• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Limited resources and manpower. Other than no dev kits for Switch at Falcom, there are only around 62 people working there.

Well considering all the indies that have Switch dev kits, I am sure Nintendo would work something out if Falcom asked. But if they don't have the staff for it and not enough incentive to hire more, then yes, that makes sense.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
My thought is that being tiny and small Company is just an excuse when you are ready to jump on ps5 if fans demand it.
I do not think japanese fans are that happy to buy a more expensive next gen hw (for grapichs engine a gen behind like falcom titles...).

Back on topic i at field day on chapter 3. Finally. Interesting seeing
the setting of the prologue

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
It's so weird, coming home from work and not spending an hour or two playing this game. Well Pokémon it is. And after that I wanna try Ys VIII, though I might start that earlier and play it alongside Pokemon (maybe... I got friends, who all got Shield, telling me to step it up cause they need my version exclusives lol)

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how long they'll leave it before they reveal the Grandmaster (assuming they haven't already in CS 3 or 4)
What do you mean? We've known the grandmaster's identity since FC
It's [spiolers]
latest
DorothySmile.jpg
[spuilers]

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just excuses since they will buy shiny new ps5 dev kit asap even if they are small, have few resources and so on lol
ah i see you're on you nonsense again, despite being told several times now why Falcom has such a strong relationship with Sony. Maybe go bug Nintendo localise for their important market of China and South Korea? Teehee

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
ah i see you're on you nonsense again, despite being told several times now why Falcom has such a strong relationship with Sony. Maybe go bug Nintendo localise for their important market of China and South Korea? Teehee
you read what i wrote but you failed to understand the meaning. The problem with falcom Is that when asked they bring excuses instead of telling the plain truth.
They should just say what you wrote: we have a strong relationship with Sony and we look forward it. And that Is ok.
But no. Kondo has to give kind words on switch and than tell reasons (lol) for not supporting.
He could use gentle words to reiterate the strong relationship with Sony, not false praise words on other consoles.

Back on more important things aside the next (similar to 3rd) kiseki on 2020 did falcom say anything about the timing for next arc? Because if they follow their pattern Is 2020 kiseki, than ys and than (2022?) new arc.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dark Dragon's Nest ensured Resident Evil 2 will be my GOTY, I'll just say that.

you read what i wrote but you failed to understand the meaning. The problem with falcom Is that when asked they bring excuses instead of telling the plain truth.
They should just say what you wrote: we have a strong relationship with Sony and we look forward it. And that Is ok.
But no. Kondo has to give kind words on switch and than tell reasons (lol) for not supporting.
He could use gentle words to reiterate the strong relationship with Sony, not false praise words on other consoles.

Back on more important things aside the next (similar to 3rd) kiseki on 2020 did falcom say anything about the timing for next arc? Because if they follow their pattern Is 2020 kiseki, than ys and than (2022?) new arc.
Oh wow, the conspiracy theories. The QAnon jumped out!

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game. I was expecting the last chapter to be a bit longer, the ending got me by surprise. And the infamous cliffhanger wasn't that bad, I found FC's to be much worse.

Best Sen game by far, and it probably has the best pacing in the series. But I would rank it below SC, Zero, Ao or The 3rd. Can't wait to be done with the Erebonia saga and move on to other regions and characters. Rean and Class VII overstayed its welcome long ago.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game. I was expecting the last chapter to be a bit longer, the ending got me by surprise. And the infamous cliffhanger wasn't that bad, I found FC's to be much worse.

I always feel like I played a different FC to everyone else, it's not even that much of a cliffhanger

People complain about CS2 having too many characters but if anything 3rd is even worse, I'm trying to use everyone and I can't keep up with the quartz. I just got
Richard

Wasn't expecting him to join, if there's anyone else I really can't think who it would be

Edit - oops, yet again I've posted in this thread thinking it was the general LoH thread lol

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to mention one of the funniest/most depressing lines in the game.
Sharon: "Oh dear, you're right. I'm turning 25 this year. Death is swiftly approaching."

Actually that whole side quest is really interesting in hindsight. It was like one nice big side character reunion before most of them either turn traitor or get murdered.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to mention one of the funniest/most depressing lines in the game.
Sharon: "Oh dear, you're right. I'm turning 25 this year. Death is swiftly approaching."

Actually that whole side quest is really interesting in hindsight. It was like one nice big side character reunion before most of them either turn traitor or get murdered.
Yeah, I think it's a great bridge.
It's really rewarding if you've played every game before that one, seeing all this unlikely team up, getting to see more of Lechter, and hearing from the others.
And it's also the last time they're all together like that. I'd be honestly disappointed if there's no payoff for that Calvardian kid subplot when we reach Calvard. Well, him or the diplomat who got a drawing from his kid back home.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's really rewarding if you've played every game before that one, seeing all this unlikely team up, getting to see more of Lechter, and hearing from the others.
And it's also the last time they're all together like that. I'd be honestly disappointed if there's no payoff for that Calvardian kid subplot when we reach Calvard. Well, him or the diplomat who got a drawing from his kid back home.

As thorough as they tend to be it wouldn't surprise me.

I can't remember if they gave the Calvardian kid a name but I could see him coming up again somehow. Definitely the diplomat's family though since I'm pretty sure he mentioned them by name even though I can't remember them lol. I love when they plant little seeds like that.

And yeah I had been wanting playable Lechter for quite a while. Shame it didn't last very long.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
I always feel like I played a different FC to everyone else, it's not even that much of a cliffhanger
Did you play FC at launch? I think people's opinion on FC are influenced a lot by which game was his first one.
I played FC thinking it was standalone. I had no idea there were other games, so the twist was brutal. And then came the long wait. 4 years waiting for news, plus the drama involving the delay.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
And the drama of all new release in Japan meanwhile also..
We are luckly with cs3 and maybe cs4.
Geofront also Is finishing, being a kiseki fans nowdays Is a lot different.
There will be always the problem of 2 years gap from a japanese release and main future problem will be releasing on next gen but we Will see

Oct 25, 2017
And the drama of all new release in Japan meanwhile also..
We are luckly with cs3 and maybe cs4.
Geofront also Is finishing, being a kiseki fans nowdays Is a lot different.
There will be always the problem of 2 years gap from a japanese release and main future problem will be releasing on next gen but we Will see

Drama in Japan? Drama about what?

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
I can at last say: It gets good after 50 hours. 😂😂😂

Psh. I was pretty much hooked from the beginning...

Argh. I'm still aching for news on CS4.

I haven't gotten into another game with any real involvement since. There's been some new JRPG releases (Saga, Star Ocean R) But I haven't felt motivated to dive in. Lol

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I as I recently started Cold Steel 1....I decided to watch recap videos of Sky the 3rd and the Crossbell arcs just so I knew what was going on....

But holy hell the Crossbell arc summary videos are like 9 hours long total. So fuck that, I don't have time to watch 9 hours of Youtube videos, not cool! I guess Sky will have to be enough backstory for me!

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
So I as I recently started Cold Steel 1....I decided to watch recap videos of Sky the 3rd and the Crossbell arcs just so I knew what was going on....

But holy hell the Crossbell arc summary videos are like 9 hours long total. So fuck that, I don't have time to watch 9 hours of Youtube videos, not cool! I guess Sky will have to be enough backstory for me!

Haha well... A lot happens in these games. I recommend watching them while getting ready for work, cleaning k etc... Well not actually watching then, more like listening, that's what I did. Otherwise I wouldn't have time for it either, I just multi-tasked my way through them.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha well... A lot happens in these games. I recommend watching them while getting ready for work, cleaning k etc... Well not actually watching then, more like listening, that's what I did. Otherwise I wouldn't have time for it either, I just multi-tasked my way through them.

There is literally zero chance of me watching 9 hours of story recap lol. Getting through the 2 hours of Sky the 3rd videos took me like a week and I was bored to tears lol.

Honestly after playing and watching the Sky videos I think people GREATLY over hype the importance of knowing what happened to understand Cold Steel.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
There is literally zero chance of me watching 9 hours of story recap lol. Getting through the 2 hours of Sky the 3rd videos took me like a week and I was bored to tears lol.

Honestly after playing and watching the Sky videos I think people GREATLY over hype the importance of knowing what happened to understand Cold Steel.
There are only a few people here constantly saying that you need to play like 7 games before this one. It's like they don't want to share their 'precious'.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017

Well it was just a suggestion lol. I spend so much time commuting, getting ready, cleaning etc that it didn't even take me any minute of my free time and I was done withing a week.

At the same time I am also an advocate for starting this series wherever you want and however you want, because it can be enjoyable either way. I've seen people start with Cold Steel 3 and enjoy it, so...

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
There are only a few people here constantly saying that you need to play like 7 games before this one. It's like they don't want to share their 'precious'.
Or they've played them and realize how important they are to the overall plot. You can play the Cold Steel games alone, they were supposed supposed to be a entry-point, but you'll miss a lot of context and references.
Cold Steel III in particular is non-stop referencing characters and events from previous games and Hamel literally plays a central role.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Or they've played them and realize how important they are to the overall plot. You can play the Cold Steel games alone, they were supposed supposed to be a entry-point, but you'll miss a lot of context and references.
Cold Steel III in particular is non-stop referencing characters and events from previous games and Hamel literally plays a central role.

But you just said it yourself. You can start with Cold Steel. You don't NEED to play the other arcs. Nobody is saying that playing the other arcs wouldn't make Cold Steel more enjoyable, it certainly does, but you don't NEED to play them to enjoy Cold Steel.

I don't think anyone would argue not playing the other arcs is BETTER than playing them or that playing them adss NOTHING to the enjoyment of the later games... It's just that you don't necessarily NEED to.

And with that knowledge in mind I personally think everyone should make their own decisions on where they want to start. I think people have heard the message about how they might lose some context for references and of some characters if they don't play all the games loud and clear by now, it's been said a quadrillion times all over the internet, anyone who Googles this series just once won't be able to miss that message, I think it's high time we let people make their own decisions. They know the risks.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well it was just a suggestion lol. I spend so much time commuting, getting ready, cleaning etc that it didn't even take me any minute of my free time and I was done withing a week.

At the same time I am also an advocate for starting this series wherever you want and however you want, because it can be enjoyable either way. I've seen people start with Cold Steel 3 and enjoy it, so...

No I get that, I unfortunately don't have as much "waiting" time as I used to as I don't have a long commute anymore etc. If I did...hell yes.

And as to the last, one of the reasons I didn't start the Cold Steel games before this was because so many of the fans make it seem like if you don't know the entire Sky and Zero/Azure story lines you have no chance of understanding the over all story. A quick google search will show you what I mean if you aren't familiar. I felt like if I started with Cold Steel I'd be missing out on so much! In reality it seems like most of the things I'd "miss" are fan service moments and a few deeper lore reasoning's for characters, but most of these are pretty self explained by Cold Steel's excellent story telling.'

I guess if you are reading this and, like me, hesitating to start playing Cold Steel because you haven't spent 150 hours playing the Sky trilogy and 10 hours watching the recaps for Crossbell....

Stop hesitating. Cold Steel is a great series and I am enjoying the game immensely as it's own thing so far. Maybe I'll sing a different story when i get to 3 and 4, but I somehow don't think I will.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Imho people make things bigger than they are.
I played Sky Trilogy than cs1+2 than zero+ao and imho falcom put some hints (which are not developed at all when they are introduced) and in the following games they actually develop them.
Their writing Is consistent and luckly they are not doing things like in Lost lol but the deepness comes from them working on later games not from a work already deep and spreaded in many entries.
Imho

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
No I get that, I unfortunately don't have as much "waiting" time as I used to as I don't have a long commute anymore etc. If I did...hell yes.

And as to the last, one of the reasons I didn't start the Cold Steel games before this was because so many of the fans make it seem like if you don't know the entire Sky and Zero/Azure story lines you have no chance of understanding the over all story. A quick google search will show you what I mean if you aren't familiar. I felt like if I started with Cold Steel I'd be missing out on so much! In reality it seems like most of the things I'd "miss" are fan service moments and a few deeper lore reasoning's for characters, but most of these are pretty self explained by Cold Steel's excellent story telling.'

I guess if you are reading this and, like me, hesitating to start playing Cold Steel because you haven't spent 150 hours playing the Sky trilogy and 10 hours watching the recaps for Crossbell....

Stop hesitating. Cold Steel is a great series and I am enjoying the game immensely as it's own thing so far. Maybe I'll sing a different story when i get to 3 and 4, but I somehow don't think I will.

Oh trust me I know. The only reason I said "fuck it" and went for it anyways was a sale on the PSN store on CS1 and 2 alongside me just really wanting to play a JRPG that I hadn't before. Otherwise I would still be sitting here contemplating.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I finished it and holy jeez that last 5 hours or so are insane. Its like all the cocaine the writers didn't take when writing the first 90% of the game was consumed in one night.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Beat this awhile back, and this fixes a ton of the problems CS1&2 had. Everyone from old Class VII is like, in their full glorious form after an ugly duckling phase and everything was so dense and tense.

Two problems:

1. out of control creepy stuff. I got to wincing when Tita and Agate were on screen together, and Angie was back to CS1 sex fiend level. I mean, was the point of the game to make Tita uncomfortable as possible? Or to increase Erica's bodycount? Seriously. SERIOUSLY. It even drowned out Musse and Oliviert's Approved Pervert Put-On Acts.

2. WHOA FRAMERATE. Funny this'll be better on a lower-power console in a bit, heh.

Lechter gives me the vibes there that he felt the lone agent would be a kernel to war with Calvard if left down there. That Futurist Intuition kicking in again.

Sky is advised to be played because they're a pleasurable quality in and of themselves.

That's typical Trails pacing in a nutshell.

This is probably the least worthy game for that (now CS2 or SC...).

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all remember how I said last week Ouroboros was a poorly handled villain? Well this week I have to say:

The Ironbloods are even worse.

Seeing both Cold Steel III and IV content, it feels like at no point in time are they confident in their actions or motives, and that they're just doing what they can to follow their leader (who is a good villain, I'll give them that). I get the backstories that led to their loyalty, but usually there's some element of agreement with a leader's principles, I'm honestly not getting that here.

And joking, but also not joking:

It also made me upset that Claire isn't playable in IV lol.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all remember how I said last week Ouroboros was a poorly handled villain? Well this week I have to say:

The Ironbloods are even worse.

Seeing both Cold Steel III and IV content, it feels like at no point in time are they confident in their actions or motives, and that they're just doing what they can to follow their leader (who is a good villain, I'll give them that). I get the backstories that led to their loyalty, but usually there's some element of agreement with a leader's principles, I'm honestly not getting that here.

And joking, but also not joking:

It also made me upset that Claire isn't playable in IV lol.
LOL. It's funny because it's true.
Honestly, I don't know anymore
if some of them are bad people on the side of the good guys or good people on the side of the bad guys. At the end of the day, it's all a wash.