• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this game will borrow more from Zelda 2 than MM. Story wise at least, MM wasn't a direct sequel, at least not as much as BOTW2 seems to be. The last time we had a direct continuation of the story of Hyrule with the same Link and Zelda was Zelda 2. The tone certainly is darker with blood rituals and all

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to go explore underground and the underground flips upside down to where you come out the other side into another world. I saw this in a horror movie I watched recently. They went deep underground. Ending up exiting the underground into a new world on the other side.

Can you give me the name of the movie? Just curious.

EDIT: Never mind, I saw your response to another poster.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So they're totally gonna come up with a BS reason to make the master sword way less viable despite Link getting upgrading it, aren't they?
Probably, but you know what would be an easy fix for this. Only playable Zelda. If Link got trapped in with Ganondorf, holding him off or just fridged he could keep the Master Sword with him and thus Zelda wouldn't have it for the rest of the agme. Would make for a dope scene if and when we finally go to face Ganondorf as her Link is at his breaking point and gets knocked out and then Zelda picks up the Master Sword to face off against Ganondorf and/or continuing the role reversal Link uses his hand magic like Zelda has used her light magic to help subdue/weaken Ganondorf and Zelda wields the Master Sword for the killing blow. Alternatively if Zelda did get the Master Sword from the start since she's not proven herself worthy yet it's power could be dormant and she'd had to overcome some trials to earn it like WW Link did.

But more realistically they'll probably pull some shit and break the sword or poison it with malice or something and we'll have to repair/cure it. Hell it would be funny if they just make Link drop it or lose it in the opening segment and then not get it back until we face of against Ganondorf and get it back early or mid fight.

Jan 15, 2019
Probably, but you know what would be an easy fix for this. Only playable Zelda. If Link got trapped in with Ganondorf, holding him off or just fridged he could keep the Master Sword with him and thus Zelda wouldn't have it for the rest of the agme. Would make for a dope scene if and when we finally go to face Ganondorf as her Link is at his breaking point and gets knocked out and then Zelda picks up the Master Sword to face off against Ganondorf and/or continuing the role reversal Link uses his hand magic like Zelda has used her light magic to help subdue/weaken Ganondorf and Zelda wields the Master Sword for the killing blow. Alternatively if Zelda did get the Master Sword from the start since she's not proven herself worthy yet it's power could be dormant and she'd had to overcome some trials to earn it like WW Link did.

But more realistically they'll probably pull some shit and break the sword or poison it with malice or something and we'll have to repair/cure it. Hell it would be funny if they just make Link drop it or lose it in the opening segment and then not get it back until we face of against Ganondorf and get it back early or mid fight.
To be honest, people would probably be more upset about never playing as Link than they would about never playing as Zelda.

That said, The green stuff affects his right hand, and Link is right-handed in BotW, so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that affects his ability to use the master sword, or any sword, for a good chunk of the game.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
To be honest, people would probably be more upset about never playing as Link than they would about never playing as Zelda.
Meh, most would get over it fairly quickly. Some people are dumb, especially when it comes to women in games and media. Not worth worrying over. There'd be a lot of sound and fury from typical degenerates about SJWs and feminists ruining gaming and society and what not, but most won't care in the end or at all, especially once the game is out and receives all the accolades again.

People have been begging for a Sheik game for 21 years now. Just show her in some custom Sheikah Stealth Armor with the OoT style Sheik mask in a trailer and most will jump on board real fast.

Jan 15, 2019
Meh, most would get over it fairly quickly. Some people are dumb, especially when it comes to women in games and media. Not worth worrying over. There'd be a lot of sound and fury from typical degenerates about SJWs and feminists ruining gaming and society and what not, but most won't care in the end or at all, especially once the game is out and receives all the accolades again.

People have been begging for a Sheik game for 21 years now. Just show her in some custom Sheikah Stealth Armor with the OoT style Sheik mask in a trailer and most will jump on board real fast.
Oh, I don't think the issue is about playing as a guy or a girl in this case. It seems that most of the Zelda fanbase actually wants a playable Zelda. I just don't think they want a game where getting to play as Zelda also means you don't play as the lead character of the series at any point.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I remember when I was 100% certain that Groose was a teenage Ganondorf. Speculation is fun.

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
Man so is the Zelda team really taking Gannondorf hair design from the one in Hyrule Warriors that already has me excited to see him again Loved that look on him.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about you, but I'd much rather return to doing dungeons in a fixed order if that means more challenging, proper dungeons. It was a nice change of pace to mix it up a bit in BOTW by being able to do them in any order, but the simplicity as a result really isn't worth the tradeoff in my opinion.

Yeah I agree. The dungeons in BotW were just kinda pathetic.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Oh, I don't think the issue is about playing as a guy or a girl in this case. It seems that most of the Zelda fanbase actually wants a playable Zelda. I just don't think they want a game where getting to play as Zelda also means you don't play as the lead character of the series at any point.
Either or. No difference, people would get over it. And those who wouldn't aren't worth working about

If Nintendo were really concerned about it they could make Link playable in the intro segment before Zelda takes over and then pull an Arkham City and let us play in the post game world and freely switch between Zelda and Link.

It's not going to happen, but it's the perfect time/setup to do it.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I haven't been reading too much into this stuff because I always feel it's just best to wait for the game - but the idea that some force steals Link's life force to resurrect Ganondorf and you play as Zelda to save him - that sounds fucking awesome, dude..

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao yep that's the movie.

Just FYI-

they don't wind up in "a new world", they wind up back in their original world. The movie is a modern retelling of Dante's Inferno, where they basically travel through "hell" and wind up right back where they began, which makes it fit with the "As above, so below" title. It's really cool conceptually how it's done, they basically travel down to the lowest point and then when they go further down they're actually traveling back up without realizing it. It's one of my favorite horror movies, though I kinda dislike the whole "found footage" aspect, I wish it had a fixed camera.

Anyway enough derailing, I would love some extensive underground exploration in this game.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
If this Ganon looks anything like that 'rehydrated' fan art, then the only other game I would expect him to be connected to is Skyward Sword and the eternal undying curse of Demise.

NintendoBlackCrisis has an interesting video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upVTRVfRIUI) that basically boils down to the thought that though Link will start this game with the Master Sword, it will not be enough to defeat this actual Ganon and need to be powered up in conjunction with the green magic to the strength it actually was 10,000+ years ago.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
4l33x50dmr531.png

If they actually implement monsters similar to this concept art in those underground caverns... gonna be some pants-shitting moments for sure

Oct 26, 2017
The translated text is very unconvincing, I haven't seen an example that puts the letters side by side with the alphabet yet.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
found this pretty interesting and on point:

That is interesting, but I think they make more than a few errors.

First, they associate the trident with Phantom Ganon, even though it is LttP's Ganon who is the most iconic trident wielder.

They mention the "Seal Ganon" text, which I'll buy as being the right translation, but don't really justify the idea that it is the Sages who made that text or seal. Also, Twilight Princess was the game where Ganondorf never truly became Ganon, King of Evil, and his Ganon form was secondary, so it is odd for the text to call him Ganon rather than Ganondorf.

They talk about the pose being from Twilight Princess, but it the head back position more resembles Ganondorfs posture when Link stabs him in the head at the end of Wind Waker.

I simply don't agree that the sound or movement of Mummydorf's head at the end of the trailer is a neck snapping back into place. It is the sight and sound of a desiccated mummy turning to face its victim. It is totally normal monster movie stuff, not a timeline reference.

Also, the talk of Ganon's Tower is interesting and even a little plausible, but self-contradictory as that tower never existed in Twilight Princess.

Also, the reference to the Twilight Realm in BotW is highly inconclusive, as per Twilight Princess's own description of the place it should have existed prior to any OoT timeline splits, and thus could exist in any timeline. BotW also references every previous game anyways.

I think BotW2 will likely continue its predecessor's habit of just taking liberally from every previous Zelda game and using the parts it likes.

nightopian

Oct 25, 2017
My take on the introduction.

Things start dying again in Hyrule. Plants, etc.
Others suspect there is something underground.
Link and Zelda begin exploring and find a temple with Ganondorf sealed inside.
This is the source of Calamity Ganon.
Ganondorf senses the other parts of the Triforce and awakens.
Parts of Hyrule including the castle rise in the air, creating new dungeons and craters to explore.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is interesting, but I think they make more than a few errors.

First, they associate the trident with Phantom Ganon, even though it is LttP's Ganon who is the most iconic trident wielder.

They mention the "Seal Ganon" text, which I'll buy as being the right translation, but don't really justify the idea that it is the Sages who made that text or seal. Also, Twilight Princess was the game where Ganondorf never truly became Ganon, King of Evil, and his Ganon form was secondary, so it is odd for the text to call him Ganon rather than Ganondorf.

They talk about the pose being from Twilight Princess, but it the head back position more resembles Ganondorfs posture when Link stabs him in the head at the end of Wind Waker.

I simply don't agree that the sound or movement of Mummydorf's head at the end of the trailer is a neck snapping back into place. It is the sight and sound of a desiccated mummy turning to face its victim. It is totally normal monster movie stuff, not a timeline reference.

Also, the talk of Ganon's Tower is interesting and even a little plausible, but self-contradictory as that tower never existed in Twilight Princess.

Also, the reference to the Twilight Realm in BotW is highly inconclusive, as per Twilight Princess's own description of the place it should have existed prior to any OoT timeline splits, and thus could exist in any timeline. BotW also references every previous game anyways.

I think BotW2 will likely continue its predecessor's habit of just taking liberally from every previous Zelda game and using the parts it likes.
Yup. They even said BotW takes place so far in the future from all the other games that they are considered myth. Any direct resemblance to past games is just fan service to those games. The fact that there is an official time line is just Nintendo trying ham fist shit together after the support for fan theory timelines grew too big.

While it's fun to speculate, I doubt this corpse is any Ganondorf we saw in previous games. I do like the theory that he is the original hero from the tapestry 10,000 years ago.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way they had a story cutscene ready to go before they had a decent amount of work already done on the game. Nintendo never puts story first.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Damn, I haven't been reading too much into this stuff because I always feel it's just best to wait for the game - but the idea that some force steals Link's life force to resurrect Ganondorf and you play as Zelda to save him - that sounds fucking awesome, dude..
The idea of Link's life force reviving Ganon was the main threat in Zelda 2 - and since BotW was a modern Zelda 1...

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
People saying this will be out in 2023 are dumb. Nintendo learned their lesson with BotW and wouldn't announce a Zelda game so far in advance. It's going to be their 2020 Holiday title. Also, this hasn't just started development, I'm sure they started it in Q1 2018 at the earliest, right after DLC 2 for BotW, having already been in development for a year and a half.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People saying this will be out in 2023 are dumb. Nintendo learned their lesson with BotW and wouldn't announce a Zelda game so far in advance. It's going to be their 2020 Holiday title. Also, this hasn't just started development, I'm sure they started it in Q1 2018 at the earliest, right after DLC 2 for BotW, having already been in development for a year and a half.
Who said 2023?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Yup. They even said BotW takes place so far in the future from all the other games that they are considered myth. Any direct resemblance to past games is just fan service to those games. The fact that there is an official time line is just Nintendo trying ham fist shit together after the support for fan theory timelines grew too big.

While it's fun to speculate, I doubt this corpse is any Ganondorf we saw in previous games. I do like the theory that he is the original hero from the tapestry 10,000 years ago.
Yeah this is where I'm at. Just like all the speculation of BOTW I think it's obvious they're moving away from confirmed Timeline stuff.

There was already a line in BOTW to say "he once took the form of a Gerudo" and everything else to compensate for why it's ganon and why he's down there, but I'm still curious if this is literally the Ganon at the end of BOTW or a separate corpse.

Ganon's body was a monstrosity because we broke in before he was "done cooking" to become himself again, but also they seem to be under the castle as the castle lifts out of the ground while they're down there (which could just be clever editing).

With that info + the fact that the runes in the place under the castle read "Sheikah Lab" If I recall correctly I'd say it's either the original Ganondorf in this new BOTW time, the same corpse being put back to the seal, maybe fallen under the castle due to the fight and resulting destruction that they're trying to find and make sure is down for good, or it's a ganondorf that came after the original and was experimented on or sealed by the Sheikah.

Zelda timelines are fun. Either way I'm in, and I hope that Ganondorf is a character again this time.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a theory. The "malice" isn't coming from Ganondorf's body, it's coming from the sacred realm/dark realm, using Ganondorf's body as a conduit. He was "used" by the Sheikah (or whomever) to be a seal to close off the sacred realm after it was turned into the dark realm (by him, presumably).

So the malice, all of the monsters from BotW, and Calamity Ganon itself are all just "echoes" of the evil that is waiting in the sacred realm trying to break through into Hyrule, and once the seal is opened and Ganondorf wakes up, Hyrule becomes completely engulfed in the sacred realm/dark realm/whatever they call the second world now.

That'll wind up changing the landscape and structures and all of that radically so that it will still seem like a familiar world but at the same time be very different.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah this is where I'm at. Just like all the speculation of BOTW I think it's obvious they're moving away from confirmed Timeline stuff.

There was already a line in BOTW to say "he once took the form of a Gerudo" and everything else to compensate for why it's ganon and why he's down there, but I'm still curious if this is literally the Ganon at the end of BOTW or a separate corpse.

Ganon's body was a monstrosity because we broke in before he was "done cooking" to become himself again, but also they seem to be under the castle as the castle lifts out of the ground while they're down there (which could just be clever editing).

With that info + the fact that the runes in the place under the castle read "Sheikah Lab" If I recall correctly I'd say it's either the original Ganondorf in this new BOTW time, the same corpse being put back to the seal, maybe fallen under the castle due to the fight and resulting destruction that they're trying to find and make sure is down for good, or it's a ganondorf that came after the original and was experimented on or sealed by the Sheikah.

Zelda timelines are fun. Either way I'm in, and I hope that Ganondorf is a character again this time.
Windwaker Ganon: best Ganon!

I'd like something like that again, just no voice acting please.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That is an interesting take about placing the body back. With the shadow thing showing the hand attacking what looks to be a live form of Ganondorf, I'm not sure that would be the case. Regardless, this teaser has me more intrigued about the possibilities than that BotW E3 trailer.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
What I want most from the sequel:

- Playable Zelda
- Temples/large dungeons, even if it's only a few
- Changes to the world/new part of the world to explore
- Story on the level of Wind Waker

I know it'll be amazing because it's mainline Zelda, but this would make it incredible. Haven't kept up with speculation as much, but is the current theory that we'll be exploring the underground mostly?