• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone has more articles detailing the development of this project, please share it with me so I can update this. :)

IGN interview with Fujibayashi (December 15, 2017)

"I can't say at this point if it will be in sequels or in continuations, or what form it will take, but I definitely have lots of ideas and lots of motivation right now," Fujibayashi told IGN.

"I think while we were working on both the main game and the DLC, it was a process of constantly getting lots of different, new ideas as we refined the game, and finding new things we wanted to do," he added. "Even in situations like this, talking to people and finding out that people want to pet dogs gives me a lot of motivation, a lot of ideas for things we could put into the game."

Aonuma's statement in Zelda: Breath of the Wild Master Works artbook (December 17, 2017)
Aonuma confirmed that production of the new Zelda title has already begun by this point in time.

IGN Interview with Aonuma (December 27, 2017)
With so much freedom and so many potential solutions, we asked Aonuma if his experiences watching Breath of the Wild videos have impacted his thinking for future Zelda games, or if he'd rather return to a more linear design.

"You know, I can't speak to what other people, other companies will do in their own games, but I think for me, especially just in terms of the Zelda series, the incredible freedom that this game offers you and how well that's been received...to me, it means that freedom, that level of freedom is something that needs to be maintained in Zelda games going forward. My eyes have been opened to how important that is," Aonuma said.

"So one of the things that we definitely consider is that we always wanted to make sure the player could understand what their challengers or what their hurdle is. We always wanted to make sure the challenge could be challenged. So we always wanted to make a linear way of [overcoming] a hurdle."

"So for example, if there was like, 'you can't do this because you don't have the right tools' or 'you don't meet the certain requirements,' players are going to not want to do that anymore. So we wanted to very much incorporate that."

"Going forward, I think we would definitely consider that way of thinking when we create something in the future," he added.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Still holding out hope it isn't Ganon/Ganondorf. I saw earlier people mention that Ganondorf giving up his immortality for power was a mistranslation, but I can't find anything to corroborate that, so Ganon reviving again kind of takes the wind out of the victory from BOTW.
I don't think there is any implication that Ganon was destroyed for good in BotW. The hero and princess from 10,000 years prior were only able to seal Ganon away under much more favorable circumstances. The Link and Zelda of the present didn't have access to any new power or weapon that would have made it possible to stop Ganon's cycle of ressurection.

After so many games, I think the idea that Ganon will always be back is a given at this point.

rokero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if this has already been discussed but the headband and red eyes are very Vaati like
EdL1VCt.png

PINEXrV.png

Gold headband with a red jewel also the red eyes
As much as I want Vaati that corpse hast to be Ganondorf or some other Gerudo because of the Gerudo sigil on his jewelry

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I don't think there is any implication that Ganon was destroyed for good in BotW. The hero and princess from 10,000 years prior were only able to seal Ganon away under much more favorable circumstances. The Link and Zelda of the present didn't have access to any new power or weapon that would have made it possible to stop Ganon's cycle of ressurection.

After so many games, I think the idea that Ganon will always be back is a given at this point.

The intended meaning of the line was ganon has given up resurrecting as a human and is just coming out as pure rage. Not that he will no longer be resurrected at all

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I just want the Triforce trio to team up against a different evil. I want this to get shonen as fuuuuuuuuck.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll end up being a bit disappointed if they don't really stick to a darker tone overall. I think it makes sense for the sequel game to pursue a darker tone and stick with it.

I've gotten 600 hours of BOTW in, I've spent tons of time in that overworld.

Now give me my 600 hrs in an underworld.
For real. It could be a huge underground cave system the size of Hyrule. Imagine huge caverns like the one Gandalf and the balrog fall into in the beginning of The Two Towers. Then they could keep the overworld with minor changes that you could go to if you wanted.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Link is a blank slate and zelda is the more important narratively, then playing as her would change the dynamic of the player character in relationship to the story. Would she then become a blank slate?
I don't think it would, and I think this is an odd concern. Again, the issue in the blank slate scenario has less with wanting to play as Zelda and more about wanting to play as a female Link. The reason I suspect most people latch onto the opportunity to play as Zelda in this game is because for one, Aonuma has been aware for a while now that people want to play as a female lead, and two, Link in BOTW has become more of a defined character who's had some character building made for him. You no longer name him, and he has a fairly set backstory for himself as one of Zelda's champions and her personal bodyguard, so I don't doubt that a playable Zelda would lose her traits. The prospect of having to save Zelda yet again, and so soon after she was basically locked up for a century, just isn't that compelling.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it would, and I think this is an odd concern. Again, the issue in the blank slate scenario has less with wanting to play as Zelda and more about wanting to play as a female Link. The reason I suspect most people latch onto the opportunity to play as Zelda in this game is because for one, Aonuma has been aware for a while now that people want to play as a female lead, and two, Link in BOTW has become more of a defined character who's had some character building made for him. You no longer name him, and he has a fairly set backstory for himself as one of Zelda's champions and her personal bodyguard, so I don't doubt that a playable Zelda would lose her traits. The prospect of having to save Zelda yet again, and so soon after she was basically locked up for a century, just isn't that compelling.
Personally i dont care about playing as a female, however if they gave her some cool abilities that worked in tandem with link, like some cool magic attacks etc. They could really make it interesting. Like a swap on command button where she is needed for certain puzzles etc. It would all have to be in service of the gameplay though, that is all i care about.

Edit: or even better have them have to swap in real time. Say a certain enemy is only beatable when zelda uses some kind of spell, and then link is able to damage them as a result.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
We should start coming up with name ideas.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Hand of Malice

I do wonder if the will keep BOTW as part of the title for recognition.

I think "of the Wild" works for part of the subtitle, similar to "of the Tomb Raider" for this last trilogy.

So...

Legend of Zelda: Corruption of the Wild
Legend of Zelda: Dusk of the Wild
Or stealing from another poster:
Legend of Zelda: Death of the Wild

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
For real. It could be a huge underground cave system the size of Hyrule. Imagine huge caverns like the one Gandalf and the balrog fall into in the beginning of The Two Towers. Then they could keep the overworld with minor changes that you could go to if you wanted.

Yeah.

Or I would be down for something like Metroid Prime 2 where you traverse dark and light areas as well.

But the opposite of BOTW where the "shrines" lead up to pockets of the overworld, maybe with some changes like more rebuilt sections of the overworld would be great.

Either way I want lots and lots of caves/dungeons in this game.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
After watching more trailer analysis I don't think the underground/dark nature of the trailer is necessarily an indicator of game tone or mechanics. I think it's a pure story point showing Ganondorfs return and how that happens, nothing more. The last scene showing Hyrule castle lifted is probably the biggest clue, but everything is still possible. Will the castle be whisked away to a new land? Will Hyrule be flooded? Of course a dark world dynamic is possible too but I don't think the trailer is hinting at that. I think the main takeaway is; Ganondorf is back, Zelda and Link journey together (hopefully hinting at 2 player coop, AI controlled companion, or both, but might just be intro too), Hyrule castle is getting moved. As for whats happening to Link theres lots of room for speculation. Zelda having short hair points to her being playable but it's no guarantee.

Holy shit. Coop Zelda would be awesome.

Oct 28, 2017
I think "of the Wild" works for part of the subtitle, similar to "of the Tomb Raider" for this last trilogy.

So...

Legend of Zelda: Corruption of the Wild
Legend of Zelda: Dusk of the Wild
Or stealing from another poster:
Legend of Zelda: Death of the Wild
The Legend of Zelda: Rise of the Wild
The Legend of Zelda: Shadow of the Wild
The Legend of Zelda: Dawn of the Wild
The Legend of Zelda: War of the Wild

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm calling it now, Calamity Ganon is like Urizen, the shriveled-up body is like V. Ganondorf tried to give us his human form for more power, but still got his ass beat by Link & Zelda. The two parts will form back together to give us the return of the true Ganondorf.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read all of the discussion but it looked a lot like the glowing arm/hand keeping Ganondorf (presumably) dead was running out of strength due to the malice, and Link's hand beginning to glow clearly seems to suggest he's gonna have to be the one to replace that hand.

I don't know if this supports or hurts the playable Zelda theory but that's just what it looked like to me.

Oct 26, 2017
Zelda being short haired is interesting... maybe we do get to play as her. But I'm not holding my breath for it. It doesn't make or break the game if we don't get to play her

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Ending the subtitle with "of the wild" only works if the overworld is full of wildlife again, which may or may not be the case. Starting with "Breath of" is more open ended; Breath of Darkness, Breath of Malice, Breath of Shadow, etc.

But for every direct follow up so far (AoL, LA, MM, PH, ST) the names have been totally unconnected and unique. Thats probably what we will see.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What does Zelda lore say about Link's ethnicity, does he have to be Hylian? I mean, that mummy/corpse/whatever you want to call it, clearly bears the symbol of the Gerudo, but at the same time we clearly see a red-head battling Calamity Ganon in the cutscenes/boot-up art alongside a blonde Zelda. Could it be that this specific incarnation of Link 10,000 years ago was a Gerudo?

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
What does Zelda lore say about Link's ethnicity, does he have to be Hylian? I mean, that mummy/corpse/whatever you want to call it, clearly bears the symbol of the Gerudo, but at the same time we clearly see a red-head battling Calamity Ganon in the cutscenes/boot-up art alongside a blonde Zelda. Could it be that this specific incarnation of Link 10,000 years ago was a Gerudo?
For starters, if every Link is the spirit of the first, cursed by Demise, Hero reborn, how could could it be some Link and still be alive or whatever you call that state.

Secondly, the shadow on the wall looks a lot like Demise, being attacked by the arm that holds the body down. He has fangs and the same jewelry Ganondorf wears.

I think the real question is, whose arm is that?

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
For starters, if every Link is the spirit of the first, cursed by Demise, Hero reborn, how could could it be some Link and still be alive or whatever you call that state.

Secondly, the shadow on the wall looks a lot like Demise, being attacked by the arm that holds the body down.

I think the real question is, whose arm is that?

Another possibility is the arm being an ancestor of Zelda fulfilling a sealing role.

Given the likelihood that Link inherits the glowy arm thing though, it seems unlikely to be a Zelda ancestor (why not give the power to her then?). If it's not the spirit of an ancient hero, then i'll go with a new character.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Another possibility is the arm being an ancestor of Zelda fulfilling a sealing role.

Given the likelihood that Link inherits the glowy arm thing though, it seems unlikely to be a Zelda ancestor (why not give the power to her then?). If it's not the spirit of an ancient hero, then i'll go with a new character.
I thought about that and maybe it's silly, but that arm, its silhouette on the wall, looks too aggressive / menacing to be Hylia/Zelda related. But who knows, maybe some Zelda great great grandmother got fed up and devised the arm of doom to lock him down.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

kotaku.com

Breath Of The Wild Sequel Producer Won't Say If You Can Play As Zelda

When Nintendo teased a sequel to Breath of the Wild at the end of yesterday’s Direct, it left everyone with one big question: Can you play as Zelda? Legendary series producer Eiji Aonuma knows the answer. He’s just not saying.

He also asked how many playable characters, and got no answer. Why did he even accept any interviews?

So it seems playable Zelda and even coop or AI companion is still a possibility.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

C.Tsubasa

Nov 8, 2017
The plan was that this game is a 2020 game, dont know if things changed since than, i didnt even know that its gonna be showen this E3.

What i heard was another game and that didnt happen, am not sure if that was bad source or that Nintendo changed their plan for the show.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Don't get your hopes up about playable Zelda just from that interview; it's possible that there's merely plans for a short Zelda or co-op mechanic that won't last very long or something.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
The plan was that this game is a 2020 game, dont know if things changed since than, i didnt even know that its gonna be showen this E3.

What i heard was another game and that didnt happen, am not sure if that was bad source or that Nintendo changed their plan for the show.

Would be happy for this to be released in 2020. Hopefully the source knows enough. But as you said things can change