• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I can do that. It'd be a combo "here are all the tidbits that have been revealed" + "this is what I think we can infer from the trailer" thread. It won't be until tonight, though. I'm going to work soon.
Thanks, I appreciate it! Always loved to read your articles back in the old Zeldainformer days :)

Muras

Oct 28, 2017
So if I'm piecing everything right...

The body is the hero of Hyrule from 10,000 years ago who wielded the master sword to defeat Ganon. And dark energy from Ganon's defeat is seeping into him taking over/reviving his body. Ganon in human form = Ganondorf.

So wouldn't that might suggest the energy hitting Link right now, might be the Original Heroes soul attaching himself to Link for some cool equipment attachment all while being Link's companion for the game like that concept art someone shared suggests?
Well, as I said, I personally think the corpse is just straight up Ganon/Ganondorf. No idea about who the hand/arm is that's "plugging" the malice pouring out from him though. It could be a previous Link, but I'd probably bet on it just being an original character.

I do get where some people are coming from with the mural thing though, but I think it's more of an artistic choice from the designers where they're trying to mimic primitive art styles which were limited in their color palettes. After all, Zelda's skin color in that mural is also red, but we know she doesn't have red skin. I just think it's an artistic choice.

I think some people are getting the history we know from BotW a little mixed up though. Based on what's said in the game, the return of Calamity Ganon 100 years prior to Breath of the Wild is at least the third time Calamity Ganon has shown up in Hyrule. If you recall the story, it's said 10,000 years ago they basically had the Divine Beasts and Guardians ready for Ganon before he returned, and he was sealed away like he was a joke. They knew he was coming, because Calamity Ganon had already attacked further in the past at one point. The stuff in the murals you see throughout the game is from at least the second time Calamity Ganon showed up, because they knew about him even back then. So it couldn't have been the event that created Calamity Ganon, but it was the first time Sheikah Tech was used on him, which is why 100 years ago didn't go so well, since Ganon learned from it and was expecting it.

This is more or less explained in the Impa cutscene:

The blue hand/arm looks to me like it's the reason Calamity Ganon exists, since Calamity Ganon is the result of Ganondorf. The blue hand/arm is either the cause of the outpouring of malice or perhaps Ganondorf went too far with something and the arm is holding back the result of that. Whoever's arm it is, it has likely been there for a lot longer than 10,000 years. I think the story will uncover some things about "Ganon's transformation into malice", as the King of Hyrule put it (Cutscene before you get the paraglider).

Part of me wonders if we'll have a Light World/Dark World dynamic. Where you have to navigate both of them at the same time to accomplish a goal, Zelda in one and Link in the other.

God, I wish we had some actual information on this game. I want to know more so badly.
I was literally thinking the same thing on this too, where one world influences the other just like the Light/Dark worlds, and you have to play as both in each world to progress in the game.

I feel Zelda may be playable in some form because of her shorter hair, as weird as that sounds. I feel it makes it easier for 3D modelers and animators to work with shorter hair when it comes to armor systems like Breath of the Wild since you don't know what armor combination a player might select. It's not impossible of course, it's just easier. Shorter hair would essentially make her model mechanics work much more similar to Link this way.

If she's not playable... Then Nintendo is pretty deaf. People made a lot of noise about wanting to play as a female character, either as female Link or Zelda, back when BotW was still being shown at events...

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
It's unclear how much of the game would involve "revisiting that Hyrule again" (could just be the early parts), but the way he talks about revisiting the same setting but with new gameplay and story sounds a lot like the first game's map will be reused a lot.

I'm okay with this. ONE more game in the same engine/map with some changes based on what happens under the castle and then people can have whatever they want after that haha.

It took me a bit when watching the trailer to realize it was the castle lifting UP not falling down. Which makes sense considering the glyphs or hylian under the castle where Ganon was spelled out like Sheikah Lab or something when people were theory crafting back when BOTW had first come out.

That combined with the fact that the HUGE pillars pop up around and Zeldas Diary: "...we have still yet to find all of the Guardians. Records mention a greater number of them—and even other types. They are said to be stored in five giant columns that rest beneath Hyrule Castle. The thing is... No matter how I search beneath the castle, I can't seem to locate these columns. They must be buried deep. Were they perhaps designed to sense the appearance of Calamity Ganon and to only activate upon his return?"

So there's still some underyling tech and even a possibly 5th guardian we haven't gotten to. There's lots of room to mess with the world here as the Sheikah towers already lifted out of the ground so combine more towns/more people + changed landscape with Sheikah tech and I'm all over it.

If she's not playable... Then Nintendo is pretty deaf. People made a lot of noise about wanting to play as a female character, either as female Link or Zelda, back when BotW was still being shown at events...
Especially when they seem to be writing either a perfect plot for them both to do something (cue the famous "What would Link do" interview) but also setting up a situation that might result in Link being out of commision from whatever he got touched by. My GF and I would never need another Zelda game again if they gave us co-op Link and Zelda, but I'll temper my expectations and probably expect both of them being switchable.

However even if she's just an AI companion or they pull an ICO I'd be really happy to see the game get more Zelda/Link time.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I really would love a playable Zelda; it would be interesting to have a speaking protagonist in a Zelda game for one. Plus, gameplay-wise, Link already is strong af by the end of BOTW. Zelda has just been reawakened; thematically it would make sense for her to have to grow!

I'm really excited to see what they do with this... I'm really hoping for a "Dark World" Hyrule or literal Depths of Hyrule setting. "Depths of the Wild" has a nice ring to it, too.
Oooh now that's a fun title, especially if they are going to have an underground world. It'd fit within the classic trope of the game world having some element of duality, obviously explored with Dark World/Light World in Link to the Past, Lorule/Hyrule in Link Between Worlds and Child timeline/Adult timeline in Ocarina.

I imagine it wouldn't quite be a parallel world, but something which radically alters the Hyrule we know from Breath of the Wild. I think it's interesting they end the reveal trailer on that shot of the castle as seen from the Great Plateau - I think that's a hint that while this is a world we've explored before, it's not really going to be too familiar to us. I'm also hoping for playable Zelda in some capacity - maybe even swapping between Link or Zelda.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Wonder what graphical improvements they'll be able to bring as they won't have to release the game on the Wii U.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Well, as I said, I personally think the corpse is just straight up Ganon/Ganondorf. No idea about who the hand/arm is that's "plugging" the malice pouring out from him though. It could be a previous Link, but I'd probably bet on it just being an original character.

I do get where some people are coming from with the mural thing though, but I think it's more of an artistic choice from the designers where they're trying to mimic primitive art styles which were limited in their color palettes. After all, Zelda's skin color in that mural is also red, but we know she doesn't have red skin. I just think it's an artistic choice.

I think some people are getting the history we know from BotW a little mixed up though. Based on what's said in the game, the return of Calamity Ganon 100 years prior to Breath of the Wild is at least the third time Calamity Ganon has shown up in Hyrule. If you recall the story, it's said 10,000 years ago they basically had the Divine Beasts and Guardians ready for Ganon before he returned, and he was sealed away like he was a joke. They knew he was coming, because Calamity Ganon had already attacked further in the past at one point. The stuff in the murals you see throughout the game is from at least the second time Calamity Ganon showed up, because they knew about him even back then. So it couldn't have been the event that created Calamity Ganon, but it was the first time Sheikah Tech was used on him, which is why 100 years ago didn't go so well, since Ganon learned from it and was expecting it.

This is more or less explained in the Impa cutscene:

The blue hand/arm looks to me like it's the reason Calamity Ganon exists, since Calamity Ganon is the result of Ganondorf. The blue hand/arm is either the cause of the outpouring of malice or perhaps Ganondorf went too far with something and the arm is holding back the result of that. Whoever's arm it is, it has likely been there for a lot longer than 10,000 years. I think the story will uncover some things about "Ganon's transformation into malice", as the King of Hyrule put it (Cutscene before you get the paraglider).

That's a really interesting take! I guess that means the hand tech/magic/character predates the Sheikah tech from the original Breath of the Wild. I'm so curious to find out what it is and what this all means!

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
I would put my bets on Death of the Wild releasing in 2020.

I think Monolithsoft is working on a new original Zelda and the main Zelda team is working on this sequel. It's less exciting being a sequel, but it should mean we'll see it a lot sooner than the usually 5-6 year release cycle.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019

I think Monolithsoft is working on a new original Zelda and the main Zelda team is working on this sequel. It's less exciting being a sequel, but it should mean we'll see it a lot sooner than the usually 5-6 year release cycle.
Didn't you first say 2021? What changed your mind

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Name possibilities:

- Depths of Malice
- Hand of Light

So far what seems clear/likely is:

1. The game's intro/beginning is Link and Zelda exploring the previously undiscovered depths underneath Hyrule Castle
  2. Link gets an 'upgrade' in the form of a possessed and/or empowered arm, likely replacing the Sheikah slate for him as he no longer needs it and can just use the rune powers naturally now (also leaving it open for Zelda to use). Also gives an easy excuse for new powers beyond the previous runes. He does not lose his arm though - it just glows with the power when he's using it.
  3. The body is Ganondorf, and the malice in BotW was sourced from him. Honestly I think it would boost the story of BotW to explain that what we fought there was just a build up of malice from the sealed away body of Ganondorf, rather than Ganon himself.
  4. There will be dungeons - Hyrule Castle style or otherwise, with an emphasis on underground ruins and ancient temples
  5. Playable Zelda / Zelda playing a role in the adventure herself. (Ok this is a bit more questionable, but if Nintendo is hesitant to put her in as playable in a mainline game, then this sort of sub-game followup would be ideal and low-risk for them). Link with his magic arm and sword skills, Zelda with the Sheikah Slate and her powers aligned with her sealing magic. Link's arm getting new powers though would kindof leave Zelda with the old slate at a disadvantage and be kindof boring, so either the slate will get new rune powers too, or Zelda's magic will be able to do much of what Link's powers can do (+ things Link can't do)

My current theorycrafting:

• The glowing arm is the spirit of the ancient hero depicted in the BotW mural (who may have in fact been Ganondorf), straining to hold back the sealed malice. Bonus points for it being the remnants of good Ganondorf's uncorrupted spirit struggling to hold back the evil striving to possess his own corpse for the last 10,000+ years. Nintendo will probably keep things simple and have it be the spirit of the ancient hero, rather than have the idea of a 'good' Ganondorf, but it's fun to speculate.
  • Zelda and Link have to flee from the malice once Ganon wakes up. The overworld gets changed/modified both through geographic changes like mountains opening up, rivers shifting, and new ruins and entrances being revealed.
  • Ganon pulls a mummy revival and recovers a more healthy and rejuvenated appearance. How quickly that happens is up to Nintendo, but a slower transition over time where you could defeat him before he has fully rejuvenated (or after) would be neat.
  • After Link/Zelda are forced to escape, Ganon looks over the still mostly devastated Hyrule and sees a land ripe to remake as he desires - cue Dark World sorts of morph effects and monsters

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
2020 is totally legit if the Pro model releases around then. Could be a big selling point, play it best on switch pro

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Link left handed again, if the right arm is gonna be used for mechanics... hmmm.

I hope for proper sailing, and if the castle really goes to the sky, some skydriving a la Skyward Sword.

Get the best of all games and slam them here, baby.

Oct 26, 2017

hmm i would think monolithsoft is working on this game not something else. this sequel is going to be just as large as the first breath if not larger.
all hands on deck for this one.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck do you guys remember the Monolithsoft art with the floating islands/town and the temple with the statues? Could this be that?

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
hmm i would think monolithsoft is working on this game not something else. this sequel is going to be just as large as the first breath if not larger.
all hands on deck for this one.
If the rumor I saw was true, it would indicate that the game wouldn't be as large as BotW and doesn't actually take place in the same Hyrule. What makes you think it'll be larger than BotW?

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what graphical improvements they'll be able to bring as they won't have to release the game on the Wii U.
Hah, me too!

But considering what they pulled off on the wii u, and the switch being much more powerful, i think we dont have to worry about it

Holy fuck do you guys remember the Monolithsoft art with the floating islands/town and the temple with the statues? Could this be that?
Wow what art?

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Nintendo must know people want to play as Zelda. But every game you play as Link and certainly there are people that expect that too, just as they expect to always control Mario in Mario games, Samus in Metroid games, etc. To me the very best solution is also the hardest to implement; 2 player coop, or one player with AI and you can play as either one. I want combat and puzzle mix-ups and cooperation. They had this working with Wolf Link and it's really fun to journey with a helpful companion. Also some of Zeldas best moments are with 2 characters. WW had dungeins with an AI companion. Zelda fights with you in a couple finales. It'sclearly an idea they have revisited several times.

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I almost screamed watching that trailer. Botw is a really special game to me and i'm excited to get more of it

Anyway I think this game could possibly release at three different time periods( barring a delay, obviously)
Summer 2020- knowing that ac is march and assuming oddysey 2 is planned for next holiday's then this could make from having the big games spread out throughout the year( kinda like 2017). Only issue is that this seems to soon based on how little we know now. Although they don't need e3 to do a massive blowout on zelda. And they could always reveal more at the game awards.

Holiday 2020- this is a bit more generous to what we know about this game. Little tidbits throughout 2020, leading to a 2016-botw -style blowout at e3 would be great marketing and makes revealing it now make a lot more sense. and if smo2 also releases during the holiday, than it would make a great one-two punch to counteract next gen.

Spring 2021- Zelda games take a while to release so this makes sense. This also means that it takes the same spot as botw did. The problem I see with this is that it seems we've seen some cut scenes from this game, which is in stark contrast to other announced super far in advance games like metroid and pokemon. If this was a planned 2021 release than i feel it would be revealed at a later date like a direct in 2020 or the game awards. also, king zell has a near perfect track record and he hinted that this was 2020. (plus i need this game asap)

Overall i have no clue when this releases.
Based on the 192D/203D comment, I think this will be 2020.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
here is something interesting

hqdefault.jpg

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Nintendo/Aonuma has already said they don't want anyone else than Link as a playable character in mainline games, especially since he's established since decades. They've also said they'd be happy and looking to have other main characters in spinoffs.
I'm not sure why there's still that debate.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
would be cool if the castle lifting out of the ground means that there will be a bunch of underground shit that lifts out of the ground all over the map so while the map would be the same it'd be different enough to make exploration feel new again

and also larger underground areas to explore with creepy catacomb vibes

if this is 2020.......I'm expecting March 2021 for the anni

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017

People have been wanting Zelda to be playable since OOT because of Sheikh. It's not anything new, it's just what their vision of the game is vs what fans want. It's gonna be a longshot

Oct 26, 2017
If the rumor I saw was true, it would indicate that the game wouldn't be as large as BotW and doesn't actually take place in the same Hyrule. What makes you think it'll be larger than BotW?

well they painstakingly created the entire open world, they dont want that to go to waste.
im pretty sure we will have that entire area to play in again with new areas, and dungeons obviously.

i dont mind if we never get to play as anyone else than Link.
Sure it would be oki to be able to play as Zelda, but im not holding my breath for that to happen. Link is enough imo

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all need to stop thinking Monolith is leading here or something. They're not developing a sequel on their own, nor are they doing the concept art for this.

Then hiring for Zelda is very likely for just exactly what they did with BotW - world design

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
they painstakingly created the entire open world, they dont want that to go to waste.
im pretty sure we will have that entire area to play in again with new areas, and dungeons obviously.

Nah they should move it to an entirely new area somehow. If they reused the assets to create a new world ala majora's mask, I'd be fine with that, but just reusing the map? Nah. The game being set in the same open world but modified would be a massive downside for me. This isn't some budget Yakuza game , this is a sequel to a 10m+ huge franchise that's more popular than it has ever been.

My biggest disappointment with the botw dlc is that it only added things to the map instead of adding a new area like I foolishly assumed when I bought the season pass early. I never even bothered to really play the dlc as a result. I hope they don't do anything of the sort for a full sequel.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Soo, had the time to let the schock of surprise BotW sequel sink and fly through a good part of this thread.

I guess the ruins Zelda and Link roam through are some Shiekah dungeons ... remember OoT, Shiekah love to build their stuff beneath royal things.
If Aonuma and his team try to add dungeons to the BotW formula via sub-terran stuff, it's fine with me. Though the dungeons absolutely need to have some amount of vertical freedom ... aka let me climb a bit in there, too.

Zelda definitely looks playable. And if not, she has to be heavily involved in the gameplay. Trailer focuses too much on her for just being captured by Ganondorf yet again.

Awesome findings from the people, this really looks like they're retooling some stuff from BotW's planing phase for the sequel. ^^

And given that these cutscenes are prolly ingame and they're doing the Majora's Mask asset-recycling, then i could absolutely see this as their big holiday 2020 title.

Though as always, i'll wait for them to be ready, if it's later or delayed, no problem.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a given that you play this game as Zelda?
Shorter hair which would be easier to animate.

Link looks to be getting his life force sucked away to revive Ganondorf perhaps?

I'm placing all my marbles on this being a Zelda protag Zelda game. I think maybe the developers noticed the mods for playable Zelda, and the desire for playable Zelda DLC.

Pat

Oct 27, 2017
Would be great if new power-ups from that new green hand replace basically permanent items. First thing I thought seeing this is that this could serve as some kind of magic hookshot.

I don't really mind the durability, but I would definitely prefer to have the Master Sword unbreakable and all "items" (and based from older games) are coming from that glowing hand. Make everything else destructible if you want, as long as I can play with the Master Sword and that glowing hand as long as I want.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
We should start coming up with name ideas.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Hand of Malice

I do wonder if the will keep BOTW as part of the title for recognition.

Hm could have an animal like the Sand Seals to use. Could also have links arm turn into a boat motor as he stands on his shield. And Zelda gets a wakeboard app on her tablet.

Legend of Zelda: Edgy Dark Title of the Manchild

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since the reveal I keep coming back to this one title for the sequel:

Legend of Zelda: Depths of the Wild

Would keep the name in line with the first one and differentiate it enough to recognize it as a sequel. Also the name is cool imo

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Not sure if this has already been discussed but the headband and red eyes are very Vaati like
EdL1VCt.png

PINEXrV.png

Gold headband with a red jewel also the red eyes

Jun 27, 2018
Stockholm
Cool! Haha, fucking nintendo move to make this really cool tease, build the suspense and end it with some plain text that may as well have been written by an accountant.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me wonders if we'll have a Light World/Dark World dynamic. Where you have to navigate both of them at the same time to accomplish a goal, Zelda in one and Link in the other.

God, I wish we had some actual information on this game. I want to know more so badly.
Feels like wishful thinking but I'd be down for it. Zelda could take place in the alternate world utilizing the Sheikah Slate, while Link's new arm could be utilized on the terraformed regular Hyrule.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I've seen at least one site say Grezzo are working on Link's Awakening alongside EPD, so the bulk of the EPD Zelda team(s) have likely been at work on this since late 2017/early 2018. They hired some staff for the Zelda team about 9 months ago, so I'm assuming pre-production and prototyping and the game concept were done by that point. Monolith Soft hired staff to support development for a new entry in the Zelda series about 3 months ago - they're not leading development or making their own entry. The fact we've had a reveal 3 months after the Monolith Soft hirings suggests to me that development has really ramped up now.

I'd agree with those saying Nintendo are aiming for late 2020 but don't want to commit to it. I'd be surprised if we see this again before E3 2020.

Oct 30, 2017
This is kind of a false equivalence for a couple of reasons; the first being that Master Chief and Kratos aren't expressly designed as "avatars" the same way Link is. The fact that - up until Breath of the Wild - you were able to name him, meant that you were supposed to project onto him, and his character in the game was traditionally a blank slate with not much character, outside of games like Wind Waker. Because of that, it should come as no surprise that people have been wanting a female version of the character for the longest time.

Then there's also the other point that Zelda has almost always been the more interesting "character" in this series, and has been depicted multiple times as a capable person who's able to hold her own, so people naturally expect there to eventually be a game where she gets to be the one to do the adventuring. If Princess Peach can be playable in Mario games, I see no reason why Zelda can't get the spotlight, if only for once. The time seems perfect for it, because Breath of the Wild is now less concerned with making Link an avatar for the player and more his own autonomous character.

If Link is a blank slate and zelda is the more important narratively, then playing as her would change the dynamic of the player character in relationship to the story. Would she then become a blank slate?

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
I wouldn't mind a more linear and emotional story this time -- something like what BotW's Switch presentation trailer was teasing but didn't deliver in the way we were thinking. No more memories, dog.

Taking cues from RDR2 is a good sign, I think.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Still holding out hope it isn't Ganon/Ganondorf. I saw earlier people mention that Ganondorf giving up his immortality for power was a mistranslation, but I can't find anything to corroborate that, so Ganon reviving again kind of takes the wind out of the victory from BOTW.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I'll end up being a bit disappointed if they don't really stick to a darker tone overall. I think it makes sense for the sequel game to pursue a darker tone and stick with it.

I've gotten 600 hours of BOTW in, I've spent tons of time in that overworld.

Now give me my 600 hrs in an underworld.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen at least one site say Grezzo are working on Link's Awakening alongside EPD, so the bulk of the EPD Zelda team(s) have likely been at work on this since late 2017/early 2018. They hired some staff for the Zelda team about 9 months ago, so I'm assuming pre-production and prototyping and the game concept were done by that point. Monolith Soft hired staff to support development for a new entry in the Zelda series about 3 months ago - they're not leading development or making their own entry. The fact we've had a reveal 3 months after the Monolith Soft hirings suggests to me that development has really ramped up now.

I'd agree with those saying Nintendo are aiming for late 2020 but don't want to commit to it. I'd be surprised if we see this again before E3 2020.
I think this seems about right.