• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lexible

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
If people literally think this is the same Hyrule as BOTW as in 1:1 pixel perfect then I don't know what to say. This cannot seriously be something people are worried about.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is my plot theory.

Zelda and Link explore the caves underneath the castle, where a malicious presence is still there.
They find ancient art depicting Ganondorf and the events of Twilight Princess/Ocarina of Time.
The body of Ganondorf is at the center of the cave, where he fell after the last battle against Link in Botw.
There, an hand of energy is keeping the evil inside his body. The hand could be the manifestation of the Goddess Hylia or the last Twilight princess.
The hand is losing power, for some reason, and that's why Zelda found out the malicious presence was getting stronger under the castle.
The hand finally let go Ganondorf, he wakes up and he's pulling the castle up in the sky with his dark energy, making the caves crumble.
Link and Zelda are falling, but the hand suddenly reappears and it grabs Link (who's holding Zelda's hand). The hand is getting weaker and weaker, and the only reason for it to survive is to get into Link's body. This will let Link have new powers (it's probably going to be the new Sheikah Slate).
The castle rises into the Sky Realm/Dark World/Twilight World or maybe it just floats over Hyrule, but I don't see them recycling the exact same map so I expect major twists.
The front door of a big palace during the trailer heavily hints at the presence of proper dungeons or something like that (maybe "Wild dungeons" like the Hyrule castle in Botw).

Predicted titles: something that has to do with the word Hand or maybe Twilight of the Wild/Breath of the Twilight.

Hm interesting ideas. I think that Ganondorfs body has been there since before BOTW and the Calamity Ganon was the malice seeping from his trapped body. I definitely agree that links glow hand his his new way to use Sheikah Slate powers because Zelda will be using her Sheikah Slate herself now giving them both a way to have the abilities.

The castle rises into the Sky Realm/Dark World/Twilight World or maybe it just floats over Hyrule, but I don't see them recycling the exact same map so I expect major twists.

What if Ganondorfs Island basically is constantly flying over Hyrule. Zelda and Link are still in the under world after the castle rises and once they make their way out after fighting this large rat like monster (HINT HINT) they find a corrupted hyrule with Dorf spewing malice over the land (just like the small rat we see in the trailer that they just fought). That way we are exploring a corrupted Hyrule and returning light to the land. It a new land that we return to how we remember it. Even more Dorfs floating castle travels the land and buffs the monsters near it. Also make it so it passes by high landmarks allowing you (if your good enough) to infiltrate the castle from the start just like BOTW. Would also make speed runs more interesting if it is not on a preset path.

superpickleman

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My guess is that they'll reuse the same map but it'll be changed significantly. The castle rising up will probably reshape the land and reveal a bunch of hidden dungeons and whatnot (pls, I want to explore and come across caves and dark dungeons).

And depending on how long after BotW this takes place there will likely be a new towns and stuff to visit.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
For me it makes more sense for the game to be a more even split of over/underworld.

I doubt the whole overworld will be playable.

Based on the view from the Great Plateau it doesn't really look all that different either.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Make this BOTW: Metroid Prime 2 Echoes.

Or an inverted BOTW, where most of the game is in dungeons/caves and you travel to small pockets of the overworld.

Do it.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I hope it's all new landscape/map. I want to exore an all new world.
It seems they are listening to criticism about there being no traditional dungeons.
Now it would be cool if you could co-op play the game.
If this is the exact same map perhaps this is some kinds of advanced expansion pack for the original game. Downloadable expansion?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it just me who feels disappointed when they see that world again? The dark environment in the trailer looks so so so so so so so good and then we see that bright and colourful world and it's just like, no! Please go back to what we were just looking at.

I really hope we get a ton of dark interior environments because if this trailer shows anything it's that this artstyle mixed with dark location's is incredible.
I mean that bright and shiny world looked like it was crumbling and something was coming through the woods to scare the birds off. I'd say you dont have to worry about not getting a dark game.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
AlarmingScholarlyGoosefish-size_restricted.gif

Jan 15, 2019
I mean that bright and shiny world looked like it was crumbling and something was coming through the woods to scare the birds off. I'd say you dont have to worry about not getting a dark game.
The birds flew away because the ground starts shaking when Hyrule castle lifts off the ground. That said, I think just about any retreading of Hyrule will be limited to fan-service toward the very end of the game, at most.

Anyway to humor myself I went back to the old place and found a big 'ol post I made in 2017 enumerating some of the changes I'd like to see in a BotW sequel and so far it looks like they might actually implement a lot of the things I'd hoped for:

me in 2017 said:
-More enemy variety. This is a common request. Some flying enemies that aren't keese would be cool, just off the top of my head.

-More "epic" encounters. Instead of getting chased down by three wolves every ~ten minutes you're out exploring, how about a pack of twelve every thirty minutes? Or how about get rid of encounters with 1-2 keese entirely and replace it only with those encounters where an entire flock attacked you? I found the flocks to be a lot more fun and intimidating to engage with while the groups of 2 keese felt like more of a nuisance.

-How about at nighttime, instead of just coming across the stal monsters which are complete push overs, there are things like Shadow Lynels that make exploring at night genuinely scary, and maybe some other boss-type enemies that can only be found at night? I'd like nighttime exploring to feel more threatening, just as it would in some pre-industrial revolution time when people thought sea monsters and such actually existed. If I recall, people in Kakariko village mention that they're ordered not to go out at night because it's so dangerous, but it never really feels that way. more enemies show up, sure, but they're considerably weaker than the ones that are around in the day.

-terrain changes as story progresses. Maybe each time you complete a divine beast, Ganon's power/rage/whatever they want to call it grows and it does things like cause huge thunderstorms, or cause earthquakes that create faults in the world or something and these severe weather events/natural disasters would open up the ability to explore new areas. Maybe the thunderstorm provides gusts that let you glide to an area you couldn't reach before, or the earthquakes open up caves previously sealed shut. This would go against the "do anything in any order" set up but I personally wouldn't mind it.

-The ability to dive. I remember diving (well, sinking) waaaaay down in Twilight Princess to get to the third(?) dungeon and thinking how cool it was. BotW had a ton of variety in terms of landscapes but one thing that I think it was missing was the ability to explore the bottoms of lakes or to dive into the sea.

-caverns to explore. Similar to my request above, but for caverns. There was very little of that in BotW. Almost none, really. I suppose the forgotten temple counts in a way.

-How about when you blow up ore deposits, there's a chance to find iron and then X amount of iron can be taken to someone to repair/replace a badly damaged weapon you have? Just like what can already be done with the weapons you get from the champions, but for all weapons. This should also apply to wood and wooden items, obviously. Maybe someone in Goron city could repair metal weapons while someone in Korok Forest could repair wooden ones. This would alleviate people's frustrations with breaking weapons without getting rid of the incentive to acquire new weapons that would happen if weapons just never broke.

-larger towns. It was weird to me that every town had a population of like 30 people. I think if towns were about double their current size that would feel just about right.

-Expand Kilton's role. I think he's one of the more charming characters. I love that he has his own currency to "disrupt the establishment" and that he's this weird pariah that always sets up shop on the very edge of town and only shows up at night. I was genuinely surprised that so much effort went into a character that overall isn't that important.

-On a related note, and this is admittedly just a small nitpick, I'd like it if you could talk to the Bokoblins/Moblins/Lizalfos (or at least they could talk to you) if you're wearing their mask from Kilton. I don't think they'd have to say anything important, it'd just be funny and charming. The game already has a sand seal that gives you advice if you feed it fruit, so it's not like I'm that far from what they already do here.

-Let me keep anything in a stable. Charge me extra to store a bear and have them say something funny about how they really don't want to have to watch after it, but still let me register the bear. Same for all the other mounts.

-a way to look up recipes you've cooked.

-more weird stuff during a blood moon

-visually I'm fine with not doing any sort of big overhaul, I'd just like the game to be in 1080p with less haze and less pop-in. Sort of breaks the immersion when something just manifests like 50 feet ahead of you.

-customizable paraglider. It obviously comes from the Rito tribe (even though that doesn't make much sense since they can fly) so it'd be nice to see what a Gerudo paraglider or something of that sort would look like. With there being so many weapons and shields and armor it was weird that the paraglider can't be changed in any way.

-more natural voice acting. The English voice actors seem like they were instructed to enunciate very clearly, to the point that it doesn't always sound like natural speech. It felt more like listening to people narrate an audio book than acting out a cut scene.

-Let me ride a dragon. It would've been a nice Easter egg if the dragon you save (Naydra?) lets you ride her as a gift for having saved her. I'd like it if the game never explicitly tells you that you can do it (as is the case with many things in the game) but that if you try to land on naydra and ride her you find that you can. I think maybe you can do this if you have a set of armor that makes you shockproof/ freezeproof/ fireproof but I've not tried.

-village raids. It would be a nice side quest if bands of bokoblins occasionally raided towns. Sort of like when they would attack a traveler, but on a larger scale. You'd get a big reward for fighting off the whole group. It seemed weird to me that there would be enemy camps of bokoblins within 30 seconds of villages sometimes but they apparently never tried to ransack those towns.

-More natural edges to the world. I was really disheartened as I started to climb a cliff waaaay in the northwest and was just met with a message saying "You can't go any farther". How about a cliff that's impossible to climb, or wind that's too strong to move against? Anything that keeps me grounded in the world (like the sand storm at the edge of Gerudo) is infinitely better than an on-screen prompt informing me I've hit the edge.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Is it just me who feels disappointed when they see that world again? The dark environment in the trailer looks so so so so so so so good and then we see that bright and colourful world and it's just like, no! Please go back to what we were just looking at.

I really hope we get a ton of dark interior environments because if this trailer shows anything it's that this artstyle mixed with dark location's is incredible.

To a degree yeah I get that feeling. But I think its more because I want to be ensured a lot of new areas and designs to explore.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that disappoints me is that the entire point of BOTW was that Ganondorf gave up his immortality for the ultimate power, he could finally be killed for good.

If this is just Ganondorf again I'll be real disappointed. It feels like a huge step back.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
It'd slightly suck if this was indeed "the same Hyrule" and I'm leaning towards that after the quote. But as a kid I always wished we'd go back to Ocarina's Hyrule that had been densified and changed - maybe that sort of thing could actually be quite good.

This is how I feel too. See what they've rebuilt now the perceived threat is gone. Hyrule Castle repopulated, rebuilt barracks, other destroyed places we found repopulated and re-purposed. Temple of Time being reconstructed... I think that would be cool.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to point out, save for one occurrence in Four Swords Adventures, Ganondorf is the same man. He doesn't reincarnate.

The corpse in the trailer is bedecked in finery like a BotW style Gerudo, not in Ganondorf's usual style.

Perhaps that's not Ganondorf. Perhaps that's just a Gerudo Voe from who got caught up in all of this mess.

Couldn't be one from 100 years ago. We'd have heard of him if he got embroiled in Calamity Ganon's return.

So maybe he was around 10,000 years ago. Back when the last hero helped to stop Ganon.

The last hero who, I remind you, is depicted as

Always did think the flowing red hair and emerald green eye was strange for a character we'd expect to be blonde and blue-eyed.

Funny, you know who do have green eyes in BotW Hyrule?

And you know who has flowing red locks?

He isn't Ganondorf, or at least he wasn't before the Malice. We're looking at Hyrule's previous Link.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most exciting aspects of this sequel is getting more time with the all-time best Zelda character roster. More time with Kass, Sidon, Riju, and (lol) Paya is a great thing.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
The Hyrule of BOTW is so huge that I'm not really sure I want to spend that much time exploring it again. I hope that most of this game will be set in a sprawling new open world that is mostly underground.

It's going to be interesting to see how they use the old map, I can't believe that they would have a new underground world as well as a retouched Hyrule with a massive amount of new content.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I can't wait!

And this time, the Wii U isn't around to hold the sequel back from the Switch's full potential graphically like with the first.

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
I don't know if it's already been postulated by someone else but I'm predicting the events surrounding Ganondorf and that weird glowy hand in the trailer are connected to the sudden death of Zelda's mother

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to point out, save for one occurrence in Four Swords Adventures, Ganondorf is the same man. He doesn't reincarnate.

The corpse in the trailer is bedecked in finery like a BotW style Gerudo, not in Ganondorf's usual style.

Perhaps that's not Ganondorf. Perhaps that's just a Gerudo Voe from who got caught up in all of this mess.

Couldn't be one from 100 years ago. We'd have heard of him if he got embroiled in Calamity Ganon's return.

So maybe he was around 10,000 years ago. Back when the last hero helped to stop Ganon.

Always did think the flowing red hair and emerald green eye was strange for a character we'd expect to be blonde and blue-eyed.

He isn't Ganondorf, or at least he wasn't before the Malice. We're looking at Hyrule's previous Link.
I would love for this to be the story.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Hyrule of BOTW is so huge that I'm not really sure I want to spend that much time exploring it again. I hope that most of this game will be set in a sprawling new open world that is mostly underground.

It's going to be interesting to see how they use the old map, I can't believe that they would have a new underground world as well as a retouched Hyrule with a massive amount of new content.
I'd rather have a new land. An underground overworld is a bit too Metroidish for Zelda. Zelda lives by its dark and light balance, if the whole game is mostly underground the game is just too dark, and it would have the same problem with diversity as botw had with there being only overground places just reversed.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that disappoints me is that the entire point of BOTW was that Ganondorf gave up his immortality for the ultimate power, he could finally be killed for good.

If this is just Ganondorf again I'll be real disappointed. It feels like a huge step back.
Well the Calamity Ganon was a really, really, really underwhelming final manifestation, so I for one am glad that they decided not to leave it at that.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I wonder when *this* game takes place in the timeline!

Based on what we saw so far, I would say sometimes *after* BoTW.
But don't quote me on that.

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
BoTW was my first Zelda game. I love it but I don't understand how a sequel works in Zelda's universe. Won't the map and dungeons stay the same since they are in the same world?

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I am just here to say King Zell you absolute mad man. I mean you said it would be 2020 but I never expected it to be announced at this E3 already. Let's hope the 2020 release date will stay.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Please let me transfere my upgraded mastersword i went through sweat, bloood n pain to get it

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
BoTW was my first Zelda game. I love it but I don't understand how a sequel works in Zelda's universe. Won't the map and dungeons stay the same since they are in the same world?
We don't know anything. Could be the same world, could be altered extremely, could introduce new ways of exploration, could be destroyed by whatever Ganondorf (?) is doing, could be a dark world.

Wait for more information is what we all should do before drawing conclusions.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
That looks pretty far along. I really hope dungeons make a comeback, the Divine Beasts and most of the Shrines were just boring. I need mah dungeons.

Although I hope the puzzle and elemental shrines make a comeback. I liked those.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
And please, bring back proper Ganon. Calamity Ganon sounds good in paper, but fighting him was so boring in the game. Bring back a villain with a personality.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Link is going to end up taking Ganondorf's place. A sacrificial vessel to hold back the darkness

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I do like the idea that the corpse isn't Ganondorf (at least, not any incarnation we've seen) but actually the hero from 10,000 years ago. There's just enough there to give it some credibility as a theory.

maxresdefault.jpg

Link's typically shown as blond, and the hero shown in the flashback story in BOTW shows him with red hair. I assumed it was initially a visual design simplification...but past Zelda is clearly shown to be blond here. So why wouldn't the past hero be shown be blond as well?

Last edited:

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Finally got a chance to really sit down and watch this teaser. I'm so god damn in. I hope we get a real deep dive on the Zelda lore.

The green symbols look like the Gerudo language:
JsurFJ1.png

OoYA2M4.jpg

Gimme more Gerudo/Zonai lore. That music was creepy as heck. The teaser was oozing atmosphere. I really hope we get more story than what Breath of the Wild gave us.
Good catch. The green arm also has golden jewelry entwined around it, which reminded me of the Gerudo designs in Breath of the Wild (things like the weird thunder hat etc). Ganondorf's corpse also has a lot of golden jewelry, too.

I did wonder if it was the Sheikah who'd sealed Ganondorf's corpse. In BotW, the idea Ganon was once a Gerudo is a myth - so maybe at some point the Gerudo sealed his corpse away, to hide their connection with him? There might also be a connection to the Yiga, who wanted to steal the Thunder Helm and whose hideout is actually a Gerudo temple.

The Yiga being involved would also give this more Adventure of Link dimensions. If BotW was heavily inspired by the original Zelda, then this could be partially inspired by Adventure of Link: a cult trying to (or succeeding in) reviving Ganondorf and gameplay with more of an emphasis on magic.