• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ERA_botwzeldaop_v3_01.gif
era_botwzeldaop_v3_02plki8.png
ERA_botwzeldaop_v3.png
untitled-2oxjhx.png

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
How difficult did people find this game? I found it to be one of the more challenging Zelda's.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
How difficult did people find this game? I found it to be one of the more challenging Zelda's.

It can be pretty brutal at the start but once you build up a good amount of hearts and food it loses most of it's difficulty.

I was still never not-anxious when a guardian was aiming it's laser at me though, no matter how many I destroyed.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017

The first 10 hours or so we're like a cold bucket of water dumped over my head compared to the rest of the modern entries in the series. I saw the Game Over screen a ton, which I've almost never seen in Zelda games.

It does get easier from there, but not knowing how that would work created a singular feeling of survival that I loved, and made becoming an unstoppable badass (being able to take out Guardians) extremely rewarding.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a chest or place where I can store weapons and shields?

There's an in-game location where you can store some weapons and shields:

Going off from memory... If you do the Hylian Home Owner side quest in Hateno Village, by buying a house from the Bolsons, they give you the option to keep decking out your home for more money. If you keep going they will make it so you can display three weapons, bows and shields in your home.

BotW is still my GOTY too. o/

Milijango

Oct 27, 2017
OT! I didn't get a Switch until the start of this month, but I'm already 50 hours in with 3 divine beasts and 80 shrines. It's a hell of a game; the only real problems I have it are the inventory and that exploration is a bit too shrine-centric; it does narrow the range of possibilities for any cool events you stumble into out in the world when they invariably lead to a shrine or a silver rupee. Still, I can't imagine putting the game aside anytime soon.

By virtue of the save-anywhere system and instant, plentiful healing I feel like Breath of the Wild has been a pretty stress-free experience, even though I've died more in it than the other games combined.

DannyVice

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys,

I just wondered what would be the best Let' Play / Walkthrough of BOTW? I'm trying to experience/watch the story and all the special stuff in the game, but i don't know which playthrough might be the best. I'm not big on screaming and youtube shenigans, i just wan't a nice and pleasant playthrough :) All help is appricated.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

tg5g3szkbjaonks4t.gif

Hey guys,

I just wondered what would be the best Let' Play / Walkthrough of BOTW? I'm trying to experience/watch the story and all the special stuff in the game, but i don't know which playthrough might be the best. I'm not big on screaming and youtube shenigans, i just wan't a nice and pleasant playthrough :) All help is appricated.

Hi! I've only watched speedruns in terms of 'full' playthroughs, but quickly looking around I found these two:

If you'd like a no commentary walkthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE8PS7r3IGM

Others may have better suggestions.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for maki this OT! I am .just now going through big chunks of the game and was looking for a place to post to.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you so much man! I just bought the game instead though haha.

That's cool, haha. I hope you enjoy it! What platform are you playing it on? Switch?

Thank you for maki this OT! I am .just now going through big chunks of the game and was looking for a place to post to.

No problem~ I figured it deserved an OT since a lot of people are just now getting access to the game, and more will in the future. I saw people asking for one when the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC was added recently, too.

Speaking of which, I still need to boot the game up and do that side quest.

DannyVice

Oct 25, 2017
That's cool, haha. I hope you enjoy it! What platform are you playing it on? Switch?
Yeah Switch! I just never played any Zelda game for a good amount, just briefly. I really wish i was into the lore and everything - it seems like such a special series but always found the games a bit difficult and time consuming. But i'm finishing BOTW before Christmas, no matter what.

hypostatic

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I've been playing this nonstop since I picked up my Switch. I'm about 40 hours in with ~30 shrines and 3 divine beasts completed. I previously started this on the Wii U but couldn't get over the framerate after putting 35 hours into it so sold it and bought a Switch. I don't think I've had this much fun exploring in a game. It's just such a joy to play and incredibly satisfying. Definitely in my top 10 games of all time and it might make it into my top 5.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is there any items that are meant to be sold purely for the rupees?

Some items are needed for upgrading things, but most are quite easy to find again besides a few particular items. I would advise you to hang on to any bee honey you find, though. They can be quite annoying to track down in large quantities.

Yeah Switch! I just never played any Zelda game for a good amount, just briefly. I really wish i was into the lore and everything - it seems like such a special series but always found the games a bit difficult and time consuming. But i'm finishing BOTW before Christmas, no matter what.

With BotW at least you can do as much or as little as you want before going for the end game. One day I'll go for that Great Plateau -> Hyrule Castle run. :P The autosaves make it pretty stress free, so maybe that's helping with the difficulty. Good luck with getting it done before Christmas~ There's a lot I need to wrap up before the year is over, too.

I've been playing this nonstop since I picked up my Switch. I'm about 40 hours in with ~30 shrines and 3 divine beasts completed. I previously started this on the Wii U but couldn't get over the framerate after putting 35 hours into it so sold it and bought a Switch. I don't think I've had this much fun exploring in a game. It's just such a joy to play and incredibly satisfying. Definitely in my top 10 games of all time and it might make it into my top 5.

I had to work out my feelings towards the game for a month or so, but in the end I decided it was in my top 5 games of all time, too, and my second favourite Zelda game. The sense of wonderment and exploration are quite unlike anything I've experienced before. The number of "Eureka!" moments are something else. I love that now that the Switch has the capture feature, we're getting a lot of cool little clips and in turn are still discovering things we can do in this game so many months later.

This is a tweet that has been shared around quite a bit, but it's amazing how it makes perfect sense but still has you thinking "you can do that?"

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
How does the Wii U version hold up compared to the Switch, in it's current/most recent patched state?
I'm dying to play it, but I don't have a Switch yet.

Are there any videos comparing performance as of the latest patches?

OP
OP

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does the Wii U version hold up compared to the Switch, in it's current/most recent patched state?
I'm dying to play it, but I don't have a Switch yet.

Are there any videos comparing performance as of the latest patches?

When googling I only see March as the most recent results, which makes sense since Wii U has fallen further out of relevance since then.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Wii U version has gotten much performance updates? It being the version they were working on for the longest, it's probably optimised as much as possible, so this video should still hold true for the Wii U version at least:

The Switch version has had a few performance patches since then, though. Unless the occasional frame drops bother you that much, I would go ahead and play it on Wii U if you're not going to get a Switch any time soon. But yeah, that's if it's not a deal breaker for you.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Ah was wondering where this thread was.

Time to bump with some awesome video.

It's like I can rediscover this game even after 350 hours of playtime. It's already happened a few times before since March.

What a game. I love Odyssey (just beat Luncheon which was amazing and headed to the next..) and it gets better and better but I think BOTW will still be my GOTY.

Moments like this....

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I am slightly unsure about buying this, even though it should be up my alley.

I fear that I've seen too much of the game, namely tricks like that boomerang saw blade.

Between that, knowing about places like Eventide (though I haven't seen it), reading the criticism that all there is to find is shrines and koroks, I'm fearing that the game has preemptively lost its sense of wonder with me.

Everyone ragging on dungeons doesn't help either

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC

I fear that I've seen too much of the game, namely tricks like that boomerang saw blade.

Between that, knowing about places like Eventide (though I haven't seen it), reading the criticism that all there is to find is shrines and koroks, I'm fearing that the game has preemptively lost its sense of wonder with me.

Everyone tagging on dungeons doesn't help either

350+ hrs in and I still have a sense of awe and wonder when I play.

I just found this out the other day...

OP
OP

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ex trials of the sword worth doing?

It makes your master sword stronger, so I would say yes. I found it pretty fun.

This one made me laugh, haha.

Everyone tagging on dungeons doesn't help either

Whilst I would definitely recommend everyone to try and see everything for themselves for the first time in BotW (part of the draw of the game is the sense of discovery), I'm still discovering things after thinking I've seen everything that the world has to offer. I don't know if that helps or not. I would definitely advise you not to watch any more footage if you plan on playing yourself, though!

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Whilst I would definitely recommend everyone to try and see everything for themselves for the first time in BotW (part of the draw of the game is the sense of discovery), I'm still discovering things after thinking I've seen everything that the world has to offer. I don't know if that helps or not. I would definitely advise you not to watch any more footage if you plan on playing yourself, though!
I haven't really seen much beyond the plateau. But I've seen many tricks and details. Also gathered stuff through reading posts (eventide, dragon, maze forest). And then the criticism of only shrines and koroks really rubbed off on me in a bad way.

I just can't shake that fear that I've "defanged" the game somewhat. I'm afraid of coming away lukewarm.

Regardless I feel I need to get this game since I'm buying a Switch

OP
OP

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really seen much beyond the plateau. But I've seen many tricks and details. Also gathered stuff through reading posts (eventide, dragon, maze forest). And then the criticism of only shrines and koroks really rubbed off on me in a bad way.

I just can't shake that fear that I've "defanged" the game somewhat. I'm afraid of coming away lukewarm.

Regardless I feel I need to get this game since I'm buying a Switch

That's a shame, then. If I'm honest I'd be really bummed out if certain details were spoiled for me, too. I'm a big Zelda fan so it would definitely still be worth playing for me, but hopefully you can still find a lot of enjoyment in the game if you do buy it. Just try to go in with a fresh mind if you can. There are probably still a fair number of surprises waiting for you, too. There's definitely more than the ones you listed.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
That's a shame, then. If I'm honest I'd be really bummed out if certain details were spoiled for me, too. I'm a big Zelda fan so it would definitely still be worth playing for me, but hopefully you can still find a lot of enjoyment in the game if you do buy it. Just try to go in with a fresh mind if you can. There are probably still a fair number of surprises waiting for you, too. There's definitely more than the ones you listed.
It's a shame.

I was putting off purchasing a Switch for one reason or another until I ended up like this.

To be fair, I haven't read about those events in detail so I got that going for me at least.

Also, would it be a compelling way to play the game if I were to choose a direction and keep traveling there? I thought about making a trip to the sea.

Also is party to easy to pull off? I'm afraid that knowing this will make guardians into pushovers.

potam

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got this and my Switch last week (or maybe the week before? I don't remember), and I'm so glad I didn't spoil anything about this game for myself. It really has lived up to the hype. I honestly didn't know what to expect, and I still don't going forward. This is the kind of game I can dick around for a few hours, and realize I haven't really done anything at all.

Although I was pissed about
the Master Sword requiring a certain amount of hearts.... I still don't have it :(

Maiar_m

Oct 26, 2017
France
I got this and my Switch last week (or maybe the week before? I don't remember), and I'm so glad I didn't spoil anything about this game for myself. It really has lived up to the hype. I honestly didn't know what to expect, and I still don't going forward. This is the kind of game I can dick around for a few hours, and realize I haven't really done anything at all.

Although I was pissed about
the Master Sword requiring a certain amount of hearts.... I still don't have it :(
I loved that, it made so much sense lore-wise, you need to grow as the character to be worthy. I think the game is best played RPing, and when I got to that part you mentioned, I wasn't even mad but like "yup, figures, gotta do more reps".

potam

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I loved that, it made so much sense lore-wise, you need to grow as the character to be worthy. I think the game is best played RPing, and when I got to that part you mentioned, I wasn't even mad but like "yup, figures, gotta do more reps".

I'm mainly just annoyed because I don't want to look it up online, so I keep going back to it every time I get a new heart.

Maiar_m

Oct 26, 2017
France
I'm mainly just annoyed because I don't want to look it up online, so I keep going back to it every time I get a new heart.
Yes I understand, I had set myself a minimum number of hearts before I even dared try (I wanted at least a full row + 1, meaning my RP Link would feel like he had pushed his initial limitations and therefore gained the rights) and the game was apparently fine with that.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Man, when do we finally get some DLC news? I hope it adds a new explorable area with new shrines and such. I just want to continue exploring but I've seen all of Hyrule bar 3 or 4 shrines in the main game already. D:

OP
OP

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame.

I was putting off purchasing a Switch for one reason or another until I ended up like this.

To be fair, I haven't read about those events in detail so I got that going for me at least.

Also, would it be a compelling way to play the game if I were to choose a direction and keep traveling there? I thought about making a trip to the sea.

Also is party to easy to pull off? I'm afraid that knowing this will make guardians into pushovers.

Yep. When you get out of the opening area, you have the option to go in any direction you choose, even though there is an objective to chase right away if you want. Some people played the game in a fairly linear fashion (even though there isn't any real order to doing the main dungeons), others chose to go off the beaten path, and others chose to uncover the entire map before even attempting any of the main quest. It's interesting to see how each person's journey varied (and finding out that some people missed some pretty cool moments/quests despite playing for 100+ hours). When I replay the game, I'll definitely do things differently.

I guess that would depend on how skilled you are at the game. I wouldn't say it's too difficult to pull off. The guardians can be pretty terrifying at first, but I was able to handle them later on in the game.

Great to see my alt here! :jolly:

There are three 'levels' that come with a set of rooms (I think 16?), each increasing in difficulty. You can take a break and save between each level. I finished the first one and managed to finish it on my first try. The enemies and items in each room will be the same, so even if you die on your first attempt, you'll be able to figure out a strategy for the next time.

Man, when do we finally get some DLC news? I hope it adds a new explorable area with new shrines and such. I just want to continue exploring but I've seen all of Hyrule bar 3 or 4 shrines in the main game already. D:

I think most people are speculating that we'll find out after XC2 is released. Maybe at The Game Awards? Aonuma has reconfirmed that it's coming this year several times, at least.

After the radio silence I hope we'll get something substantial, too. I know we're getting a new shrine and new challenges on top of the new story, so I have to assume these take place in a different area. Here's hoping!

OP
OP

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to doing the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 quest. It was pretty fun figuring out the riddles and finding the pieces of the costume.

DPGR5TLV4AA3J0k.jpg:large

I do wish they named the quest something else, though. :P

Last edited:

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On Hard Mode it is indeed a beast, and outright requires you to use buff meals- which is great!

I was 3/4 Beasts down and then Hard Mode released, restarted immediately and am back to 2/4 Beasts KO'd. 146 hours, no intention of stopping any time soon, still awaiting the second DLC, haven't played a game this wonderful in a very, very long time. I think Dark Souls was the last to truly have me thinking about it outside of the house.

All on the WiiU by the way- after those two patches the game runs like a dream.

It's also up there now with MGS3 in terms of my favorite sneaking forest assassination simulators.

Milijango

Oct 27, 2017
Beat Ganon at 60 hours, which by the sound of things is pretty fast. Of course, I'm definitely not finished - at the very least I have Tarry Town and 32 more shrines (assuming I go for completion). Fuck Korok seeds, I have less than 10% of them.

Probably going to give the game a break until DLC2. It's definitely in my top 3 games this year.

Last edited:

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
Do we know anything yet about that Explorer's Edition guide book coming out this week yet? I'm trying to find some more info on it to determine if that edition is going to be worth losing the convenience of the digital version of the game when I buy it in a few days.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know anything yet about that Explorer's Edition guide book coming out this week yet? I'm trying to find some more info on it to determine if that edition is going to be worth losing the convenience of the digital version of the game when I buy it in a few days.

I don't think we know anything specific besides it containing lore and info. The PR statement said that it would be 100 pages.

I'd say it's probably a simpler version of the standard edition guide, which is 368 pages.

Still no info on DLC part 2? They can't back out on this, I already paid for it!

Nintendo ran off with our money. *shakes fist*

Aonuma has reconfirmed a few times that it's coming this year. I'm thinking they're waiting until XC2 releases.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Super Mario Bros. 2 had something like that.

Anyway, almost done with Master Mode and Normal Mode (again), just need to upgrade these on both and get some Korok Seeds on Master Mode.

DPKOYPmV4AAIpxg.jpg
Hmm now that you mention it, they did also package NSMU and Luigi U together for Nintendo Selects, so it is possible.

Hard mode has a separate save slot, right?

I'm looking forward to starting over but the amiibo items can require some incredible luck sometimes. I remember getting Epona on my first try, but I must have tried a million times for the light bow. ;-;