• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
nobody has posted the most obvious theory.

Long red hair:

n96G4QO.jpg

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
and what if all the dungeons are underground this time? They could be themed and still be in the ideia of "open-air".

I still think that they will hide every one of them to make us explore, at the same time they will change the layout of the overall terrain to remain interesting. If this "arm" thing is true, idk how they will handle progression (give everything since the start like BOTW? Make upgrade based?). Also, i dont expect the return of shrines (you can see that there are none when they show the map in the trailer, also no towers)

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the idea is that when Zelda sealed Calamity Ganon at the end of BotW, she was actually sealing away a manifestation of his power, which restores peace for a time, like it has in generations past. But the reason Ganon keeps coming back is because it's like cutting a weed but not uprooting it or killing it at the root.

The "root" is Ganondorf's corpse in the catacombs deep under Hyrule Castle. Maybe the Royal Family didn't even know it was there — maybe it was a detail lost to time. But as long as that corpse is there, the malice keeps coming back, threatening to grow into another Calamity Ganon. So maybe Zelda figured this out and took Link down into the depths to find the corpse and destroy it.

It would be neat if this Zelda is the Zelda that actually attempts to break the never-ending cycle of Ganon's reincarnation.

Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My take on the trailer after watching it like 50 times is that the magic seal created by the Sheikah monks over ganondorfs body couldn't handle the hate and the ancient power ended up in Link's arm (maybe in Zeldas too)

If you guys let me go any further the Sheikah seal behaves like a parasit and after the calamity was destroyed it needed another living thing to survive hence it takes posesion of links arm while zombiedorf gets free

Nov 3, 2017
There's something about the song that plays at the beginning. It sounds... backwards.
Replaying it backwards is also weird. Sounds a bit like the music from the BOTW trailer from E3 2016, but maybe someone else can chime in.

Hinting at time travel maybe? The entity that is trying to revive Calamity Ganon forces him and our duo back in time to before he was defeated. Maybe that would a good story explanation that allows them to reuse the world.

My take on the trailer after watching it like 50 times is that the magic seal created by the Sheikah monks over ganondorfs body couldn't handle the hate and the ancient power ended up in Link's arm (maybe in Zeldas too)

If you guys let me go any further the Sheikah seal behaves like a parasit and after the calamity was destroyed it needed another living thing to survive hence it takes posesion of links arm while zombiedorf gets free

I like your theory a lot! That could be a good reason to separate Link from his Master Sword until he weakens or removes the seal!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there's a high chance this will be next year's holiday title. I think some are underestimating how much progress they've made having worked on this since BotW.

They don't need to reinvent the wheel — much of BotW's dev time was figuring out how an open-air Zelda would work, the physics engine, material logic, etc. They invented a new language, so to speak. And to continue the analogy, they're now fluent in speaking it. I think that much like how MM was a quick turnaround from OoT, so too will this sequel be a quick turnaround from BotW.

Plus, I think they're just feeling inspired these days. I highly recommend buying the "Making of a Champion" hardcover art book. It's the most impressive art book I've seen and the team's enthusiasm for BotW is clear to see. I'm sure they have both plenty of ideas, and the drive to quickly realize them.

Now imagine if a Super Mario Odyssey 2 is announced and released the same year, much like 2017 where it was shown in January and came out in October.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
Noooo

He says "I wanted to reuse this world" in this article

www.gameinformer.com

Breath Of The Wild's Director Is Returning For The Sequel

We try to learn everything we can about Breath of the Wild's newly announced sequel.

It may be close-minded of me to say but I'm worried that this quote indeed means that they are reusing the world of BOTW.

Won't this make the game all too familiar to a game which had such a large focus on exploration?

I guess I'll just have to wait and see before I start judging that kind of decision (If that is indeed what he means).

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
There's something about the song that plays at the beginning. It sounds... backwards.
Replaying it backwards is also weird. Sounds a bit like the music from the BOTW trailer from E3 2016, but maybe someone else can chime in.
Pretty sure it's just Fi singing.

We already got confirmation that Fi is a part of the BotW timeline from the Master Sword sequence in the main game.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It may be close-minded of me to say but I'm worried that this quote indeed means that they are reusing the world of BOTW.

Won't this make the game all too familiar to a game which had such a large focus on exploration?

I guess I'll just have to wait and see before I start judging that kind of decision (If that is indeed what he means).

It's the most fully realized Hyrule ever created, it makes sense for them to want to 'revisit' it. I don't think that means it they are literally using the same map (again - reminds me of people jumping to conclusions from the first botw trailer that there were no towns). I anticipate a Hyrule in the process of rebuilding and a entirely new 'underworld'.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't read too much about BotW 2 since I still haven't finished the first game but I really hope that we can finally play as Zelda in 2. Her design in Breath of the Wild is SO good.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me who feels disappointed when they see that world again? The dark environment in the trailer looks so so so so so so so good and then we see that bright and colourful world and it's just like, no! Please go back to what we were just looking at.

I really hope we get a ton of dark interior environments because if this trailer shows anything it's that this artstyle mixed with dark location's is incredible.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there's a high chance this will be next year's holiday title. I think some are underestimating how much progress they've made having worked on this since BotW.

They don't need to reinvent the wheel — much of BotW's dev time was figuring out how an open-air Zelda would work, the physics engine, material logic, etc. They invented a new language, so to speak. And to continue the analogy, they're now fluent in speaking it. I think that much like how MM was a quick turnaround from OoT, so too will this sequel be a quick turnaround from BotW.

Plus, I think they're just feeling inspired these days. I highly recommend buying the "Making of a Champion" hardcover art book. It's the most impressive art book I've seen and the team's enthusiasm for BotW is clear to see. I'm sure they have both plenty of ideas, and the drive to quickly realize them.

Now imagine if a Super Mario Odyssey 2 is announced and released the same year, much like 2017 where it was shown in January and came out in October.

For sure. As long as development has been going smoothly, I could even see this earlier next year than holiday.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I printed out the trailer frame by frame, liquified it, and it's now my blood.

I'm guessing this is not 2020 but I'm glad to see something. I hope the setting isn't just Hyrule but even gooeier.

MrMegaMill

Nov 28, 2017
Anyone else get the feeling we will be exploring an underworld, not an overworld.

Like, years of buried ruins and temples under ground..... That would be sick.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Really digging spooky mummy Ganondorf. Legitimately unsettling. I'm 100% down with this darker vibe.

Also I bet they will be re-using a lot of assets and they won't have to figure out how the core of the game works this time around so I wouldn't expect this game to take too long to make.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo wants to go super dark, they should kill off fan favorite Sidon right at the beginning of the game.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
...man, I really wish there wasn't always something getting in the way of my excitement for Nintendo games these days. Game Freak being awful is one thing, but if this is the same Hyrule then that's incredibly disappointing.

Breath of the Wild is my favourite game of all time because I loved exploring the world so much. Even a time travel '1000 years earlier' scenario would give me cause for concern because the world really needs to be damn near unrecognisable for me to have the same level of enthusiasm for exploration.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
If this is the same Hyrule, then that's incredibly disappointing.
Not sure why anyone thinks it will... Majora's Mask wasn't the same location, Link's Awakening wasn't the same location. The only thing we know is that the opening takes place under hyrule castle and then the castle starts to float away.

lordy16

Oct 28, 2017
...man, I really wish there wasn't always something getting in the way of my excitement for Nintendo games. Game Freak being awful is one thing, but if this is the same Hyrule, then that's incredibly disappointing.

Breath of the Wild is my favourite game of all time because I loved exploring the world so much. Even a time travel '1000 years earlier' scenario would give me cause for concern because the world really needs to be damn near unrecognisable for me to have the same level of enthusiasm aboug exploration.

I feel exactly the same way.

I don't want to revist the same places. I want that sense of wonder again of knowing *absolutely nothing* about the world I'm stepping into.

That awe and excitement with every step, the curiosity to know what's behind every hill and mountain, I need that back in my life.

Repeat the assets, but give us a new world.

I can't get fully hyped until I get confirmation.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I loved everything about this trailer. It's like BotW but darker. I'll probably buy it like I did with BotW and end up giving up on it cause I'm a baby and couldn't stand the weapon degradation.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
If Zelda would ever be playable in a mainline title, it'd be in a direct sequel, after Link has already been established as a hero (going by Nintendo logic here).

They can't McGuffin her again.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
I dunno but my gut feeling tells me the trailer theme sound might be "Nocturne of Shadow" backwards

Here's someone playing "Nocturne of Shadow" in flute backwards

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Completely apart from the fact that I did not expect to see the sequel to Breath of the Wild at 9 o'clock this morning, there is so much about the direction of this follow-up that I like -- or at least, so much of what it hints at. Directly continuing Breath of the Wild rather than reinventing the wheel at this point is the move to make. More focus on Zelda is something that's needed. Staying in the same world (we can very safely assume it'll be greatly expanded or refreshed somehow), allowing the developers to focus almost wholly on design now that the tech and template have been established. Not to mention how much developing solely for the Switch, rather than the Wii U, will benefit the experience.

I would love it so much if this has to do with rebuilding Hyrule post-Calamity Ganon. This teaser doesn't hint at that, but whatever it's hinting at is god damned interesting. Again, that's the kind of creativity you get after you've already developed the formula and laid the foundations, and have the ability to just go apeshit.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a scene of Link and Zelda returning to the Deku Tree together. Big dude wanted to see her smile again!

Oct 27, 2017
If you would have told 2017 me that we would have seen more footage of a BOTW sequel than Bayonetta 3 or MP4 by this time I would have questioned your sanity...but here we are.

Oct 25, 2017
i truly doubt when they say "same world" they mean same map, what they probably mean is "same timeframe"

the castle uprooting like that is a perfect excuse for the land to radically change again, perhaps there will be an emphasis on underground dungeonesque exploration this time too

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
It'd slightly suck if this was indeed "the same Hyrule" and I'm leaning towards that after the quote. But as a kid I always wished we'd go back to Ocarina's Hyrule that had been densified and changed - maybe that sort of thing could actually be quite good.