• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Courtesy of Reddit u/TheFancytastic:

q3l6ic3ph1e21.jpg

I wanted to do this myself when I first saw the contour lines of the complete Hyrule map, but didn't have the capabilities. This warms my heart that it looks as good if not better than I imagined, but I want to see what it looks like on an even bigger scale to show even finer detail

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
http:///Maed.jpeghttp:///Paed.jpeg

First pic, Amazing vista, this game continues to amaze we despite being a Wii U game. It shows how important art direction is.
Second pic, just loved the grass ;).

Just imagine the eventual re-release running at a higher resolution with cranked-up LODs. It's going to scale up wonderfully.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Picked this back up after my son insisted and I'm having a better time than I did when it came out. The game still has some glaring flaws but they seem to have evened out now that I'm further along (3 Devine beasts and the master sword in hand) so I'm having more fun with it.

One thing I have to say is that traversal is still just fantastic compared to many open world games. And this world is definitely beautiful.

Any suggestions on the master sword trials. Getting really tired of the master sword needing a time out.

Last edited:

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I've spent the past month playing mostly Breath of the Wild. Pretty close to my arbitrary cut-off point, I think. I've cleared all 120 base game shrines, cheesed the Trial of the Sword, collected nearly all the armor in the game (Ancient alone is left, I think). All that's left are the 12 Champion shrines and Hyrule Castle, and for gear my cutoff point will be fully upgrading the classic Link 'of the Wild' set the game gives you for clearing all the shrines.

Trial of the Sword was... interesting. :)
I beat the Beginning trials quickly enough but was not particularly interested in grinding away at the remaining ones. So I did a quick search and found that you can skip to the end, and relatively easily too! Allot of design coincidences had to come together for it to work, but it does.

So first things first, you can leave the game map in BotW, and it's actually really easy. You grab a magnetic box, pull it close (but not flush) to a flat wall, hit the box with Stasis and then hit it with a weapon a bunch more times in the direction of the wall. Position yourself between the box and the wall while pushing up against the box and boom! The momentum tosses you threw the wall.

Once outside the map though, apparently all the rooms of the Trial are actually smaller chambers in one gigantic map separate from the rest of the game, except for the room at the very end where you claim your powered up master sword. Once you're outside, you just have to run to the boss room, clear that one, and step inside the ring to teleport you to the master sword room. But it's even easier than that: The game doesn't check that you've beaten the boss for that set of trials, only that you've beaten a boss room, meaning that you can just run over to the first Hinox room from the Beginning set and you're golden.

Getting back into the map is a little tricky - You need to raise an ice block almost pixel-perfectly by an edge of the Hinox room so that you can clip back in, but that's the hardest part about it because even with no/crap weapons the Hinox is easy. The game leaves a metal box for you in his chamber which you can use to stunlock him by repeatedly smashing it into his groin.
Is there a video for this? I gotta give it a shot.

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a video for this? I gotta give it a shot.

There are a bunch, but I've had the easiest time with magnetic boxes. Below is a video for the middle trials - You can attempt on the first stage. The final trials are a little more annoying because the first box appears a few floors in on a floor with lightning, but it's manageable (stamina might also be an issue on finals as there's a point OOB where you need to climb allot but maybe there's a way around). Get the box as close as you can to a flat wall while still allowing Link to fit between and push against the box once there.

There's also a shield hop alternative. Maybe I suck but it seems allot harder to me.

Edit: To be clear, this runs on the latest version unless Nintendo patched in the past couple months but I'm pretty sure they're done with changes at this point.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
There are a bunch, but I've had the easiest time with magnetic boxes. Below is a video for the middle trials - You can attempt on the first stage. The final trials are a little more annoying because the first box appears a few floors in on a floor with lightning, but it's manageable (stamina might also be an issue on finals as there's a point OOB where you need to climb allot but maybe there's a way around). Get the box as close as you can to a flat wall while still allowing Link to fit between and push against the box once there.

There's also a shield hop alternative. Maybe I suck but it seems allot harder to me.

Edit: To be clear, this runs on the latest version unless Nintendo patched in the past couple months but I'm pretty sure they're done with changes at this point.

I haven't even touched the trials yet so this is interesting. It sounds like I need to clear the beginning trials and then do the glitch on the middle trial? So just do the beginning middle trial and do what's in the video and it will power up the master sword?

What was the guy trying to do with freezing the block into that wall? I had to play it without sound so I didn't get what he was trying to do. Was it just to trigger the boss?

*Edit* I only have 2 stamina wheels. Will that be enough? I also have like half the heart containers that the guy in the video had.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't even touched the trials yet so this is interesting. It sounds like I need to clear the beginning trials and then do the glitch on the middle trial? So just do the beginning middle trial and do what's in the video and it will power up the master sword?

What was the guy trying to do with freezing the block into that wall? I had to play it without sound so I didn't get what he was trying to do. Was it just to trigger the boss?

*Edit* I only have 2 stamina wheels. Will that be enough? I also have like half the heart containers that the guy in the video had.

Not even the beginning trials, strictly speaking. But the shield hop OOB glitch is way harder imo. Clearing the beginning trials legit is easier.

The ice block is for getting back in-bounds. You need to place it just right relative to the stage geometry such that when Link's on top he can run into a corner of the stage boundary and clip back in. It's fairly precise. First time I was at it for a half hour I think. Still way easier than the actual trials though and there's no penalty for failing (unless you stupidly drown somehow).

Also, be careful with the box you find in the lake by the island with the Hinox. The game very nicely gives you one to use against him, and you can 100-death the guy, but you can (and it has) break it if you're not careful, leaving you totally unarmed except for bombs to fight him. You can win, but it's scary af especially after performing the rest of the skip. I broke the box both times. I never died but I was sweating hard.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Not even the beginning trials, strictly speaking. But the shield hop OOB glitch is way harder imo. Clearing the beginning trials legit is easier.

The ice block is for getting back in-bounds. You need to place it just right relative to the stage geometry such that when Link's on top he can run into a corner of the stage boundary and clip back in. It's fairly precise. First time I was at it for a half hour I think. Still way easier than the actual trials though and there's no penalty for failing (unless you stupidly drown somehow).

Also, be careful with the box you find in the lake by the island with the Hinox. The game very nicely gives you one to use against him, and you can 100-death the guy, but you can (and it has) break it if you're not careful, leaving you totally unarmed except for bombs to fight him. You can win, but it's scary af especially after performing the rest of the skip. I broke the box both times. I never died but I was sweating hard.
Man I've been trying the trick from the first room and I just can't fucking do it. I guess I'll clear until the mid trials and do it that way.

How long did it take you to glitch through the wall?

*edit* I was able to glitch through the wall on the middle trial first time but I still fall to my death. Link won't deploy the glider. Did this happen to you?

*edit again* Got the glider out. Now I'm trying to glitch in with the ice. Took about an hour. Couldn't do it. I'll try again tomorrow. If you got any tips for how to line it up I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
Courtesy of Reddit u/TheFancytastic:

q3l6ic3ph1e21.jpg

I wanted to do this myself when I first saw the contour lines of the complete Hyrule map, but didn't have the capabilities. This warms my heart that it looks as good if not better than I imagined, but I want to see what it looks like on an even bigger scale to show even finer detail

Love it!
I guess it's already been posted but for those who haven't seen it, Link's sculpture (Botw version) of a professional is breathtaking:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Just remembered a complaint of mine.

I really dislike the fog they insist in putting in the game so much, particularly in the snow areas. It just looks bad. It makes the area around you ugly looking and kills the draw distance.

Why is it so aggressive? I don't find it immersive in any way.

Sometimes it looks okay when it's not super thick, but when it is I just wish it was gone every time. The game looks so much better without it.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Just remembered a complaint of mine.

I really dislike the fog they insist in putting in the game so much, particularly in the snow areas. It just looks bad. It makes the area around you ugly looking and kills the draw distance.

Why is it so aggressive? I don't find it immersive in any way.

Sometimes it looks okay when it's not super thick, but when it is I just wish it was gone every time. The game looks so much better without it.

It's there for the volumetric lighting. In the real world, no atmospheric particulate matter = no volumetric lighting. Of course, when there aren't any light shafts visible, you're left with just a hazy atmosphere, and that can indeed look pretty bad at times.

Escapist

Oct 29, 2017
I am super late, but I got this game last week. I heard it was very good but have not really followed the hype or watched much gameplay.

All I got to say is WOW! I was very skeptical of a Nintendo open world game. I was worried they would fall into all the same tropes of the genre that I hate, but nope, they nailed it. I think what makes the biggest difference is being able to climb everywhere. It was a little overwhelming at first because they threw pretty much all the standard Zelda conventions out the window, but the world just feels so lonely and mysterious to explore. I dont know if they intended it, but it feels so much like it was made in the spirit of the very first game.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So Im playing this for the first time and just getting my ass kicked. Any tips?

Im right at the beginning.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
So Im playing this for the first time and just getting my ass kicked. Any tips?

Im right at the beginning.

Don't play on the (poorly implemented for most part) master mode.

If you're not, still you can skip combat (unless boss/shrine). Work on getting seeds to increase weapon/shield/bow (in any order you see fit usually start with weapon though). If using not MM, remember the environment can be useful for combat.

Hackworth

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, does NZ DLC work with a UK Switch copy of this game? I've heard it should but also I know Splatoon's DLC is region locked

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Era,

I want to be done with this game. I enjoy it, but I've put it down for long stretches and I don't really know what's going on anymore. I just went ahead and finished up the Divine Beasts so taking out Ganon is the only thing I've really got left to do. I've done probably 90% of the shrines, did all of the photograph memory things, and a lot (but not nearly all- this is important) side quests.

My question to you all-- What side quests would you recommend someone definitely not skip before putting this game aside to very likely never play ever again? Is there any really good content that is miss-able? I have that one island in the southeast corner of the map on my to-do list and those dragon things are flying around all over the place that I need to investigate more.

Help me!

Thanks

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Era,

I want to be done with this game. I enjoy it, but I've put it down for long stretches and I don't really know what's going on anymore. I just went ahead and finished up the Divine Beasts so taking out Ganon is the only thing I've really got left to do. I've done probably 90% of the shrines, did all of the photograph memory things, and a lot (but not nearly all- this is important) side quests.

My question to you all-- What side quests would you recommend someone definitely not skip before putting this game aside to very likely never play ever again? Is there any really good content that is miss-able? I have that one island in the southeast corner of the map on my to-do list and those dragon things are flying around all over the place that I need to investigate more.

Help me!

Thanks

There is a big quest line that starts with the "hylian homeowner" quest in Hateno. That one is a must

Also, personally one of the most fun things to do was a no divine beasts run. The final boss battle is a bit different from the one you get if you beat all 4 beasts

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to avoid VR like the plague but the idea of replaying BotW in VR is seriously tempting. Edit: to clarify, I love the idea of VR and a future where we "jack into the Matrix" for ultimate immersion, but current tech makes me sick.

Last edited:

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
There is a big quest line that starts with the "hylian homeowner" quest in Hateno. That one is a must

Also, personally one of the most fun things to do was a no divine beasts run. The final boss battle is a bit different from the one you get if you beat all 4 beasts

Thanks. Had a friend tell me to do that one too, so I definitely plan on getting to that.

Regarding the no divine beasts run-- I'll have to pass. I'm ready to be done with this game and something that makes it more challenging is not what will keep me going with it. While I like the game a great deal, I am really bad at the combat, and don't find it very enjoyable.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Been really getting back into this in recent weeks. Yet to even face a Divine Beast, as i planned to get the Master Sword and face them with the Legendary blade in-hand. Have acquired it, and working my way through some of the Shrines i've uncovered along the way (i've decided to walk/take a horse to really get a feel for Hyrule).

Have got a tier 2 Rito armor set and the Gerudo set so i can explore warm/cold areas with ease. I do need to get the Goron armor at some point though, so i can start exploring Death Mountain.

Edit: Now i'm running around Death Mountain for Fireproof Lizards, using the Sheikah slate upgrade is helping a lot.

Last edited:

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
So, my brother came to see me yesterday, he was asking me about BoTW and how the game was so I gave him answers based of what I knew. He leave then come back 15 mins later and he's like "You know I like you right, brother?" so i'm like "yeah, obviously...?" he then threw a copy of BoTW at me, I let out an audible "WHAT".

I didn't plan on getting it anytime soon but here we are, this is one of those Zelda games where I've always been 50/50 about due to some decisions regarding a lot of mechanics and how the game is in general but I needed to try it for myself. So far, I'm enjoying it, did the tutorial and made my way to Kakariko Village before I stopped. Curious about seeing more later today.

EDIT: I wish the game had a fishing rod!

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
So, my brother came to see me yesterday, he was asking me about BoTW and how the game was so I gave him answers based of what I knew. He leave then come back 15 mins later and he's like "You know I like you right, brother?" so i'm like "yeah, obviously...?" he then threw a copy of BoTW at me, I let out an audible "WHAT".

I didn't plan on getting it anytime soon but here we are, this is one of those Zelda games where I've always been 50/50 about due to some decisions regarding a lot of mechanics and how the game is in general but I needed to try it for myself. So far, I'm enjoying it, did the tutorial and made my way to Kakariko Village before I stopped. Curious about seeing more later today.

EDIT: I wish the game had a fishing rod!
Awww that's generous of your brother to do, he sounds like a swell sibling. Yes, the fishing rod is a sorely missed feature in the game, I can tell they spent a lot of time getting the engine made and physics "just right" that they didn't have much time left for creating content. I'm sure they are brimming with ideas for where the sequel could go and add from past games, here's hoping the fishing rod and boats make it in.
Also does anyone know an easy way to get through the Master Sword Trials? I tried on four separate occasions and can't get through the first trial because of being burnt out on the game after 100% completion. I either give up by the 10th trial or die to the Lizalfos toward the end. I only have the DLC to do but I feel it would be more appropriate to have mastered the Master Sword before going after the fifth divine beast.

Last edited:

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cooking takes so fucking long. It takes me like a half hour to cook the shit I've gathered

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
The cooking animation is nice and all, but it does get a little annoying after a while. IIRC you can skip it, but still, selecting ingredients, putting them in the pot, (skippable?) animation then window pop-up... The process could be shortened.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Re-playing this after the E3 sequel hype got me.

It's still the GOAT. I am still floored by every aspect of the game design. I've dropped all the other games I am playing just to play this again.

Just had to gush for a sec. Carry on.

Dec 25, 2018
Was going to ask this in one of the recent Switch threads but figured it might be better to ask here.
How is the WiiU version of BOTW? Despite having owned a WiiU for years (its still plugged in next to the X1) and pretty much playing through a good few Zelda games for the first time on the console, I never got BOTW, thinking at some point id get it with a switch, fast forward a few years and I'm a bit unsure if/when I would get the Switch. interest in the game has risen with the recent announcement of BOTW2, I still want to check the game out and was wondering if the WiiU version is worth playing?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Was going to ask this in one of the recent Switch threads but figured it might be better to ask here.
How is the WiiU version of BOTW? Despite having owned a WiiU for years (its still plugged in next to the X1) and pretty much playing through a good few Zelda games for the first time on the console, I never got BOTW, thinking at some point id get it with a switch, fast forward a few years and I'm a bit unsure if/when I would get the Switch. interest in the game has risen with the recent announcement of BOTW2, I still want to check the game out and was wondering if the WiiU version is worth playing?

It's a noticeable downgrade if you've played both versions but is entirely serviceable and plays well on the WiiU.

I played it originally for about ten hours on that console and had I not got a Switch soon after, would have been content with the WiiU version.

It's a particularly inferior version when played handheld as the WiiU controller/screen feels like a Hasbro kiddie toy compared to the Switch.

WiiU is a perfectly acceptable way to play the game especially if it's your first time and you've not played it on the Switch.

If it were me, I'd play it on the Wii U and pick up a "Switch Pro" when it's released.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
The Wii U version is ok other than loading times. The game looks like shit on the game pad, but on the screen it's ok at 720. The only real issue comes with the game pad for motion puzzles. And the big issue is that the Wii U pro controller doesn't feature gyro. So you can't use it instead of the game pad.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
It took two playthrough attempts and 130+ combined hours, but I finally beat this game. Got the true ending, did all shrines, and completed The Champions' Ballad.

I'm content with the 38 Korok seeds I found.

Definitely enjoyed it much more the second time around.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
It took two playthrough attempts and 130+ combined hours, but I finally beat this game. Got the true ending, did all shrines, and completed The Champions' Ballad.

I'm content with the 38 Korok seeds I found.

Definitely enjoyed it much more the second time around.

It's great you stuck with it and ended up finishing! I've probably put two hundred hours in and still haven't beat Ganon.

That being said, after 130 hours, how the hell did you only find 38 seeds?! They're everywhere! It seems like finishing with only 38 would be harder than finishing with a few hundred! Crazy.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
It's great you stuck with it and ended up finishing! I've probably put two hundred hours in and still haven't beat Ganon.

That being said, after 130 hours, how the hell did you only find 38 seeds?! They're everywhere! It seems like finishing with only 38 would be harder than finishing with a few hundred! Crazy.

130 hours is for two separate playthroughs. I played for about 60 hours two years ago before I lost interest. I had ~160 seeds in that original save.

I recently restarted the game, and that accounts for the other 70 hours. I was able to progress much faster this time simply because I was already familiar with the world. Ancient horse barding certainly helped, too. I hated the Korok hunt the first time around, so I didn't bother.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Era,

Help me!

Thanks

Bit Late but I would make sure you do all of the Shrines that Kass is at. After you do those he is in the Rito village and has a really neat scene.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I take it you don't have a Switch? It's still just as great a game on Wii U, performance is just a bit worse. I hope you enjoy it!
Thanx. No i don't have a Switch (yet). Just started it and played for an hour. It doesn't look pretty imo (blurry and jaggy) but i like the gameplay-mechanics.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, so chewing through this DLC and I'm on the final trials for the Master Sword. Please tell me the fight against the Lynel and a bunch of Bokoblins isn't the last one, because I died right before killing the Lynel :/. This last trial is annoying af with all the Guardians.

Thanx. No i don't have a Switch (yet). Just started it and played for an hour. It doesn't look pretty imo (blurry and jaggy) but i like the gameplay-mechanics.

I say this as someone that played Horizon initially right before this in all its graphic goodness, you do get adjusted to the graphics and the art style of Breath of the Wild really helps with its look. I'm playing on a 4K TV so it's being upresed and I think it's fine.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So in the span of a week I finished Champion's Ballad, and completed all the Shrines. I feel empty inside.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I came here to complain about being unable to turn off subtitles.

You know what that means... this game is a piece of shit.

1 out of 10 trash

Don't @ me

I'll see y'all in around 200 hours after I finish my journey in Hyrule and to give my thoughts and theories I may have of Breath of the Wild 2.

I got this at launch with the Switch but lost the cartridge so I just picked it up again today. I seriously don't remember being unable to turn off the subtitles.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought I remember them saying a long time ago that this Zelda is not related to the main Zelda time line in any way?

Well I've been readying up on a lot of lore stuff and shit lately, and one of the most interesting aspects of BotW is that a lot of it's landmarks seem to be directly related to previous Zeldas. Also, people seem to think it takes place last or something in the timeline? After Twilight Princess and all that?

So what's the deal?