• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really like this ides. Giving Zelda access the shekia slate abilties from the first game, link this brand new gimmik and allowing you to play co-op or switch between characters on the fly seems like it could lead to some great world and puzzle design.
That would be so cool, and finally answer the question that has stopped her being playable "If Zelda was the main character, what is Link going to do?"

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
People being more or less interested on a game depending on the sex of your avatar always baffles me. I don't care if my avatar is male, female or a bear as long as the game mechanics are fun. Beath of the Wild would be as good as Zelda as the main protagonist as well as Tomb Raider would be as good with Nathan Drake instead of Lara Croft. The game is the same despite the protagonist sex.

Regating BOTW2... please, make exploration worth it with a good rewarding system and throw to the bin that muddy aesthetic of the interior of the beasts.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Where? I would love to read it, but can't find much comments of Aonuma on the game.
I'm sure I read this somewhere on this board. I can't find it right now though :/
From an interview with Game Informer:

One of the reasons we wanted to create a continuation was because I wanted to revisit that Hyrule again and use that world again, while incorporating new gameplay and new story.
It's unclear how much of the game would involve "revisiting that Hyrule again" (could just be the early parts), but the way he talks about revisiting the same setting but with new gameplay and story sounds a lot like the first game's map will be reused a lot.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I really would love a playable Zelda; it would be interesting to have a speaking protagonist in a Zelda game for one. Plus, gameplay-wise, Link already is strong af by the end of BOTW. Zelda has just been reawakened; thematically it would make sense for her to have to grow!

I'm really excited to see what they do with this... I'm really hoping for a "Dark World" Hyrule or literal Depths of Hyrule setting. "Depths of the Wild" has a nice ring to it, too.

Oct 27, 2017
So cross platform title between switch and switch 2? Lol.

I hope not but either way I'm excited for a sequel to BotW. Curious what they add, improve, change, and remove.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

It's unclear how much of the game would involve "revisiting that Hyrule again" (could just be the early parts), but the way he talks about revisiting the same setting but with new gameplay and story sounds a lot like the first game's map will be reused a lot.
Cool, thank you! Will have to see just how much of the world remains the same and what alterations they introduce.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
I would love some dark world similar to ALTTP, a second map with the same size but with new background.

After breath of the wild, I would call this Whispers of the Dead.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for finding the interview!
Regarding Aonuma's comment has me a bit worried honestly.
They just can't reuse most of the predecessor's map, can they?
I mean, they kinda did it for ALBW, but they got away with it because it released many years after ALttP.
On the other hand they made it also work by the clever "2D" mechanic, so what do I know.

I'm still happy we'll get a direct sequel to one of the best games of all time, but between this and his comment about the programmers taking inspiration from RDR2 I'll remain sceptical.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Hmm... I thought the castle was heading off to a new land. That's a bit disappointing, that they are reusing the same Hyrule. But oh well, it's Nintendo I'm sure they will make it different enough.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the way he talks about revisiting the same setting but with new gameplay and story sounds a lot like the first game's map will be reused a lot.

I mean, they literally showed the first game's map in the actual trailer, so not really a surprise? I'm guessing this is going to be a 'changed' version of the original map.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. The tech is there and it has been two years since BotW already. It must be a 2020 title!
Im expecting significant engine upgrades. For one, the switch has a much more feature rich gpu with much more ram compared to Wii U. For two, physics plays a large part in this game so I think its likely they will redo the physics to utilise Nvidias physx middleware compared to the Havoc implementation of the original for gpu accelerated physics. If you remember back at Switch launch, Nvidia bragged about a custom physx implementation they did for Nintendo in their blog post.

Deleted member 40604

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 3, 2018
People need to relax about the map being reused. Link Between Worlds has the almost the same exact map as Link to the Past and they still managed to change up areas and make the overworld feel fresh.

All Nintendo needs to do is have a Cataclysm event like in WoW. Something that acts as a huge natural disaster that really helps change up parts of the landscape. I'm sure the castle rising will cause a lot of earthquakes. Maybe Death Mountain will explode. What if the Zora Dam breaks? The possibilities to completely alter certain areas are endless. And who knows, they might even be able to pull of both a light and dark version of Hyrule.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
It's uses the same engine as BOTW which is fine at the game will release a lot quickier. But I hope they can upgrade the visuals don't get me wrong botw is amazing game with gorgeous artstyle. But this engine was made for Wii U, but it makes sense to keep this engine since it has all the physics etc.
While we don't know if this trailer ran real-time, we do know that it's in engine, which is great because there seems to be a good amount of upgrades. Textures on everything seem to be higher-res, the polygonal detail in the environment is a good step ahead of what we saw in the original Breath of the Wild, light sources in the world, such as Ganon's Malice and the torch, seem to cast dynamic shadows in addition to the dynamic light they cast in the original game, and the resolution overall looks higher. Of course, we don't know if this is real-time or pre-rendered, but it seems pretty likely that this is real-time. Even if it's not, the assets of this should be the same in game. In essence, the only major change we should see from this to gameplay, if anything, is resolution. All this is to say that there is already a host of improvements over the original Breath of the Wild and, considering the extra power of the Switch and the dedication of the Zelda team, this should extend to the rest of the game as well.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
The first game was a pretty good foundation and I'd love for the sequel to improve in the following departments:
1. Tighter melee combat and better enemy variety
2. More smartly designed landscapes that actually require you to think of how to get through them instead of simply depending on how large your stamina bar is
3. Rework or remove durability all-together
4. Side quests with fun/interesting stories
5. Bring back the damn hook-shot
6. A better core narrative

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think if we get playable Zelda at all, it will be a dungeon gimmick ala controlling Medli or Makar in the later Wind Waker dungeons. Not possession or outright control by Link, but I think there will be a button or item to switch to Zelda for certain sections with her having certain actions only she can perform.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I think if we get playable Zelda at all, it will be a dungeon gimmick ala controlling Medli or Makar in the later Wind Waker dungeons. Not possession or outright control by Link, but I think there will be a button or item to switch to Zelda for certain sections with her having certain actions only she can perform.
Part of me wonders if we'll have a Light World/Dark World dynamic. Where you have to navigate both of them at the same time to accomplish a goal, Zelda in one and Link in the other.

God, I wish we had some actual information on this game. I want to know more so badly.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's so many concept art for BotW that I really hope make their way into this one. In particular some awesome looking divine beasts including a giant sea creature one. Now, of course I'm hoping traditional dungeons make their highly anticipated return, but I certainly wouldn't mind the beasts coming back as well, even if they aren't mainline dungeons this time around. It'd be awesome to just stumble upon some giant mechanical creatures while exploring the ocean and whatnot (and yes, hopefully sea exploration is in this time!).

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Could you maybe assemble all the info we have on this game, maybe in a new thread or a post here? Seems like you're keeping up to date.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God, this is such an amazing idea.
I could totally see dungeons being that. There's some precedent with Oracle of Ages and to a lesser extent OoT, where you essentially had to travel between the past and present in order to navigate a dungeon. So it's not like they've never done something like that before. I think the thing that would stop them is it might be too complicated for some players, but it would be cool as shit if they did it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
OMG no lol. I have yet to play a 3D game with fun underwater sections. Especially a 3D adventure game. Unless your not "swimming" and need like metal boots or something and are mostly just walking slowly.

I liked the different ways it was done in the N64 Zeldas, with OoT having the slower iron boots and MM with the Zora mask. I think either of those types of exploration can be made significantly more interesting. I don't remember much of the underwater in Twilight Princess.

I could totally see dungeons being that. There's some precedent with Oracle of Ages and to a lesser extent OoT, where you essentially had to travel between the past and present in order to navigate a dungeon. So it's not like they've never done something like that before. I think the thing that would stop them is it might be too complicated for some players, but it would be cool as shit if they did it.

Skyward Sword did the past and present thing simultaneously quite well

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure of a couple things:

Game will look better since there's no Wii U version.
Zelda will be playable. The fact that she's wearing similar clothes and has short hair (prevents clipping through different outfits). Also they are well aware that people have been clamoring to play as female Link or Zelda especially since the BotW reveal trailer.
Dungeons will play a large part. We had no underground sections in the first game and people complained about that. The whole trailer was underground and showed a dungeon entrance. That was definitely on purpose.
Link will upgrade his hand with different abilities. Notably a hookshot. That was also something people complained about in BotW.

I'm betting the overworld will be resused. I'm actually cool with that since I think underground will play such a large part. Maybe this is five years later which will be enough time for changes to have happened. Of course the castle could fly somewhere else so who knows.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expect Zelda to be playable, but not co-op. The trailer suggested that Zelda and Link are separated, with one of them falling off a cliff.
It makes more sense to use Zelda, because otherwise we would need to come up with an excuse to nerf Link. Remember how Samus always had to lose all her powers at the start of every Metroid game? Nintendo would want to avoid this since this is an immediate sequel.

Short hair is just one hint. My immediate realisation is that the trailer has Zelda's face being the last we see instead of Link's.

Having Zelda by herself, gives the game the ability to give her all new powers, even new mechanics. It is a way to reuse game assets and engine while not looking like just an expansion pack. This is a direct sequel, which makes it a full sized game. And seeing the world through Zelda's eyes, and see how the NPCs react to her, rather than Link, means things can feel different without needing to rebuild everything from scratch.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword did the past and present thing simultaneously quite well
It didn't require physically changing location, it was more flicking a switch. Having to navigate a dungeon in a Light and Dark World simultaneously, essentially mirrored across both and requiring problem solving in one to advance in the other, would be more complicated.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Could you maybe assemble all the info we have on this game, maybe in a new thread or a post here? Seems like you're keeping up to date.
Sure, I can do that. It'd be a combo "here are all the tidbits that have been revealed" + "this is what I think we can infer from the trailer" thread. It won't be until tonight, though. I'm going to work soon.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
I just hope that blacksmith or something in this nature will be there. For example when it shows that your weapon will break soon you can take it to blacksmith and he will repair it.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I'm interested to see how much involved is Monolithsoft in this one.

I also think it should release at least in 2020 fiscal year.
I don't think Nintendo especially needs to show games that are too far away now, versus 2017 and Metroid Prime 4 (which was back then maybe not even so- far from release in their eye... but got canceled).

It can be 2021, but it means they're most certainly hiding very big games inbetween while hyping BotW 2 step by step for around 2 years.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
At this point, it be best to just merge all the split timelines into one and put this and BOTW after it. Fans are gonna want timeline and callbacks, and Nintendo wants to move forward, so might as well come up with some Mcguffin as too how the timelines merge.
Probably don't even need to make up a reason. Just move boldly into the future Nintendo!

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I just hope to god they keep durability and shorter dungeons. I still want to spend most of my time exploring the overworld/underworld

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Co-op Zelda? Competitive? In what capacity?

Also online co-op lol. This is old man Nintendo we're talking about. We're not getting online SHIT.
Killing each other for example. Managing stamina, climbing, stealth, paragliding, runes, bow and arrow and other weapons. Same as other regular single player games got online competitive modes, such as GTA or Uncharted. I feel like the physics + terrain are just too much fun to pass on the opportunity.

Online co-op ok I concede. But at least local co-op. If BotW as a series is made to break classic Zelda conventions.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
One piece I would really like to see expanded upon in this game in building a house. Even though it was mostly pointless in the first game aside for some weapon storage I still liked going to my house in game regularly. It would be nice if they made more of a reason to go home.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It surely will be a holiday 2020 title, with Metroid Prime 4 being Nintendo's "big" title for 2021.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting the time skip to be somewhere around 5 years, enough for kids to grow up and things to change, but not so much that the events of the first game feel distant.

Tarrey Town will be destroyed by an earthquake, perhaps a side effect of the castle lifting off the ground, and Bolson and company will move to Castle Town, loosely established during the time skip, with a large questline to build a new city on the ruins of the old one. Impa dies and Paya has been thrust into leading Kakariko Village with some questline involving recruiting Yiga clan members, as the clan has begun to fall apart after the events of the first game. All of Kass' daughters are now rebellious teenagers who have run away from home and there's a quest to find them all around the world and tell them to go home and see their parents. Stuff like that to bridge the familiar to the new in clever ways.

I'm betting that Link and Zelda will both be playable and play substantially differently and sometimes, but not always, travel together. So it could be a situation where you have to team up to tackle a dungeon but can also wander off alone if you choose to, with the other character free to do their own thing, like in GTA V.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Part of me wonders if we'll have a Light World/Dark World dynamic. Where you have to navigate both of them at the same time to accomplish a goal, Zelda in one and Link in the other.

God, I wish we had some actual information on this game. I want to know more so badly.
After watching more trailer analysis I don't think the underground/dark nature of the trailer is necessarily an indicator of game tone or mechanics. I think it's a pure story point showing Ganondorfs return and how that happens, nothing more. The last scene showing Hyrule castle lifted is probably the biggest clue, but everything is still possible. Will the castle be whisked away to a new land? Will Hyrule be flooded? Of course a dark world dynamic is possible too but I don't think the trailer is hinting at that. I think the main takeaway is; Ganondorf is back, Zelda and Link journey together (hopefully hinting at 2 player coop, AI controlled companion, or both, but might just be intro too), Hyrule castle is getting moved. As for whats happening to Link theres lots of room for speculation. Zelda having short hair points to her being playable but it's no guarantee.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to guess it's going to be a holiday 2020 title. The base design for the world and characters are there. So the game design won't take too long. Plus it will be focused on the Switch so no more time spent on developing for multiple hardware this time around.

Also considering that they have a snippet of a story trailer out there means that they already have started this for quite some time.