• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
-Does anyone die in this series? I wish this series had a little more consequence to it. No one dies. Pulling a fakeout once is ok. Like with Osborne. But then Crow comes back and I'm like..........come on now. Then Alisas father........When Toval Arseid and Olivert "died" I just kinda rolled my eyes. The game taught me that they'll be fine, and they probably will be. Dunno, just what I got from it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Agreed.
At this point only Celdics mayor has died for real.

I see this problem in japanese storytelling as a whole. They have issues letting the dead reallly die.
Im fine with reviving a character, its fine. But then you revive 4 characters and it seems like a joke at that point.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't the next Kiseki arc with those two facing away(upper left)?
Best case it's Calvard arc so the memes can end.

They are working in two games
One is the next arc and another is the fifth game on Erebonia (not a "direct sequel", many speculate is something like Sky 3)

Some spoilers in the article linked below, don't click if you want to play CSIV completely blind!

https://www.dualshockers.com/next-kiseki-game-artwork-female-protagonist-possible/

The Kiseki series has currently two games in development. One is a spinoff-like game for the Trails of Cold Steel saga and will release sooner, and the other one will be the continuation of the Kiseki series and will release later. It'll be the start of a new saga which will take place in the east of the Zemuria continent/

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, they are definitely dragging out Erebonia then. More Kiseki is never bad, OST alone gives me life.

Oct 27, 2017
On the harem.

I feel ya and do did JP players. They were annoyed with how they were play too much on the fence with giving Alisa extra but still giving choices. They Kondo said he preferred Alisa but didn't want to take away player choice here, but still did it like this in cs3. It was either commit to Alisa or open the gates for CS4. We'll see how that goes
Why would Rean commit to Alisa when a certain witchy Queen is available? Alisa sucks.

I'm on Chapter 4 and depressed at the the idea of Cold Steel 3 ending. I'm putting it off until the xmas holidays.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
How can the opening spoil something?

If they put an image in the opening, then that's when they want you to see it.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
On the topic of Erebonia arc

If you count the first game was in 2013 and the last probably in 2020. So yeah, no wonder it feels that it's taking much longer to complete the story.

Sky trilogy took 3 years (2004-2007) and Zero + Ao in 2 (2010-2011)

But! You have to remember that Erebonia Arc had a break between CS2 and 3. As you can see they took their time to update the engine. And CS3 and CS4 are closing plot points of Zero+Ao too.

And lastly... My opinion! Even if I have many criticisms I really like Cold Steel, and while I can't wait to see a new arc (possibly 2021?). Having a game like 3rd that focus on backstories of side characters, which CS have a lot and many are currently underutilized, and hinting the future plot points in the next arcs (we are still seeing things that were mentioned in 3rd) really excites me.
But what I can say? I'm aboard the Trails hype train since the PSP days and my ticket is a permanent one.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
So I think I don't have long to go to the end and just...

I am however utterly disappointed in Claire, Sharon and Millium. I have at least some faith Millium is just playing an angle and gonna turn on them in the right moment, because she did seem genuinely concerned when Rean last talked to her. And especially after that speech she gave in Chapter 4 about Class VII this would be a pretty low blow from her. However I don't think Claire and Sharon are gonna turn around or anything, which begs the question why they would go along with something like this (heck, even Vita turned against Ourobouros for this one, so why???). Especially Sharon, given how much freedom Enforcers are supposed to have one must assume she decided this for herself. I mean even if it is out of loyalty to Franz Reinford or whatever the dude calls himself now, and out of loyalty towards the Chancellor for Claire (and Millium if she ends up sticking with them). .. Unless there is a reason to this we don't know about, that isn't being loyal, that is being dumb.

I do agree that the plot kind of does Claire and Sharon dirty at that point, like the game really just wanted to have you fight EVERYONE even though there's no good reason for them to fight you and afterwards they don't seem to care that much that you got past them.

-Unable to revive downed characters who were swapped out automatically.............Just why??????

-Does anyone die in this series? I wish this series had a little more consequence to it. No one dies. Pulling a fakeout once is ok. Like with Osborne. But then Crow comes back and I'm like..........come on now. Then Alisas father........When Toval Arseid and Olivert "died" I just kinda rolled my eyes. The game taught me that they'll be fine, and they probably will be. Dunno, just what I got from it. Maybe I'm wrong.
-

I found out that 'revive all' items actually revive people who got swapped out too. The dragon incense I think it is called?

I like that no one dies and I hope everyone from the end of this game comes back!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I've said it somewhere else already, but I definitely hope they'll go back to two game arcs. The Cold Steel games would've only benefited from a considerably snappier pace and major fat cutting, but it is what it is.

Anyway. Disco Elysium has ruined other story-heavy games for me so I've decided to drop CS3 for now and return.. Some day. I dunno, maybe next year or something. There hasn't been even a single peep regarding a potential PC port or anything like that, right?

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like I've said it somewhere else already, but I definitely hope they'll go back to two game arcs. The Cold Steel games would've only benefited from a considerably snappier pace and major fat cutting, but it is what it is.

Anyway. Disco Elysium has ruined other story-heavy games for me so I've decided to drop CS3 for now and return.. Some day. I dunno, maybe next year or something. There hasn't been even a single peep regarding a potential PC port or anything like that, right?
kondo has been quite firm in trying to aim for shorter arcs again, it should be doable too with Cold Steel being a result of poorer planning and taking huge technological leaps (for them)

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
They're going to need to stop upping the stakes and scale if they want shorter arcs. Maybe have a smaller local conflict and not have a continent wide doomsday scenario.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Imho bigger arcs are a conseguence of shrinking sales in Japan and to compensate higher cost for more demanding grapichs and with ps5 next year i cannot see It change. Or maybe next strategy Is more upscaled ports from ps4 to ps5 or thing like next title similar to the third between new arcs..

Oct 25, 2017
I do agree that the plot kind of does Claire and Sharon dirty at that point, like the game really just wanted to have you fight EVERYONE even though there's no good reason for them to fight you and afterwards they don't seem to care that much that you got past them.

I found out that 'revive all' items actually revive people who got swapped out too. The dragon incense I think it is called?

I like that no one dies and I hope everyone from the end of this game comes back!

Ohh really on the revive? Huh. Had a few of those, would have been nice to know. Ohh well.

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, but in CS2 if you replayed the game, you got access to the black records, and you found out Thomas is part of the graslritter.

Anything like that again in CS3 or no? Any lore I'm missing by not replaying the game?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question, but in CS2 if you replayed the game, you got access to the black records, and you found out Thomas is part of the graslritter.

Anything like that again in CS3 or no? Any lore I'm missing by not replaying the game?
I think it was confirmed that nothing like that is in CS3 *and* 4. There might be some bonuses (an extra scene, optional enemies/bosses) but nothing on the scale of CSII's Black Records hunt.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I see the game by itself is £35 on psn while the digital deluxe is £65, but the only difference between them is "premium cosmetic bundle"..
What does that consist of to cost an extra £30?

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
-And screw the opening movies for these games. I have regretted it every time.

Having said all that, beautiful game like usual. It's gonna be hard saying bye to all these characters after CS4.
Trails openings are always spoilery and Ao's evo opening is the worst offender. CS4's opening is an absolute banger and spoils nothing other than Rean and Valimar's current situation.

Especially since they're the longest running characters in series history. Gonna feel like shit for a couple of days after finishing the final game.

Oct 25, 2017
trust me, nothing worth it unless you want some dumb accessories

Yeah, I didn't change anything about my characters.

Actually, thats not true. When Rean is at school, he changes to the casual white shirt. I think that is something he would do.

Trails openings are always spoilery and Ao's evo opening is the worst offender. CS4's opening is an absolute banger and spoils nothing other than Rean and Valimar's current situation.

Especially since they're the longest running characters in series history. Gonna feel like shit for a couple of days after finishing the final game.

That Crow reveal in the opening really pissed me off. I genuinely had no idea he came back to life, then I watched the opening and I'm like "...........wait.........Crow is alive again? And he fights with Rean?"
And its not something that happens in the first couple hours. His reveal is at the end of the second chapter which was near the 40 hour mark for me. NEVER AGAIN for any Trails games. Fuck that. I'll watch them after finishing the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'd love to read the wiki on this series and learn more. But obviously they introduce cs4 plot points, so it's hard to enjoy.
I really wish there was an alternative that only goes up to cs3.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Finally started up my copy a few days ago. As usual my progress is slow as I take in all the new sights.

I have to ask: are there any rewards from playing Vantage Master other than collecting all the cards? Not really a fan of card games but Blade and Blade II was nice because it didn't require much from me in the way of management or had much depth so I could just breeze on by for the bonding points, but this new game seems like it might require more of a commitment. Maybe on a second playthrough I'll give it a chance, but right now I just want to focus on the main game.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
The fact that 33% of people already have the trophy for beating this long ass game makes me think it didn't sell especially well.
Most buyers are Indeed fans so they finish It asap.
Had it been portable i would have finished It already but being struck on ps4 on TV time to play Is scarcer.T There are others trails portable fans also.
Making a franchise grow with a number 3 on the title Is hard, that Is way arcs should be shorter for new fans to jump in and why It should be multiplatform (switch and pc).
Because actual Wester fanbase Is imho not enought (reason to pursuit switch platform) and they cannot waste the pc support so far also (reason to pursuit pc port) and a shrinking japanese fanbase will be a problem in the future of they Jump on ps5 (and It will be a problem not jumping for future west Sales since in the west a new platform replace the old One faster than Japan). imho

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally started up my copy a few days ago. As usual my progress is slow as I take in all the new sights.

I have to ask: are there any rewards from playing Vantage Master other than collecting all the cards? Not really a fan of card games but Blade and Blade II was nice because it didn't require much from me in the way of management or had much depth so I could just breeze on by for the bonding points, but this new game seems like it might require more of a commitment. Maybe on a second playthrough I'll give it a chance, but right now I just want to focus on the main game.

There is a reward, but nothing super game-changing.

There's some optional AP you can get if you invest at least a cursory effort into getting good cards down the line, and if you do get all the cards you'll eventually get a Master Quartz.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The fact that 33% of people already have the trophy for beating this long ass game makes me think it didn't sell especially well.
NNISA would be very stupid thinking this is a release that won't cater only to people that already had played previous games, the 33% is a normal zone where you'd expect people to be at when they're playing a sequel; these are vets that already know what they're looking for so they won't drop it as quickly.
It's like when you compare achievements from TitS FC and SC, the percentages are a lot higher because only people interested start the game really.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
NISA being in charge and their shitty standards might have scared some buyers , but I'd say Kiseki fan base while small it's loyal .
It's the third entry, a sequel to both CSII and Ao and it isn't available on PC. I suppose they had their expectations in check. (And I hope the deal was for both III and IV)

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
If i skipped a black records on chapter 2 Will i be able to take It back further in the game? In am already at chapter 3...
So far best cold steel but people should tell falcom that briefing are boring imho.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
If i skipped a black records on chapter 2 Will i be able to take It back further in the game? In am already at chapter 3...
So far best cold steel but people should tell falcom that briefing are boring imho.
I think Jingo sells all missed things in her bargain bin.
I know I bought few cards and a BR there

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'd love to read the wiki on this series and learn more. But obviously they introduce cs4 plot points, so it's hard to enjoy.
I really wish there was an alternative that only goes up to cs3.

Yeah, went in there and got myself a big old spoiler pretty much right away. Never going back there until I finish cs4.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
There is a reward, but nothing super game-changing.

There's some optional AP you can get if you invest at least a cursory effort into getting good cards down the line, and if you do get all the cards you'll eventually get a Master Quartz.
Hm... I'd hate to miss out on either of those. Guess I'll just go for it, thankfully I found out you can just retry matches without penalty so I'll probably just bruteforce my way through.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweet baby Aidios that chapter 4 ending. I'm scared of whatever cliffhanger's coming but I sure can't turn back now.

I had a feeling the Emperor would end up dead as soon as Rean had to go meet with him in private. I really thought Rean was going to be framed for his murder somehow... I breathed a sigh of relief when he left him alive lol, then Ash popped up and I knew it was over. I can't imagine this will reflect well on the branch campus, Rean, and Olivert. HOW CONVENIENT. Is this why Cedric tried to get Rean and Kurt to transfer to the main campus... because he wanted to give them a chance to get out before his father's clearly planned murder dragged them all down? Ash ain't the only one with a devil in his ear.

Rufus' little CSI moment, complete with dramatic sound effect to close the chapter, was amazing lol.

I don't even know where to begin with Osborne's "surprise bitch! I'm literally heartless!" For someone who gave his heart to his son, he sure doesn't seem to care for Rean in the slightest. I'm starting to wonder if he's intentionally antagonizing Rean because he wants him to become the hero that rises up to defeat him. The Emperor seemed to believe their actions will somehow lift the curse that hangs over Erebonia, so I'm beginning to think this is all some twisted martyr scheme. Or Osbourne's just an asshole on a power high. Or both.

Poor Ash though... damn. He's easily become one of my favorites, even though his major plot relevance does feel a bit shoehorned. I won't let them execute him. :(

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet baby Aidios that chapter 4 ending. I'm scared of whatever cliffhanger's coming but I sure can't turn back now.

I had a feeling the Emperor would end up dead as soon as Rean had to go meet with him in private. I really thought Rean was going to be framed for his murder somehow... I breathed a sigh of relief when he left him alive lol, then Ash popped up and I knew it was over. I can't imagine this will reflect well on the branch campus, Rean, and Olivert. HOW CONVENIENT. Is this why Cedric tried to get Rean and Kurt to transfer to the main campus... because he wanted to give them a chance to get out before his father's clearly planned murder dragged them all down? Ash ain't the only one with a devil in his ear.

Rufus' little CSI moment, complete with dramatic sound effect to close the chapter, was amazing lol.

I don't even know where to begin with Osborne's "surprise bitch! I'm literally heartless!" For someone who gave his heart to his son, he sure doesn't seem to care for Rean in the slightest. I'm starting to wonder if he's intentionally antagonizing Rean because he wants him to become the hero that rises up to defeat him. The Emperor seemed to believe their actions will somehow lift the curse that hangs over Erebonia, so I'm beginning to think this is all some twisted martyr scheme. Or Osbourne's just an asshole on a power high. Or both.

Poor Ash though... damn. He's easily become one of my favorites, even though his major plot relevance does feel a bit shoehorned. I won't let them execute him. :(

Ash is an awesome addition to class 7. I won't say any more though till you beat the game.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017

I cancelled meeting with friends to finish CS 3 and I did not regret it lol. You are in for a ride once you reach final stretch mark.

Trust me.

Hm... I'd hate to miss out on either of those. Guess I'll just go for it, thankfully I found out you can just retry matches without penalty so I'll probably just bruteforce my way through.
Vantage Master is super easy once you get Thief Master Card which breaks everything (one of the students grants it once you beat him, do not remember which one).

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
I cancelled meeting with friends to finish CS 3 and I did not regret it lol. You are in for a ride once you reach final stretch mark.

Trust me.

Which is why I am only gonna start going for the rest once I am sure I have time lol.

I was originally gonna do it this Sunday but now my plans changed... Monday or Tuesday it is then.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Vantage Master is super easy once you get Thief Master Card which breaks everything (one of the students grants it once you beat him, do not remember which one).

Frankly all you need is Ranger, one or two powerful back row attackers, all the buff cards and every cheap card you can fit into the remaining space as front row filler to win against every player except maybe Rutger, who will probably out-DPS you regardless if he gets lucky early

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't finished yet, but holy fuck...
Just finished the church scene. Feeling overwhelmed.

ALISA'S FATHER?!!! Even when I think I know the twist with the evil professor they sneak up on my ass and pull a double twist! I freakin' love this series.

So much betrayal, so many dead people refusing to stay dead, so many overlapping schemes and allegiances...

giphy.gif

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
^
Yeah...
I sure as hell didn't expect such a lengthy exposition about ALL the lore. Nothing was left out.
Witches, Black workshop, Ouroboros (a bit), Artifacts, Holy Beasts, Divine Knights, The great power, The gralsritter...

Biggest info dump in 15 years of the series.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
I think at some point when this released someone asked for a review/perspective from someone having started with CS3 without even playing CS1+2, so I thought I would post this.