• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cold Steel is my second least favourite Trails game in English, I still love it to bits - the difference between the worst and best Trails game isn't *that* large imo. It's entirely possible for CS to be someone's favourite.

As a general rule, I'd say that if a plot question involves another country (specifically either Liberl or Crossbell), then it probably is answered in another game. There's two other plot points besides those locations that's worth mentioning?
The Enforcers (Like Sharon at the end there) are better introduced in other games, although the general gist is explained by Sara in a minor conversation in chapter...5?
And then also there's the section of the game that's glossed over by the narrative. If you want to know what happened there, there's a translation of a drama cd on Xseed's website. (ONLY READ WHEN YOU'VE FINISHED THE GAME)
http://www.trailsofcoldsteel.com/cs2/memoirs1.html

DON'T READ THAT LINK UNLESS YOU BEAT TRAILS OF COLD STEEL 1 and there's a second story for the second game. I didn't read that story as I haven't played the second game yet.

Why couldn't that first story be in the first game? I was fully expecting to visit that area of Erebonia for some reason but it didn't happen. It gives Rean some good character development even though he was already a well developed character. I would've loved to play that.

Thanks for posting the link and giving me that info!

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Put in over 30 hours into this game last week, no regrets at all. Love this game. Just about to hit 50 hours, on chapter 5.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Yeah, Trails in the Sky on PC is much, much better than on the PSP. In addition to an improved localization and Turbo mode, it also has widescreen support, auto-saves, high-def menu art and high-def movie cutscenes.

DON'T READ THAT LINK UNLESS YOU BEAT TRAILS OF COLD STEEL 1 and there's a second story for the second game. I didn't read that story as I haven't played the second game yet.

Why couldn't that first story be in the first game? I was fully expecting to visit that area of Erebonia for some reason but it didn't happen. It gives Rean some good character development even though he was already a well developed character. I would've loved to play that.

Thanks for posting the link and giving me that info!

It was initially meant to be. The first game actually has a semi-completed map of Ymir in its game files. (you'll visit it properly in the sequel) Falcom was struggling with their deadlines while creating the first game and that part had to be cut, so they turned it into a drama CD instead. (though I'd argue that the inclusion of that part after Chapter 6 would have done a real kill job on the pacing)

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
PC version of Sky has a better translation and tools such as speed-up the entire game, which makes it the best version available.
The more I play cold steel the more I wanna play the Sky games and the Crossbell games once I play/finish CSII. I ain't touching CSIII until then I think, haha.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Trails in the Sky on PC is much, much better than on the PSP. In addition to an improved localization and Turbo mode, it also has widescreen support, auto-saves, high-def menu art and high-def movie cutscenes.

It was initially meant to be. The first game actually has a semi-completed map of Ymir in its game files. (you'll visit it properly in the sequel) Falcom was struggling with their deadlines while creating the first game and that part had to be cut, so they turned it into a drama CD instead. (though I'd argue that the inclusion of that part after Chapter 6 would have done a real kill job on the pacing)

I agree about the pacing part if they would've kept it as it's in the Drama CD. If they would've condensed it to just a brief Story element without the playable part and cut out the Class VII meeting in the beginning it could've been good in terms of pacing.

It's a minor complaint though.

I must've played and beat the ending 4 times yesterday. I enjoyed the last couple of fights. I need more battles like that moving forward.

Oct 28, 2017
I agree about the pacing part if they would've kept it as it's in the Drama CD. If they would've condensed it to just a brief Story element without the playable part and cut out the Class VII meeting in the beginning it could've been good in terms of pacing.

It's a minor complaint though.

I must've played and beat the ending 4 times yesterday. I enjoyed the last couple of fights. I need more battles like that moving forward.
Are you talking about the
mech fights
? The second game has plenty of them.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
BTW, the part of Ymir that got Drama-CD'ed? Cold Steel II actually assumes you've read it. The game, especially fairly early on, repeatedly refers to events that took place in the Drama CD and players who didn't read that part will be like "huh, wait what?".

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhhhhh chapter 3 strikes again.
This chapter just keeps going and going and going and it's not very interesting at all.
I loved chapter 2 but my god chapter 3 just slams the brakes on every play through of this game for me.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game a few hours ago and wooooow can we just get CS2 like... NOW?
This game was amazing in so many ways. Loved the characters, the music and the setting. Combat system was also great but easy to break?

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
The more I play cold steel the more I wanna play the Sky games and the Crossbell games once I play/finish CSII. I ain't touching CSIII until then I think, haha.

Yeah, the best would be to play them all before CS3, but I think most people can manage.

CS3 has a lot of references to the Crossbell arc so I can imagine people won't be invested in some characters from that arc.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game a few hours ago and wooooow can we just get CS2 like... NOW?
This game was amazing in so many ways. Loved the characters, the music and the setting. Combat system was also great but easy to break?

It gets easier to break in the sequel. If you thought this was a bit easy, I'd definitely recommend playing on hard at least for CS2. Unless you're going for Max AP, none of the fights are too tough, but are still challenging enough unless you know the busted CS2 strats.

And it gets worse still that the third game assumes you've seen the plot-important NG+ cutscene that's only triggered if you collect all of those NG+ only highly missable books and handed them in to the right person, then spoke to said person before finishing the game. Falcom fuckery at its best.

Man fuck Falcom for that

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the best would be to play them all before CS3, but I think most people can manage.

CS3 has a lot of references to the Crossbell arc so I can imagine people won't be invested in some characters from that arc.
If anything if I just want the story I could play on normal but yeah, there,s something about this serie that compells me to see the rest of their world building. I wanna be prepared for III and eventually IV.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Just beat CS2 on PC......and wow...

The final chapter all the way up to the save clear file is just.....wild.
So drained....

I will say that I'm VERY GLAD I played the crossbell games before 2. Because that part of the game was truly special...

It's kind of funny how even though AO spoiled a big moment in CS2 at the very end, there was another plot twist I did not see coming at all.

Overall CS2 was a great game, solid all the way up to the ending, then it went crazy. However Zero, and especially AO had crazy **** going throughout the game. And I love the SSS crew. So Crossbell > Liberl > Erebonia(so far). All three arcs are great though

Now for the DREADFUL wait for CS3 this fall. *SIGH*

Watched the opening for it, and with the new graphics it was kinda hard to tell who was who. I did notice a couple people who I'm very happy to see are there.

Oct 27, 2017
Just hit the final chapter.

Fucking hell, the battle at the end of Chapter 6 was tough. I think I have a good idea who "C" might be. It seems unlikely given their normal personality, but if I'm reading the clues, right....

Oct 28, 2017
Ha, pretty sure I have some ways to go.

Guys, I'm trying to catch the final fish in the last chapter and I'm finding it impossible. I've caught all the other fish with no problem but catching this one is a different story. Is the 60FPS causing this?
I've only played the Vita version so I can't really compare too much but the last fish is a big jump in difficulty compare to the others, the only advice I can give is to just jam the buttons as much as you can and pray.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
There's a big clue to who C is at some point in the game, I won;t spoil when

I actually spent most of the game thinking it was going to end up being Machias' dad lol

Oct 27, 2017
I've only played the Vita version so I can't really compare too much but the last fish is a big jump in difficulty compare to the others, the only advice I can give is to just jam the buttons as much as you can and pray.

Finally caught the sodding thing. Holy shit, I can't believe catching a fish in a video game has caused my arm so much pain lol

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Just hit the final chapter.

Fucking hell, the battle at the end of Chapter 6 was tough. I think I have a good idea who "C" might be. It seems unlikely given their normal personality, but if I'm reading the clues, right....

DJrmQ8yV4AA9JjX.jpg

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started a second play though. I'm not sure if I'm going to go all in and beat it from beginning to end a second time before Cold Steel 2 launches so soon after beating it for the first time.

What's the deal with the fishing mini game? I tap the shit out of the button highlighted which isn't a problem but then no buttons are highlighted and I loss all my progress.

Oct 28, 2017
I started a second play though. I'm not sure if I'm going to go all in and beat it from beginning to end a second time before Cold Steel 2 launches so soon after beating it for the first time.

What's the deal with the fishing mini game? I tap the shit out of the button highlighted which isn't a problem but then no buttons are highlighted and I loss all my progress.
Yeah it's supposed to do that, as I mentioned above there's nothing you can really do besides bash the hell out of the prompts when they do appear, they're generally not to hard aside from the last one.

The fishing in Sky/Crossbell was a little better, you select the right rod and bait combo and then it was a matter of timing to pull the rod in, no button bashing.

Oct 27, 2017

God help you when you have to catch the final fish. God have mercy on your soul.

(My arm is still sore)

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Right now I'm playing Trails in the Sky SC. Currently at chapter 3.

One thing that the Sky games are lacking are an option for Cursor Memory for battle menu selection. This isn't really an issue if you play with only your mouse but annoying if you play with a controller.

The turbo feature makes these games so much easier to digest. I remember playing FC on my PSP and the battles were such a slog.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's supposed to do that, as I mentioned above there's nothing you can really do besides bash the hell out of the prompts when they do appear, they're generally not to hard aside from the last one.

The fishing in Sky/Crossbell was a little better, you select the right rod and bait combo and then it was a matter of timing to pull the rod in, no button bashing.
God help you when you have to catch the final fish. God have mercy on your soul.

(My arm is still sore)
I am generally pretty good at mashing and caught it first try, I cant imagine what hell people did to catch that who cant mash very well.

Yeah, I'm probably going to give up on the fishing mini game. Lol.. I'm a disable person and I can't smash buttons good at all. I can't even catch one fish nonetheless can imagine catching what you guys are describing as the hardest fish to catch.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
It gets easier to break in the sequel. If you thought this was a bit easy, I'd definitely recommend playing on hard at least for CS2. Unless you're going for Max AP, none of the fights are too tough, but are still challenging enough unless you know the busted CS2 strats.

Man fuck Falcom for that
I actually played this one on hard and will do the same in CS2 but wow so 2 is even easier to break? I have a bit of love/hate for that aspect to be honest. It's cool that using X tactic can destroy a boss while Y will get you KO:ed in a few rounds. But I feel like I'm cheating when a boss never even gets a turn haha.

Aurelia Borel

Oct 30, 2017
Right now I'm playing Trails in the Sky SC. Currently at chapter 3.

One thing that the Sky games are lacking are an option for Cursor Memory for battle menu selection. This isn't really an issue if you play with only your mouse but annoying if you play with a controller.

Wait, I'm confused. That's already present in the games, or at least it is for me. Regardless of whether I'm using a mouse or a gamepad, the game remembers what menu selection each character used last and also what specific art/craft they used.

Unless you mean you want to be able to disable it, in which case, I agree. I wouldn't turn it off myself since I like that option in turn-based games, but having the choice would be nice for those that don't.

Last edited:

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
I actually played this one on hard and will do the same in CS2 but wow so 2 is even easier to break? I have a bit of love/hate for that aspect to be honest. It's cool that using X tactic can destroy a boss while Y will get you KO:ed in a few rounds. But I feel like I'm cheating when a boss never even gets a turn haha.

It's a problem with the series sadly enough and is a consequence of the flexibility of the Trails combat system. There are so many different combination of quartz and CS especially with the MQ that some kind of broken combination will inevitably peak out that just destroys everything in the game.

It was easier to mask in Sky since there is less to work with in FC and early SC (and for a lot of people it's their first Trails game too), but once you understood it's systems well enough, you can cheese a lot of those games bosses too.

Oct 27, 2017
Share your reactions when you find out :D
I was right in the end.

Seems kinda mad really. Especially coming from the

Show dem titties guy

Just finished ToCS1. There was too much awesomeness in that ending for me to get my head around.

Got the PC version of ToCS2 all ready, with the latest updates, the texture pack and a save game to carry across my dance partner (Emma). Let's go!

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
I was right in the end.

Seems kinda mad really. Especially coming from the

Show dem titties guy

Just finished ToCS1. There was too much awesomeness in that ending for me to get my head around.

Got the PC version of ToCS2 all ready, with the latest updates, the texture pack and a save game to carry across my dance partner (Emma). Let's go!

Enjoy it, CS3 is a long wait :(. If you haven't started yet I recommend playing the two crossbell games before CS2. You don't need a high end computer to play them either.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished Cold Steel, this godamn end so much happened ALL AT ONCE. @_@
Tempted to play the first crossbell title but I read it's a bit confusing if I didn't play the Sky games so I think I'll purchase the first Sky game on GOG and play this until CSII is out.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm at chapter 6 now. I really like the game. My first impression is that it feel like Trails of the sky meet Persona. The school setting, bonding event, the calendar. It feel like persona but made to be more traditional and linear.

Anyway, just wondering. Does the game has romance option like Persona or it's all predetermined by the story?

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at chapter 6 now. I really like the game. My first impression is that it feel like Trails of the sky meet Persona. The school setting, bonding event, the calendar. It feel like persona but made to be more traditional and linear.

Anyway, just wondering. Does the game has romance option like Persona or it's all predetermined by the story?
there are romance options yes

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone advise if it would be worth it to get Trails in the Sky SC and the 3rd Evolution versions and try the English patch?

I happen to have a PS VITA TV lying around, but i'm wondering if its really worth the hassle versus just going with the vanilla Steam versions available to us.

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished Cold Steel, this godamn end so much happened ALL AT ONCE. @_@
Tempted to play the first crossbell title but I read it's a bit confusing if I didn't play the Sky games so I think I'll purchase the first Sky game on GOG and play this until CSII is out.

Tell me about it, such a lot to digest! I'm playing CSII now and it's a pleasure.

Why not play CSII on PC? I'm planning to play through CSII on PC and then play the Sky games while I'm waiting for CSIII to be localised.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i just google the romance options. now I'm disappointed that I tried to even out the bonding point rather than choosing which one I want to max first :(

What? I'm on new game plus and I'm maxing out everyone's bonding but I still want to keep the first romance option I chose previously. Ofcourse my bonding event is still maxed out with her but I thought the "pairing" was heavy influence by choosing your choice over the others in events through out the game and mostly towards the end of the game.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What? I'm on new game plus and I'm maxing out everyone's bonding but I still want to keep the first romance option I chose previously. Ofcourse my bonding event is still maxed out with her but I thought the "pairing" was heavy influence by choosing your choice over the others in events through out the game and mostly towards the end of the game.
Well I'm on my first playthrough, already in chapter 6 which I imagine is near the end. And I only have 1 party member at max bond level. Granted that is the one I intend to pick as romance option, but apparently having max bond level will add more scenes when you do save transfer for the sequel.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
To clarify on bonding point stuff:
To access the final bonding event for a character, you need to meet two conditions:
You need to reach the required bonding level for that character (For most it's level five, but for certain characters it's less. Spoiler free version, if a character isn't around as much for whatever reason, it's accounted for, and could be level 4 or even level 3)
And then you need to either:
Attend a bonding event in chapter 6
Choose them for a certain event in the final chapter
The motorbike scene
Or choose them twice for another event in the final chapter.
The festival dates
Any one of these three will meet the second requirement.

As for stuff for the sequel, it's honestly pretty minor so don't worry about it, but vague details:
Whoever you actually pick will be acknowledged as such.
and whoever you *could* have picked will still act like you're besties or whatever and have seen their end game scene.
... which is honestly a little confusing but whatevs. Nothing important anyway.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To clarify on bonding point stuff:
To access the final bonding event for a character, you need to meet two conditions:
You need to reach the required bonding level for that character (For most it's level five, but for certain characters it's less. Spoiler free version, if a character isn't around as much for whatever reason, it's accounted for, and could be level 4 or even level 3)
And then you need to either:
Attend a bonding event in chapter 6
Choose them for a certain event in the final chapter
The motorbike scene
Or choose them twice for another event in the final chapter.
The festival dates
Any one of these three will meet the second requirement.

As for stuff for the sequel, it's honestly pretty minor so don't worry about it, but vague details:
Whoever you actually pick will be acknowledged as such.
and whoever you *could* have picked will still act like you're besties or whatever and have seen their end game scene.
... which is honestly a little confusing but whatevs. Nothing important anyway.

Thanks for this.

On another note

We are close to May. When are we going to get official word on Trails of Cold Steel 2 release date being locked down?