• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably like 2 weeks before it comes out, XSEED like to leave it until the last minute.

So that's leaving out early May with mid May being in question. I'm just hoping anytime before June 1st as I'll be out of town for about two weeks.

I'm familiar with the XSEED name but no clue on how they go about things. Here's hoping this release window works out in my favor.

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
I hope XSEED announces it soon. I have come close several times to just buying the PC version of CS2 lol

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
I will start this game soon, is the new english voice-over worth it? I really prefer japanese voice acting in games like this one, but since the new english voice-over has 50% more lines recorded compared to japanese, i'm thinking maybe I should go with english?

But at the same time, english isn't my native language so i'd end up reading anyway... hmm...

Oct 27, 2017
I will start this game soon, is the new english voice-over worth it? I really prefer japanese voice acting in games like this one, but since the new english voice-over has 50% more lines recorded compared to japanese, i'm thinking maybe I should go with english?

But at the same time, english isn't my native language so i'd end up reading anyway... hmm...

The English voice-over is awesome in these games.

Erpy

May 31, 2018

The English voice-over had the benefit of some great directing and is fantastic. It's definitely worth listening to.

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
I always switch to JP voices when given the opportunity, but I listened to a lot of the English VA and the dub is actually very well done and you can't really go wrong either way.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Currently in Chapter 4. By the time I finish with this game and move on to MK11, Cold Steel 2 will come out which will be perfect stop gap.

Still the long wait for Cold Steel 3 (hoping the localization is solid), gives me some time to go back at catch up Trails 1 and 2.

I hope there is even plans for Cold Steel 4 to be localized. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite RPGs, the world lore and interconnected regions remind a lot of a Suikoden game in which each of it's games all took place in the same world just different regions of the same world.

Sky being Liberl, Cold Steel is Erebonia, and Azure and Zero are Crossbell. Hopefully the Crossbell games are addressed in some fashion from the time after CS3 releases as well as the hopeful plan of CS4 coming out in English.

I wonder how the first two Legend of Heroes games Dragon Slayer 1 and 2 and the Gagharv Trilogy tie into the Trails series.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I spoke to everyone multiple times. Kind of annoyed.

There's one hidden sidequest each evening of your free day and one during your field study. (the sidequest in the Nord region was a doozy since it required you to make several trips between the settlement and Zender Gate) Those are fairly small ones though.

Maybe you botched your practical exam by using arts where you weren't allowed to?

What I SUSPECT happened is that you screwed up your mid-terms. If you do everything perfectly, Rean should end up at rank 7, just one place above Alisa. There's a lot more to it than simply getting all the questions right. There are also a handful of NPC's to speak to (both teachers and students) who can give you additional pointers that Rean then ends up making use of off-screen. And if that isn't enough, there are also a handful of study books spread around campus (recognizable by the shimmering similar to the shimmering of items on the ground if you break certain pots/crates in dungeons) that you need to find and which also boost your final score.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's one hidden sidequest each evening of your free day and one during your field study. (the sidequest in the Nord region was a doozy since it required you to make several trips between the settlement and Zender Gate) Those are fairly small ones though.

Maybe you botched your practical exam by using arts where you weren't allowed to?

What I SUSPECT happened is that you screwed up your mid-terms. If you do everything perfectly, Rean should end up at rank 7, just one place above Alisa. There's a lot more to it than simply getting all the questions right. There are also a handful of NPC's to speak to (both teachers and students) who can give you additional pointers that Rean then ends up making use of off-screen. And if that isn't enough, there are also a handful of study books spread around campus (recognizable by the shimmering similar to the shimmering of items on the ground if you break certain pots/crates in dungeons) that you need to find and which also boost your final score.

I got 7th place on my midterm, mostly by accident.

I'm thinking it was the hidden mission in Nord. I need to look it up.

I didn't know about all the hidden missions though. That's annoying. I thought I would unlock everything if I would just talk to everyone as I go. I have a earlier save so I'm gong to try and find that Nord hidden mission.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I BELIEVE what's kinda sneaky about the hidden mission in Chapter 3 is that you have to talk to said person twice before she asks you for help.

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
Once I got a B in a chapter and did everything the game asked me to do I dropped the completionist attitude pretty quickly lol

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once I got a B in a chapter and did everything the game asked me to do I dropped the completionist attitude pretty quickly lol

My first play through I got like 2 B's and 1 C. Maybe 3 B's and 1 C.

I came to this thread and YouTube and I learned there's a ton of content that I missed. Granted most of which are minor side stories but stuff I'm finding interesting on my second play through.

On my first play through I didn't talk to anyone and did most of the side quest. To me they were pointless busy work side quest but now on my second play through I actually see that for every future side quest I will do there's small build ups from all the NPC characters. It's really intriguing. Most of these side quest don't just pop up like in other games, there's actually a story that leads to them.

I just want to see as many of these as I can. I said this earlier in the thread but I wish I would've found this game series sooner.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gaius is probably the most boring character I've seen in a video game in a long while. Like holy shit, I dislike chapter 3 not because of the locations or the plot that takes place there but because of him and his snooze fest ass. The dude is a personality black hole.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Gaius is a bro, but the fact that he's the only member of Class VII who grew up in a perfectly normal and healthy home makes him less exciting than the quirkier folks in the class. There's some irony in the fact that it's the foreign exchange student who's the most well-adjusted member of the class.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the *interesting* stuff with Gaius is in the subtext, but really for the most part he's just a really nice guy who doesn't talk much. I think the moment I was sold on him was (End game bonding events spoilers)
When he did a painting of the time they were at the nord highlands, and I was just like "AWWW he loves both of his homes". Which you know, is made abundantly clear throughout the game, but it that moment in just seemed so genuine.
Anyway, I totally get why some people may find him boring, but a Cold Steel without him would be a lesser game.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gaius is a bro, but the fact that he's the only member of Class VII who grew up in a perfectly normal and healthy home makes him less exciting than the quirkier folks in the class. There's some irony in the fact that it's the foreign exchange student who's the most well-adjusted member of the class.
Unless i'm Forgetting something Elliot's family situation was pretty normal aside from
his dad being a bit overbearing and restricting his choice of schools. greated his mom died and his dad probably wasn't present too often due to his job

Oct 27, 2017
Unless i'm Forgetting something Elliot's family situation was pretty normal aside from
his dad being a bit overbearing and restricting his choice of schools. greated his mom died and his dad probably wasn't present too often due to his job

I loved how the game builds up Olaf Craig to be a terrifying, stern military man and the game suggests there will be great tension when Elliot sees him. Then he is introduced and while a badass, he's also a goofy, affectionate dad who adores his son.

Meicyn

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
The problem is that Rean is milquetoast on purpose as a stand-in for the player and yet, he has more character development and growth than Gaius. Gaius is an end-state, finished, fully matured character with basically no flaws and no actual conflict with any character, ever. There was a moment where maybe racism could have kicked in as a story thread to give him a real moment to shine, but that switched back to nobles vs commoners the very next second which is Jusis and Machias's thing. Gaius has no room to grow and as such, he's the most boring PC in the game by a long shot, possibly the most boring character in the game as a whole.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I still think Rean is underrated because he has some top tier speeches. He's quite the orator when he gets fired up.

Gaius slips into the background as soon as you're done with Nord. It's a shame because I love the character.

D3om08LW0AAuoTn.jpg
D3om1P4WsAAHmRg.jpg
D3om1k9XkAEcrLp.jpg

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that Rean is milquetoast on purpose as a stand-in for the player and yet, he has more character development and growth than Gaius. Gaius is an end-state, finished, fully matured character with basically no flaws and no actual conflict with any character, ever. There was a moment where maybe racism could have kicked in as a story thread to give him a real moment to shine, but that switched back to nobles vs commoners the very next second which is Jusis and Machias's thing. Gaius has no room to grow and as such, he's the most boring PC in the game by a long shot, possibly the most boring character in the game as a whole.
From what i've Heard there seem like there might be some big developments for Gaius in CSIII, but not being able to speak Japanese this is purely based on one piece of second hand info

Apr 9, 2018
My first play through I got like 2 B's and 1 C. Maybe 3 B's and 1 C.

I came to this thread and YouTube and I learned there's a ton of content that I missed. Granted most of which are minor side stories but stuff I'm finding interesting on my second play through.

On my first play through I didn't talk to anyone and did most of the side quest. To me they were pointless busy work side quest but now on my second play through I actually see that for every future side quest I will do there's small build ups from all the NPC characters. It's really intriguing. Most of these side quest don't just pop up like in other games, there's actually a story that leads to them.

I just want to see as many of these as I can. I said this earlier in the thread but I wish I would've found this game series sooner.
Yeah these games, more than just about any other, reward you for checking in on all the NPCs every time the story progresses. Any NPC having a name pretty much indicates that they will have their own little story that plays out in the background, usually with a side quest for Rean at some point.

There's a nice little payoff in the second game for knowing who all the minor character students are as well.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Now at chapter 5 in Trails in the Sky SC. The game turned into Xenogears for a moment at the end if ch. 4.

How does the status inflicting quartz work in Sky SC? Do they trigger with arts? For example, I have Kloe set up so that she has access to Diamond Dust which has a 20% chance of freezing the enemy. If she also has the Freeze quartz, does that boost the chances of DD freezing the enemy to 30%?

I know in Cold Steel, status inflicting quartz only trigger with crafts and normal attacks.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Now at chapter 5 in Trails in the Sky SC. The game turned into Xenogears for a moment at the end if ch. 4.

How does the status inflicting quartz work in Sky SC? Do they trigger with arts? For example, I have Kloe set up so that she has access to Diamond Dust which has a 20% chance of freezing the enemy. If she also has the Freeze quartz, does that boost the chances of DD freezing the enemy to 30%?

I know in Cold Steel, status inflicting quartz only trigger with crafts and normal attacks.

No, the status ailments from quartz and the ailments from arts are two separate things. The ailments from quartz only land when you hit an enemy with a physical attack.

That said, enemies don't have partial resistences in the Sky games. If an attack has 100% chance of landing, say, confuse or blind, the enemy will either always resist it or will always be affected by it.