• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
We should start coming up with name ideas.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Hand of Malice

I do wonder if the will keep BOTW as part of the title for recognition.

Hm could have an animal like the Sand Seals to use. Could also have links arm turn into a boat motor as he stands on his shield. And Zelda gets a wakeboard app on her tablet.
honestly just Legend of Zelda: Hand of Malice sounds good
The Legend of Zelda: Wrath of the WIld
yeah i like the idea of keeping wild in the title. good branding

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I know it's probably not coming until 2021 at the earliest but I better get on with BOTW lol still playing it. I've only done two divine beasts so far and feel like I'm still a long way away from the end.

The thing is that I've just been taking my time because I never want it to end. Knowing there will be a sequel might kick my ass to just finish it a bit quicker.

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
The crest of gerudo in the necklace makes me think that's Ganondorf.

LnPzrL3.png

AVRolmx.png

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I'd like to point out with the corpse is how this particular individual has rounded ears, rather than pointy ones:

You can see it pretty good in that shot. The original Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time, along with all the Gerudo from that game had round ears. Meanwhile, all the Gerudo in Breath of the Wild have pointy ears. I feel having rounded ears is pretty intentional from the devs in this situation, and is some good attention to detail if this is meant to be the original Ganondorf. I'm personally leaning towards this being the original (And I'm also on Team Downfall Timeline, heh).

Of course, I have to also bring up the fact that both Twilight Princess and Wind Waker Ganondorf have pointy ears. So, if anything, Nintendo is just inconsistent and doesn't care. But it's still strange that Nintendo would choose to use rounded ears in this case, I think, given that I can't recall a single NPC with rounded ears in Breath of the Wild.

I think humans have also been seen to have round ears, such as in Twilight Princess, but I think it's pretty clear the corpse is Gerudo in this case.

I dunno, just figured it was an interesting detail. Maybe it's nothing, or maybe it's a nod to the original Ganondorf. *shrug*

So if I'm piecing everything right...

The body is the hero of Hyrule from 10,000 years ago who wielded the master sword to defeat Ganon. And dark energy from Ganon's defeat is seeping into him taking over/reviving his body. Ganon in human form = Ganondorf.

So wouldn't that might suggest the energy hitting Link right now, might be the Original Heroes soul attaching himself to Link for some cool equipment attachment all while being Link's companion for the game like that concept art someone shared suggests?

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I really hope they go with a totally different title. Breath of the Wild 2 would suck and so would "??? of the Wild"

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So if I'm piecing everything right...

The body is the hero of Hyrule from 10,000 years ago who wielded the master sword to defeat Ganon. And dark energy from Ganon's defeat is seeping into him taking over/reviving his body. Ganon in human form = Ganondorf.

So wouldn't that might suggest the energy hitting Link right now, might be the Original Heroes soul attaching himself to Link for some cool equipment attachment all while being Link's companion for the game like that concept art someone shared suggests?

Huh, so I definitely think the scene with the Malice covering the Rat is important as it will show its corruption effects as I said in my story musings earlier. Your idea would totally fit in with that. The Malice is corrupting the corpse of a Triforce wielder to resurrect Ganondorf. I think the major thing against that is all the jewelry and gear are all just Gerudo stuff not Hylian so its likely just Dorfs corpse.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if this has been covered already, but Zeltik had a pretty good analysis of the trailer content IMO.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
honestly just Legend of Zelda: Hand of Malice sounds good
I don't like it just because the hand in the trailer appears to be holding the malice back. Hand of malice, at least going off the trailer alone would indicate the hand is evil. Which it totally may be when all is revealed, but as for now, I don't think it jives.

Edit:
After watching the video again, Hand of Malice could work if Ganondorf is the Hero of legend and the hand is what killed/stopped him and caused the malice and bad mojo to happen.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, so I definitely think the scene with the Malice covering the Rat is important as it will show its corruption effects as I said in my story musings earlier. Your idea would totally fit in with that. The Malice is corrupting the corpse of a Triforce wielder to resurrect Ganondorf. I think the major thing against that is all the jewelry and gear are all just Gerudo stuff not Hylian so its likely just Dorfs corpse.
What is the possibility that the original hero was a Gerudo?

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
2ebc45d02ca22d69a264841dc099215c.jpg

This pic pretty much confirms that Zelda isn't the primary playable character, all those mechanics. :(

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
2ebc45d02ca22d69a264841dc099215c.jpg

This pic pretty much confirms that Zelda isn't the primary playable character, all those mechanics. :(
Concept art from BotW doesn't really tell that, but that should've been the expectation anyway. Doesn't mean she won't be playable at all or has a small role again, but Link being the playable character is kinda what The Legend of Zelda is about.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
I almost screamed watching that trailer. Botw is a really special game to me and i'm excited to get more of it

Anyway I think this game could possibly release at three different time periods( barring a delay, obviously)
Summer 2020- knowing that ac is march and assuming oddysey 2 is planned for next holiday's then this could make from having the big games spread out throughout the year( kinda like 2017). Only issue is that this seems to soon based on how little we know now. Although they don't need e3 to do a massive blowout on zelda. And they could always reveal more at the game awards.

Holiday 2020- this is a bit more generous to what we know about this game. Little tidbits throughout 2020, leading to a 2016-botw -style blowout at e3 would be great marketing and makes revealing it now make a lot more sense. and if smo2 also releases during the holiday, than it would make a great one-two punch to counteract next gen.

Spring 2021- Zelda games take a while to release so this makes sense. This also means that it takes the same spot as botw did. The problem I see with this is that it seems we've seen some cut scenes from this game, which is in stark contrast to other announced super far in advance games like metroid and pokemon. If this was a planned 2021 release than i feel it would be revealed at a later date like a direct in 2020 or the game awards. also, king zell has a near perfect track record and he hinted that this was 2020. (plus i need this game asap)

Overall i have no clue when this releases.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure we can pick if we want to play as Zelda or Link from the start.
Maybe we can also Switch characters on the fly, which would be pretty neat especially in the context of an open-world.
Ability-wise they'll probably have the same ones: Zelda will have the tablet and Link is going to use his Sheika-magic arm which will morph into different items/tools (see teaser hint and concept art above!).

I'm mostly worried about them reusing the overworld from BotW 1, which I was sure of they won't do until I read somewhere on here that Aounma plans to reuse in some way.

Just give me a new huge overworld to explore, and I'll be mostly golden.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I almost screamed watching that trailer. Botw is a really special game to me and i'm excited to get more of it

Anyway I think this game could possibly release at three different time periods( barring a delay, obviously)
Summer 2020- knowing that ac is march and assuming oddysey 2 is planned for next holiday's then this could make from having the big games spread out throughout the year( kinda like 2017). Only issue is that this seems to soon based on how little we know now. Although they don't need e3 to do a massive blowout on zelda. And they could always reveal more at the game awards.

Holiday 2020- this is a bit more generous to what we know about this game. Little tidbits throughout 2020, leading to a 2016-botw -style blowout at e3 would be great marketing and makes revealing it now make a lot more sense. and if smo2 also releases during the holiday, than it would make a great one-two punch to counteract next gen.

Spring 2021- Zelda games take a while to release so this makes sense. This also means that it takes the same spot as botw did. The problem I see with this is that it seems we've seen some cut scenes from this game, which is in stark contrast to other announced super far in advance games like metroid and pokemon. If this was a planned 2021 release than i feel it would be revealed at a later date like a direct in 2020 or the game awards. also, king zell has a near perfect track record and he hinted that this was 2020. (plus i need this game asap)

We know the game was being worked and underdevelopment about a year and a half ago sometime after Breath of the Wild was released, Aonuma stated the next Zelda was already underway.

So I suppose pre-production was finished and them advertising the game is now under production means things are now underway. So I assume we have another 2-year wait at the most because they are reusing Breath of the Wild's engine and assets.

So I can totally see a Winter 2020 or Spring 2021. I'd be shocked if this was later then that. Breath of the Wild would have been out sooner but they admit they broke the game by tweaking the physics engine. So if all things go swimmingly this game could be out very soon.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I have no clue as to when, but a couple of things should help it get to us faster than many may expect. The delays in world building in the first game. Monolithsoft helped create the overworld when the Zelda team was having trouble. They may have learned a thing or two since then to allow them to make changes to the current world and make new areas faster. This will not be a port from the WiiU. If not for the Switch coming out when it did, BotW would have came out about a year sooner. They spent the last 8 months or so porting it to the Switch, removing the gamepad interactions, and polishing the Switch version.

Aunoma seems keenly aware of the issues in announcing too early, as well as the issue players have vocalized about the 1st game to ensure many of those things are fixed or improved upon for this release. It's not coming this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a summer or holiday 2020 release.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no clue as to when, but a couple of things should help it get to us faster than many may expect. The delays in world building in the first game. Monolithsoft helped create the overworld when the Zelda team was having trouble. They may have learned a thing or two since then to allow them to make changes to the current world and make new areas faster. This will not be a port from the WiiU. If not for the Switch coming out when it did, BotW would have came out about a year sooner. They spent the last 8 months or so porting it to the Switch, removing the gamepad interactions, and polishing the Switch version.

Aunoma seems keenly aware of the issues in announcing too early, as well as the issue players have vocalized about the 1st game to ensure many of those things are fixed or improved upon for this release. It's not coming this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a summer or holiday 2020 release.
Besides the 8 years it took porting the game. They also broke the game's design by tweaking with the physics engine having to rebuild a large portion of the game up by scratch.

There was a LOT of huge setbacks for Breath of the Wild. I think it's safe to say if the game didn't get hangup as much as it did we might have gotten the game 2 years earlier as the game was planned for a 2015 release.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Besides the 8 years it took porting the game. They also broke the game's design by tweaking with the physics engine having to rebuild a large portion of the game up by scratch.

There was a LOT of huge setbacks for Breath of the Wild. I think it's safe to say if the game didn't get hangup as much as it did we might have gotten the game 2 years earlier as the game was planned for a 2015 release.
Right. That's why I think it's close than people may think.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
Maybe we can also Switch characters on the fly, which would be pretty neat especially in the context of an open-world.
Ability-wise they'll probably have the same ones: Zelda will have the tablet and Link is going to use his Sheika-magic arm which will morph into different items/tools (see teaser hint and concept art above!).
I really like this ides. Giving Zelda access the shekia slate abilties from the first game, link this brand new gimmik and allowing you to play co-op or switch between characters on the fly seems like it could lead to some great world and puzzle design.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I get that but does no one complain about Master Chief being male in every game? Why can't Kratos be a female? This really ony seems to come up with Link.
This is kind of a false equivalence for a couple of reasons; the first being that Master Chief and Kratos aren't expressly designed as "avatars" the same way Link is. The fact that - up until Breath of the Wild - you were able to name him, meant that you were supposed to project onto him, and his character in the game was traditionally a blank slate with not much character, outside of games like Wind Waker. Because of that, it should come as no surprise that people have been wanting a female version of the character for the longest time.

Then there's also the other point that Zelda has almost always been the more interesting "character" in this series, and has been depicted multiple times as a capable person who's able to hold her own, so people naturally expect there to eventually be a game where she gets to be the one to do the adventuring. If Princess Peach can be playable in Mario games, I see no reason why Zelda can't get the spotlight, if only for once. The time seems perfect for it, because Breath of the Wild is now less concerned with making Link an avatar for the player and more his own autonomous character.

L176

Jan 10, 2019
It is probably further along in development than we think, definitely gonna be the big E3 game next year.

Well it's almost 2,5 years from BotW. Holiday next year it will already be almost 4 years. That is the same time it took from WW to TP and this sequel is made with the same engine. I am not surprised at all if it's a holiday 2020 game.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is kind of a false equivalence for a couple of reasons; the first being that Master Chief and Kratos aren't expressly designed as "avatars" the same way Link is. The fact that - up until Breath of the Wild - you were able to name him, meant that you were supposed to project on him, and his character in the game was traditionally a blank slate with not much character, outside of games like Wind Waker. Because of that, it should come as no surprise that people have been wanting a female version of the character for the longest time.

Then there's also the other point that Zelda has almost always been the more interesting "character" in this series, hell the franchise is basically named after her. Multiple incarnations have depicted her as a capable person, so people naturally expect there to eventually be a game where she gets to be the one to do the adventuring. If Princess Peach can be playable in Mario games, I see no reason why Zelda can't get the spotlight.
I can see that. I ws never one for renaming non customizable characters, so I never projected myself onto any character I could not customize.
The only reason would be the director doen't want to. Good or not, so far, that has been the direction.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I want dungeons, a more present story, Sidequests on par with MM, No breaking (Give us a dark souls style upgrade system), and underwater exploration.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
It's uses the same engine as BOTW which is fine at the game will release a lot quickier. But I hope they can upgrade the visuals don't get me wrong botw is amazing game with gorgeous artstyle. But this engine was made for Wii U, but it makes sense to keep this engine since it has all the physics etc.