• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Crash, Spyro, sotc all within a year
Were all of those really as big of a jump though? I thought they were considered remasters. Especially SotC

I haven't played any of them so I could totally be wrong but that's the impression I got. Don't seem to be nearly as big of a jump as this LA remake is

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing I actually hate about the visuals is the depth of field. I just hate that effect especially when it's used here. I don't see the appeal in blurring the fuck out of everything not directly in the center of the screen. Is it supposed to imitate film or something? This isn't a movie where the director uses depth of field to draw my eye to certain things to make sure I notice them and have the very specific experience he's trying to convey. This is a video game--I need to freely gather information of everything on screen and use that information to inform my decisions about how I play. If nearly half the screen is blurred so much it's like I've got severe nearsightedness, it's just a pain.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I think the thing I actually hate about the visuals is the depth of field. I just hate that effect especially when it's used here. I don't see the appeal in blurring the fuck out of everything not directly in the center of the screen. Is it supposed to imitate film or something? This isn't a movie where the director uses depth of field to draw my eye to certain things to make sure I notice them and have the very specific experience he's trying to convey. This is a video game--I need to freely gather information of everything on screen and use that information to inform my decisions about how I play. If nearly half the screen is blurred so much it's like I've got severe nearsightedness, it's just a pain.
It's a technique called miniature faking. It's emulating a tilt-shift lens. Miniature faking is an illusion caused by forcing a shallow DoF. Causes the viewer to read an image as miniature when it is not:
bdd725dc-4198-4845-8boj17.jpeg

Last edited:

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
If you've played Link's Awakening... ever, then you know you definitely don't need to do that in this game. You'll be fine.

Anyway it looks great. Everything about this game looks fucking perfect. Can't wait.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It is called tilt-shift, it is an effect used in photography to simulate that you are photographing a miniature.
1629911472_32d06a0203_o-810x540.jpg

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Were all of those really as big of a jump though? I thought they were considered remasters. Especially SotC

I haven't played any of them so I could totally be wrong but that's the impression I got. Don't seem to be nearly as big of a jump as this LA remake is
You'd be wrong for sure. From what we've seen so far from this remake, it is just as substantial as the all three of the ones you mentioned. Unless LA adds new content it will be the exact situation because all three of those games completely redid the graphics and nothing else.

That being said, I have a soft spot for Zelda and will probably always be down to pay full price for something like this #PartOfTheProblem

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it was really short-lived. i think about a month or two? but in the time there were a lot of really excellent entries. if i had known it would have been such a big deal i would have planned things out better. the ulterior motive i had was that i was just starting to take some serious graphic design courses and i was needing practice. my own stuff was pretty bad in general. seeing how other people thought was pretty inspiring. mik was fantastic in particular.

also, everything was saved, at least.

more!

AlucarDeq
uDddGKj.jpg

android18
2EsqYLq.png

Linkhero1
OVskAY1.jpg

Linkzg
MhPXgKS.jpg

thegohn
9149Y5H.jpg

orioto
7OYdOQA.jpg

sevenchaos
gGaE19b.jpg

I was a lurker back when that thread was active but I liked it so much it inspired me to make fake magazine ads in later threads:

L7S8amJ.jpg

Ink4hjF.jpg

pQnp6le.jpg

cIQGd3C.jpg

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
If you've played Link's Awakening... ever, then you know you definitely don't need to do that in this game. You'll be fine.

Anyway it looks great. Everything about this game looks fucking perfect. Can't wait.
I know the game's not detailed. I'm just laying out why I hate depth of field and why it's a bad idea to take it from film and slap it on regular gameplay in a video game. It's not used with the same purpose as with film so the result is just 40% of the screen looking like a blurry mess for no good reason.

It is called tilt-shift, it is an effect used in photography to simulate that you are photographing a miniature.
1629911472_32d06a0203_o-810x540.jpg
I see, maybe I would like it if I were into miniatures?

Do other people just not mind or notice the extreme blurriness? Or does it bother people but it's offset by how you like that it makes it look like miniatures? How alone am I in my opinion here?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I know the game's not detailed. I'm just laying out why I hate depth of field and why it's a bad idea to take it from film and slap it on regular gameplay in a video game. It's not used with the same purpose as with film so the result is just 40% of the screen looking like a blurry mess for no good reason.

Do other people just not mind or notice the extreme blurriness? Or does it bother people but it's offset by how you like that it makes it look like miniatures? How alone am I in my opinion here?
I do not know what others think. I personally find it cute and it fits perfectly with the "clayey" style of the textures.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
The game being detailed or not isn't really what I'm talking about. You talk like you need to see everything on the screen or you'll be dying because it's such a fast-paced video game. This ain't a shmup. It's a 2D Zelda game. They're never that fast or involved, and LA is among the most chill of that category. If you don't like the way it looks, like... whatever. I can't help you. But if your issue is, as you put out, that you're concerned about it for gameplay reasons? I'm informing you that your concerns are absolutely unwarranted. Based on the trailer, it sure doesn't look like they've changed the game dramatically in such a way that would change this, either. There's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Plus, it's beautiful.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

you should relook at them ps1 games again lol

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
This is completely ridiculous and not at all how entertainment is priced. You don't pay more to see a $250 million blockbuster in a standard theater compared to an independent film made for a million dollars and the same holds true here. A publisher will price a game based on what they perceive the audience will be willing to pay. That's it.

This is one of the most concise refutals I've seen of that particular argument.

I'd like to first start out by saying that I love the art style they've chosen for this remake. I think it's adorable and unique.

That out of the way, what if, as the game gets deeper and darker, the art style begins to shift that way as well? You come out of the face shrine and the graphical engine has changed a bit. Colors are more muted, and everything looks a bit more realistic. This continues as you finish up Eagle Tower, getting even darker. Once you finish Turtle Rock and make your way to the Wind Fish's egg, you can hear the screaming and moaning of the Nightmares, knowing their time is about to come to an end. By the time you reach the egg, it's almost deafening, but the sound of playing the Ballad of the Wind Fish cuts through it all, silencing the screams, as well as the rest of the world. You step into the egg to silence(just as in the original game), and there is no noise until you reach the final boss.

I know that's super dark, but it could be a way to setup an emotional scene for how the island's inhabitants are feeling as you come closer to destroying their world forever.

This is a fantastic idea, I'd love to see Nintendo approach this remake as an opportunity to do interesting things that weren't possible on the Game Boy.

OOT is often said to be basically "3D LTTP". I maintain that OOT took more from LA than it did from LTTP. (Of course, LA itself owes a lot to LTTP)

-The item trading
-The playing of musical instruments to affect things
-Memorable characters who actually have interesting things to say, that fill more than one dialog box
-Cutscenes and story elements
-The Owl
-A dedicated shield button
-Fishing
-A big whale/fish thing

Some other stuff I can't remember. LA deserves more praise.

Marin and Tarin = Malon and Talon.

LttP + LA = OoT.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best part about this anouncement is that the 3ds can finally rest in peace. It was a good run but time to move on :)

Red

Oct 26, 2017

You're meant to notice the blurriness. It's a personal judgment whether or not you appreciate the effect. It's intentionally used to provide the sense that you're watching miniature figures in a miniature world.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most heartening things about this announcement is knowing that Link's Awakening will be back in the public consciousness in a big way.

This game, which has always been supremely special to me and seemed to be perennially in the shadows of the more universally beloved A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, is the game which has been selected to follow up the monster hit that was Breath of the Wild on Switch.

But not only will it be back in the public's consciousness, it will be in Nintendo's too. With the development of Breath of the Wild's succesor underway, the act of revisiting Link's Awakening after all these years - pulling it apart and rebuilding it - will hopefully colour some of the thought processes behind the next game, in the same way A Link to the Past and A Link Between World's informed Breath of the Wild. And that's a great thing.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017

I love the tilt-shift effect and do not mind the surrounding blurriness at all. I was less enthused with the DoF effect they used in Octopath because pixel art doesn't jive as well. But here it works perfectly because the stuff in focus looks smooth and plastic and toy-like. It's wonderful.

I love miniatures and would like more of this look everywhere to be honest. Maybe one day I'll be sick of it like lens flare, but not yet.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the tilt-shift effect and do not mind the surrounding blurriness at all. I was less enthused with the DoF effect they used in Octopath because pixel art doesn't jive as well. But here it works perfectly because the stuff in focus looks smooth and plastic and toy-like. It's wonderful.

I love miniatures and would like more of this look everywhere to be honest. Maybe one day I'll be sick of it like lens flare, but not yet.
I would love a Advanced Wars/Wargroove/FE game where all the units looked like table top miniatures. Fully animated of course. I've seen a few games that look like this but would like to see a big name take it on.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018

I really like it personally
Really finishes off the toy look perfectly

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
The game being detailed or not isn't really what I'm talking about. You talk like you need to see everything on the screen or you'll be dying because it's such a fast-paced video game. This ain't a shmup. It's a 2D Zelda game. They're never that fast or involved, and LA is among the most chill of that category. If you don't like the way it looks, like... whatever. I can't help you. But if your issue is, as you put out, that you're concerned about it for gameplay reasons? I'm informing you that your concerns are absolutely unwarranted. Based on the trailer, it sure doesn't look like they've changed the game dramatically in such a way that would change this, either. There's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Plus, it's beautiful.
I've already played the Gameboy version. I understand exactly what you're saying. I think you're the one misunderstanding my point. I was speaking about how people experience games vs movies in general. Focus in movies is meant to draw the eye to specific things at specific times as the director intended. Just making everything outside the center of the screen blurry doesn't serve that purpose. Since we're talking games you want a good reason to do things like obscuring the player's vision, because players need to be able to look wherever they want whenever they want in order to gather information about what's happening and play the game. The part you quoted was just talking about how people play video games on a fundamental level, not specifically with regard to this one.

When I said I know the game's not detailed, I meant I know that in this case it's not going to be the big problem it would be in, like, Spelunky, because the kind of important decision-deciding detail that might wash out in the extreme blurriness doesn't exist in the graphics in the first place. But again, I was speaking generally about the difference between film and video games in terms of the audience/player's reasons and methods in looking at the screen. People don't like looking at something that they need information about to make decisions, only to get a blurry image. Nobody likes it when their swimming goggles fog up. That's not to say a player's vision should never be obscured, but you should generally allow for players to look at everything clearly in a video game so the experience of playing the game is pleasant, unless you have a good reason you're doing it. Other people in subsequent posts have pointed out that they love the miniature look, so I guess that's good enough. Wish it were optional though.

Nol

Oct 26, 2017
Is it just me or does it look like link's movement is restricted to 8 directions in the trailer?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Also, the game is completely seamless, the trailer confirms it. I missed it, but if you look closely before Link enters the Mysterious Woods you can briefly see the fishing spot. Which means that small portion Link walks into the forest was where he also cuts the bush blocking his path.

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Trailer hasn't shown any HUD. I ask myself how far in development this game is. It looks too polished that they simply are not far enough into development that there isn't any HUD to present.

I do think there is some special twist in this Remake they haven't shown us so far. That's the reason I'm even more excited. There will be some gimmick. Currently, it looks like a 1:1 Remake (I would also be finde with that) but I have a hunch that there will bew some kind of twist to the stuff we've seen so far.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Never played the game back then, but I've heard a lot of praise for it. What was special about this Zelda game?

Can't wait. Zelda is always Day 1. And I really like the art style.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The art style is so...meh. It's not bad but doesn't stand out either. It looks like a Zelda clone, lol. Reminds me of Tunic.

Still, day one. Missed the original and I can't wait to play the remake and see what the fuss is all about.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
The Trailer hasn't shown any HUD. I ask myself how far in development this game is. It looks too polished that they simply are not far enough into development that there isn't any HUD to present.

I do think there is some special twist in this Remake they haven't shown us so far. That's the reason I'm even more excited. There will be some gimmick. Currently, it looks like a 1:1 Remake (I would also be finde with that) but I have a hunch that there will bew some kind of twist to the stuff we've seen so far.
I hope its far enough that they can still adjust the look to perfection

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Not sure how you could possibly think that unless you've never seen a PS1 game in your life. All of those games were remade from the ground up.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I've already played the Gameboy version. I understand exactly what you're saying. I think you're the one misunderstanding my point. I was speaking about how people experience games vs movies in general. Focus in movies is meant to draw the eye to specific things at specific times as the director intended. Just making everything outside the center of the screen blurry doesn't serve that purpose. Since we're talking games you want a good reason to do things like obscuring the player's vision, because players need to be able to look wherever they want whenever they want in order to gather information about what's happening and play the game. The part you quoted was just talking about how people play video games on a fundamental level, not specifically with regard to this one.

When I said I know the game's not detailed, I meant I know that in this case it's not going to be the big problem it would be in, like, Spelunky, because the kind of important decision-deciding detail that might wash out in the extreme blurriness doesn't exist in the graphics in the first place. But again, I was speaking generally about the difference between film and video games in terms of the audience/player's reasons and methods in looking at the screen. People don't like looking at something that they need information about to make decisions, only to get a blurry image. Nobody likes it when their swimming goggles fog up. That's not to say a player's vision should never be obscured, but you should generally allow for players to look at everything clearly in a video game so the experience of playing the game is pleasant, unless you have a good reason you're doing it. Other people in subsequent posts have pointed out that they love the miniature look, so I guess that's good enough. Wish it were optional though.
I don't see this as any different from changing the camera distance. Except this way you get to see more than if the camera was zoomed in. It still forces you to focus on the center, on Link, but has an extra flair on the outside.

It's purely an aesthetic thing, and it adds a lot to the feel of the game being an imaginary toy scape. Which is, well, what video games are anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching RSSLiam's direct video and someone in his chat pointed out that in the side scrolling section where Link jumps, he still had the sword and shield equipped.

That basically confirms new item management.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
This might just push me to get a Switch or a friend with a Switch.. or something.

The more I see it, the more I like the art style. Just really really wish the would add to more circles to Link... one white, one blue you know have normal eyes. Even the enemies have better eyes ffs.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing this as a kid and loving it depsite never being able to finish it. Have to say I'm incredibly excited to revisit this game. Looks beautiful!

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think it's all that uncommon for promotional footage to omit the HUD, though

things just look nicer that way

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
I donno if anyone said it before but I'll just say it:

only Nintendo would dare to make a remake of a classic game with this kind of artstyle nowdays,
and that's something the industry should appreciate.