• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will we see Breath of the Wild’s sequel before the original’s 5th Anniversary?

• Yep, and before the end of the year!

Votes: 163 29.0%
  • Yeah, early next year sounds right

Votes: 90 16.0%
  • Maybe, could launch right around the same time in March

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Nope, it’s a Summer or Holiday 2022 game

Votes: 140 24.9%
  • Maybe we all just dreamed this game was announced

Votes: 53 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Nice driveby.

But where's the challenge in women playing a male character then? My question isn't whether men should be able to handle gettin male Link taken away from them, my question is why we should take him away in the first place. Whenever I have the option to pick, I often pick the woman as a character. But those options usually stem from games where they didn't retcon a long standing character's gender. They simply don't do that, nor should they have to.

Playable Zelda is the most reasonable thing to do when it comes to a playable female character.

why does Link have to be a woman to identify with her? Back then a lot of characters were male, times sucked for women being represented in games. But that's where he was created. I don't see a reason to retcon a 30 year lasting character's gender. We already have a great character that could be playable who happens to be a woman. She's called Zelda.
1) nobody is arguing against or disagreeing that playable Zelda should happen or is the most reasonable thing to do. we're note even talking about that.

2.a) representation of historically underrepresented groups 101
2.b) there is not retconning. this is basic Legend of Zelda: new game, new Link (unless you have the rare direct sequel with the same one)
2.c) the series is retconning things all the time

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You cant argue that one group wants something to identify with and then take away something another group identified with for literal decades.
Framing the issue as "taking anything away from men" by having one game where Link is a woman in a franchise of like 30 or so games where he has always been a man is unnecessarily hostile.

Furthermore by trying to paint gender swapping as a double standard that equally affects men, you're ignoring the wider double standard in gaming where women still aren't considered as equally viable as men in player character roles and we are- effectively- "forced to identify" with the opposite gender to enjoy the genre to the fullest, and men don't consider this any grave injustice needing to be addressed.

Just as well, it also ignores marginal utility: the more of something there is, the less valuable any individual instance of that thing is. Men as playable characters are a dime a dozen. It is easier for you to find a man to identify with than it is for me to find a woman to identify with, meaning the directions of gender swapping don't carry equivalent consequences.

I don't think you're a bigot. I just think getting worked up over the mere hypothetical of Link being a woman for one game is peak gamer fragility.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Framing the issue as "taking anything away from men" by having one game where Link is a woman in a franchise of like 30 or so games where he has always been a man is unnecessarily hostile.

Furthermore by trying to paint gender swapping as a double standard that equally affects men, you're ignoring the wider double standard in gaming where women still aren't considered as equally viable as men in player character roles and we are- effectively- "forced to identify" with the opposite gender to enjoy the genre to the fullest, and men don't consider this any grave injustice needing to be addressed.

Just as well, it also ignores marginal utility: the more of something there is, the less valuable any individual instance of that thing is. Men as playable characters are a dime a dozen. It is easier for you to find a man to identify with than it is for me to find a woman to identify with, meaning the directions of gender swapping don't carry equivalent consequences.

I don't think you're a bigot. I just think getting worked up over the mere hypothetical of Link being a woman for one game is peak gamer fragility.
I didn't try to frame it as a double standard, it just doesn't make any sense to me. See, I get that representation for women is still something the industry as a whole has work to do on. But, I don't see people asking for female Kratos, Nathan Drake, Master Chief, whatever have you. Things like Crash bandicoot added female characters later on, which is the reasonable thing to do imo. I see a lot of new games giving us the options, I don't see long lasting franchises changing their main characters gender. Or am I missing examples?

I'm not getting worked up over this either. It's just...I don't think there's a justifiable reason to do a female Link when Zelda is right there. A character with just as much history as Link, and a woman. The freaking series is named after her.

1) nobody is arguing against or disagreeing that playable Zelda should happen or is the most reasonable thing to do. we're note even talking about that.

2.a) representation of historically underrepresented groups 101
2.b) there is not retconning. this is basic Legend of Zelda: new game, new Link (unless you have the rare direct sequel with the same one)
2.c) the series is retconning things all the time
Some people seeem to argue they'd want so see a female Link more than just playable Zelda, and I don't get it.

Zelda can represent those groups just as well as a female Link, just that you don't have to retcon stuff for no reason other than to say "got ya" to triggered misogynists and other waste of space. Like, if that's the main reason for wanting this, go ahead I guess.
He doesn't, but it doesn't answer my question. How would it "take away" the character from men?

Like, as a man, I've never identified more with a video game character in the past 30 years as I did with Madeline in Celeste.
Let's be clear here, I didn't start the "take away" wording. And your example is kind of poor, because I could argue that women are just as able to identfiy with a male character as you are with a female one, rendering this entire discussion moot.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't try to frame it as a double standard, it just doesn't make any sense to me. See, I get that representation for women is still something the industry as a whole has work to do on. But, I don't see people asking for female Kratos, Nathan Drake, Master Chief, whatever have you.
Because those are established individual characters in canon. "Link" is just a soul that reincarnates every few generations or so, but there's nothing in the legend that says that soul needs to be a man to be The Hero. Nintendo have written themselves into a situation where they can technically have all types of heroes! But the only reason Link is still a man is because of branding and licensing, and it becomes more and more obvious as time goes on.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be clear here, I didn't start the "take away" wording. And your example is kind of poor, because I could argue that women are just as able to identfiy with a male character as you are with a female one, rendering this entire discussion moot.

I didn't say you started it, but that is what you're arguing:

So if women want a female link because they want to identify with the character they are playing, its ok to take away a character men identified with for over 30 years?
You cant argue that one group wants something to identify with and then take away something another group identified with for literal decades. It really doesnt matter what group that is.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I didn't try to frame it as a double standard, it just doesn't make any sense to me. See, I get that representation for women is still something the industry as a whole has work to do on. But, I don't see people asking for female Kratos, Nathan Drake, Master Chief, whatever have you. Things like Crash bandicoot added female characters later on, which is the reasonable thing to do imo. I see a lot of new games giving us the options, I don't see long lasting franchises changing their main characters gender. Or am I missing examples?

Zelda can represent those groups just as well as a female Link, just that you don't have to retcon stuff for no reason other than to say "got ya" to triggered misogynists. Like, if that's the main reason for wanting this, go ahead I guess.
1) again, you seem to misunderstand or not be aware of fundamentals. Link is not a bespoke character with a clear identity like Kratos, Drake, or Master Chief. Link is a mostly blank-slate player avatar who expresses some vague characteristics through reactions and grunts. A gender swap would be trivial and that is also the reason why a mere gender swapped Link is widely seen as "not enough" simply because it is so trivial and an empty gesture. Which is also why the discourse around Linkle annoyed me since she precisely wasn't just female Link model-swapped.

2) please stop it with the retcon thing. it has nothing to do with this. having a gender option or gender change for one or more or all future games even is not retconning anything. nowhere has it ever been set in stone that Link is always a male vidgam elf.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because those are established individual characters in canon. "Link" is just a soul that reincarnates every few generations or so, but there's nothing in the legend that says that soul needs to be a man to be The Hero. Nintendo have written themselves into a situation where they can technically have all types of heroes! But the only reason Link is still a man is because of branding and licensing, and it becomes more and more obvious as time goes on.
You're saying Master Chief couldn't be a woman? Why? We didn't even see that characters face in all those years. Maybe she just as a grumpy voice. Maybe there's a clone with a different gender. That's the easiest change ever. Kratos? A series with gods and dragons and pixies and magic that makes you unable to die as long you dont get in contact with mistletoe can't have magic that turns you into a woman? Nah, not buying that. "Technically", Nintendo could definetly do it. So do all the other companies.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

I desperately want Link to be a Kikwi in some game. Native ability: super-stealth.

eed375c35d04c55bc8c27deaa4d8e80ab585287f_hq.gif

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
You're saying Master Chief couldn't be a woman? Why? We didn't even see that characters face in all those years. Maybe she just as a grumpy voice. Maybe there's a clone with a different gender. That's the easiest change ever. Kratos? A series with gods and dragons and pixies and magic that makes you unable to die as long you dont get in contact with mistletoe can't have magic that turns you into a woman? Nah, not buying that. "Technically", Nintendo could definetly do it. So do all the other companies.
You're now derailing the conversation with this nonsense.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You're saying Master Chief couldn't be a woman? Why? We didn't even see that characters face in all those years. Maybe she just as a grumpy voice.
Because Master Chief is canonically a boy named John who was taken into a military program. Wikis are great.

Kratos? A series with gods and dragons and pixies and magic that makes you unable to die as long you dont get in contact with mistletoe can't have magic that turns you into a woman?
So now you're just trolling.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1) again, you seem to misunderstand or not be aware of fundamentals. Link is not a bespoke character with a clear identity like Kratos, Drake, or Master Chief. Link is a mostly blank-slate player avatar who expresses some vague characteristics through reactions and grunts. A gender swap would be trivial and that is also the reason why a mere gender swapped Link is widely seen as "not enough" simply because it is so trivial and an empty gesture. Which is also why the discourse around Linkle annoyed me since she precisely wasn't just female Link model-swapped.

2) please stop it with the retcon thing. it has nothing to do with this. having a gender option or gender change for one or more or all future games even is not retconning anything. nowhere has it ever been set in stone that Link is always a male vidgam elf.
Master Chief has a clear identity? Kratos went from a raging murderspreeing psychopath to dad of the year. Nothing set in stone there. If the only crucial difference is that he isn't bespoke, I don't even know what to say anymore.
I' guess Nathan Drake wouldn't work.
30 years of videogames kind od set it in stone. I would say.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough, there's actually a lot of genderbending in Norse Mythology. But I don't really get the point of where this tangent is leading.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because Master Chief is canonically a boy named John who was taken into a military program. Wikis are great.

So now you're just trolling.
Maybe there's a second Masterchief raised in a smiliar way and we can do a reveal midgame with the helmet being taken off? Why not?

How is the Kratos example trolling? You were arguing that technically, things were possible. Technically, it's possible. Same with Geralt and all the other manly man male characters set in fantasy settings. I'm not into trolling serious topics like representation.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Link being a girl in some of their incarnations would be pretty cool. I mean Link even kinda sounds like a gender neutral name so you wouldn't even have to change that.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe there's a second Masterchief raised in a smiliar way and we can do a reveal midgame with the helmet being taken off? Why not?
Because there's nothing in the writing to suggest this as a reasonable reading of the text that clearly establishes his gender, and the fact that you think bad writing is the same thing to having a character that already reincarnates be born as a woman for one game is both insulting and just more proof of that peak gamer fragility.

How is the Kratos example trolling?
Because see above.

Fact is, you asked a question: "What sense does a female Link make and not a female Nathan Drake?" and this was probably asked under the assumption that Link is a bespoke character. You got your answer: Link isn't, in fact, a bespoke character meant to embody an individual human being. He is a reincarnating soul, and Nintendo did not establish in canon that that soul has to reincarnate into a man to be "Link." Thus, he can be written as a woman without betraying the canon itself.

Now you're flailing about and suddenly throwing away basic principles of narrative writing because this oversight on Nintendo's part is extremely inconvenient for your argument. "Oh shit, the women found a backdoor. Why don't you go infect Kratos with your cooties instead?!"

It's transparent. Either we're going to conduct this conversation by adhering to a basis of "the rules of individual works' canons must be respected" or we're not and you can be secure in the fact that you get to treat reasonable female representation on the same level as gender-swapping pixie dragons.

EDIT: Oh you left.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because there's nothing in the writing to suggest this as a reasonable reading of the text that clearly establishes his gender, and the fact that you think bad writing is the same thing to having a character that already reincarnates be born as a woman for one game is both insulting and just more proof of that peak gamer fragility.
"Gamer fragility". If we get a female Link, I would have no issue playing as her.I just think playable Zelda is a better option on every single front.
Nintendo is trying their best to give Link character ever since SS (how good of a job they are doing is up for debate of course). Mipha loves Link, Zelda and Link have something going on, and so on.

Because see above.

Fact is, you asked a question: "What sense does a female Link make and not a female Nathan Drake?" and this was probably asked under the assumption that Link is a bespoke character. You got your answer: Link isn't, in fact, a bespoke character meant to embody an individual human being. He is a reincarnating soul, and Nintendo did not establish in canon that that soul has to reincarnate into a man to be "Link." Thus, he can be written as a woman without betraying the canon itself.

Now you're flailing about and suddenly throwing away basic principles of narrative writing because this oversight on Nintendo's part is extremely inconvenient for your argument. "Oh shit, the women found a backdoor. Why don't you go infect Kratos with your cooties instead?!"

It's transparent. Either we're going to conduct this conversation by adhering to a basis of "the rules of individual works' canons must be respected" or we're not and you can be secure in the fact that you get to treat reasonable female representation on the same level as gender-swapping pixie dragons.

EDIT: Oh you left.
My original question was why we need female Link when we have Zelda already. Every single one outside Moon just edited that question out of their quotes for some reason. Link, in fact, especially in BoTW, is meant to embody a human being. A mute one, but a human (or Hylian or whatever) being. What basic principle of writing prevents Kratos from becoming a woman? OP even pointed out Norse mythology has genderbending in it. Just because you repeat that I must be trolling doesn't mean I am. I didn't talk about "gender-swapping pixie dragons". "Transparent" my ass, maybe next time work on your reading comprehension before acccusing me of trolling. I talked about gender swapping Kratos, which, in a fantsay setting, shouldn't be out of bounds.

Like ffs, I'm usually completely chill with all of you. And now I'm a fragile Gamer™ whos trolling a representation topic? Nah.

Again, Moon asked me to stop derailing the topic, so I will do exactly that. Have a nice day.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I saw this thread floating up, and thought there was some new news or something. Skimming the last few pages, that doesn't seem to be the case. Anything new going on with development that we know about?

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this thread floating up, and thought there was some new news or something. Skimming the last few pages, that doesn't seem to be the case. Anything new going on with development that we know about?
Nope! Essentially nothing since last E3, so basically just speculation right now.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
If there's anything new and worthwhile, you'll see (probably several duplicates going by experience) threads about news first before this one pops up.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is trying their best to give Link character ever since SS (how good of a job they are doing is up for debate of course). Mipha loves Link, Zelda and Link have something going on, and so on.
The appeal of this franchise is that it has inconsistency deliberately written into its own canon, and thus each game can comfortably experiment with gameplay and setting without being totally alienating. The moment we're out of the "Breath of the Wild" era, Mipha, Link's knighthood, Zelda's scientific prowess and adventurous spirit— all of that will be scrapped and we still start over with effectively new characters and relationships.

My original question was why we need female Link when we have Zelda already.
It's not about need. We can have a playable Zelda, or a female Link, or both. Representation isn't a zero-sum game, and on that front I don't see why the answers in this thread haven't been satisfactory for you.

Link, in fact, especially in BoTW, is meant to embody a human being. A mute one, but a human (or Hylian or whatever) being.
You're not understanding what we mean. Link is one of many individuals borne through reincarnation. The Link in each of the major games/storylines is not actually the same person. BotW Link is not TP Link who is not WW Link who is not SS Link. I mean, it's in the name: He's a spiritual "link" across generations in Hyrule, and a "link" between the avatar and player. This isn't the case for Nathan Drake, or Kratos, or Master Chief, or Crash Bandicoot, or whatever other non-reincarnating character you want to use as an example. If you kill Nathan Drake, that's permanent; he's not going to reincarnate. Subsequently Nathan is the same exact Nathan across every Uncharted game. Link legit dies in one of the timelines and he pops back up some time later. The question then, under this knowledge of how Zelda's canon works, is why does Link always pop up as a man? The answer is because Nintendo wants to be consistent with franchise branding and merchandising, not because him being a man is intrinsic to what little identity he has across 30-something years of this franchise's existence, which is "courageous person with a sword," and that in turn isn't a characterization that is inseparable from manhood.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
But Zelda and Link SHOULD be playable.

But knowing Nintendo they will probably go the path of least resistance and just have Link again.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
It's going to be only LINK and it's going to be almost the same map.. I'm not expecting much from BOTW2.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be only LINK and it's going to be almost the same map.. I'm not expecting much from BOTW2.
Eh, Majora's Mask used Ocarina's Engine and most of its assets, and that's one of the most unique Zeldas to date. I think this game might surprise us with the direction it takes.

just_one

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The 2 only complains i hope they fix with the sequel is being able to go back to world after beating the story and a tab where you can see what receipes you learned

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if you're spending this much time fighting the idea that Link could be a girl and/or we get playable Zelda and are actively arguing with women wanting representation, maybe theres a little problem in yourself there you should think about

Also yes, girl Kratos and girl Master Chief are equally amazing ideas, lets ditch the old ones

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I would love a playable Zelda (or preferably girl link).

But I think it's the only iteration of her I haven't liked. Her character/voice/design almost stopped the game from being a 10/10 for me.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The answer is because Nintendo wants to be consistent with franchise branding and merchandising, not because him being a man is intrinsic to what little identity he has across 30-something years of this franchise's existence, which is "courageous person with a sword," and that in turn isn't a characterization that is inseparable from manhood.
Honestly, the complete overhaul of zelda branding with botw is what pisses me off the most. Before botw, Link was identified by the green tunic, not his blonde hair/blue eyes. You could slap a tunic on anyone and they'd be Link.

But with BotW "shaking things up" with tossing the tunic, Link is now only identifiable by being the flawless blue eyed blond white boy.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the complete overhaul of zelda branding with botw is what pisses me off the most. Before botw, Link was identified by the green tunic, not his blonde hair/blue eyes. You could slap a tunic on anyone and they'd be Link.

But with BotW "shaking things up" with tossing the tunic, Link is now only identifiable by being the flawless blue eyed blond white boy.
They don't even solidify his name in most games. I went through the entirety of Twilight Princess as 2Chainz and no one online who knows this has ever gotten mad that I fundamentally disrespected or changed the character. Because Link doesn't actually have a character worth preserving, unless it's to protect him from women trying to change him to the wrong gender.

Name, hair color, eye color, age, height, personality, dominant hand, clothing/uniform design, physical abilities, education, talents, upbringing, family, even the damn voice actor-- all meaningless, because they have all changed every game or every other game with nary a complaint beyond the expression of preferences between interpretations.

Imagine almost the entirety of your identity being prioritized underneath whether or not you're a man.

You know, I might take advantage of this later and do some fanart of a black male Link. He still won't be a woman so it'll be cool, right?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I mean... I don't think this is quite right either. BOTW is hardly the first game to hold out on giving link the tunic (although it being a 100% reward is a new limit obviously), but nobody would look at tp link for the fairly substantial portions before they got the tunic and be confused as to whether they were link or not, for example.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... I don't think this is quite right either. BOTW is hardly the first game to hold out on giving link the tunic (although it being a 100% reward is a new limit obviously), but nobody would look at tp link for the fairly substantial portions before they got the tunic and be confused as to whether they were link or not, for example.
? Twilight Princess Link has the tunic in all promotional material and only has the village outfit for the first hour or two. BoTW has completely shifted focus and tossed out the tunic all together in the ways that it matters, as the 100% unlock is basically just a reimagining of Zelda 1's and isn't likely going to be recognized by canon. The Champions garb has showed how Nintendo now thinks of Link.

They don't even solidify his name in most games. I went through the entirety of Twilight Princess as 2Chainz and no one online who knows this has ever gotten mad that I fundamentally disrespected or changed the character. Because Link doesn't actually have a character worth preserving, unless it's to protect him from women trying to change him to the wrong gender.

Name, hair color, eye color, age, height, personality, dominant hand, clothing/uniform design, physical abilities, education, talents, upbringing, family, even the damn voice actor-- all meaningless, because they have all changed every game or every other game with nary a complaint beyond the expression of preferences between interpretations.

Imagine almost the entirety of your identity being prioritized underneath whether or not you're a man.

You know, I might take advantage of this later and do some fanart of a black male Link. He still won't be a woman so it'll be cool, right?
B-b-b-but he has a few multiple choice lines of dialogue you can make him say! And they're quirky! So much character.

Actually, now that i think about it, all those optional dialogue options directly contradict the "lore" diary that actually calls him mute, so even the writers don't really know how to handle him.

Its time for black Link.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was always a point that Link was androgynous in appearance, so turning him to a girl is like slightly nudging over a slider. People will notice it before going "Huh, still reminds me of Link!"
This is like saying a dark skinned asian character is basically black because they have dark skin, or calling a shonen protag gay because of the intense relationship rivals have, and then telling people wanting an actual black or gay character to settle. That aint how it works. I want a female protagonist, not a dude who can "pass" as one.

Making a character a woman has more impact than you think.

Feb 20, 2019
Why not ask for female link, male link, female zelda, and male zelda? Everybody would be happy then. A gender choice at the start of the game could set things up pretty fast, voice acting could be the only problem here

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not ask for female link, male link, female zelda, and male zelda? Everybody would be happy then. A gender choice at the start of the game could set things up pretty fast, voice acting could be the only problem here
Shovel Knight esque gender select would be goddamn amazing in every game, even if only for the two protagonists/love interests.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
? Twilight Princess Link has the tunic in all promotional material and only has the village outfit for the first hour or two. BoTW has completely shifted focus and tossed out the tunic all together in the ways that it matters, as the 100% unlock is basically just a reimagining of Zelda 1's and isn't likely going to be recognized by canon. The Champions garb has showed how Nintendo now thinks of Link.

There were absolutely promotional images and video of farmer costume link for Twilight Princess. It's even in the 2005 E3 trailer Multiple times. https://youtu.be/lbxaqcApnCU. Of course this isn't the same as making the tunic not the default costume, but even if it was, you still wouldn't wear it for 99% of the game. Basically the only way to actually give it any sort of meaning in BOTW was to do what they did and make it an endgame reward.

Basically all that the current designs of links design really share between games is pointy ear + fair skin (which is just the definition of a hylian in Zelda) male who most of the time, not always, gets the master sword and a green tunic, and neither of those last two things are always true.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
There were absolutely images and video of farmer costume link for Twilight Princess. It's even in the 2005 E3 trailer Multiple times. https://youtu.be/lbxaqcApnCU

Basically all that the current designs of links design really share between games is pointy ear + fair skin (which is just the definition of a hylian in Zelda) male who most of the time, not always, gets the master sword and a green tunic, and neither of those last two things are always true.
You are all talking about things that ultimately don't matter.

I play Zelda for the horses.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020

B-b-b-but he has a few multiple choice lines of dialogue you can make him say! And they're quirky! So much character.

Actually, now that i think about it, all those optional dialogue options directly contradict the "lore" diary that actually calls him mute, so even the writers don't really know how to handle him.

Its time for black Link.

Link isn't mute... you can even see in Zelda's journal that he started opening up to her about his story and everything but he just like to remain silent and do his job which he was Zelda's knight and had to protect her. Your point about the tunic also proves that whatever Nintendo does, people will find ways to twist it and complain about it. If Link is a female in the next game but then goes back to male, people will complain cause they removed it and need to keep it. Having the 2 options could be possible, but it would require to remove part of the chemistry between Zelda and link from the story cause we know they won't literally change dialogues just so they can have a female version.

Thing is, i know it sucks that there is far more male (and white at that) characters but i don't think this is suppose to ruin a game for you or else you are really looking for the wrong reasons to like a game. I mainly play as females in video games and sometimes of colors, i don't really care i just play the ones with the spells i like or wathever the changes is. But changing an iconic character is not the right way to go imo. Yes Link is reincarnated into a new link everytime but for the masses Link isn't really new everytime but basically the same character in a different story.

I don't get why y'all don't just want playable Zelda which would be much more exciting. It wouldn't be just a regular link but female but a brand new playable character with a variation in the gameplay without changing anything to the story.

It seems like Zelda is a big part of the new game and i really don't think Nintendo will make her get kidnapped in the sequel or that would really be disappointing. I think there is a big chance she is at least by our side during the adventure and maybe playable in some parts of the game.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There were absolutely promotional images and video of farmer costume link for Twilight Princess. It's even in the 2005 E3 trailer Multiple times. https://youtu.be/lbxaqcApnCU. Of course this isn't the same as making the tunic not the default costume, but even if it was, you still wouldn't wear it for 99% of the game. Basically the only way to actually give it any sort of meaning in BOTW was to do what they did and make it an endgame reward.

What is the point of this argument?
Link isn't mute... you can even see in Zelda's journal that he started opening up to her about his story and everything but he just like to remain silent and do his job which he was Zelda's knight and had to protect her. Your point about the tunic also proves that whatever Nintendo does, people will find ways to twist it and complain about it. If Link is a female in the next game but then goes back to male, people will complain cause they removed it and need to keep it. Having the 2 options could be possible, but it would require to remove part of the chemistry between Zelda and link from the story cause we know they won't literally change dialogues just so they can have a female version.

Thing is, i know it sucks that there is far more male (and white at that) characters but i don't think this is suppose to ruin a game for you or else you are really looking for the wrong reasons to like a game. I mainly play as females in video games and sometimes of colors, i don't really care i just play the ones with the spells i like or wathever the changes is. But changing an iconic character is not the right way to go imo. Yes Link is reincarnated into a new link everytime but for the masses Link isn't really new everytime but basically the same character in a different story.

I don't get why y'all don't just want playable Zelda which would be much more exciting. It wouldn't be just a regular link but female but a brand new playable character with a variation in the gameplay without changing anything to the story.

It seems like Zelda is a big part of the new game and i really don't think Nintendo will make her get kidnapped in the sequel or that would really be disappointing. I think there is a big chance she is at least by our side during the adventure and maybe playable in some parts of the game.
When games consistently remind me of how the real world continues to snub us of anything, its not an escape anymore, its just dealing with the shit we deal with on a daily basis but now in our entertainment too.

Id love even just a playable Zelda, but i dont expect it, because Nintendo is basically gaming Disney and theyd rather avoid all social progress as long as possible.

God, this is amazing! Honestly the best Link design i've seen in years.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The 2 only complains i hope they fix with the sequel is being able to go back to world after beating the story and a tab where you can see what receipes you learned
uuugh the recipes!! :(

this is like them not having the tutorial archive in xenoblade x/xenoblade 2 anymore for no apparent reason. such an obvious and easy thing to throw into a menu somewhere.

They don't even solidify his name in most games.

Shoutouts to fully voiced cutscenes.

:/

Status
Not open for further replies.