET THE MESSAGE. ugh. Some of you are men, right? What part of "I am not interested in you?" does he not get??? I am grateful for any type of enlightenment, but you may also feel free to ignore this, I just needed to vent somewhere I knew he wouldn't see it.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only midway through chapter 4 and I am already ????????

I wanna continue playing but instead I am stuck trying to get rid off an awfully persistent admirer that just DOES NOT GET THE MESSAGE. ugh. Some of you are men, right? What part of "I am not interested in you?" does he not get??? I am grateful for any type of enlightenment, but you may also feel free to ignore this, I just needed to vent somewhere I knew he wouldn't see it.
For a second, I thought that was a meta-commentary about Musse. But yeah, that sucks, condolences.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it.
Holy FUCKING shit at the ending.

Rean going bersek, fucking everything up and starting Third Impact from Evangelion was something I did not expect.
Millium and Olivert dead? Also that god damn cliffhanger, I need CS IV like fucking now

Oct 25, 2017
You can tell they rushed to localize at the end, chapter 5 is mistake central.
certainly hasnt just been the very end, between not caring at all about new class vii and the bad localization i'm still stuck in chapter 1.

I'm finally pushed through enough that
Laura showed up and was dope as fuck
and so I'm a bit more motivated to play, but 1 awkward sounding conversation away from feeling lethargic again

The thing that I haven't seen mentioned thats also bothering me, is it feels like even when editing well enough for individual lines, they didn't really put any effort into looking at the scene as a whole. Redundant info abounds, and awkward responses when given the wording of who the person is responding too

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
I finished this yesterday. I think I liked it even more than the previous CS games, so yeah, I loved it.

However, there are some things I'm not a big fan of.
  • While I think this one's better paced than the previous two, I still think that it could be better paced. Like, I feel like the plot didn't advance much during the
    first three chapters. Then it seemed like it started to gradually move forward during the fourth chapter and then they put a huge lore dump in the last chapter.
  • Rean's harem. Holy shit, why the hell is this even a thing??? It's so obvious that Alisa is the canon girl.
    Out of the three romance options, Alisa is the one who gets a kiss. I would't even count Emma's as a romantic scene.
  • Fourth chapter's dungeon was a damn slug. Fuck that dungeon
    I hate it when they force me to use all the damn characters
  • The structure of the chapters is way too repetitive. Personally speaking, I don't care much about what happens during the campus segments.
The game probably has the hypest moments and the worst (or is it the best???) cliffhanger in the trails series, and, the best of it all
in the important moments we didn't get a "huh, you're better than expected, but I was only using like 3% of my power. Now I'll proceed to kick your asses before some random character (who isn't even supposed to be that strong) comes to save you."

I was trying to go for the plat, but it seems I missed some chests and battle notes and that's a pain the ass, so I won't bother with it.

Anyway, can't wait for CS IV!!!

Towa has it really rough...

I hate it when you beat the ever living shit out of a boss but then your whole team is laying on the ground and have had their asses handed to em.
At the very least now it only happens with the new class VII members, so there's that.

an offscreen death in a trail game, especially cs3? Yeah no way she's dead, haha...
Even if it was on screen, it seems like everyone gets revived lol