• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
BTW is there a guide for 3 already in English anywhere online?

That's what I found. it's incomplete, but it's the best I've got right now. He's done other trails games faqs that i've followed, so I trust that it's a good one.

1. Can I play it without even knowing about earlier entries? (I just know the name, besides that, I dont know ANYTHING about this).

2. How long is it?

Please, please,please don't play this game without playing CS1 and 2.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Is it just me or does it seem like NISA has purposely given out review copies only to those who've already played the first two Cold Steel games? There are plenty of reviews but none by the major websites (i.e., IGN, Gamespot).

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or does it seem like NISA has purposely given out review copies only to those who've already played the first two Cold Steel games? There are plenty of reviews but none by the major websites (i.e., IGN, Gamespot).
Was CS1 and 2 reviewed by big mainstream sites like them?

OP
OP
Acquiescence

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Kinda slow going right now. Reviews are trickling in at a snail's pace, but here's a couple of new ones.

GameOver.gr - 9/10
The latest entry in the Trails Series offers an excellent continuation of the saga, which presents a great escalation of the story, accompanied by new and old well-developed characters from the series.

GamingBolt - 8/10
If you've been keeping up with the series, Trails of Cold Steel 3 is the strongest outing yet, in spite of some issues that hold it back from its full potential.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Was CS1 and 2 reviewed by big mainstream sites like them?

Nope. I believe the first Trails in the Sky is only game in the series that was reviewed by IGN (and it seems like Gamespot may not have official reviews for any Trails game).

I know there were many fears that reviewers would follow NISA's advice of starting with Cold Steel 3, but it seems like NISA hasn't even given review copies to the websites, like IGN and Gamespot, that ignored the earlier games entirely and would be in a position to start with Cold Steel 3.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
I think I checked a few days ago and I don't recall reviews from IGN or GameSpot
Nope. I believe the first Trails in the Sky is only game in the series that was reviewed by IGN (and it seems like Gamespot may not have official reviews for any Trails game).

I know there were many fears that reviewers would follow NISA's advice of starting with Cold Steel 3, but it seems like NISA hasn't even given review copies to the websites, like IGN and Gamespot, that ignored the earlier games entirely and would be in a position to start with Cold Steel 3.
Thanks!

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019

Is it possible that they have given them review copies but the sites just didn't think it would be worth it to make a review?

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible that they have given them review copies but the sites just didn't think it would be worth it to make a review?
I think that's the case. Niche game review doesn't provide many clicks and possibly makes fans angry in a non beneficial way if they put in a reviewer not familiar with at least the cold steel saga on it.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's what I found. it's incomplete, but it's the best I've got right now. He's done other trails games faqs that i've followed, so I trust that it's a good one.

Please, please,please don't play this game without playing CS1 and 2.

Are these good?

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Honestly, whilst I don't expect the big sites to cover it, I am pretty sure a lot of the people with a review copy would rather finish the game first before giving a verdict. Most if not all of the reviews out there are people who haven't finished the game yet. Some might think it wouldn't be right to release a review - even with the disclaimer that you haven't beat the game yet - before seeing the game through. Especially people who know the series and know that the shit usually goes down in the last few hours. I can see where they are coming from if that's the case.

At the very least I would expect Easy Allies to review it at some point, since they also did a preview.

atlans89

Oct 25, 2017
It's might be better this way. Those positive reviews might be easily ignored by a major site's single negative review. And it's not like they really have that much value since there was time they dared to review a game by playing demo, not finishing the game, or watching it on youtube.

OP
OP
Acquiescence

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Two new reviews to add to the pile. One of them is actually under 8, so finally we can get some goddamned drama going in here.

TheSixthAxis - 7/10
If you're a newcomer, it's a daunting and probably foolish task to try and play this game. If you're a die-hard fan of the Cold Steel series already, you'll get plenty of satisfaction out of the continued plot development and engaging combat. Even the most dedicated of fans, though, are likely to be turned off by the dated visuals and confusing Legend of Heroes crossovers that mar an otherwise impressive story-driven JRPG.

Push Square - 9/10
Trails of Cold Steel III is the best game in the series so far. You're going to have to play the first two titles to get the full picture, but you'll be rewarded with one of the most enjoyable RPG sagas in modern gaming. This latest entry strikes a near perfect balance between story and gameplay, all while juggling an ever-growing cast of great characters and an in-depth, hugely rewarding battle system. Cold Steel III is JRPG joy from start to finish, and it sits alongside the likes of Persona 5 and Dragon Quest XI as one of the PS4's finest.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
"Even the most dedicated of fans are likely to be turned off by the dated visuals"

joke's on them, Trails and indeed Falcom fans live by dated visuals.

Lockon

Oct 28, 2017
Edit: Wrong thread. Was meant for OT.

Looks like my Thors Academy edition came in early:
20191021-110143.jpg

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, if we were turned off by dated visuals, we whouldn''t've played CS2 last year. And good luck to people who dislike CS3's "dated graphics" who want to play Sky or Crossbell.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised the comments are focused on the "dated visuals," CS3 isn't exactly a looker even if it is an improvement over the first two (which isn't saying much).

The "confusing Legend of Heroes crossovers" seems like a bigger deal. Seems like in the actual review it's mostly referring to Crossbell, and laments that it's difficult to fully enjoy CS3 due to missing the context from those unlocalized games.

OP
OP
Acquiescence

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
PlayStation Country - 8/10
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III is more of the same and that's not a bad thing. People who have yet to sample the delights of the series should start at the beginning but fans of the series, and JRPG genre, are sure to be drawn back in to Rean's tale before eagerly awaiting part four.

Metro - 7/10
A few unfortunate backsteps make the first native PlayStation 4 entry something of a disappointment, but Trails Of Cold Steel is still one of the best old school JRPGs around.

GamePitt - 9.8/10
I honestly doubted that Trails of Cold Steel III could topple the incredible experience I had with the previous two games, oh how I was wrong. Taking everything which made the last two games great, Nihon Falcom has created a more advanced and enhanced version of the game we all know and love. There's little to fault when a game manages to keep me invested and hooked for over 120 hours on my first playthrough, sat on the edge of my seat with each and every revelation and event, both cheering and getting emotional along with the characters. JRPG fans have to buy this game, it's mandatory if you've played the previous two and enjoyed them as you're guaranteed to simply love this game without any doubt.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised the comments are focused on the "dated visuals," CS3 isn't exactly a looker even if it is an improvement over the first two (which isn't saying much).
It's just a funny phrasing, because surely "the most dedicated fans" have went through other games with even more dated visuals? And judging from the fact that they became dedicated fans after playing those, evidently they're not "turned off"?

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I personally started Trails in the Sky because I was blown away by the cutting-edge graphics only possible on the PSP.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017

The "confusing Legend of Heroes crossovers" seems like a bigger deal. Seems like in the actual review it's mostly referring to Crossbell, and laments that it's difficult to fully enjoy CS3 due to missing the context from those unlocalized games.
Really? Looks beautiful for me for a Falcom game.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Come on even the first cutscene on the demo shows really bad and dated animations
The grapichs are miles better than vita but they are not that great. Even the first campus shows buildings a gen behind clearly.
It Is crisp and clear but really low on polygon count textures and many things.
if these were on Switch, instabuy. on a console that's on its way out, no thanks.
i bought a ps4 for trails and bloodborne. I already have cs3 on ps4.
But sadly i have little time for It so i hope It will come on switch to catch on and play during lunch break.
If you have time and love trails you should buy because there Is also cs4 and probably the next trails next year in Japan will be for ps4.
Or wait for ps5 bc.
But if time in front of tv Is not your problem play them really

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Come on even the first cutscene on the demo shows really bad and dated animations
The grapichs are miles better than vita but they are not that great. Even the first campus shows buildings a gen behind clearly.
It Is crisp and clear but really low on polygon count textures and many things.
i bought a ps4 for trails and bloodborne. I already have cs3 on ps4.
But sadly i have little time for It so i hope It will come on switch to catch on and play during lunch break.
If you have time and love trails you should buy because there Is also cs4 and probably the next trails next year in Japan will be for ps4.
Or wait for ps5 bc.
But if time in front of tv Is not your problem play them really
aliasing =/= low poly