1. Ishaan

Ishaan
    Member OP

[​IMG]

Between its Switch and Wii U versions, Breath of the Wild has sold over 1 million units to consumers at retail.

The Switch version accounts for 871,528 units while the Wii U version accounts for another 133,024 units. (Probably more, as we haven't had updated Wii U numbers in months)

This makes Breath of the Wild the first Zelda since Ocarina of Time to break the 1 million unit mark in Japan.

All sales data from Media Create.

2. Damn Zelda, guess we really aren't the Last of Us

b-because they'll make more.

3. Medalion

Medalion

Zeruda back on top as it should be.

4. DanteLinkX

DanteLinkX

I could bet it will take over ocarina of time with well... time.

It seems japanesse loved the phrase in the game when zelda says "link I'll flow you away with my breath of the wild". Good times.

5. pulga

pulga
    Banned for alt account Member

The GOAT, well deserved.

6. Madao

Madao

prepare for BotW style Zeldas for decades.

7. MrPhiliasfrog

MrPhiliasfrog

The game is amazing, I'm glad it is selling so well, especially in Japan.

8. Sub Boss

Sub Boss

Well deserved

9. Phil32

Phil32

Goes to show that a game like Ocarina of Time that sells nothing during its first week can grow to be huge.

10. Unmei

Unmei

Deserves game of the year!

11. Get_crazy

Get_crazy

I thought Zelda was more popular than that in japan.

12. The game has ridiculous legs in Japan (and the US at least). I can totally see it topping OoT by the end of the year at the latest.

13. Josh5890

Josh5890

Well deserved. Let's hope it isn't another five years before the next Zelda game

14. WestEgg

WestEgg

Very few things are that popular at all in Japan

15. KojiKnight

KojiKnight

Nintendo was able to maintain 2D and 3D Zelda at the same time. No reason to think they can't maintain something similar going forward... Just don't expect non-BotW style to be the big budget games.

16. KojiKnight

KojiKnight

This. Expect another huge bump when the Switch drops in price pre-holiday.

17. Mochi

Mochi

I am so happy for the success of this game. Can't wait for the next installment.

18. Madao

Madao

Zelda was very similar to Metroid in sales patterns for a long time. it was the west carrying the franchise for a long time. they finally managed to get back up there in the homeland.

now, let's see if they can do the same with Metroid Prime 4 for Metroid.

19. rAndom

rAndom

Called it.

Switch version alone is approaching 1 million retail units sold so that's also to look out for.

20. Aaronmac

Aaronmac

I imagine Nintendo will be able to keep the open/freeform nature of BOTW and inject plenty aspects of other 3D Zeldas just fine. Their next is going to be a 50/50 blend of BOTW and OOT. I'm calling it.

21. DecoReturns

DecoReturns

Well Breath of the Wild has surpassed expectations.

Pretty sure back at the old place. Many speculated that it was going to be incredibly hard for BOTW to reached a million. But legs for days for Zelda, even after a Opening that was considered "disappointing" at the time.

22. DecoReturns

DecoReturns

Well Zelda was no slouch in Japan tho. It sell would sell very well.

23. Vinnk

Vinnk

Keep in mind this graph does not contain the Famicom, Super Famicom or first Game Boy Zelda. I believe the Famicom (Disk System and later Cart) version of the First Zelda is still the best selling of the series.

24. Instro

Instro

Not much but probably a touch higher with digital. I imagine Switch retail alone may eventually crack 1mil though.

25. Cybersai

Cybersai

It's weird how poorly Zelda sells in Japan. Doesn't Japan love adventure games with RPG elements? And Breath of the Wild looks like anime!

They should love it

26. yuoke

yuoke

I'm okay with more ALBW style games.

27. Ethifury

Ethifury

Great to see Zelda doing well

28. Sammy Samusu

Sammy Samusu

Cool, but it will be more impressive when the Switch version alone hits 1 million at retail.

It's definitely going to happen sometime soon.

A legend is a legend.

29. GRW810

GRW810

Poor Minish Cap, it deserved better.

30. Jashobeam

Jashobeam

it even outsold Bayonetta last week lol

31. Absolutely insane, it is gonna be the second best selling Zelda of all time in Japan lifetime... Never thought it could be THAT big there.

32. OuterLimits

OuterLimits

Nice. Glad to see it selling so well. Just started really playing this in the last couple days. First Zelda game I have played since the original on NES. I suck at the game though and have only played several hours.(still in the Great Plateau area,) Some enemy just hit Link once or twice and I saw the game over screen. Lol. I like how the map shows a red X where I got poor Link killed.

33. Quakeguy

Quakeguy
    Banned Member

My least favorite Zelda game =(

34. RomanceDawn

RomanceDawn

So happy for it's success! Can't wait to get more games in this style.

35. Sander VF

Sander VF

Honestly, this isn't QUITE like the RE4 situation. Nintendo can very easily bring back classic dungeons and "better story" (I honestly don't value Zelda stories that high, but whatever) within the formula.

36. RexNovis

RexNovis

Happy for the people who enjoyed it even though Iā€™m not among them. A bit sad that this will likely mean the series sticks to this formula for a while.

37. Lord Brady

Lord Brady

As a big fan of Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass, and Between Worlds, I want more "portable" Zelda style games, but I'm really happy for Breath of the Wild's success.

38. Good. This is the most excited and optimistic I've ever been about the series.

39. TheAvatar

TheAvatar

Awesome! Well deserved, I hope the grow with this idea with a better story and better dungeons

40. Fanuilos

Fanuilos

Yeah, hopefully we'll get a Switch overhead style Zelda sometime in the next year or two.

Always happy to see BotW doing well. It was the shift the series needed and I suspect it will only get better.

41. Let's break all the records.

42. Dr. Feel Good

Dr. Feel Good

It's amazing how powerful the DS was that it could push such a mediocre title like Phantom Hourglass as one of the best selling the franchise. Looks like Switch is also doing the same for a similar mediocre Zelda title.

43. GiantBreadbug

GiantBreadbug

That's certainly one way of spinning it, sure

Japan is just a smaller country with a smaller market is all. It's a huge deal that it passed this milestone in less than a year to me, especially given that the series isn't a guaranteed winner in Japan 100% of the time. Heck, it was a big deal when Splatoon 2 passed 2 million since that's a threshold rarely met in this country.

44. Sander VF

Sander VF

BotW is selling because vast majority of people think it's a phenomenal game.

45. AztecComplex

AztecComplex

It depresses me that a consistently high quality Japanese made franchise like Zelda struggles like this in Japan when the rest of the world can't get enough of it.

46. darz1

darz1

I have a feeling you havent played all the zelda games

47. You could work for the Trump administration with that level of spin!

48. Phendrift

Phendrift

[​IMG]

49. Kaitos

Kaitos

wat

50. THE ROAD TO 1 MILLION IS DONE.