• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
DWnP32DW4AA-MiW.jpg

Between its Switch and Wii U versions, Breath of the Wild has sold over 1 million units to consumers at retail.

The Switch version accounts for 871,528 units while the Wii U version accounts for another 133,024 units. (Probably more, as we haven't had updated Wii U numbers in months)

This makes Breath of the Wild the first Zelda since Ocarina of Time to break the 1 million unit mark in Japan.

All sales data from Media Create.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could bet it will take over ocarina of time with well... time.

It seems japanesse loved the phrase in the game when zelda says "link I'll flow you away with my breath of the wild". Good times.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Goes to show that a game like Ocarina of Time that sells nothing during its first week can grow to be huge.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The game has ridiculous legs in Japan (and the US at least). I can totally see it topping OoT by the end of the year at the latest.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. Let's hope it isn't another five years before the next Zelda game

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
I thought Zelda was more popular than that in japan.

Zelda was very similar to Metroid in sales patterns for a long time. it was the west carrying the franchise for a long time. they finally managed to get back up there in the homeland.

now, let's see if they can do the same with Metroid Prime 4 for Metroid.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Called it.

Switch version alone is approaching 1 million retail units sold so that's also to look out for.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Well Breath of the Wild has surpassed expectations.

Pretty sure back at the old place. Many speculated that it was going to be incredibly hard for BOTW to reached a million. But legs for days for Zelda, even after a Opening that was considered "disappointing" at the time.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda was very similar to Metroid in sales patterns for a long time. it was the west carrying the franchise for a long time. they finally managed to get back up there in the homeland.

now, let's see if they can do the same with Metroid Prime 4 for Metroid.
Well Zelda was no slouch in Japan tho. It sell would sell very well.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Keep in mind this graph does not contain the Famicom, Super Famicom or first Game Boy Zelda. I believe the Famicom (Disk System and later Cart) version of the First Zelda is still the best selling of the series.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Not much but probably a touch higher with digital. I imagine Switch retail alone may eventually crack 1mil though.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It's weird how poorly Zelda sells in Japan. Doesn't Japan love adventure games with RPG elements? And Breath of the Wild looks like anime!

They should love it

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Cool, but it will be more impressive when the Switch version alone hits 1 million at retail.

It's definitely going to happen sometime soon.

A legend is a legend.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Absolutely insane, it is gonna be the second best selling Zelda of all time in Japan lifetime... Never thought it could be THAT big there.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nice. Glad to see it selling so well. Just started really playing this in the last couple days. First Zelda game I have played since the original on NES. I suck at the game though and have only played several hours.(still in the Great Plateau area,) Some enemy just hit Link once or twice and I saw the game over screen. Lol. I like how the map shows a red X where I got poor Link killed.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Nintendo was able to maintain 2D and 3D Zelda at the same time. No reason to think they can't maintain something similar going forward... Just don't expect non-BotW style to be the big budget games.
Honestly, this isn't QUITE like the RE4 situation. Nintendo can very easily bring back classic dungeons and "better story" (I honestly don't value Zelda stories that high, but whatever) within the formula.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Happy for the people who enjoyed it even though I'm not among them. A bit sad that this will likely mean the series sticks to this formula for a while.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a big fan of Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass, and Between Worlds, I want more "portable" Zelda style games, but I'm really happy for Breath of the Wild's success.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As a big fan of Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass, and Between Worlds, I want more "portable" Zelda style games, but I'm really happy for Breath of the Wild's success.
Yeah, hopefully we'll get a Switch overhead style Zelda sometime in the next year or two.

Always happy to see BotW doing well. It was the shift the series needed and I suspect it will only get better.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how powerful the DS was that it could push such a mediocre title like Phantom Hourglass as one of the best selling the franchise. Looks like Switch is also doing the same for a similar mediocre Zelda title.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how powerful the DS was that it could push such a mediocre title like Phantom Hourglass as one of the best selling the franchise. Looks like Switch is also doing the same for a similar mediocre Zelda title.

That's certainly one way of spinning it, sure

It depresses me that a consistently high quality Japanese made franchise like Zelda struggles like this in Japan when the rest of the world can't get enough of it.

Japan is just a smaller country with a smaller market is all. It's a huge deal that it passed this milestone in less than a year to me, especially given that the series isn't a guaranteed winner in Japan 100% of the time. Heck, it was a big deal when Splatoon 2 passed 2 million since that's a threshold rarely met in this country.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It depresses me that a consistently high quality Japanese made franchise like Zelda struggles like this in Japan when the rest of the world can't get enough of it.