• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
im so hyped. Breath of the wild is my nr 1 zelda game ever and i have played them all.

how to improve from Breath 1.

Bring back Dungeons!
Let us play the story, no fucking memories please like the first game.
Add a bunch of New areas on the world map.
less focus on shrines, keep them by all means but no need to expand on them like crazy.
New enemies.
More hidden secrets.
More OP weapons and gear. more secret hidden weapons to find.
add a bunch of cool Sidequests.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
He isn't Ganondorf, or at least he wasn't before the Malice. We're looking at Hyrule's previous Link.

I think you are 100% right! Actually, you can even see green on his arm, which fits with the green going into Link's arm in the trailer.

My theory (after reading yours) is that it is in fact the Link from 10,000 ago, but the malice from Ganon is trying to posses him and the green hand is either trying to prevent it or making it happen.(somehow).

EDIT: I just rewatched the scene where the King explains to Link what happened 100 years ago. He said that Calamity Ganon appeared from deep below Hyrule Castle, and the trailer seems to be below the castle, so that Calamity Ganon is like the "ki/soul/energy/etc of Ganondorf? The corpse and calamity Ganon are definitely connected.

Last edited:

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well the Calamity Ganon was a really, really, really underwhelming final manifestation, so I for one am glad that they decided not to leave it at that.

I have never understood this. I thought Calamity Ganon was amazing. When you are doing the best ending all those who failed 100 years ago finally join together to strike a blow against the evil that controlled the land for 100 years. First phase takes all that you learned in the game and puts it to use, the 2nd phase is beautiful Ganon is in a panic for the first time in a 100 years, he is raging. The music is swelling with Ganons theme but also you can hear the light desperately trying to break out of darkness in how they blend the music. The closer you get to winning the more Ganon's theme fades from the music and the more you hear of the light trying its hardest. This all culminates with a moment as great as the end of portal 2. Where you realize the final blow is exactly what we saw link could do in the first trailer of the game.

I dont need Ganon to be a bloodborn boss. I have my plat in bloodborn already. Plenty of games have a final form that is more cinematic then the previous and people love it. So I had no problem with zelda doing that.

Jan 15, 2019
If people literally think this is the same Hyrule as BOTW as in 1:1 pixel perfect then I don't know what to say. This cannot seriously be something people are worried about.
I feel like "What if we just traverse Hyrule again and the map is mostly the same" is to this game as "What if there aren't any towns in this new Zelda" was to the original BotW. Like, obviously Nintendo isn't going to redesign Zelda from the ground up based on exploration, have the most successful Zelda game of all time as a result, and then ditch the theme of exploration in that game's direct sequel.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
im so hyped. Breath of the wild is my nr 1 zelda game ever and i have played them all.

how to improve from Breath 1.

Bring back Dungeons!
Let us play the story, no fucking memories please like the first game.
Add a bunch of New areas on the world map.
less focus on shrines, keep them by all means but no need to expand on them like crazy.
New enemies.
More hidden secrets.
More OP weapons and gear. more secret hidden weapons to find.
add a bunch of cool Sidequests.
Word for word, this is exactly what I want. I'm so excited!

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like "What if we just traverse Hyrule again and the map is mostly the same" is to this game as "What if there aren't any towns in this new Zelda" was to the original BotW. Like, obviously Nintendo isn't going to redesign Zelda from the ground up based on exploration, have the most successful Zelda game of all time as a result, and then ditch the theme of exploration in that game's direct sequel.
Ah yes, the 'there are no towns' talk. Good times. Some people really tend to get stuck in a narrow way of thinking. I remember when people thought Odyssey only would have ~4 kingdoms after the first trailer and that Nintendo showed all the cards already.

It's the case for more games, this one is indeed looking like 'oh man, same world?' for now. It's real tiring sometimes.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
What I want:
- Sailing!
- More present time story, but that it's a given since Link recovered his memories.

I have never understood this. I thought Calamity Ganon was amazing. When you are doing the best ending all those who failed 100 years ago finally join together to strike a blow against the evil that controlled the land for 100 years. First phase takes all that you learned in the game and puts it to use, the 2nd phase is beautiful Ganon is in a panic for the first time in a 100 years, he is raging. The music is swelling with Ganons theme but also you can hear the light desperately trying to break out of darkness in how they blend the music. The closer you get to winning the more Ganon's theme fades from the music and the more you hear of the light trying its hardest. This all culminates with a moment as great as the end of portal 2. Where you realize the final blow is exactly what we saw link could do in the first trailer of the game.

I dont need Ganon to be a bloodborn boss. I have my plat in bloodborn already. Plenty of games have a final form that is more cinematic then the previous and people love it. So I had no problem with zelda doing that.
Beautifully put, I couldn't agree more.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Please reduce/remove weapon damage
So weapons should not do damage? or you mean the breaking of weapons which was the core to the series pushing you to experiment. for me it was the greatest thing from BOTW and its a core design pillar. I would not hold my hopes up for them to not go the same approach.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
The weapon durability never bother me, I liked it for what it was. Used so many different bows, swords, shields, always felt natural for me.

I do wish there were more items like the Master Sword or a way to fix them. Like the Hylian Shield you can find or the unique weapons given by the different tribes. I know you can get them again, but that always felt a bit cumbersome to do.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
What if Ganondorfs Island basically is constantly flying over Hyrule. Zelda and Link are still in the under world after the castle rises and once they make their way out after fighting this large rat like monster (HINT HINT) they find a corrupted hyrule with Dorf spewing malice over the land (just like the small rat we see in the trailer that they just fought). That way we are exploring a corrupted Hyrule and returning light to the land. It a new land that we return to how we remember it. Even more Dorfs floating castle travels the land and buffs the monsters near it. Also make it so it passes by high landmarks allowing you (if your good enough) to infiltrate the castle from the start just like BOTW. Would also make speed runs more interesting if it is not on a preset path.

I like that, it would open a huge number of possibilities. Like, A LOT. I'm really curious about the underworld places, I think they'll play a big role in the game. If you think about the Hyrule map, it's pretty much perfect in his big dimensions. How do you make it even bigger? Going up and going down, adding two important layers to the map.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
QoL things that need to change without a doubt:
- No gameplay-interrupting cutscene every time you clear an enemy camp (the one that shows you that the treasure chest has been unlocked)
- You should be able to change directly into your menu when you open a chest whose item you cannot currently hold so that you don't need to open the chest a second time

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I do like the idea that the corpse isn't Ganondorf (at least, not any incarnation we've seen) but actually the hero from 10,000 years ago. There's just enough there to give it some credibility as a theory.

maxresdefault.jpg

Link's typically shown as blond, and the hero shown in the flashback story in BOTW shows him with red hair. I assumed it was initially a visual design simplification...but past Zelda is clearly shown to be blond here. So why wouldn't the past hero be shown be blond as well?
Look at the hand and the legs on the old hero. I think it's fair to say this guy is wearing armor.

Muras

Oct 28, 2017
One thing I'd like to point out with the corpse is how this particular individual has rounded ears, rather than pointy ones:

You can see it pretty good in that shot. The original Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time, along with all the Gerudo from that game had round ears. Meanwhile, all the Gerudo in Breath of the Wild have pointy ears. I feel having rounded ears is pretty intentional from the devs in this situation, and is some good attention to detail if this is meant to be the original Ganondorf. I'm personally leaning towards this being the original (And I'm also on Team Downfall Timeline, heh).

Of course, I have to also bring up the fact that both Twilight Princess and Wind Waker Ganondorf have pointy ears. So, if anything, Nintendo is just inconsistent and doesn't care. But it's still strange that Nintendo would choose to use rounded ears in this case, I think, given that I can't recall a single NPC with rounded ears in Breath of the Wild.

I think humans have also been seen to have round ears, such as in Twilight Princess, but I think it's pretty clear the corpse is Gerudo in this case.

I dunno, just figured it was an interesting detail. Maybe it's nothing, or maybe it's a nod to the original Ganondorf. *shrug*

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'd like to point out with the corpse is how this particular individual has rounded ears, rather than pointy ones:

You can see it pretty good in that shot. The original Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time, along with all the Gerudo from that game had round ears. Meanwhile, all the Gerudo in Breath of the Wild have pointy ears. I feel having rounded ears is pretty intentional from the devs in this situation, and is some good attention to detail if this is meant to be the original Ganondorf. I'm personally leaning towards this being the original (And I'm also on Team Downfall Timeline, heh).

Of course, I have to also bring up the fact that both Twilight Princess and Wind Waker Ganondorf have pointy ears. So, if anything, Nintendo is just inconsistent and doesn't care. But it's still strange that Nintendo would choose to use rounded ears in this case, I think, given that I can't recall a single NPC with rounded ears in Breath of the Wild.

I think humans have also been seen to have round ears, such as in Twilight Princess, but I think it's pretty clear the corpse is Gerudo in this case.

I dunno, just figured it was an interesting detail. Maybe it's nothing, or maybe it's a nod to the original Ganondorf. *shrug*
Just looking at the image, I think the brighter hand is holding the corpse, and it's flow of dark energy, back. And there was a moment in the trailer where you could see Link's hand show the same kind of brightness as the hand there.

So I think there's a sealing thing going on here that Ganon has been escaping from every few hundred/thousand years or so. And it could be that the seal is weakening now, hence the reason for the game: Link and Zelda need to reseal Ganon or just defeat him once and for all.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Weapon durability never, ever bothered me, and I've played 2 100% playthroughs, on normal and hard mode. Outside of that first 1-2 hours I always got more weapons than I could carry.

What the new game really needs are more ingredients and recipes! I want to treat Link/Zelda to a good roasted cucco, the forbidden meat.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see what ideas they'll introduce. People here already noted the BotW concept arts with the flying castle and arm powers for Link, wonder what else was left over from BotW and realized in this one.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017

Agreed. Going through this for the first time was quite the amazing experience.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game of the show for me. Easily.

I only wish for real dungeons this time around.

I'm also betting on a Holiday 2020 release.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It "only" has to have better, proper, traditional dungeons and it's already a GOTG contender. Everything else in Breath of the Wild already was top-notch aside from the wildly underwhelming Divine Beasts.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Game of the show for me. Easily.

I only wish for real dungeons this time around.
I think there will be. There's a flash in the trailer where you can see a big, temple-esque looking entrance. Could very well be where the trailer took place, but it felt like a deliberate tease.

Ugh, the wait will be dreadful for this one lol
It "only" has to have better, proper, traditional dungeons and it's already a GOTG contender. Everything else in Breath of the Wild already was top-notch aside from the wildly underwhelming Divine Beasts.

I loved the Divine Beasts, their role in the world. The camel was the first one I encountered and that cutscene spooked me good lol. The interiors could / should be improved upon for sure, but the beasts themselves were amazing.

Muras

Oct 28, 2017
Just looking at the image, I think the brighter hand is holding the corpse, and it's flow of dark energy, back. And there was a moment in the trailer where you could see Link's hand show the same kind of brightness as the hand there.

So I think there's a sealing thing going on here that Ganon has been escaping from every few hundred/thousand years or so. And it could be that the seal is weakening now, hence the reason for the game: Link and Zelda need to reseal Ganon or just defeat him once and for all.
Yeah, I see the same things. It looks like Ganondorf's "malice" is seeping out, like the hand is holding back a flood. Really curious what led Link and Zelda down there, and what they did to cause the seal to break.

Hopefully the game will have a bit more story and go more into the history that lead up to BotW. Dungeons and Story is what I'm hoping for.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I see the same things. It looks like Ganondorf's "malice" is seeping out, like the hand is holding back a flood. Really curious what led Link and Zelda down there, and what they did to cause the seal to break.
It might not be something they did. It might just be they decided to go exploring under the castle given that's where all the ancient tech is (and Zelda is a big tech nerd). Just going for a look around might have been enough to send things sideways.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you are 100% right! Actually, you can even see green on his arm, which fits with the green going into Link's arm in the trailer.

My theory (after reading yours) is that it is in fact the Link from 10,000 ago, but the malice from Ganon is trying to posses him and the green hand is either trying to prevent it or making it happen.(somehow).

EDIT: I just rewatched the scene where the King explains to Link what happened 100 years ago. He said that Calamity Ganon appeared from deep below Hyrule Castle, and the trailer seems to be below the castle, so that Calamity Ganon is like the "ki/soul/energy/etc of Ganondorf? The corpse and calamity Ganon are definitely connected.
There was a link earlier in the thread that showed there was a mistranslation or a deliberate change for the reason Calamity Ganon exists.

in the English version we are told CG exists because Ganondorf stopped trying to resurrect. The Japanese direct translation says CG exists due to Ganondor's repeated attempts to resurrect. I'm paraphrasing since I'm too lazy this early to find the post and link.

Muras

Oct 28, 2017
It might not be something they did. It might just be they decided to go exploring under the castle given that's where all the ancient tech is (and Zelda is a big tech nerd). Just going for a look around might have been enough to send things sideways.
I just like to think that it wasn't a coincidence that everything fell apart once they approached the corpse, that's all. I can imagine Ganondorf going into a fit of rage with them just approaching him (Since clearly his spirit is still there), causing the malice to be too much for the hand/arm to hold back anymore.

So maybe not something they did, but just being there set things in motion. I recall either the King or Zelda commenting how Calamity Ganon emerged from beneath the castle, so perhaps they were investigating that.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if 10000 years ago ganondorf actually was the hero? What if the calamity splitting from his body made him a normal person without hatred and rage? The mural hero had red hair not blond like link and zelda had her original look semblance. What if human ganondorf died while trying to stop the calamity because he was sick of his everlasting fate? And they locked away his body deep into hyrule castle after they find out the malice spreads from his corpse?

He does wear different clothes why change the clothes of a corpse? Maybe this game is about finally trying to end the cycle zelda says in botw the calamity is stopped. I guess in one last ditch effort demises hate tries to find its puppet again.

But this all justva theory a 🎮 theory

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Beautifully put, I couldn't agree more.

Agreed. Going through this for the first time was quite the amazing experience.

Thank you! The song is on my playlist when I'm on the elliptical (Along with Nier which inspires similar feelings) and its a topic I have thought about making.

I like that, it would open a huge number of possibilities. Like, A LOT. I'm really curious about the underworld places, I think they'll play a big role in the game. If you think about the Hyrule map, it's pretty much perfect in his big dimensions. How do you make it even bigger? Going up and going down, adding two important layers to the map.

Yeah I definitely think under ground will feature heavily in this as well.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do like the idea that the corpse isn't Ganondorf (at least, not any incarnation we've seen) but actually the hero from 10,000 years ago. There's just enough there to give it some credibility as a theory.

maxresdefault.jpg

Link's typically shown as blond, and the hero shown in the flashback story in BOTW shows him with red hair. I assumed it was initially a visual design simplification...but past Zelda is clearly shown to be blond here. So why wouldn't the past hero be shown be blond as well?
What if Ganondorf is the hero from 10,000 years ago?

Nov 3, 2017
In the trailer, you can see that Zelda and Link are in some sort of cavern (some sort of archaeological site?) surrounded by many Luminous Stones. In BotW, the description of the item states:

this mysterious mineral gives off a pale blue glow in the dark, which some believe to be the souls of the dead. Apparently, this stone can be used as a base to make special clothing.

So..........

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Oh baby, what if lifting off the castle actually floods the world?

That would be dope.
I mean, I fucking love Wind Waker, and I'd love a Wind Waker like Zelda again some day, but I don't think BotW2 should be that game. I'd be satisfied with some sailing mechanics and a row boat so I can go fishing peacefully, Twilight Princess style.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We should start coming up with name ideas.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Hand of Malice

I do wonder if the will keep BOTW as part of the title for recognition.

Why not? There were already rivers, lakes and sea zones. I'm only asking for better traversal than the raft boat + deku leaf.

Hm could have an animal like the Sand Seals to use. Could also have links arm turn into a boat motor as he stands on his shield. And Zelda gets a wakeboard app on her tablet.