• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 13, 2017
Just finished the game. Switch says 220 hours or more.
Did everything and the DLCs except for getting every single Korok seed. Kinda sucked when the game ran out of armor slots and I had to start selling stuff I didn't like.

Biggest complaints are that the game had a great score but you mostly never get to hear it, wished there was more story, wished there were more quests, the voice acting was kinda bad, and the ending was kinda weak. Overall small complaints compared to the total body of work. This game had its teeth in me the entire time. This hasn't happened in a very long time for me.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Finally bought a switch a week ago, and now I'm playing Zelda. Was having fun, then got bored at, but I'm having so much fun again now. Just faced my 1st Lynel and I won. The world is amazing, exploring is fun. I wish there are more enemy variation though.

Haven't faced any divine beast, I'm too busy climbing and hunting.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bought the Limited Edition soundtrack of the game in Paris a bit over a week and a half ago and can now finally listen to it. Absolutely gorgeous packaging and lovely music.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
I finally finished the Ballad of Champions. I got it Day 1 and did the first bit but was struggling with the map locating bit. Quit for several months and got back in the other day and tried a new area and was able to breeze through.

The final divine beast and boss were excellent. The beast was by far the best in the game. I want more of that.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing the game for the last month and a half and the game is just excellent. There is just so much to do. I really just like the subtle things in the game mechanics such as walking in the shadows in the desert areas to cool down and sneaking behind enemies to sneak attack them. I think I have put in about 40 hours and I have not even fought one of the divine beasts yet. I did fight one of the dragons in the ice region and that was pretty darn cool. This makes me hope that the divine beasts will be great battles. But before that, I am going to continue to explore the areas a bit more and seeing what other secrets are in the area.

The only thing I do miss are the dungeons. The shrines are a great idea, but adding some traditional dungeons would have been great. I hope the next Zelda combines the best parts of BOTW and brings back dungeons. I might get the DLC later on, but right now, I am going to continue enjoying the original game.

yumayuma

Feb 23, 2018
Just made it up to the Divine Beast of the DLC. Played the original game in March and April, so didn't think it would hook me again after half a year because I was exhausted at the end. But actually, I didn't want the DLC to end. I'm glad I didn't have Hero's Path from the start because it would have influenced my play style. Now I seek some of the blank spots on the map and exploring feels new again. Even if there are only Korok seeds to find, the game feels fresh again and discovering new places and taking screenshots is fun in and by itself. For how long, I don't know, but I would call it my game of the year if it hadn't been released 2017.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Amazing how I can go from playing the first game in the series to the last in mere seconds.

Ps. The Switch really needs more than 30 second recordings, damn.

Last edited:

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Amazing how I can go from playing the first game in the series to the last in mere seconds.

Ps. The Switch really needs more than 30 second recordings, damn.

Quick question, how do you get the horse armor and how do you put it on a horse?

And yeah, that is pretty amazing. Hearing the original opening theme song gave me goosebumps.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
how do you get the horse armor and how do you put it on a horse?

There's a few places you can get some horse armor from, and you can only equip it at certain stables where there's a girl who can customize your horse just outside the stables near the cooking pot.

I've forgotten where you can get some of the armor. Some of then I found in my first game I cant remember where to find it in game 2. I can tell you that near the south/southwest area of the map sorta nearing the edge is a horse-centric area where you can find a special NPC you can interact with, a special horse, horse armor, and one of the stables where you can customize the horse.

The armor I have is part of the DLC. You get hints from a book that tells you where to get stuff and you have to go track it down yourself. Finding special armor and items from the DLC is super fun.

Hope that helps.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
There's a few places you can get some horse armor from, and you can only equip it at certain stables where there's a girl who can customize your horse just outside the stables near the cooking pot.

I've forgotten where you can get some of the armor. Some of then I found in my first game I cant remember where to find it in game 2. I can tell you that near the south/southwest area of the map sorta nearing the edge is a horse-centric area where you can find a special NPC you can interact with, a special horse, horse armor, and one of the stables where you can customize the horse.

The armor I have is part of the DLC. You get hints from a book that tells you where to get stuff and you have to go track it down yourself. Finding special armor and items from the DLC is super fun.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, that helps a lot :)

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
This game will never not be a beautiful masterpiece to me. I still want to 100% it, and I'm not even remotely close to doing so. Had I just stuck to one game, I would have. Spreading out my progress across two games has really cost me, but I'm not complaining. And I love Master Mode.

This game is one of the GOAT.
Dng47ITUwAUMCBp

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've trying really hard to "get into" this game but I keep feeling aimless when I boot it. I never seem to manage playing longer than hour at most and don't feel like I've accomplished anything. Maybe it's just not for me. I think it might just be too open and overwhelming for me. I prefer to play more linear games nowadays.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I need to continue it myself. Got most of the towers unlocked and playing on mm.

Just feels like I do the same thing over and over again. Especially with combat. I have fun whenever I start playing it but fifteen minutes later and it is like eating a fifth slice of pizza.

Wondering even if after 40+ hours if I should start over on non MM even with all the things I got and done in MM...

Last edited:

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Man, this game just keeps on giving. I keep finding new things about it.

My favorite outfit so far is the stealth outfit you get from Kakariko Village. I love using this outfit for hunting and scavenging. You can sneak up on animals, insects, reptiles, moblins, and almost anything. Best hunting combo is the stealth outfit and bombs. I just sneak up on the animals, throw bombs, and booooooom, meat for dinner. In extreme conditions like the volcano areas and ice cold plains, just equip a weapon that has the opposite weather attribute, one piece of clothing to ward off the elements, and two pieces of the stealth outfit to be able to hunt animals again. Pure genius.

Last night I also discovered a good way to use some of the heavier weapons like hammers and axes more effectively against enemies. I was fighting one of the guardian scouts in one of the major tests of strengths and I was hacking away with my axe. Usually, I can get about 3-4 hits in when I have them parazlyed with statsis. Then I was thinking about how I usually charge up my weapon to unleash Urbosa's fury, but this is not allowed during the test. I reflexively started charging on one occasion and I saw Link start to swing the axe in a circle. That's when I had the idea of using statis and charging the weapon to use the circular motion to hit the Guardian Scout. It freaking works!! And after the charge up I used the big swing to deal additional damage. So awesome.

And this morning, I was playing on the bus and I was in the Thunder Plateau area. There was a lot of lightning coming down and I thought, I wonder if the thunder helm works. So I wear it, save the game, and then walk around to get the lightning to strike me. I survive a lightning strike. I am like, cool. Then I get the bright idea of using the lightning helm during a storm to fight enemies. Unfortunately, there were no enemies in the area. There was a fox though. So I walked around for a while waiting for the electricity to charge up and then walked up to the fox. The lightning struck me and electrified the fox. I laughed out loud for a bit there. That was a resilient fox though as it did not die. I am guessing the lightning will only paralyze enemies so I will have to keep that in mind. I can't wait to fight in a lightning storm against enemies and seeing the results.

I feel like I have put in about 50+ hours and I am still finding lots of new things. This game is incredible.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this straight: Is it or is it not worth fighting in Master Mode? Somewhere it was suggested this game does indeed have some kind of invisible leveling system that makes gear drops improve as you kill more enemies.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
So let me get this straight: Is it or is it not worth fighting in Master Mode? Somewhere it was suggested this game does indeed have some kind of invisible leveling system that makes gear drops improve as you kill more enemies.

Two divines down and all shrines open, they still drop the low level 12 damage trash. MM is sooo not worth, mainly because it magnifies the negatives in combat.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

I'm playing the base game and have no experience with Master mode. With that said, I've beaten the 4 divine beasts and have about 90 shrines completed. I have noticed that the Lynels I have been farming have been upgraded several times. At the moment,they've become Silver Lynels with some great weapons, bows and shields. So I think they level up as you play more .

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing the base game and have no experience with Master mode. With that said, I've beaten the 4 divine beasts and have about 90 shrines completed. I have noticed that the Lynels I have been farming have been upgraded several times. At the moment,they've become Silver Lynels with some great weapons, bows and shields. So I think they level up as you play more .

I know enemies level up after you kill them and the blood moon revives them (I spent about 200 hours on Wii U normal mode before buying the Switch and this game with Master Mode), but I'm trying to figure out if gear drops overall improve as you do more combat.

Chyron_8472

Oct 4, 2018
Tulsa, OK
I'm trying to figure out if gear drops overall improve as you do more combat.

No. What gear drops for you depends on what enemies you kill, not how long you've been killing them. Yes, later in the game, after you've level yourself up, you may get better drops but that's because later in the game harder enemies will spawn. You won't see many gold-tier monsters in early game, but you do later on. Still, bokoblin clubs never improve in quality.

In Master Mode early game, I suggest sneaking into the castle and looting weapons there. There are several very good weapons lying about there that you can regularly access easily (plus the Hylian Shield) once you unlock the shrine in the basement near the docks.

Also, use the snowball bowling minigame to get fast money, and farm guardians for parts to build Ancient Weapons. If you get the timing down right, you can kill a guardian by parrying with a pot lid.

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
odd bump for sure, but this was shared with me and i wanted to share it with others.

reminds me of pogo's work.

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent the past month playing mostly Breath of the Wild. Pretty close to my arbitrary cut-off point, I think. I've cleared all 120 base game shrines, cheesed the Trial of the Sword, collected nearly all the armor in the game (Ancient alone is left, I think). All that's left are the 12 Champion shrines and Hyrule Castle, and for gear my cutoff point will be fully upgrading the classic Link 'of the Wild' set the game gives you for clearing all the shrines.

Trial of the Sword was... interesting. :)
I beat the Beginning trials quickly enough but was not particularly interested in grinding away at the remaining ones. So I did a quick search and found that you can skip to the end, and relatively easily too! Allot of design coincidences had to come together for it to work, but it does.

So first things first, you can leave the game map in BotW, and it's actually really easy. You grab a magnetic box, pull it close (but not flush) to a flat wall, hit the box with Stasis and then hit it with a weapon a bunch more times in the direction of the wall. Position yourself between the box and the wall while pushing up against the box and boom! The momentum tosses you threw the wall.

Once outside the map though, apparently all the rooms of the Trial are actually smaller chambers in one gigantic map separate from the rest of the game, except for the room at the very end where you claim your powered up master sword. Once you're outside, you just have to run to the boss room, clear that one, and step inside the ring to teleport you to the master sword room. But it's even easier than that: The game doesn't check that you've beaten the boss for that set of trials, only that you've beaten a boss room, meaning that you can just run over to the first Hinox room from the Beginning set and you're golden.

Getting back into the map is a little tricky - You need to raise an ice block almost pixel-perfectly by an edge of the Hinox room so that you can clip back in, but that's the hardest part about it because even with no/crap weapons the Hinox is easy. The game leaves a metal box for you in his chamber which you can use to stunlock him by repeatedly smashing it into his groin.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
Hey all. So a massive review/analysis is being posted by Arlo. He implied that the episodes will come out irregularly around his other content.

Episode 1 is his intro and discussing the 'Magic of Exploration' (19:14) released last week.

Episode 2 is his discussion on the technical and aesthetic merits of the graphics, music and sound. (31:24) Released yesterday.

I thought it was very thoughtful and in depth, touching on some things I hadn't heard anyone talk about. Listening to this I got the impression that Arlo has a background in theatre or film, which makes sense since he makes YouTube video. But who knows.

I found them nostalgic (for the game), rehashing lots of common thoughts about the game but pulling it all together nicely. I won't post any other episodes until they are all done as to not spam this thread.

May 17, 2018
Hey my Wife is currently playing Breath of the Wild and has never played any other Zelda.

She asked me what Zelda games should she play next, but unfortunately I'm am NOT a Nintendo guy so I don't know.

My wife likes Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted games, God of War games, Tomb Raider games. she's completed bioshock infinite. I'm just listing things she has beat so it'll maybe be easier to guide us on from Breath of the Wild.

ANY SUGGESTIONS GUYS?

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, guys. I just wanted to ask, what is the purpose of the metal platforms and the indestructible metal cube in the military training camp in the Woodland area? Is that a korok seed puzzle? Thanks.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Hey my Wife is currently playing Breath of the Wild and has never played any other Zelda.

She asked me what Zelda games should she play next, but unfortunately I'm am NOT a Nintendo guy so I don't know.

My wife likes Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted games, God of War games, Tomb Raider games. she's completed bioshock infinite. I'm just listing things she has beat so it'll maybe be easier to guide us on from Breath of the Wild.

ANY SUGGESTIONS GUYS?

Link's Awakening is probably my second favorite Zelda game, might be interesting for her to try a 2D Zelda next.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
The map is huge. Do you have pictures of the area you are referring to?

It's in the area southwest of the korok forest/lost woods. The woodland tower is in the military training camp. The cube is in the swamp around the Woodland tower. It has a single electric lizalfos swimming in the swamp.

Here's a map I found in the web:

images

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Spent some quality time with this game again over the long weekend.

Will the piano chords during battle strikes ever not be pure magic?

So friggin gorgeous.

I forgot how annoying the Korok quests in the Lost Woods are. That stealth one is so annoying.

Last edited:

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
So I'm doing another playthrough....can't believe I'm still finding stuff and areas I never did before, this game is ridiculous.

Just randomly found a Korok with a little environmental puzzle featuring flowers.

The magic is back again...I'm totally obsessed.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should I start this game from the beginning again? I have no armor, I'm stuck with the clothes I started with since I woke up and I have no idea how to cook yet. I'm at the part whereupon meet Impa (just got the paraglider)

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

ANY SUGGESTIONS GUYS?
No Zelda game is on the same level as BotW. The closest game is probably Wind Waker though. I would recommend that. You get open world flavor plus a lot of the old formula (your items unlock access to new areas, theme park dungeons). Probably closes in looks to BotW too.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
Should I start this game from the beginning again? I have no armor, I'm stuck with the clothes I started with since I woke up and I have no idea how to cook yet. I'm at the part whereupon meet Impa (just got the paraglider)

You could, but you may just end up back where you care.

Actually, I don't see the problem with what you have said. Armor and clothes are the same thing, and you don't really get any yet. You mostly have to steal it or buy it--in fact, there is a shop in the village with Impa.

I almost never cooked. But it's all trial and error. Try cooking, if it turned out well, remember the recipe. Write it down or something.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I got this for Christmas, and I was curious about the DLC, mainly is it worth it, and when should I play it?

I've not started the game yet

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
Jimnymebob Both DLC are gated and can't be accesed outright.

Trial of the Sword is a combat trial which requires you to get the Master Sword first and that has it's own set of requirements. There are three trials, each progressively longer and more difficult. These are stricly combat focused with a twist - you can only use equipment you find during the trials and if you die you have to repeat that particular trial from the beginning. Might not be to your liking if you don't enjoy combat system that much. Meanwhile, Champions' Ballad can only be played after completing all Divine Beasts which are the major dungeons of the game. This makes this DLC pretty much the end game content. You get new shrines, couple of boss fights (unfortunately mostly repurposed from the base game) and some additional memories featuring the Champions. Buy it if you enjoyed the base game and want more.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the mood for watching a walkthrough of BotW. Anyone knows of a good one? What are your favs?

Jan 10, 2018
Just bought a Switch and this lovely game.

I'm wondering if it's recommended to use the Pro HUD setting? Or do I risk missing a lot of valuable information on screen? I like to play with minimal HUD, but only if the game is really built around it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought a Switch and this lovely game.

I'm wondering if it's recommended to use the Pro HUD setting? Or do I risk missing a lot of valuable information on screen? I like to play with minimal HUD, but only if the game is really built around it.

I played with the Pro HUD and really enjoyed it. I found it a lot more immersive.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok thx! But did you open up the map a lot as a result of not having a radar?
Not that I can recall. Only if I was looking for something very specific on the map that I couldn't locate. You can generally make your way around most places by scoping out your surroundings from high vantage points. It felt a lot more like an adventure that way. For me, anyway.

Jan 10, 2018
Not that I can recall. Only if I was looking for something very specific on the map that I couldn't locate. You can generally make your way around most places by scoping out your surroundings from high vantage points. It felt a lot more like an adventure that way. For me, anyway.

Ok, I think I'll go without the HUD then. Seems like the more enjoyable experience. :)

Jan 10, 2018
So I've played the game to Kakariko Village, which is not far. However, with all the health items you can get and the tactical ways you can defeat the enemies I find the game a bit too easy. I generelly like a challenge, especially in games with gear and item management.

So I'm wondering... how hard is the Master Mode exactly? Is it too much for a beginner even if the first hours are a bit too easy? Will the difficulty ramp up significantly as I progress in normal mode?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Quick question that I'd like a non-spoilery, yes or no answer to:
Do I actually need the pay the 600 rupees to the guy on the roof to buy his Gerudo costume?
It feels quite steep, so i'm not sure if it's a thing that's so expensive it's obvious I'm supposed to find another way (like that bit with Mimi on Super Paper Mario), or if I should come back later.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Quick question that I'd like a non-spoilery, yes or no answer to:
Do I actually need the pay the 600 rupees to the guy on the roof to buy his Gerudo costume?
It feels quite steep, so i'm not sure if it's a thing that's so expensive it's obvious I'm supposed to find another way (like that bit with Mimi on Super Paper Mario), or if I should come back later.

Yes you do.

Jan 10, 2018
Does anyone know what the design philosophy behind the durability system was? I'm not sure If I appreciate it as much as I perhaps should, but it has grown on me for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Probably to keep you exploring/moving. I don't mind it, though the landscaping being varied wasn't very fun to explore after 70+ hours. They should have lessened the stamina drain even if you can get more as climbing wasn't very rewarding after awhile - except to travel. That was a blast, better then that gimped horse lol

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
Does anyone know what the design philosophy behind the durability system was? I'm not sure If I appreciate it as much as I perhaps should, but it has grown on me for sure.

The two benefits of the system are that they force you to learn a variety of weapons rather than getting stuck in specific mindset. The other is that it prevents you from accidentally (or on purpose) getting one super overpowered weapon at the start and just stomping through the entire game. Because of the open nature of the game, that might make sense.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
http:///Maed.jpeghttp:///Paed.jpeg

First pic, Amazing vista, this game continues to amaze we despite being a Wii U game. It shows how important art direction is.
Second pic, just loved the grass ;).