• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the info Zell. That is certainly intriguing and makes you wonder what other game was supposedly going to be there instead.

Really hoping this makes 2020 though!

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

kotaku.com

Breath Of The Wild Sequel Producer Won't Say If You Can Play As Zelda

When Nintendo teased a sequel to Breath of the Wild at the end of yesterday’s Direct, it left everyone with one big question: Can you play as Zelda? Legendary series producer Eiji Aonuma knows the answer. He’s just not saying.

Aonuma is dumb to do that because he's giving false hopes to both sides.
But then again, he'd get people mad anyway. Lose/lose situation, but I can't see Zelda being playable (or at most, more than some side segment like Ashley in RE4 or Medli in WW).
The plan was that this game is a 2020 game, dont know if things changed since than, i didnt even know that its gonna be showen this E3.

What i heard was another game and that didnt happen, am not sure if that was bad source or that Nintendo changed their plan for the show.
Interesting.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
The plan was that this game is a 2020 game, dont know if things changed since than, i didnt even know that its gonna be showen this E3.

What i heard was another game and that didnt happen, am not sure if that was bad source or that Nintendo changed their plan for the show.

Good to know. Even if it doesn't come out in 2020 (saying "in development" definitely gives them leeway to go for a 2021 release without it being a delay) it's a relief that it's probably well into production at this point.

Cause people are focusing on wrong things. Link as the only playable character is fine!

I think the two most interesting things to ask right now from what we've seen is "is this game set in Hyrule and if so how much of the game world will be different from BotW?" and "you can see Zelda cooperating with Link in the trailer; what is her role in the game, and is she playable?". Just because you'd be fine with just Link (I'd also be "fine" with that, whatever that even means) doesn't mean it's not an interesting question to ask.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cause people are focusing on wrong things. Link as the only playable character is fine!
Well, personally I don't want co-op in my Zelda games. Zelda is a singleplayer game first and foremost, but I would be cool with playing another character for a short time, for example in Wind Waker's Earth and Wind temple. The whole game centered around multiplayer or multiple characters like a MMORPG would ruin it for me.
I think the two most interesting things to ask right now from what we've seen is "is this game set in Hyrule and if so how much of the game world will be different from BotW?" and "you can see Zelda cooperating with Link in the trailer; what is her role in the game, and is she playable?". Just because you'd be fine with just Link (I'd also be "fine" with that, whatever that even means) doesn't mean it's not an interesting question to ask.

Yes, that's true.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a given that you play this game as Zelda?

It will never be a given, this is Legend of Zelda we're talking about here lol

Every entry (including the BoTW DLC), we all hope it'll happen, and it never does. Assuming it will just off of a hair change is just asking for disappointment.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Link as the only playable character is fine!
When he has the personality of a piece of cardboard no it's not as that's so easily swappable.
M090btX.gif

I don't wanna have to wait months for modders to do what Nintendo is too afraid/backwards to do:

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Well, personally I don't want co-op in my Zelda games. Zelda is a singleplayer game first and foremost, but I would be cool with playing another character for a short time, for example in Wind Waker's Earth and Wind temple. The whole game centered around multiplayer or multiple characters like a MMORPG would ruin it for me.
Me neither, though I'd love to see a spin-off where we can play as different Zelda characters with similar gameplay as the main games (so excluding Hyrule Warriors). Personally, I'd love to see a Triforce Heroes where you can choose to play as different Zelda characters.

Oct 26, 2017
Haha that is true, he does kind of look stiff 🤣

anyway, sure I wouldn't mind playing as Zelda for once but they been damn strict to never let that happen...

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For starters, if every Link is the spirit of the first, cursed by Demise, Hero reborn, how could could it be some Link and still be alive or whatever you call that state.

Secondly, the shadow on the wall looks a lot like Demise, being attacked by the arm that holds the body down. He has fangs and the same jewelry Ganondorf wears.

I think the real question is, whose arm is that?

Not sure if I understand you correctly. Do you mean how it's possible for two separate Links to exist simultaneously? Twilight Princess already did that, with the playable Link and the Hero's Shade as NPC.

As for your second point, that thing being Demise or more probably Ganondorf is almost a given, especially with the Gerudo symbolism and the red hair one would have a hard time arguing it isn't him. But my main point is that it's interesting that when Impa talks about the legends 10,000 years ago, it clearly shows someone with red hair when she talks about "a warrior wielding the soul of a hero", while at the same time clearly showing (the incarnation of) Zelda to have light coloured hair.

It's also interesting that she says A hero, instead of THE hero. Could be that I'm looking to much at semantics, but maybe that hero was never an incarnation of Link to begin with. Maaaybe it was even this Gerudo we see in this trailer, but he got corrupted or otherwise has a grudge? Maybe he got corrupted after dying and having been buried beneath the castle. Something like that would make for a much more interesting story than him just turning out to be Ganondorf. After all, Aunoma compared it with Majora's Mask, and that one didn't have Ganon or his other forms.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
People need to start asking him the right questions
Like, they will change the world ? Not that he will respond, but just to see if he gives a hint to us

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I understand you correctly. Do you mean how it's possible for two separate Links to exist simultaneously? Twilight Princess already did that, with the playable Link and the Hero's Shade as NPC.
I don't agree with this. Link is the only one that sees the shade and he fights him in a weird place disconnected from the world. It can pretty much be interpreted as him fighting a part of himself/his soul.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Nah there well aware by now how many people want a playable Zelda(or a female Link) and how tired people are of her being a damsel.

Showing her adventuring side by side with Link only to sideline her again would be a dick move.
We've had multiple threads in the past about this issue, and even multiple polls. It always come back to some 50/50 result, and Nintendo has said their opinion about that multiple times too.

Zelda being a damsel in distress (which she isn't in multiple games) is a completely different debate and has nothing to do with her being playable or not.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've had multiple threads in the past about this issue, and even multiple polls. It always come back to some 50/50 result, and Nintendo has said their opinion about that multiple times too.

Zelda being a damsel in distress (which she isn't in multiple games) is a completely different debate and has nothing to do with her being playable or not.
Anyone who'd have a problem with playable Zelda can get over themselves.

Oct 25, 2017

whats the consensus on Zelda in BOTW? i dont think she is necessarily a Damsel in distress

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Anyone who'd have a problem with playable Zelda can get over themselves.
Good argument.
I'm not sure you can blame game creators (or any kind for that matter) for wanting to stick with a single character as a main character (bolded because obviously playable segments don't count).
whats the consensus on Zelda in BOTW? i dont think she is necessarily a Damsel in distress
There's no real consensus.
There's the fact that she's single handedly holding Ganon down for 100 years, and the fact that you must still help her. She's not one imo, but she's not exactly without issues. Link is the hero obviously, but in nearly all games he wouldn't succeed without Zelda's help.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017

Looks like few people knew about BOTW2

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Yes, except I can't find anything to back that up. I'm seeing a few notes that say the japanese version and other languages were even more final on the ending, but that's Reddit and who knows how accurate that is.
Legends of Localization uncovered it not that long after the game released. You should also note that the English-translation post-battle cutscenes contradict what's said when Ganon takes on his beast form, as this link points out - Zelda says "Ganon is gone for now".

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Good argument.
I'm not sure you can blame game creators (or any kind for that matter) for wanting to stick with a single character as a main character (bolded because obviously playable segments don't count).

I don't think they're talking about developers thinking about technical difficulties as much as they are gamers who hate the thought of a playable Zelda lol

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
On the playable Zelda front - I'm not sure what Aonuma gains from being cryptic. He was cryptic back in 2014 when asked about the possibility of a female Link and I think he later regretted giving fans false hope (he mentioned this in a 2016 interview). He has also remarked in the past that they considered making Zelda playable, because at least part of the fanbase want it, but they weren't sure what role that would leave for Link. Maybe they've figured out a way to balance playing as two characters - they've experimented with that kind of idea in Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks, maintaining single-player gameplay but having other playable characters accompany Link (including the spirit of Zelda in the latter case).

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I don't think they're talking about developers thinking about technical difficulties as much as they are gamers who hate the thought of a playable Zelda lol
Developers can make choices based on something else than technical difficulties, yes.
That's why they're game creators, and not just code monkeys (I say that as a dev).

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Legends of Localization uncovered it not that long after the game released. You should also note that the English-translation post-battle cutscenes contradict what's said when Ganon takes on his beast form, as this link points out - Zelda says "Ganon is gone for now".

Thanks! Still doesn't make me feel any better about Link/Zelda not getting a true win after all of that, but good to know it is not contradictory.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Developers can make choices based on something else than technical difficulties, yes.
That's why they're game creators, and not just code monkeys (I say that as a dev).

Nobody's disputing that, though lol. What that person said above--or at least what I think they said--is that if gamers or even devs think "ew I don't want to play as Zelda" rather than having an Actual Reason, they're ridiculous. Not "devs can and should make playable Zelda always and any excuse is stupid", y'know?

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the Zelda subreddit:

pkrx0wvppx331.png

Seems incorrect on multiple fronts.

The hand to me isn't holding him there it's grasping something on his chest, maybe trying to stop the releasing of the miasma or accelerating it.

Secondly you see link with the same colored arm, it plays into the theory it binds to him in some way.

It saving Link/Zelda doesn't allow him to go free as you still see the hand on the chest which is in direct opposition to the shadow on the wall.

It seems whomever tagged these scenes is misinterpreting them.

P.S. A hand trying to keep something down would be laid flat on the chest not grasping the protrusion.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody commenting on the new water effects in the cave.... Looks great!!

Also, knowing the trailer lacks chronological continuity on purpose would it be out of the realm of possibility to believe the elevation of Hyrule Castle happens first? Which prompts Link and Zelda to explore why?

Either way I'm suuuuper excited for this!!

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Nobody's disputing that, though lol. What that person said above--or at least what I think they said--is that if gamers or even devs think "ew I don't want to play as Zelda" rather than having an Actual Reason, they're ridiculous. Not "devs can and should make playable Zelda always and any excuse is stupid", y'know?
Sure, but I'm not sure that the reason "I'd like her in" is an argument good enough in the same way.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but I'm not sure that the reason "I'd like her in" is an argument good enough in the same way.

Correct, the argument "I want her in" is poor. You aren't the creative force behind this art. What you "want" is to continue to be entitled.

When did art become what I want versus what the crafter/creator is trying to evoke/reveal/explain?

This is the world we live in though.... The vanity of individualism.

Zelda isn't a damsel in distress and for the last few games has made the conscious effort to sacrifice herself/freedom to battle Ganon.

Zelda may not be able to beat Ganon on her own but when has Link?

They are characters in a story how the creators wish to use her is their decision.

I personally love playing females in games (more specifically fighting games) yet I have no desire to play as Zelda.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I think "of the Wild" works for part of the subtitle, similar to "of the Tomb Raider" for this last trilogy.

So...

Legend of Zelda: Corruption of the Wild
Legend of Zelda: Dusk of the Wild
Or stealing from another poster:
Legend of Zelda: Death of the Wild
I keep saying it, Demise of the Wild. That Red haired mofo has taken over Ganondorf's malice and he is ffucking pissed.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Legend of Zelda: Edgy Dark Title of the Manchild

I hope this is a joke and not an insult at me for just wanting some good old fun from the days of the Bridle Of Melancholy "leak".

I think "of the Wild" works for part of the subtitle, similar to "of the Tomb Raider" for this last trilogy.

So...

These are great!

When he has the personality of a piece of cardboard no it's not as that's so easily swappable.

I found link got a nice personalty boost in Zelda's Diaries. IIRC he is like that in her memories because he is under pressure of living up to the standards of literally being the goddess' chosen hero. We probably would have seen more personality in him if the quest log was translated properly.

So it turns out that not only the king and Zelda keep their diaries, Link also has a diary of his own - the quest journal. In the JPN ver of BOTW journal entries are written in first person/Link's perspective, whereas in the US ver it is written in the game/system's perspective.

For example, in the entry after locating all 13 memories it goes something like this:

JPN (I) remembered all the things we've been through. Even just a little bit sooner, (I) wish to see her smiles again with my own eyes

compared to

US You've visited all 13 locations shown in the pictures, go save her as quickly as you can to ease her burden.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Well keep saying it but the red haired mofo is Ganondorf and Ganondorf is the reincarnation of Demise.

So I'm unsure what you are saying exactly...
Breath of the Wild is basically the final stop on the timeline, in a traditional sense. Ganon is reduced to nothing but pure malice, probably unable to be properly resurrected, and also likely not being able to die. Unless of course Demise escapes his imprisonment and releases ganon of the curse. Coincidentally Demise's prison is also the Master Sword, which we see in the trailer. I find it highly unlikely they let us start the game with it in tact as well. And with how weakened it was for 100 years, who is to say Demise didn't use his connection to ganondorf to properly come back?

bo'dastalie

Jun 12, 2019

So...

Legend of Zelda: Wraith of the Wild

is the only correct answer...

DharmaBum

Sep 5, 2018
I'm curious if this was the original plan when BoTW was in development or if Nintendo is reacting to the extremely positive reception the game received and this is basically a stop-gap before whatever comes next for the franchise.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Correct, the argument "I want her in" is poor. You aren't the creative force behind this art. What you "want" is to continue to be entitled.

When did art become what I want versus what the crafter/creator is trying to evoke/reveal/explain?

This is the world we live in though.... The vanity of individualism.

Zelda isn't a damsel in distress and for the last few games has made the conscious effort to sacrifice herself/freedom to battle Ganon.

Zelda may not be able to beat Ganon on her own but when has Link?

They are characters in a story how the creators wish to use her is their decision.

I personally love playing females in games (more specifically fighting games) yet I have no desire to play as Zelda.

Zelda not only gave link the weapon that defeated Ganon in BOTW she landed the killing blow herself. aren't TP and SS the only recent Zelda's where she did not directly fight Ganon with link? I feel she is active in it more then not anymore.