• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I'm always surprised by the difference in popularity for Zelda in the West and in Japan so it's nice to see Zelda enjoy some success in Japan as well. BOTW deserves every bit of success and acclaim it's gotten, especially with how salty some folk are over that. Does my heart some good :P

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
It depresses me that a consistently high quality Japanese made franchise like Zelda struggles like this in Japan when the rest of the world can't get enough of it.

Didn't the very first game sell something like 1.7 millions in Japan? Could be that Japan just don't like the linear Zelda titles.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen a minority more vocal than the BotW haters.

Y'all really shit up every thread about it don't you :/

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo should be happy to see Zelda doing so well in Japan. BotW is such a great game and was exactly the shot in the arm that Zelda needed.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite Zelda, man I'm glad it's done so well everywhere overall. Nice Japan got it to 1 million over there.

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how powerful the DS was that it could push such a mediocre title like Phantom Hourglass as one of the best selling the franchise. Looks like Switch is also doing the same for a similar mediocre Zelda title.

aDyPp3n.png

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
First time in about 25 years that a Zelda game is bigger than the last Final Fantasy game.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Majora's Mask was surprisingly successful, considering how much flak it still receives on the internet for its save system and race-against-the-clock gameplay.

As for BOTW, I see Japanese early Switch adopters were clearly starved for games! /s

I'm glad Japan could recognize what a great game this is, and make it the most successful Zelda game there in 20 years.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It might be able to actually beat OoT when it's all said and done. What about other territories? Can it become the best selling Zelda game ever?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It pleases me greatly to see a great game rewarded with sales.

Zelda was getting incredibly stale and adding more slow tutorials and handholding doesn't make games more accessible. Compelling play and great design do.

The Switch version alone will outsell OoT when all is said and done.

I imagine Nintendo will be able to keep the open/freeform nature of BOTW and inject plenty aspects of other 3D Zeldas just fine. Their next is going to be a 50/50 blend of BOTW and OOT. I'm calling it.
I'm sure I read that Sonoma said that BotW will serve as a template for future Zelda titles. I'm fine with that, but I'd love another traditional Zelda that's a blend of both styles like A Link Between Worlds. I think the next Zelda will be just like BotW in terms of gameplay and scope but will have traditional Zelda dungeons and more of them.

Last edited:

Mailenstein

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I would love the next Zelda game to have that comic art style from the first NES game illustrations. Would be amazing! :D

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
I always wondering why Zelda in Japan don't have same popularity like Dragon Quest or MonHun.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Hopefully this makes Nintendo think about 'BoTW-ing' other franchises, and taking risks.

What if they applied BoTW logic to 2D Mario. Or to Kirby. Or to DK. Heck, to Mario Kart.

I guess this would mean they'd have to define what 'BoTW-ing' was, though. What did the team do to make it a success? What was the thought process and development process?

Deleted member 26535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People here need to accept other people's opinion and stop with these low effort "replies".

Aonuma's Zeldas are awful, and both DS games are really bad. It is ok if you like them, but accusing someone of baiting just because you do not agreed is very immature and I see this here a lot.

sigh. Just another person in my ignore list now. =/