• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6 month mark. I just beat the 7th floor of the old school. There's a mech now. I was supposed to go back and talk to George but I'm taking a break.

Roughly how far am I? I personally hope I'm just at the halfway point because I don't want it to end.

You're pretty much at the very end, lol.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Either way, the end of CS 1 is only the beginning of the story really so there'll be plenty more

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Either way, the end of CS 1 is only the beginning of the story really so there'll be plenty more
What chapter are you in, the part above sounds like you're in the last chapter and the rail guns happens before that :/
It's the section from the very start of the game that you revisit later

Oh, yeah I did that! Lol... I didn't make the connection. I was thinking it was something else

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
You're not a true trails fan unless you've played the first sky game, and then waited 4.5 years for the continuation of the ending. Something similar but less extreme holds true for the wait between CS1 and 2. Thanks Falcom, love you, xoxo
I live for every single ending like this, it's the best/worst thing. Fortunately I only played the first Sky game when it came to pc, so I didn't wait as long.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got done watching the credits roll... I have fallen in love with this game and by extension this series.

The one thing that annoyed me through out my entire play through of the game turned out to be the one thing I adored most once I saw the end of the game and it clicked with me.

I posted earlier this page and last page wondering if I was at the end of the game mainly because I was afraid that the ending would have been or maybe felt like it would've been rushed.

Man do I feel like an idiot for having that concern. Throughout my entire play through my biggest concern was the pacing, wondering if things are progressing too slowly. I wondered if there would be enough time for the main story, the Confidant Links/Bonding(?), and if things will get fleshed out properly and not feel rushed. Everything came together really well.

I am a big Shin Megami Tensei/Persona Classic & Persona modern fan. So if you give me a high school setting with Social Link type gameplay I eat that shit up. I just wished it was fleshed out. Give the player some more free days to control.

If the sequels are as good as this game is this entire series jumped up there with the Shin Megami Tensei series and sub series including Persona along with the Pokémon series as my favorite games to play and look forward to.

As I understand there's more to the series then just Trails of Cold Steel. I don't know of these other series yet but I hope they see a release on modern consoles so that I can play them and support the entire series as a whole.

I tip my hat to all the devs that made this amazing game/series.

I still need to process everything and that ending was exceptional. Bravo Falcom.

Edit: How are the nobles ranked from lowest to highest? Is that info given in game?

I kept wondering that this whole game.

What carries over in NG+?

Last edited:

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
*LOTS OF LOVE FOR COLD STEEL HERE*

Edit: How are the nobles ranked from lowest to highest? Is that info given in game?

One of us, one of us!
Uhhh, I'm not sure of the specifics regarding the nobles. My limited understanding is that the ranking goes, from lowest to highest:
Regular nobles
Those associated with the four houses
And then some government officials, probably, although there's a lot of overlap between this and the four houses.

As for new game plus though, basically everything is *available* to carry over, but for your first new game plus, you'll only be able to choose some things. You get five points, and you can choose between weapons, items, levels, your journal stuff, or even outright new things like unlimited bonding points, and bonus costumes.
if you were to beat new game plus, you'd get 10 points, and if you beat *that* new game plus, you'd get enough points to get everything.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
if you decide to go with new game plus open up a 100% guide - this game has quite a lot of missable content

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I just got done watching the credits roll... I have fallen in love with this game and by extension this series.

The one thing that annoyed me through out my entire play through of the game turned out to be the one thing I adored most once I saw the end of the game and it clicked with me.

I posted earlier this page and last page wondering if I was at the end of the game mainly because I was afraid that the ending would have been or maybe felt like it would've been rushed.

Man do I feel like an idiot for having that concern. Throughout my entire play through my biggest concern was the pacing, wondering if things are progressing too slowly. I wondered if there would be enough time for the main story, the Confidant Links/Bonding(?), and if things will get fleshed out properly and not feel rushed. Everything came together really well.

I am a big Shin Megami Tensei/Persona Classic & Persona modern fan. So if you give me a high school setting with Social Link type gameplay I eat that shit up. I just wished it was fleshed out. Give the player some more free days to control.

If the sequels are as good as this game is this entire series jumped up there with the Shin Megami Tensei series and sub series including Persona along with the Pokémon series as my favorite games to play and look forward to.

As I understand there's more to the series then just Trails of Cold Steel. I don't know of these other series yet but I hope they see a release on modern consoles so that I can play them and support the entire series as a whole.

I still need to process everything and that ending was exceptional. Bravo Falcom.

I assume you don't have any PC whatsoever? The Trails in the Sky games were released for low-end PC's 15 years ago, so any laptop/budget PC that can run Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 can run a Sky game.

As for the noble order, it's baron (Rean's dad, Margarita's dad, Bridget's dad, Kenneth's dad), viscount (Laura's dad), count (Ferris and Vincent's dad), marquis (Angelica's dad, Patrick's dad), duke (Jusis' dad, Duke Cayenne), emperor. Lower nobles are expected to defer to higher nobles just like commoners are expected to defer to nobles.

ITBEATS

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished the prologue and it's already a game I can see getting super invested in.

Not a fan of the uniforms though. Hopefully there's opportunity to change how each of the party looks as I progress.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of us, one of us!
Uhhh, I'm not sure of the specifics regarding the nobles. My limited understanding is that the ranking goes, from lowest to highest:
Regular nobles
Those associated with the four houses
And then some government officials, probably, although there's a lot of overlap between this and the four houses.

As for new game plus though, basically everything is *available* to carry over, but for your first new game plus, you'll only be able to choose some things. You get five points, and you can choose between weapons, items, levels, your journal stuff, or even outright new things like unlimited bonding points, and bonus costumes.
if you were to beat new game plus, you'd get 10 points, and if you beat *that* new game plus, you'd get enough points to get everything.

Unlimited Bonding Points? 🤔 That alone adds a ton of content I missed. I'm debating how soon I should start my second play through with Trails of Cold Steel 2 maybe coming out sometime next month.

if you decide to go with new game plus open up a 100% guide - this game has quite a lot of missable content

Yeah I noticed that. I didn't even talk to every NPC in the game. I'm curious to see how deep this game is.

I assume you don't have any PC whatsoever? The Trails in the Sky games were released for low-end PC's 15 years ago, so any laptop/budget PC that can run Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 can run a Sky game.

As for the noble order, it's baron (Rean's dad, Margarita's dad, Bridget's dad, Kenneth's dad), viscount (Laura's dad), count (Ferris and Vincent's dad), marquis (Angelica's dad, Patrick's dad), duke (Jusis' dad, Duke Cayenne), emperor. Lower nobles are expected to defer to higher nobles just like commoners are expected to defer to nobles.

Thanks for the brief explanation. It bothers me that Class VII saved Erebonia ass from war multiple times, terrorist attacks multiple times, and saved
Princess Alfin from being kidnap.
. And none of them or their families
got rewarded by being granted a higher ranking Noble title or the the comments in the group being granted a title of a Noble.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the prologue and it's already a game I can see getting super invested in.

Not a fan of the uniforms though. Hopefully there's opportunity to change how each of the party looks as I progress.
I think the ps4 version has all the dlc? So if you look in your inventory, under the dlc tab, there should be alternative costumes you can collect from there, which you can then equip in the equipment menu.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Just finished the game. Umm...I hope its actually May 7th for Cold Steel 2 lol

If you want more Falcom while you wait for Cold Steel 2, there's the Sky trilogy on Steam, and Tokyo Xanadu eX+ and Ys VIII on PS4/Steam.

TX is similar to Cold Steel 1 with its school setting and progression but the battle system is closer to Ys than Trails.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is one complaint I have and it's the random voice acting.

The voice acting itself is good even great I just wish they would've voiced some more lines. There's some conversations in game that goes from the player reading the lines (which I don't mind) to the lines being voiced for some reason and then back to the player reading the lines again.

It's odd when that happens and it happens often.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

If you have any sort of PC whatsoever, the sky trilogy should be an option since the whole thing is on Steam and can pretty much run on a toaster lol

The crossbell games, Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki, have never been officially brought over, but there exists a kind of mediocre fan translation of Zero with a vastly superior one on its way that is almost done, and a fairly decent fan translation for Ao. With Xseed no longer being the ones given the series starting with Cold Steel III, I think it's fairly unlikely we'll ever get official versions in the west, doubly so on any platform besides PC

I don't think it's likely we'll see any of these older games on more modern consoles tbh, especially outside Japan. But as long as you have a PC that isn't a complete piece of shit it should be possible to experience all of them.

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
There is one complaint I have and it's the random voice acting.

The voice acting itself is good even great I just wish they would've voiced some more lines. There's some conversations in game that goes from the player reading the lines (which I don't mind) to the lines being voiced for some reason and then back to the player reading the lines again.

It's odd when that happens and it happens often.
Did you play using Japanese or English voices? Because both the PS4 and PC versions of the game should have 50% more voiced lines in English compared to the Vita and PS3 ones.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017

In my opinion, Cold Steel 1 and Sky 1 are the weakest games in the entire series. Sky 1 sets the base for everything that happens in Sky 2 and I give some slack to the title because it was the first in the current series.

Cold Steel 1 has more impact if you played the Crossbell games, but by itself it feels lacking in a lot of ways that were much stronger in previous titles.
Still, those are great games and you have a lot to look forward to.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Poor Nosferatu, my Laura might be too strong she's almost at 1100 strength and we beat him unscathed, lol.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Just started. Boy, Machias seems like a real asshole.

The prologue is a bit of a rough start for some characters and Machias, who's like that cousin who keeps bringing up politics at the dinner table, gets the worst of it. He chills out a lot later (but not so much that others stop making fun of him) and his misogyny in the prologue was purely put in there by the writers in order to act as a setup for an explanation by Rean on swordsmanship schools later on in the dungeon and then, having served its purpose, permanently disappears from the games afterwards.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked Machias by the end of CS 2, him and Jusis both being assholes at the start is kind of the whole point of their characters

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 1 done ! Got S rank ! That game without a guide must me awful, there so much missable thing....

Oct 28, 2017
The prologue is a bit of a rough start for some characters and Machias, who's like that cousin who keeps bringing up politics at the dinner table, gets the worst of it. He chills out a lot later (but not so much that others stop making fun of him) and his misogyny in the prologue was purely put in there by the writers in order to act as a setup for an explanation by Rean on swordsmanship schools later on in the dungeon and then, having served its purpose, permanently disappears from the games afterwards.
Glad to hear it. His "but girls though" stuff was weird.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Glad to hear it. His "but girls though" stuff was weird.

Yeah, what's even weirder is that the writers put it in without the intention of doing anything with it aside from giving Laura an excuse to pull a comically huge anime sword out of hyperspace in reply to one of his remarks and then moments later have Gaius and Rean have their "Girls? Did you see the huge anime sword? Yeah, she follows the Arseid style. It and the Vander style are the two most well-known disciplines."-conversation. After that, his "but girls"-attitude disappears entirely. It doesn't even resurface when you meet his
glorious, magnificent and fantastic female childhood friend
later on in the game. (where it would be SOMEWHAT justified)

Erpy

May 31, 2018
it gets even worse when you can collect highly missable books that contain highly vital pieces of lore for Erebonia in the second game only after starting a NG+

And it gets worse still that the third game assumes you've seen the plot-important NG+ cutscene that's only triggered if you collect all of those NG+ only highly missable books and handed them in to the right person, then spoke to said person before finishing the game. Falcom fuckery at its best.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have any sort of PC whatsoever, the sky trilogy should be an option since the whole thing is on Steam and can pretty much run on a toaster lol

The crossbell games, Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki, have never been officially brought over, but there exists a kind of mediocre fan translation of Zero with a vastly superior one on its way that is almost done, and a fairly decent fan translation for Ao. With Xseed no longer being the ones given the series starting with Cold Steel III, I think it's fairly unlikely we'll ever get official versions in the west, doubly so on any platform besides PC

I don't think it's likely we'll see any of these older games on more modern consoles tbh, especially outside Japan. But as long as you have a PC that isn't a complete piece of shit it should be possible to experience all of them.

Yeah I don't have a PC in my household. Told my wife I wouldn't get one either since I have so many gaming consoles and I wouldn't break my word to her.

Why do you say there's no chance of bringing those other titles over? Is it a rights issue or because there's no profit in bringing them?

Genuinely curious

Did you play using Japanese or English voices? Because both the PS4 and PC versions of the game should have 50% more voiced lines in English compared to the Vita and PS3 ones.

I played with the English voice overs which were great but was still noticeable. I know it's a time of lines to voice and the budget must not have been able to to cover. It's still just one of the negatives I have with it though still not s major issue.

In my opinion, Cold Steel 1 and Sky 1 are the weakest games in the entire series. Sky 1 sets the base for everything that happens in Sky 2 and I give some slack to the title because it was the first in the current series.

Cold Steel 1 has more impact if you played the Crossbell games, but by itself it feels lacking in a lot of ways that were much stronger in previous titles.
Still, those are great games and you have a lot to look forward to.

Holy hell. If you feel Cold Steel 1 was the weakest entry while it blew my mind I'm in for a treat next month when Cold Steel 2 releases.

I want to play every game in this series but from what I gather in this thread that maybe impossible for me. So I'll just take what's given to me on modern consoles like the peasant I am.

Fake Edit: I'm really considering a second play through to see all the bonding events, get all A scores for the chapters, and see what other tidbits I find on my own. If I decide to play it s third time through I'll go for the 100% route.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't have a PC in my household. Told my wife I wouldn't get one either since I have so many gaming consoles and I wouldn't break my word to her.

Why do you say there's no chance of bringing those other titles over? Is it a rights issue or because there's no profit in bringing them?

Genuinely curious

I played with the English voice overs which were great but was still noticeable. I know it's a time of lines to voice and the budget must not have been able to to cover. It's still just one of the negatives I have with it though still not s major issue.

Holy hell. If you feel Cold Steel 1 was the weakest entry while it blew my mind I'm in for a treat next month when Cold Steel 2 releases.

I want to play every game in this series but from what I gather in this thread that maybe impossible for me. So I'll just take what's given to me on modern consoles like the peasant I am.
A bit of both.They're old game that wouldn't look particularly impressive on modern consoles, Falcom has no intention of remaking them themselves (and the remakes that do exist like the Vita evo games are handled by third parties which makes licensing an issue). Trails heavy continuity also means that sales tend to fall a lot between successive games, and the only reason XSeed ever even considered bringing over the Crossbell games was to help ensure the future of the franchise in the west, which is irrelevant to them now since NISA now has the license.

Also not having a PC seems weird to me since they're useful for a lot of things besides gaming

Oct 28, 2017

Genuinely curious

Fake Edit: I'm really considering a second play through to see all the bonding events, get all A scores for the chapters, and see what other tidbits I find on my own. If I decide to play it s third time through I'll go for the 100% route.
Not even a laptop? These games can run on a toaster.

If you're going for a 100% playthrough there's some good guides out there for it, this is the one I used:
https://psnprofiles.com/guide/3724-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-overall-walkthrough

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a tablet or a Vita ? I know some people used homebrew to play the Vita versions while using the PC translations.

I think I heard once of people playing the PC versions of Sky on tablets since they aren't heavy games.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
it gets worse in second game because of hidden battle conditions and quests you'll NEVER find on your own.
it gets even worse when you can collect highly missable books that contain highly vital pieces of lore for Erebonia in the second game only after starting a NG+

And it gets worse still that the third game assumes you've seen the plot-important NG+ cutscene that's only triggered if you collect all of those NG+ only highly missable books and handed them in to the right person, then spoke to said person before finishing the game. Falcom fuckery at its best.

Y'all making a great case for me never touching this series. I'm too OCD...

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Well, the thing is that OCD-ers also get their jollies from this series like no other because of the continuity Falcom put into the series as a whole including mini-plotlines from minor NPC's in one game being continued in another and sometimes even in another arc.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bit of both.They're old game that wouldn't look particularly impressive on modern consoles, Falcom has no intention of remaking them themselves (and the remakes that do exist like the Vita evo games are handled by third parties which makes licensing an issue). Trails heavy continuity also means that sales tend to fall a lot between successive games, and the only reason XSeed ever even considered bringing over the Crossbell games was to help ensure the future of the franchise in the west, which is irrelevant to them now since NISA now has the license.

Also not having a PC seems weird to me since they're useful for a lot of things besides gaming

We have iPhones and IPads along with a random Samsung tablet. We may not have a PC but my home is very tech heavy.

My wife drew a line at some point and simply asked no more unless it's to replace something that went bad. It's more of a promise thing I made with my wife. Can't go breaking my word to her and we really never have a use for a PC except if I was going to game in it.

Not even a laptop? These games can run on a toaster.

If you're going for a 100% playthrough there's some good guides out there for it, this is the one I used:
https://psnprofiles.com/guide/3724-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-overall-walkthrough

Thanks for the link! I'm going to give it a view in a little bit. My home doesn't have a use for a laptop because of all the tablets and smart phones we have.

Do you have a tablet or a Vita ? I know some people used homebrew to play the Vita versions while using the PC translations.

I think I heard once of people playing the PC versions of Sky on tablets since they aren't heavy games.

I do have tablets. I'll look into that.

Oct 27, 2017
Just starting the 6th chapter.

this is one of the best JRPG's I've ever played. From world building, to story, to character development, to the battle system, to the sheer amount of content, to the music, to the voice acting, it's just utterly brilliant.

Can't believe most people consider TOCS2 to be ever better. I'm so excited to start that game!

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just starting the 6th chapter.

this is one of the best JRPG's I've ever played. From world building, to story, to character development, to the battle system, to the sheer amount of content, to the music, to the voice acting, it's just utterly brilliant.

Can't believe most people consider TOCS2 to be ever better. I'm so excited to start that game!

I know right! I expressed that very same sentiment myself and I got told on here and in real life that Cold Steel 1 is the weakest of the games.

Like how the hell can it get better!?!? I don't know but I'm sure as hell willing to find out!

There's one plot point that I'm confused on but I'm not sure it's because of my personal lack of understanding or it's meant to be covered in the sequels so I'm afraid to ask.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Man can't wait for you guys to play CS2. I really hope it comes out quickly.
Sonofa... reading this thread makes me want to replay 1 and 2 like right now lol

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Cold Steel is my second least favourite Trails game in English, I still love it to bits - the difference between the worst and best Trails game isn't *that* large imo. It's entirely possible for CS to be someone's favourite.

There's one plot point that I'm confused on but I'm not sure it's because of my personal lack of understanding or it's meant to be covered in the sequels so I'm afraid to ask.

As a general rule, I'd say that if a plot question involves another country (specifically either Liberl or Crossbell), then it probably is answered in another game. There's two other plot points besides those locations that's worth mentioning?
The Enforcers (Like Sharon at the end there) are better introduced in other games, although the general gist is explained by Sara in a minor conversation in chapter...5?
And then also there's the section of the game that's glossed over by the narrative. If you want to know what happened there, there's a translation of a drama cd on Xseed's website. (ONLY READ WHEN YOU'VE FINISHED THE GAME)
http://www.trailsofcoldsteel.com/cs2/memoirs1.html

Oct 27, 2017
I know right! I expressed that very same sentiment myself and I got told on here and in real life that Cold Steel 1 is the weakest of the games.

Like how the hell can it get better!?!? I don't know but I'm sure as hell willing to find out!

It's tremendously exciting that I have a sequel to play, with two further sequels after that. I'm gonna be stick in this world for some time, lol!

How was the pc port of Trails in the Sky? I actually played it for a bit on the PSP back in the day when a friend borrowed it to me. I liked it lots, but it looks kinda rough these days, especially after playing the excellent PS4 port of TOCS in 4k60. Does the PC version manage a comparable experience?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's tremendously exciting that I have a sequel to play, with two further sequels after that. I'm gonna be stick in this world for some time, lol!

How was the pc port of Trails in the Sky? I actually played it for a bit on the PSP back in the day when a friend borrowed it to me. I liked it lots, but it looks kinda rough these days, especially after playing the excellent PS4 port of TOCS in 4k60. Does the PC version manage a comparable experience?
The pc version is the best way to play Trails in the Sky right now by far

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017

PC version of Sky has a better translation and tools such as speed-up the entire game, which makes it the best version available.