• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was released on March 3, 2017 alongside the Switch. Since then, the Switch version of the game has never left the chart. Last week's Media Create Top 20, released today:

15./12. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 7.694 / 1.307.507 (-1%)

Hence, Breath of the Wild has been charting for two years straight in Japan. The result is pretty remarkable as:
  • the game is becoming the best-selling entry of the franchise in Japan and has already surpassed Ocarina of Time:
Shipments:

[FCM] The Legend of Zelda |Disc System| <ADV> (Nintendo) {1986.02.21} (¥2.600) - 1.690.000
[FCM] Zelda II: The Adventure of Link |Disc System| <ADV> (Nintendo) {1987.01.14} (¥2.600) - 1.610.000
[NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 1.460.000 + >120.000 on Wii U
[N64] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time <ADV> (Nintendo) {1998.11.21} (¥6.800) - 1.460.000
[SFC] The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past _Retail/Nintendo Power_ <ADV> (Nintendo) {1991.11.21} (¥8.000) - 1.160.000
  • recent games didn't set the charts on fire. Skyward Sword sold less than 400.000 units on Wii; A Link Between Worlds below 500.000 units on 3DS; the last million seller entry was, indeed, Ocarina of Time, though Phantom Hourglass got really close,
  • action/adventure tends to have short lifecycles; instead, Breath of the Wild is behaving like a multi-player/party/Mario game, charting for years.
Breath of the Wild has become a gen-defining game---a game new buyers are picking up when purchasing the platform similarly to Mario Kart or Grand Theft Auto V on PS4/XB1.

An amazing achievement for such a beautiful game.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
The Switch is a very attractive system and it makes sense that its best game would continue to sell alongside new consoles. There's also nothing else really like Breath of the Wild on any platform.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Breath of Zelda sounds disgusting
Smells like frogs probably
32e.gif

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess Zelda doesn't have bad breath.

Joking aside good for them I guess. The game wasn't really for me and it's ended up as my least favorite 3D Zelda but it could provide an interesting foundation for the franchise to build on. I'm glad people are still enjoying the franchise.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
and people wonder why Nintendo doesnt join the race to the bottom on pricing slashing

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
845l99grhjy0.gif

amazing performance. botw did THAT. not only is it 🐐, it single handedly launched a super successful platform, and also catapulted zelda into the absolute top class of nintendo series sales-wise and for the first time made zelda a true evergreen title like mario or animal crossing.
oh and also it's still full price and doesn't have to slash it's price to 10 or 20 to keep selling.
also it continues to generate tremendous amounts of salt from many people which is amusing to watch.

Breath of the Zelda is the greatest game of all time after all. Not everyone has that.
true tea

Last edited:

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of Zelda sounds disgusting
I don't know, princess breath are always probably clean. Probably someone's job to make sure lol

As someone who (also) spent childhood days roaming the country side with a wooden stick and slingshot in hand. I even made my own bow too. This game is perfection and I never thought I'd play something like it. As much as I thought Ocarina was the game for me this game has everything I could wish for in an exploration adventure title.

A perfect follow up would be the addition of ocean and sky exploration with Zelda temples.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
It's going to set the franchise record. 2 years later and 2 full playthroughs and I still turn it on just to run around and find koroks. What they invented is just so interesting at every turn and no game has topped it since. I think BotW will sell well until the sequel is released. And if they ever remake it I'll buy it again. GOAT

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
The game deserves all the praise and sales it gets. Nintendo and Anouma's team truly set out to 'refresh' the Zelda series and they did it near-perfectly.

I hope "team A" is working on a pumped up sequel while "team B" is polishing the LA remake.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Link, the Freshmaker. It's a twist to all the boring chosen hero stuff. ;D

Man the stamina of this game, i wish Link had that stamina in-game when climbing. ^^

Christo750

May 10, 2018
As a longtime Zelda fan, it's pretty vindicating to see the series reach these new heights. BOTW was the right game at the right time for the right platform, and I hope we don't fall into the same traps we did with the last era of Zelda and get too iterative with the next games to come.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wonder with this new found success and [without a doubt] many new fans, how much link's awakening is going to sell. of course being a top down remake of a very old game will limit its audience and it won't ever have the same appeal as a big AAA open world game, but i still feel like the series newfound relevance is going to help it do much more than it would have if it was released in a pre-botw world.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Those are abnormal legs for a Zelda and a single player game.

This speaks volume about its quality and how defining Breath of the Wild is.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's very impressive. Even more so when we mention that Zelda hadn't exactly been the biggest in Japan in a long time.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My MC sales dark horse since 2016 when it was announced for the Switch.

I always knew it will reach a million. Great that it's still chugging along.

Oct 26, 2017
It is truly remarkable to see a single player game have this kind of staying power. Then again, I still maintain that it is the best game to experience the convenience that the hybrid nature of the Switch delivers.
I would've never sunk so many hours into this game if I had to play it on the TV only.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still so unsure about starting a second playthrough. I'm worried it'll tarnish my experience of playing it for the first time, and that it won't be as magical.

But I also kinda want to play it again, especially given that I haven't touched any of the post-launch content.

Ugh.