• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will we see Breath of the Wild’s sequel before the original’s 5th Anniversary?

• Yep, and before the end of the year!

Votes: 163 29.0%
  • Yeah, early next year sounds right

Votes: 90 16.0%
  • Maybe, could launch right around the same time in March

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Nope, it’s a Summer or Holiday 2022 game

Votes: 140 24.9%
  • Maybe we all just dreamed this game was announced

Votes: 53 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
cOps9z0.png

Release Date: 2022
Developer: Nintendo EPD
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo Switch

Welcome to the Development Thread for the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild! Here we will track all the updates, rumors, and general discussion surrounding this new game. Since its surprise announcement at E3 2019, we have been left with a very cryptic trailer and little else to go on, save for a few scant details. As time goes by and we learn more information, I will work to compile it here and help foster discussion.

**Please note this thread will contain spoilers for the original Breath of the Wild**
Redefining a Legend- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's Release and Reception

The_Legend_of_Zelda_Wii_U_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNJjoeBT78QIaYdkJdEY4CnGTJFJS74MYhNY6w3GNbO8.jpg

"This is the new world of Zelda. It's quite a vast world isn't it? You can even reach those mountains in the distance, if you walk far enough. We couldn't create such a wide world like this in the past. As far as what you can do with such a vast field to explore, as soon as those boundaries are removed, it means you can enter any area from any direction. So the puzzle solving in this game begins the moment the player starts to think about where they want to go, how will they get there, and what they will do when they arrive. This is a clean break from the conventions of past games in the Zelda series, where you had to follow a set path, and play through the scenario in the right order. I believe this departure will create opportunities for new game-play that have not been experienced in previous Zelda games."
—Eiji Aonuma, E3 2014

After a lengthy development, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild released for the Wii U and as a launch title for the Nintendo Switch on March 3rd, 2017. The game was an immediate critical and commercial success, scoring a 97 average on Metacritic and quickly becoming the best selling entry in the series, at one point even outselling the Nintendo Switch itself. The game went on to achieve several Game of the Year awards, including Resetera's own, and is generally considered the consensus Game of the Year of 2017, a year notable for a high number of quality releases.

The game was widely praised for its beautiful and massive handcrafted world, designed in such a way to encourage continuous exploration, its nonlinear approach to both progression and problem solving, and its chemistry engine that allowed the player to interact with the world in unique and creative ways. Series lead Eiji Aonuma has indicated that this template (dubbed "Open Air") will likely be the norm for the series moving forward.

Naturally, fans were left wondering what was next for the newly reinvigorated Zelda series. Many fans anticipated a "Majora's Mask style" follow up to Breath of the Wild, one that would take the assets and engine, and rework them into a new and unique experience that would differentiate itself from it's predecessor. On June 11th, 2019, we received confirmation that a direct sequel to Breath of the Wild was indeed development, and from the teaser trailer, it does appear to indeed be a darker take on the original.

What We Know

We have very few confirmed details about this game right now, but this section will be updated as new information becomes available.

• This game will be based on the same world as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Eiji Aonuma told IGN in an interview that "The new Breath of the Wild or the sequel to it, it's not necessarily going to be related to Majora's mask or inspired by it... What we showed you currently is a little darker." However, it is unknown if he meant the game was darker than Majora's Mask itself, or just the original game.
  • Similar to Super Mario Galaxy 2, many ideas from this game were conceptualized as potential DLC for the original game before being reworked into the sequel.
  • Zelda has received a redesign, most notably she has shorter hair than in the original game. This had led to speculation that she may have a greater role to play in this adventure than her previous one.
  • Link is seen interacting with, and perhaps controlling a mysterious magical arm. What this means is currently unknown.
  • On June 15th, 2021, Nintendo released a new trailer for the game, showcasing a lot of new information. This seems to confirm that the magical arm has affixed itself to Link and will be taking the role of the Sheikah Slate in this title, showing new abilities such as a new stasis function, a time manipulation ability, and the ability to phase through solid objects. The game is confirmed to be "expanded to the skies above Hyrule" in addition to the world below, which appears to be a major theme of the game.
  • Link appears to have received a redesign as well, with loose hair rather than a pony tail, and his arm being merged with the magical arm seen in the original trailer. Zelda appears to have been separated from Link following the events of the original trailer, and her role is as yet unknown.
  • Link does not appear to still possess the Master Sword following the events of the second trailer.
Speculation Timeline of Events
  • Several insiders have said that the game is internally targeting a 2020 release date.
  • MonolithSoft tweets a recruitment promotion for their work on a Zelda game on December 17th, 2019. MonolithSoft was heavily involved with the world design of Breath of the Wild and are assumed to be resuming that role for the sequel.
  • On June 28th, 2020, the Spanish VA of Revali indicates that the dubbing may be complete. Transcript from @ReyVGM EDIT: The interview may or may not be serious or Just joking around by the VAs, take with a grain of salt, but I'll keep it here just in case. EDIT 2: More or less confirmed to have been a joke by the source. Edit 3: Or more likely, this was in reference to Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.
  • On September 8th, a video trailer for Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity was released. Eji Aonuma reiterates that they announced development had started during the 2019 E3 presentation. He mentions that it will be some time before they are ready to share new updates on the upcoming sequel. "'In order to make the vast world you enjoyed exploring in the original game even more impressive, the team is working hard on its development."
  • New Trailer announced at E3 2021 showing several new features, Release date of 2022 given.
Characters

cgpEggr.png

The Hero of Hyrule who slumbered for 100 years after sustaining grievous injuries during Calamity Ganon's attack on Hyrule. After reawakening on the Great Plateau, Link journeyed through what remained of the Kingdom of Hyrule, restoring both his strength and his memories in preparation for his confrontation with Calamity Ganon. With the help of the liberated Divine Beasts and the Champions of Hyrule, Link was able to defeat the monstrous Calamity Ganon beneath the castle, and with the aid of Princess Zelda herself, went on to destroy Calamity Ganon's final incarnation, the gigantic boar Dark Beast Ganon.

Thus thanks to the hero's efforts, the evil of Calamity Ganon had at last been purged from Hyrule, and the world could finally recover...

Or so it seemed for a time...

ySVKDtr.png

The Princess and sole survivor of the Royal Family of Hyrule, and one who carries the bloodline of the Goddess Hylia herself. For 100 years, Zelda was held in a stalemate with Calamity Ganon, keeping him sealed within Hyrule Castle and buying the outside world something resembling peace, while she herself remained trapped in the castle as well. Sensing that her power may soon no longer be enough to contain Calamity Ganon, she at last called out for the slumbering Link to reawaken and begin his adventure. Thanks to Link's efforts, Zelda was able to break free of Calamity Ganon's clutches, and after accessing the Divine Power within, she was able to lay the final blow on the beast, annihilating Calamity Ganon at last.

Zelda now travels with Link as they seek to restore the fallen Kingdom of Hyrule. Their journeys have led them to a mysterious chamber, where an ancient but perhaps all too familiar evil lies in wait.

TbC0r7j.png

A withered corpse that lies in the center of a mysterious chamber. This figure appears to produce Malice, a corrosive and evil substance that was believed to be a manifestation of Calamity Ganon's corruption. It was held down by a magical disembodied arm of unknown power and ability. The figure reanimates once the magical arm is removed, and its revival coincides with a catastrophic shift in the world above.

The corpse has a mane of long red hair, and bears the mark of the Gerudo tribe. If ancient legends are to be believed, could this truly be the remains of the one who would bring about the Calamity time and time again, the man once known as Ganondorf?

7SpH1Cb.png

RIP

Game Trailers

E3 2019 Announcement Teaser

E3 2021 Trailer

Ending Note: Please feel free to let me know of any updates or improvements I can make to this or future threads. I have not created one this in depth in the past, so any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda's new haircut gives me life

Make Zelda playable you cowards

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
What if rat is actually the true villain? He's not being consumed by the malice. He is absorbing.

I'm hoping they don't rehydrate Ganondorf during the game. I Dig the shambling corpse thing he has going on in this game.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they show a short glimpse of Zelda being playable at the game awards.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they show a short glimpse of Zelda being playable at the game awards.
That's my hope too, and why I figured it might be time to get the speculation train moving. Nintendo seems to really, really like using the game awards to promote Zelda. Granted, this could be the year of Bayonetta, or Metroid, or Smash Challenger 5, but hey, anything's possible.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I'd be SHOCKED if this game doesn't have co-op or multiplayer of some kind. Co-Op of some kind in Switch exclusive games is almost a guaranteed feature at this point. I'm sure the Switch Lite could throw a wrench in this, but I'm gonna stay in the "yeah Zelda is probably playable because multiplayer" camp.

Like Bayonetta showed us before, short hair is best hair.

This one gets it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Since they're obviously reusing assets, we won't have to wait too long, right? Right?

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to see underground dungeons and caves. That is all I am asking for anything more and I am happy.

Although switching between Zelda and link to solve a puzzle would be pretty cool.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the 'darker than majora's mask' thing was a misquote/misunderstanding? And he was just saying it was going to be a little darker than BotW?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I mean, i'd love for it to be darker than Majora's Mask (and the teaser definitely gives off a darker vibe, that's for sure) but I think that was a misquote, yeah.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Call it DEATH OF THE WILD.

JUST FUCKING DO IT!
I can see that but it sounds like a lesser spin off like Assassin Creed 3: Liberation and not the title of anyone's favourite Zelda. I think it could have Earth in the title and be advertised as its own thing or companion piece like Majora's Mask or Spirit Tracks. That sounds overall more exciting to me.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did he actually say this? I thought this was a big misquote?
I thought the 'darker than majora's mask' thing was a misquote/misunderstanding? And he was just saying it was going to be a little darker than BotW?
The quote I found from IGN from Aonuma was:

"The new Breath of the Wild or the sequel to it, it's not necessarily going to be related to Majora's mask or inspired by it... What we showed you currently is a little darker"

I've edited the OP to clarify.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
My gf and I are desperately hoping that the next BOTW is her and I being able to travel Hyrule together as Zelda and Link. That on top of Majora level quests/story telling would make pretty much our favorite game of all time.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this might hit next year december for their big game. Anyway looking extremely forward to it. I wonder if they will some of the ideas they talked about but scrapped for BOTW 1.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really love the look of the Champion's Tunic combined with the Hylian armor and hope we get to play through the game with our hood down :)
5d20c4756bba4.webp

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Remember Aonuma saying he wanted to break Zelda convention with BotW and one of them was « adventuring alone »
I have high hopes.

Edit:
b9e0807e-8cde-43fe-a14yj0p.png

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Chances we will go to space?

BOTW hinted at it with all the constellation stuff in it, plus where you fought Ganon was called the something Observatory.

I would love if Hyrule Castle and all the Sheikah Towers lifted off into space.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Remember Aonuma saying he wanted to break Zelda convention with BotW and one of them was « adventuring alone »
I have high hopes.

Edit:
b9e0807e-8cde-43fe-a14yj0p.png
It would be very interesting to see how co-op would work in a 3D perspective. Though I would say, on a meta level, Link being alone was a pretty refreshing aspect of Breath of the Wild after about 2 decades of companion character mouth pieces.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
My most anticipated game by far...BOTW is my fav. game of all time so I can't wait to see hey iterate on it and expand it.

Def. will be in this thread 24/7 lol...

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
So it is confirmed that it is the same world? What is everyone expecting? Same world with underground tunnels and new towns on the same map?

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So it is confirmed that it is the same world? What is everyone expecting? Same world with underground tunnels and new towns on the same map?
At the minimum, I'll be severely disappointed otherwise. I hope to see the towns expanded and more lively. Definitely needs some traditional dungeons thrown in as well.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the shift in Hyrule Castle at the end of the trailer may be indicative of a larger shift in the over world, allowing the developers to redesign and tweak some areas, while potentially unearthing new areas like more traditional dungeons in the style of Hyrule Castle. Remember, in the first two Zelda's, the dungeons really were mostly underground. There could also be new islands out to sea to explore.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chances we will go to space?

BOTW hinted at it with all the constellation stuff in it, plus where you fought Ganon was called the something Observatory.

I would love if Hyrule Castle and all the Sheikah Towers lifted off into space.
I think the chances aren't high, but I am so in for that if that's the case. I wonder if Hyrule space would be realistic or more like SpellJammers DnD space.

Ashflow

Feb 13, 2018
US
Oh no, it begins. I like how rat is a character but not the totally new beast of burden.

I am not expecting playable Zelda but I would be relatively happy to have that expectation subverted, especially if she's got her own full moveset/etc. Surpass Spirit Tracks with best Zelda gameplay implementation! Do it!

We thinking a timeskip between BotW and this? I'mma guess 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.