• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will we see Breath of the Wild’s sequel before the original’s 5th Anniversary?

• Yep, and before the end of the year!

Votes: 163 29.0%
  • Yeah, early next year sounds right

Votes: 90 16.0%
  • Maybe, could launch right around the same time in March

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Nope, it’s a Summer or Holiday 2022 game

Votes: 140 24.9%
  • Maybe we all just dreamed this game was announced

Votes: 53 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Not a bad idea, but still feels off to me. Zelda doing research sounds plausible and reasonable, hell it could make for a good role for her within the game as just an NPC we can interact with and get quests and stuff from as she oversees research into combating Ganondorf and the Zonai and just general rebuilding/ruling of her kingdom. But Link sitting on the sidelines cooking or tinkering not so much. Just comes across as a rather flimsy justification/scenario. I'm not sure anything they could come up with could justify him voluntarily not being out in the field while Zelda is.

Aonuma's derided response in 2016 before BotW's release also pops into mind.

It's still dumb overall, though kind of appropriate in this specific scenario, but I doubt his views or feelings have changed much since then. At least in a scenario like on the fly character swapping with an AI companion both would always be present and active in the events so it shouldn't be an issue. Or in a playable Zelda only situation Link would ostensibly be incapacitated or stuck fending off Ganondorf the whole time, which they might feel is a more acceptable scenario. But just voluntarily having Link sit out for a bit seems like something Nintendo wouldn't fly with.

Which is unfortunate. While I technically agree in this situation it feels off, in the future I would like to see some kind of co-op or situation where Zelda is playable without requiring some grandiose reasoning behind Link's absence.
I feel you can base this in a sequel to BotW on Link's excessive cooking adventures in the first game. Like, he could have the "crafting" skillset, while Zelda expands her "reseach" skillset and also asked Link to train her to be better prepared for what lies ahead, now that her father is no longer there to shut her ambitions down.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Imagining how potentially cool it would be if those "hero NPCs" would be more deeply integrated into your mission(s). Like, think light squad-mechanics. Pre-plan something and coordinate with an NPC on a mission (like a search or an attack or an infiltration or an evolution of those Spirit Tracks or previous partner NPC puzzles).

Technically they already did that. Each of those heroes helps you get into the Divine Beasts. All they have to do is make some more missions like that.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't thought about this before, but Breath of the Wild seems, like Wind Waker, to exist in a time where the Triforce has basically been forgotten. Zelda's ancestral magic is only ever referred to as her "sealing" magic, even though when she uses it we see it appears she's invoking the Triforce. It was my interpretation that what she was using at the end of the game was the full on Triforce, though this begs the question of how the hell she got it. In the past, people born with a piece of the Triforce tend to have just that, a piece, and the Triforce only exists within people while fractured, while the completed Triforce is a physical object. There's also some conflicting examples of what happens to the Triforce when used, sometimes it scatters or is perhaps returned to the Sacred Realm, sometimes it hangs around and can be reused.

So that leaves three possibilities in my opinion: 1. Zelda only had the Triforce of Wisdom during Breath of the Wild, which has been passed down through her bloodline 2. The nature of the Triforce has changed and is now able to be passed down through Zelda's bloodline in its entirety or 3. Despite the imagery, Zelda never had the Triforce at all and was accessing the latent power of her Bloodline from being descended from the Goddess Hylia.

Depending on which scenario is valid, or if the devs care to revisit a Triforce related plot at all, that means the Triforce might be back in play, especially if corpse Ganon has the Triforce of Power again.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
I hadn't thought about this before, but Breath of the Wild seems, like Wind Waker, to exist in a time where the Triforce has basically been forgotten. Zelda's ancestral magic is only ever referred to as her "sealing" magic, even though when she uses it we see it appears she's invoking the Triforce. It was my interpretation that what she was using at the end of the game was the full on Triforce, though this begs the question of how the hell she got it. In the past, people born with a piece of the Triforce tend to have just that, a piece, and the Triforce only exists within people while fractured, while the completed Triforce is a physical object. There's also some conflicting examples of what happens to the Triforce when used, sometimes it scatters or is perhaps returned to the Sacred Realm, sometimes it hangs around and can be reused.

So that leaves three possibilities in my opinion: 1. Zelda only had the Triforce of Wisdom during Breath of the Wild, which has been passed down through her bloodline 2. The nature of the Triforce has changed and is now able to be passed down through Zelda's bloodline in its entirety or 3. Despite the imagery, Zelda never had the Triforce at all and was accessing the latent power of her Bloodline from being descended from the Goddess Hylia.

Depending on which scenario is valid, or if the devs care to revisit a Triforce related plot at all, that means the Triforce might be back in play, especially if corpse Ganon has the Triforce of Power again.

I subscribe to #3, mostly as part of my personal headcanon that that the three dragons are the Triforce pieces made flesh.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
this response from Aonuma is baffling.

the team broke Zelda conventions now i want to see they breaking BOTW conventions.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I would be quite surprised if the Triforce didn't play a noticeable, if not central, role in BotW2 if we have Zelda, Link and Ganondorf all at the forefront again. It's just like their thing and while some might find it old and/or tiring a complete omission of it would feel quite weird. Triforce of power is a great way of explaining and justifying Ganondorf's power and mummy state and ability to manifest Calamity Ganon.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

I feel like Nintendo thinks "oh this will be cool" when making Zelda rather than "how does this for into a larger story and lore?"

I don't think they take seriously their story and they think of the whole franchise as sort of glazed over "legend" that is inconsistent and not actually out to say anything important. Actual real life legends are not that different so they have a point.

TLDR: they thought it would look cool and pluck the nostalgia string to show the triforce on Zelda. That's it.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
A lot's happened since 2016 .. I don't think Aonuma would give the same response now.
That would be nice, but I don't think there's a single shred of evidence to the contrary to actually support such thoughts. Unless I missed something I don't think Miyamoto, Aonuma or Fujibayashi have said anything to indicate otherwise since then. To assume otherwise is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I subscribe to #3, mostly as part of my personal headcanon that that the three dragons are the Triforce pieces made flesh.
I hadn't heard that theory before, but that would actually be pretty neat. Didn't the Triforce turn into birds or something at the end of the linked Oracle games?
I would be quite surprised if the Triforce didn't play a noticeable, if not central, role in BotW2 if we have Zelda, Link and Ganondorf all at the forefront again. It's just like their thing and while some might find it old and/or tiring a complete omission of it would feel quite weird. Triforce of power is a great way of explaining and justifying Ganondorf's power and mummy state and ability to manifest Calamity Ganon.
Yeah, that would make sense. I've held the interpretation since the BotW sequel trailer that Calamity Ganon was likely just a coalescence of malice escaped from Ganondorf's body combined with Sheikah technology, and imbued with his destructive nature but not intelligence.
I feel like Nintendo thinks "oh this will be cool" when making Zelda rather than "how does this for into a larger story and lore?"

I don't think they take seriously their story and they think of the whole franchise as sort of glazed over "legend" that is inconsistent and not actually out to say anything important. Actual real life legends are not that different so they have a point.

TLDR: they thought it would look cool and pluck the nostalgia string to show the triforce on Zelda. That's it.
I think this is true in the early stages, and Nintendo in general aren't ones to let lore get in the way of a mechanic or concept they envision. But there has been a definite tendency since Ocarina of Time to contextualize the story of every Zelda game in relation to another Zelda game. Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess are all direct story sequels to Ocarina of Time in different ways, the Four Swords subseries has an internal consistancy regarding Vaati and the Four Sword, The DS games have continuity with Wind Waker, A Link Between Worlds is explicity linked to LttP, etc.

Breath of the Wild is pretty notable because it bucks this trend and seems to intentionally obfuscate how exactly it ties into the overall storyline in the series, but I do think they didn't completely throw canon to the wind. The game has the most callbacks to Skyward Sword of all games, with the continued emphasis on Hylia, allusions to Fi in the Master Sword, and having several direct geographic references. Since the world, engine, mechanics, etc. are mostly done already, I could see the story getting more of an emphasis this time around and dipping back into the well of Zelda lore, especially as the de-emphasis on story for BotW was one of the aspects that was criticized.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
That would be nice, but I don't think there's a single shred of evidence to the contrary to actually support such thoughts. Unless I missed something I don't think Miyamoto, Aonuma or Fujibayashi have said anything to indicate otherwise since then. To assume otherwise is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

the rise of feminism and gender equity together with the number of women in gaming industry and the willingness of the Zelda team to break series conventions.

also the huge sucess of Kassandra in AC Odyssey would be a indicative too of a previously all man series.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
the rise of feminism and gender equity together with the number of women in gaming industry and the willingness of the Zelda team to break series conventions.

also the huge sucess of Kassandra in AC Odyssey would be a indicative too of a previously all man series.
That's not even remotely close to being evidence that their particular individual views have changed.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
That's not even remotely evidence that their particular individual views have changed.

i was kinda trying to show why there's the hope for us, Nintendo devs never showed much thought process on their design so it's really normal the silence unless they are directly asked in an event/interview.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
i was kinda trying to show why there's the hope for us, Nintendo devs never showed much thought process on their design so it's really normal the silence unless they are directly asked in an event/interview.
I get it and I hope for it too. But having hope something might happen and just assuming things have already changed are two very different things. It's people seeing what they want to see and just setting themselves up for a massive disappointment. Exactly what happened with the whole Female Link E3 lanyard debacle.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
I get it and I hope for it too. But having hope something might happen and just assuming things have already changed are two very different things. It's people seeing what they want to see and just setting themselves up for a massive disappointment.

i see this as equal to hoping it will be a better game than BOTW, we have no idea and evidence for this but we take as granted.

it's no harm really. we will get playable Zelda or custom male/female Link at some point. they need inovations.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I hadn't heard that theory before, but that would actually be pretty neat. Didn't the Triforce turn into birds or something at the end of the linked Oracle games?

Yeah, that would make sense. I've held the interpretation since the BotW sequel trailer that Calamity Ganon was likely just a coalescence of malice escaped from Ganondorf's body combined with Sheikah technology, and imbued with his destructive nature but not intelligence.

I think this is true in the early stages, and Nintendo in general aren't ones to let lore get in the way of a mechanic or concept they envision. But there has been a definite tendency since Ocarina of Time to contextualize the story of every Zelda game in relation to another Zelda game. Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess are all direct story sequels to Ocarina of Time in different ways, the Four Swords subseries has an internal consistancy regarding Vaati and the Four Sword, The DS games have continuity with Wind Waker, A Link Between Worlds is explicity linked to LttP, etc.

Breath of the Wild is pretty notable because it bucks this trend and seems to intentionally obfuscate how exactly it ties into the overall storyline in the series, but I do think they didn't completely throw canon to the wind. The game has the most callbacks to Skyward Sword of all games, with the continued emphasis on Hylia, allusions to Fi in the Master Sword, and having several direct geographic references. Since the world, engine, mechanics, etc. are mostly done already, I could see the story getting more of an emphasis this time around and dipping back into the well of Zelda lore, especially as the de-emphasis on story for BotW was one of the aspects that was criticized.
You're right, they do refer to recent Zelda games. Sometimes they even do a direct sequel. But as time goes on they tend to apply the fuzzy legend lense to older games.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
well we know that this is exactly how they approach all of their internal designs. it's never about lore or story. it's always "what kind of gameplay would be fun." there are countless quotes from across the decades from the usual suspects.

re: the broad idea of Zelda getting a more active and likely playable role and why I keep being very confident something on that front is happening...

Elsewhere, Aonuma wouldn't be drawn on whether Zelda might be a playable character, or if the title will support co-op.
"It's kind of interesting that you bring that up," he told IGN, "because in Breath of the Wild, you see Zelda and Link together often too, so to go straight into the thought of co-op is very interesting to me."
He also told Kotaku he "can't say" how many playable characters the game will feature.
-> aforementioned Kotaku piece:
"A lot of people have been asking that, and so I want to ask you, why do people think that?" Aonuma said when I asked him this morning during an E3 interview on the second floor of Nintendo's booth at the Los Angeles Convention Center. He spoke through an English-Japanese translator.

"Well it seems like it'd make sense, because at the end of Breath of the Wild she was freed, so now she can be a protagonist," I said. "Also, I think people have wanted it for a long time."

"I see," said Aonuma. Then he laughed. "But I can't tell you."
this is such an Aonuma move. They're definitely playing with some aspects of this.

At the end of the day, if they find think it makes sense for their current game, they'll do a thing they might have said "nah, can't do" before.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I have a theory that Zelda will play like Link from BotW and that Link will play differently thanks to his arm, if she is indeed in it anyway.

Zelda said how her magic was going at the end of BotW after all.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 4 is the worst Metal Gear, and Bionic Commando (2009) sucked.

What did those games had in common? An arm that had a life of its own.

Please god, don't let BotW2 have something ridiculous like that.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Man don't care about playing Samus, Women don't care about playing Mario, but when it comes to link for some reasons they just can't get into the game. Maybe it's not the character and the game itself. Feels like someone wanting this isn't really invested in the story/lore and a fan would rather see Zelda playable. There is literally nothing to win about a Female link compare to a playable Zelda...

But anywayz, might see the game in 2 weeks so that's exciting.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Man don't care about playing Samus, Women don't care about playing Mario, but when it comes to link for some reasons they just can't get into the game. Maybe it's not the character and the game itself. Feels like someone wanting this isn't really invested in the story/lore and a fan would rather see Zelda playable. There is literally nothing to win about a Female link compare to a playable Zelda...

But anywayz, might see the game in 2 weeks so that's exciting.
That's not what we've been talking about here at all.

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
this is such an Aonuma move. They're definitely playing with some aspects of this.

At the end of the day, if they find think it makes sense for their current game, they'll do a thing they might have said "nah, can't do" before.

You probably remember Aonuma saygin "No one specifically saif it was Link", and it was Link... He just have a weird/polite way to go throught questions he can't answer by laughting and then the fanbase goes crazy.

In the other hand one of the big keypoints he wanted to change a while ago was "playing by itself" so co-op may be a possibility.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
www.resetera.com

HOT GIRL VIDEOS +18 who leaked the cancellation of E3 says she heard of a Direct next week with BOTW2 + Metroid

Our best leaking source lately: She accurately leaked the E3 cancellation days before it happened and before Schreier/Devolver Digital hinted at it. NSFW account obviously.

Just dropping this here for record keeping.

We can only hope, but there is a lot of buzz/rumors lately it does feel like a direct is imminent. Even if games are delayed they have to address it and atleast announce some games. So in any way a direct is coming. Now, will Zelda be there ? Probably. It already skipped 1 direct and Game Awards, so i think they will show some more in this direct. Might not get the name yet tho.

Oct 27, 2017
We can only hope, but there is a lot of buzz/rumors lately it does feel like a direct is imminent. Even if games are delayed they have to address it and atleast announce some games. So in any way a direct is coming. Now, will Zelda be there ? Probably. It already skipped 1 direct and Game Awards, so i think they will show some more in this direct. Might not get the name yet tho.
i feel we'll have have a tase at least with a full blown reveal and their Not-e3 direct to come out this holiday or sometime next year

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
What is this guy's track record with Nintendo stuff? I know he finally got vindication for Half-Life VR after so many years with Half-Life Alyx releasing this week. The Reddit post is poorly sourced but I'll take it at its word for now because speculation is fun.
Unlike the first part, the game will be linear at the beginning. Canonically, Link already knows Hyrule, so there is no point in climbing the towers again

Instead, the developers have filled the world with a miasmic version of Ganon, and until the infection is cleared from location to location, it will be impossible to move around the entire Hyrule

In this regard, the locations are worked out much deeper than in the original. At the very least, McVicker hints at the appearance of dungeons, strongly inspired by one game that knows a lot about spreading dungeons around the open world

In general, while designing the world of Breath of the Wild 2, developers was inspired by Red Dead Redemption 2 (officially known) and another unknown game

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What is this guy's track record with Nintendo stuff? I know he finally got vindication for Half-Life VR after so many years with Half-Life Alyx releasing this week. The Reddit post is poorly sourced but I'll take it at its word for now because speculation is fun.

Bullshit. They are not going to make the world linear or segmented after how much praise BotW got for its freedom.

Everyone and their mothers knew a Half Life VR was coming. Valve said a long time ago that they would make Half Life 3 when they knew they could make something groundbreaking. Well, guess what, Valve is heavily involved in VR development. So everyone made the same connection that they were going to make Half Life 3 for their VR system. The guy's no leaker, he just assumed the same thing a lot of other people did.

Aisod

Mar 21, 2020
Hopefully weapon durability is gone or the weapon durability is a lot longer than in botw. Also dungeons would be nice.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

someone who has multiple industry sources at all sorts of devs does not have info on top secret high level games that goes that deep for multiple studios/publishers. they're either super deep into one company or they're full of shit. this is ultra specific "i literally have a friend on the dev team feeding me stuff" info that nobody is gonna have.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Today's update is: there is no update. Whatever ghost of E3 that happens around June is now likely to be our next best bet.

Heads up, I've been planning to take a little vacation from this site for a while now, but was largely holding out in case the new Direct had new information for this thread. Since I suspect we're in the clear for a while, I think I'll move forward with that plan. If there's any new information on the Breath of the Wild sequel while I'm gone, please definitely keep the thread updated! Hold out hope and see y'all on the other side.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Anyone think Nintendo will use some of their concept art from BotW like those creepy guardians? It feels like they would be more appropriate in this game since it's darker.

MoreEarlyGuardians.jpg

I hope so, they could be underground hidden from the world and when 'Ganondorf' pulls up the castle, etc and the world changes, they can risen from below the earth.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Man, i just had a wild ideia here.
Does anyone here played Bomberman 64?
If not, let me explain! In that game, the final boss "lift" up some land and you have to beat what land remained above in order to reach him. Now, how and why i think Aonuma will play that way here.
1- i think ganon/ganondorf steals your master sword if they really want to mantain the same system of breaking weapons. Why? Its simple, you already have the master sword from the very beginning, so why they would let you keep it? So when Ganon wakes up, Link and Zelda will be knocked out and awake outside of the castle and will take the sword with him. You will only gain acess to it when you are able to be at the castle, and speaking of that...
2- we will only be able to reach the castle in the very end. I really think that this time we will have traditional dungeons that will prevent us to climb any wall because they will come with some bullshit reason (8 dungeons? More?) and when we beat it, the castle will become weaker (if is protected with magic in order to prevent you to reach it) or the castle could even be back at the ground. i also predict the shrines to go back in a different form in order to you gain upgrades.

as Aonuma already stated, the game will be "open-air" but this time you will not be able to directly beat the final boss from the get go. Also,you can take any dungeon in any order, but i predict that they will vary in difficult. I think these monsters of the artwork will be at the game as bosses. Like imagine how cool would be if you beat the dungeon, but you have to kill the boss outside of it because he will start roam the world.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At least for dungeons, there's all manner of tools that could have been used to enforce a more traditional, linear progression, I think the designers just wanted to go in a more experimental direction with how they approached them. Since the call for traditional dungeons is one of the more common requests, I think they'll return in some form. Heck, the DLC divine beast was actually way closer to a traditional Zelda dungeon than the main game beasts. I'm also expecting some massive playground style dungeon areas like Hyrule Castle.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least for dungeons, there's all manner of tools that could have been used to enforce a more traditional, linear progression, I think the designers just wanted to go in a more experimental direction with how they approached them. Since the call for traditional dungeons is one of the more common requests, I think they'll return in some form. Heck, the DLC divine beast was actually way closer to a traditional Zelda dungeon than the main game beasts. I'm also expecting some massive playground style dungeon areas like Hyrule Castle.
Yes to more areas like Hyrule Castle!

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I've been saying this for a while, but underwater swimming would expand Hyrule so much without the need to increase the size of the map. being able to catch fish underwater, discover new locations or recurrent ones like Zora's Domain being completely flooded, or make it so the ocean is a lot more dangerous to swim through and needing to avoid sharks and the like would be so much fun.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Dear god please no

They all look disgusting and nightmare inducing lol

giphy.gif

the teaser trailer was pretty creepy. I want to see some creepy designs!

I've been saying this for a while, but underwater swimming would expand Hyrule so much without the need to increase the size of the map. being able to catch fish underwater, discover new locations or recurrent ones like Zora's Domain being completely flooded, or make it so the ocean is a lot more dangerous to swim through and needing to avoid sharks and the like would be so much fun.

Definitely one of my biggest requests for BOTW2.

A new Zelda will never be truly great until MM-style Zora swimming is re-incorporated.

And, on that note, MM-style Goron rolling.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
It's been over 10 months since we seen any new footage, it's time Nintendo.

(They better not delay the E3 Direct).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope so, they could be underground hidden from the world and when 'Ganondorf' pulls up the castle, etc and the world changes, they can risen from below the earth.
Yep imagine a hidden underground cave or underground cavern underwater with one of these there.

Dear god please no

They all look disgusting and nightmare inducing lol
come on nightmares aren't that bad 😈

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
thats the point

give me a zelda horror game nintendo

or atleast luigi's mansion 1 level of creepy atmosphere
Bottom of the Well from Ocarina was probably the closest to horror the series has gone, and I loved it. I love how the game hints at Hyrule having a dark and troubled distant past, and how the well seems to be some combination of torture chamber (there's literally torture equipment in the central room), and mass grave. And this isn't some rogue evil faction hideout, the Hylian Crests and Zelda's lullaby spell out this was built and operated by the Royal Family. Throw in that Bongo-Bongo, itself implied to be the spirit of a brutally executed man, was sealed there, and the whole area feels like an "eldritch horror born from sins of the past" deal, something Zelda never really attempts again, even in supposedly darker games like Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I just wanna see them put more effort into presentation and give us a nuanced, character driven narrative.

Zelda's never really prioritized story or characterization, but this is their chance to do so and surprise us all. I really want to see them push the boundaries of what Zelda (or heck, a Nintendo game) could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.