• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I bought this alongside my Switch about a year ago, invested around 35 hours and dropped it for whatever reason.

Looks like I'm back to it. Played it for an hour yesterday and I'm 100% in. The world is just amazing to explore.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Just started this game yesterday and holy shit this is going to be the game of the forever for me. Feels like I can spend an eternity only on the Great Plateau lol. I havent done any story at all, only running around fighting goboblins and picking up useless stuff. What a game!

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just started this game yesterday and holy shit this is going to be the game of the forever for me. Feels like I can spend an eternity only on the Great Plateau lol. I havent done any story at all, only running around fighting goboblins and picking up useless stuff. What a game!
That's exactly what I'm doing right now after my one year break. I thought about continuing one of my quests, but then I decided to turn off the quest marker and run around exploring the parts of the world I haven't been to yet. Good decision.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what I'm doing right now after my one year break. I thought about continuing one of my quests, but then I decided to turn off the quest marker and run around exploring the parts of the world I haven't been to yet. Good decision.

The best decision! I am so pumped to continue this in about an hour!

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Og finally got of the plateau after enjoying my time there for a few evenings. Went east as I was told, and was greeted by another incredible area lol. Have throughtly explored the western part untill the Dueling Peaks including a bit of the mountain area. Loved the golf minigame/idea in the mountains! 6 Shrines so far....this game is indeed going to take me a year now, isnt it?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Og finally got of the plateau after enjoying my time there for a few evenings. Went east as I was told, and was greeted by another incredible area lol. Have throughtly explored the western part untill the Dueling Peaks including a bit of the mountain area. Loved the golf minigame/idea in the mountains! 6 Shrines so far....this game is indeed going to take me a year now, isnt it?

I've been playing since it came out.

Granted, I've revisited areas time and time again just for fun and I'm on my second game, but the point still stands!

Still have basically all the DLC to do, I'm like 4 shrines away from having them all, and still have tons of Koroks to find!

This game doesn't get old for me.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
(No spoilers)

120 shrines. The reward. Some of the music in this game...

Oh does BOTW ever have music that is depressing but beautiful.

Hyrule Castle, Shrine music, and others.

It's the kind of depressing tone I love and hate so much at the same time. So good, but so damn depressing.

Music gets me every time. That Irish sound.

This isn't as depressing.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
(No spoilers)

120 shrines. The reward. Some of the music in this game...

Doing all shrines is one of my goals that'll keep me playing for many more hours.

The music and sounds are superb in this game.

That's the Ancient Outfit in those Twitter videos, right? I'm going to purchase that today. What are the bonuses for that? Base + Level 2 Upgrade?

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Played a bit yesterday, and finally came to Kakariko village. I have now explored all of the first two areas in the game more or less, and am ready to go to Hateno Village and explore my third area.

There are quite a few things on the overworld i find illogical though. First of all, the space between people and enemies, i would have liked it if there were clearer borders between safe areas and unsafe areas. For instance, on the road from Kakariko to the Great Plateau there wanders quite a few unarmed merchants and other people - but there are also tons of monsters here. This kinda breaks immersion. Especially closer to the Plateau. Another thing with this road, is that it seemingly doesnt go anywhere. Why would anyone take the road to the Plateau anyways, when there is nothing there except ruins and monsters? I feel like this part of the game, the thoughts that went into why people do what they do, live where they live and travel where they do, is a bit weak in the game overall. I guess its normal for a game like this, but still would have been cool if more thoughts were put into it.

On that same note, I would have liked there to be city walls around the towns, and guards watching over them to avoid intruders. Just outside Kakariko, for instance, there are huge and deadly Guardians patrolling around, so it doesnt really make sense that the town is undefended.

Another nitpick (I know this stuff is nitpicky) is how the water flows. For instance in Lake Siela (between the stable and Kakariko), it is labeled as a lake, but most of it is actually a river flowing from the mountains in the north-east. Then all of a sudden a bit after the bridge, the water just stops flowing. It would make much more sense if the water continued downwards towards Nabi Lake and via the rivers, finally to Lake Hylia.

When it comes to the gameplay, I find it absolutely fantastic. The controls are good, the puzzles are fantastic, the secrets in the areas are fun to explore and the combat is good. I would have preferred the gameplay to be a bit more challenging though, as in the start i would avoid the enemy encampments because i thought it would be hard to just rush into it and fight them all, but this seems to work way too good imo. Guess I am too used to Dark Souls. Talking about Dark Souls, I absolutely do not understand why I cant change the controls. Would have loved to be able to make the imput more like Dark Souls, since I am now very used to that.

Two other minor gripes, first with the recipes/cooking. Why is there no register in the menus of at least the stuff you have made? Maybe I just havent found it? The cooking/potion-making stuff is also way to time-consuming imo, and Im probably going to try to beat the game more or less without using this. I also very much miss being able to have items on a hot key, again, like in Dark Souls. Hate to go into a menu to eat to regain health.

And about regaining health, this is maybe my major gripe. There is just no penalty whatsover for dying, so why would i even care to use potions? Im sure this is different in the middle of a dungeon when having to redo stuff, but if i die in the field from falling or whatever, i just start anew just where i started, and some enemies (like the guardians) do not even get their health back. So yeah, i would have preferred if you could only save in villages/bonfires or something like that, meaning death would come with a little penalty, and making exploring more of a survivalist experience.

But of course, I am still really early in the game, so who knows. Absolutely love it despite my comments here though, and feel like I am going to play it for a long, long time. Probably months, and maybe even years.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I wonder if the Shrine music is meant to sound Irish because Link's classic tunic is green?

The music sounds like Link took too long to return :(

As someone who's dealt with depression his whole life, this track always manages to get me. The sound is just so sad.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing on and off for another week, and have now fully explored the Hateno village region (eastern Necluda) including the mountains to the north. Got two memories so far.

I have now managed to kill the Stone Talus melee, and the Hinox, but I kinda dislike that they respawn, makes it feel less important to kill them off for some reason I guess. Died by the centaur in Lanayru thought, but killed the dragon boss.

I somehow remember some birds sitting in a hot spring, but I feel like i must have dreamt it?

Anyways, went on south of the Hylia Bridge for my next major region, and got surprised by a dragon traversering the river - is this the one i freed in Lanayro?

Felt right to go there since the roads seems decent down in Hylia. No idea why they decided to build that great bridge over what is just a pretty small lake though, when its so easy to just walk around it, but I guess the old Hyrule treasury was stuffed with rupees for useless infrastructure projects.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
One Divine Beast left. It's the one on Death Mountain. I'm at 75+ hours of playtime right now. I'll easily surpass 100 with this game.

+I've got all the Expansion stuff left to do...

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Been watching vinesauce's playthrough of the game and I did not know you could get knight horse armor. Went to my 250 hour playthrough and discovered the archery mini-game and got it. Still crazy how I found something in the game despite thinking I did everything there is to do.

Ganryu

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, bought the game (with expansions) and will start soon... Its my first Zelda game, any tips or just explore the world?

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
- 280 hours or more
- One and a half years
- Master Mode
- 120 Shrines. Done
- Trial of the Sword. Done
- Champions' Ballad. Done
- Hyrule Castle Exterior. Liberated of all filth.

All that's left is to walk inside the Sanctum. Goddamn, I don't want to do it! So many feelings right now. What an incredible ride it has been.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Well... the final boss was everything I thought it would be, given the fact that I'm years late to the party. The game has its flaws, and the grand finale truly is another one of them. It's not all bad, but that's a clear misfire at the very end. It's strange that a Zelda game that set out to leave its own footprint, and achieved it, and cast away so many tropes/gimmicks/expectations, would resort to an old Zelda thing for its send off. After countless hours of gameplay and an extended playthrough, that's not good enough. What makes the last phase really sting is just how much better it could have been. Literally, a lot of "room" for improvement. Oh well.

Visually, it was badass. I'll give them that. As for the actual ending, well, I have the benefit of living in a post-BotW 2 announcement world. So, no comment lmao.

I knew this after 100 hours and it's still true after nearly tripling that time - this is one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had. From climbing to the top of Death Mountain, to shield surfing down Hebra Mountain. From rushing through the Trial of the Sword as effectively and viciously as possible, to listening to Kass play his accordion as I watched the sun set. It was all so beautiful. A true masterpiece! BotW comfortably rests somewhere in my top 10, and if it wasn't for nostalgia, could overtake something in my top 5. I feel slightly depressed now that it's all over, but the sequel is on the way! BotW 2 has a lot to live up to, and it won't be forgiven if it fails to address BotW's shortcomings. Godspeed BotW 2!

HTF beat the Blights on MM?

They're not so bad. Some slow mo arrows + perfect dodge/parry for the first phase, then Urbosa's Fury x 3 for the second phase. You can also eat food right before the fight and the buff carries over.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Urbosa's Fury x 3 for the second phase

Ahhhhhh. I don't even have that one enabled.

I intended to beat it without that...

You can also eat food right before the fight and the buff carries over.

I didn't even think of that! Kind of a cheat too lol...

Oh well. I'll cheat away if I can't beat it normally after a few tries. I don't have time for that. I already put hundreds of hours into the damn game.

Thanks!

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
K fuck the Blight Ganon fights for Champion's Ballad on Master Mode.

This difficulty is just stupid. What are they thinking?

I'm not impressed.

Edit: forgot about turning on urbosa's fury but that feels like cheating :/

Last edited:

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Memory spoilers
Is Hylia unable to tell the king that he's pushing his daughter too hard on religion and that that's not the real way to unlock her powers? So she can talk to Link but not someone misusing her religion?

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I played the DLC back when it came out but never got around the sword trials, so I'm doing them now. Do you have any tips for the second and third segments?

Well... the final boss was everything I thought it would be, given the fact that I'm years late to the party. The game has its flaws, and the grand finale truly is another one of them. It's not all bad, but that's a clear misfire at the very end. It's strange that a Zelda game that set out to leave its own footprint, and achieved it, and cast away so many tropes/gimmicks/expectations, would resort to an old Zelda thing for its send off. After countless hours of gameplay and an extended playthrough, that's not good enough. What makes the last phase really sting is just how much better it could have been. Literally, a lot of "room" for improvement. Oh well.

Visually, it was badass. I'll give them that. As for the actual ending, well, I have the benefit of living in a post-BotW 2 announcement world. So, no comment lmao.
The last portion just reminded me too much of the other games, even if you were the one using the bow this time. I wish they had made more possible outcomes during the battle regarding how many champions you rescued, or even bring the new generation into the fight. The whole thing felt very recluded to the three triforce holders. And you even you get less interaction with Zelda than in TP, WW or ST, when the whole game teases her relation to Link.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I guess the DLC Blight Ganons are pretty easy once you turn Urbosa's Fury back on but I feel like it's cheating. Plus I did the high attack power little cheat as well, the thing where you eat before heading into the boss fight. Wish I didn't have to do it this way. I beat Water and Thunder so far. I can now do Fire and then have to do all 3 challenges to get to Wind.

I still have to do the Trial of the Sword DLC as well - another thing made much much harder thanks to Master Mode.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I played the DLC back when it came out but never got around the sword trials, so I'm doing them now. Do you have any tips for the second and third segments?
Eat a 30 minute 3x armor meal before starting. Also whenever you get a hearty something cook it alone. Avoid cooking dishes which give you any bonuses other than armor. In the third part, save your armored fish to go with ironshrooms because your armor bonus will run out before the end of the 23 levels.

In the third part you'll get ancient arrows. Save them for things that really need them like Lynels and full blown guardians.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Been playing this game. As a long time Zelda can...I like it but it hasn't grabbed me. I vastly prefer Mario Odyssey to it. Right now it just feels like a massive grind. I really loved the game when just stepping out on the Steppe. I was sold in the intro area. Ever since it has been pretty...okay-ish. I find myself constantly hitting brick walls. There's nothing to do. I do a quest for a lady in Hateno requesting me to kill the monsters stealing her sheep. I find it and they all basically one shot me (4 hearts). I see there's two shrines at the beach. I try them. They're Tests of Strength shrines and the guardians one shot me.

It feels that for all of the "you can do anything" I'm currently rail roaded to only the plot (got update Sheikah slate from Praya and have to go to Impa now) or by beginner areas.

It's a good game but it's not clicking in some bits. What sucks is there's a lot to appreciate in it. There's a lot of neat NPCs and storylines, I love how organic the storyline and storytelling is, the "can do" sandbox gameplay of doing things on your own terms, the creative puzzle solving. I like a lot. But I don't know what to do besides follow the plot and get gear. I don't know if I'm going through the story too fast or not.

I love the adventure and exploration. It's hard to explain why I think it's a great game and yet something isn't clicking with it which is a frustrating feeling to have because I thought the Steppe was stupendous and yet nothing has topped that yet. I guess I could go searching for Link's memories for now.

But it's disappointing it's not grabbing me. I beat Mario Odyssey's story and gnabbed 250 power moons in two days. That game is crack. But BOTW isn't clicking like that for me.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
I could really use some advice.

Like I love how the game makes resources important. Rupees are such a thrill now. At the same time, my resources are so limited I can't even afford armor. I have diamond and other stuff but don't want to sell them because I'm paranoid they'll be needed for crafting.

The result makes it feel like a slog.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I could really use some advice.

Like I love how the game makes resources important. Rupees are such a thrill now. At the same time, my resources are so limited I can't even afford armor. I have diamond and other stuff but don't want to sell them because I'm paranoid they'll be needed for crafting.

The result makes it feel like a slog.

Just sell them, they're meant for that purpose in the early game. You'll eventually find them in abundance. Upgrading armor uses monster / animal parts, from what I recall, and not a lot of gems.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
I love a lot about this games world. The NPCs are so full of personality. Hateno's clothing shop attendant hides behind the door for instance. Every character has so much personality and something unique about them. Given the scope of the game, that's nothing short of extraordinary.

edit: Wow. The entire Shrine of Wisdom bit was fantastic.

Last edited:

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds

Two things I learned:

One, you can take out a lynel's fireball with an ice arrow.

Two, you can beat a golden lynel with nothing but a SNES controller.

I don't think I'm ever going to be able to destroy a lynel as hard as Peco does.

Last edited:

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
I still havent killed a single Lynel, and i have only three and an half territory left to explore....

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I finally got the Bike. End of an era.

Now I just have trial of the sword, bestiary, side quests, and koroks to do.

Otherwise I've done all major content in BOTW after 2 years and across 2 games.

I kinda wanna 100% the game, so I'll keep playing, but I'm ready for BOTW2 now.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Just completed the first Divine Beast, about to activate the main controls and get the "if you do this you will be unable to revisit the interior of the Divine Beast." Is there any reason I would want to do that and hold off on activating it?

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Just completed the first Divine Beast, about to activate the main controls and get the "if you do this you will be unable to revisit the interior of the Divine Beast." Is there any reason I would want to do that and hold off on activating it?

Probably just in case you havent found all the treasure chests inside, but none of them are essensial for anything really.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
So I finally got this game (Wii U version). Got off the plateau, headed east, slowly meandering my way over to Kakariko.

Anyway, just wondering if I should buy the DLC early on or if it can wait till later in the game? Isn't a lot of it postgame stuff and hard mode?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
So I finally got this game (Wii U version). Got off the plateau, headed east, slowly meandering my way over to Kakariko.

Anyway, just wondering if I should buy the DLC early on or if it can wait till later in the game? Isn't a lot of it postgame stuff and hard mode?

If you plan on getting it just do it now. There are chests with item and armor in them added to the game, and they're all great to use. Places that were previously empty with no context now have those special chests. And it's great fun tracking them down too. Very rewarding. Nice challenge. The stuff you get is pretty useful too. Nice QOL stuff.

There is also the added difficulty which I find makes the game better for the most part. It's a separate save file though.

One of added quests is mid-game stuff (depending on your own progress of course), while the second definitely leans towards the later part of the game.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Posted this in the Champion's ballad OT first without realizing this was the more recently active thread. Might as well post here too.

Several years late but I finally did it. All shrines, all Korok seeds. I want to say the Korok seeds were worth it, but they weren't. I don't know why I did it.

risI2r9.jpg

So excited for BotW 2 though.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats! I have all shrines now, but only about half the Koroks, and not going to go for them all lol. Still need to kill Ganon though, then Im probably done. Awesome game!