• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
One of the most heartening things about this announcement is knowing that Link's Awakening will be back in the public consciousness in a big way.

This game, which has always been supremely special to me and seemed to be perennially in the shadows of the more universally beloved A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, is the game which has been selected to follow up the monster hit that was Breath of the Wild on Switch.

But not only will it be back in the public's consciousness, it will be in Nintendo's too. With the development of Breath of the Wild's succesor underway, the act of revisiting Link's Awakening after all these years - pulling it apart and rebuilding it - will hopefully colour some of the thought processes behind the next game, in the same way A Link to the Past and A Link Between World's informed Breath of the Wild. And that's a great thing.

I agree with everything you said. Link's Awakening means a lot to me, I practically almost teared up hearing Marin singing Ballad of the Windfish at the end of the trailer, so I couldn't be happier to see it thrust into the limelight.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
Don't get me wrong, the narrative is still handled like every other Zelda game, but there's a twist that is pretty good and makes you think a little. Which is more than what can be said about most Zelda games haha.

This brings me hope. When I saw the trailer, I didn´t felt very comfortable with the art Nintendo choose for this remake. However, I re-watched it and it grow in me, and knowing the plot is the best in the series makes me even happier!

Also, you can jump on this 2D game??

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not what I'm talking about. the over world sections look to play like the old boring NES/GB versions of the game. I'll reserve judgement until I get my hands on it. It looks amazing, just an older play style I've grown tired of. Maybe its faster and controls better. Hard to tell without inputting the controls personally.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yuck.

This would look much better :

f74e1fee82430e450295a5f29cef2bfb.jpg
Clashing characters and backgrounds with skewed perspective?

No.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
One of the most heartening things about this announcement is knowing that Link's Awakening will be back in the public consciousness in a big way.

This game, which has always been supremely special to me and seemed to be perennially in the shadows of the more universally beloved A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, is the game which has been selected to follow up the monster hit that was Breath of the Wild on Switch.

But not only will it be back in the public's consciousness, it will be in Nintendo's too. With the development of Breath of the Wild's succesor underway, the act of revisiting Link's Awakening after all these years - pulling it apart and rebuilding it - will hopefully colour some of the thought processes behind the next game, in the same way A Link to the Past and A Link Between World's informed Breath of the Wild. And that's a great thing.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I hope Nintendo is working back to back on the Oracle games also, they are pretty fucking amazing games

Saikar

Nov 3, 2017
I want to say I'll be watching carefully - seeing what they add to the game, if anything, vs the price point, wait for reviews, be cautious but experienced from many burns. But I don't know who I'd be kidding. Link's Awakening was one of my first video games ever and the first one I played with an actual story. Youngun me cried at the end of the game when the impact all finally hit home. This was two and a half decades ago. Am I really going to pass up an opportunity to go back to those days, even if the graphics are a little weird and plastic? I can't imagine that I am.

I just hope they don't screw this up too badly. Between this and Marin getting into Hyrule Warriors, it could be a great time to be a LA fan. Don't make it a bad one, guys.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Personally, I didn't even notice the "blurring" until you people all started complaining about it. Which means it's working as it should. I really do feel like it's a bunch of plastic miniature toys and I love it.

Am I the only one who thinks it'd be such a Nintendo move to not include the bonus color-based dungeon from the DX remaster and almost expect it? lol
I can see the quote explaining their reasoning being that it didn't feel appropriate for a true re-imagining of the game's origins.

I'm sure there'll be some new stuff in there, but I kinda expect the color dungeon to get the axe.
The Color Dungeon really wouldn't make sense obviously since it was just a gimmick made for the new GBC. It wasn't even that big of a deal either. A pretty boring dungeon with a bunch of color-related puzzles that wouldn't make any sense at all now. Replace it completely with a new dungeon built just for this game.

Let's not forget one of the best parts.

BEST GIRL IS BACK!

latest
Marin ❤️

My wishlist for this

• Better item management (Allow me to equip more than two items, make some items always equipped like the sword, shield, and strength bracelet, pegasus boots)
  • New dungeons
Definitely let us put certain items on other buttons, and have other stuff be always equipped. The Pegasus Boots would work the same way as on LttP, as would the bracelet. Basically copy the LttP control scheme but with the enhancements needed to do things like bomb arrows. (Don't forget to put that in guys!)

Add a couple new dungeons just for the tunic and maybe a different way of getting the sword upgrade than collecting the seashells.

I hope they add at least two special dungeons and a bunch of secret caves all over the place. I can't wait to collect the Secret Seashells again too. Have them give you something else for those and put the sword upgrade in a new dungeon.

I really can't wait to see the Face Shrine and Eagle's Tower in this engine. Though I hope the boss of the Shrine is made a bit harder and the boss of the Tower a bit easier. lol

And they really should follow this up with quick ports of the Oracle games made in the same engine of course (Most of their work would be finished) since I've never really got into them even though I own both of them. Bundle them together of course so they can be linked together properly.

And someone mentioned remaking the first game in this engine? Yes. That would be neat too. I'd buy that too. Reimagine it with more modern gameplay from LttP/LA and it could be interesting.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing GameXplain's analysis it's really starting to grow on me. The eyes being black like the original Gameboy sprite was a really nice detail. My only thing now is if it's going to be one-to-one, which would be lame or if it'll take notes from ALBW and BoTW. Link not having any items in the trailer and no UI at all makes me think they're hiding something.

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
FFT would look dope with this kind of art style. Imagine the graphics looking like a bunch of animated chess pieces.

tujoSXz.jpg
Why do I still feel like a Fire Emblem game in 2019 still doesn't look as impressive as FF Tactics on the PS1?

Obviously, I'm not talking about sheer graphical fidelity. I'm talking about character design, story, battle maps, etc.

I suppose they just aim for a different experience.

On topic. I won't deny I got really excited with the art style in the oppening cinematic, and was let down with how the game ended up looking. I think it actually looks pretty good and it will grow on me.

I now want a Zelda game that looks like the opening cinematic.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I hope Nintendo is working back to back on the Oracle games also, they are pretty fucking amazing games

Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons are the holy trifecta (triforce?) of the 2D Zelda games. Being such a huge fan of LA, I was overjoyed to learn that not one but THREE new games were in development using the LA engine - the "Mystical Seed Trilogy". The screenshots looked amazing to me. I remember scouring magazines and the still relatively nascent internet to find any scraps of new information in the years leading up to release, but it was slim pickings. Of course, Flagship never did release that third Seed/Oracle game and the Minish Cap ultimately failed to live up to expectations, but they came damn close to LA with the two Oracles that were released.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of crow eaters doubted WW art too. Love it when Nintendo tries new things. If half of you ran game houses we'd be playing the same old shit over and over with bigger guns and more exploding guts.
Are you seriously comparing Wind Waker's amazing art style with THIS?
I want to say I'll be watching carefully - seeing what they add to the game, if anything, vs the price point, wait for reviews, be cautious but experienced from many burns. But I don't know who I'd be kidding. Link's Awakening was one of my first video games ever and the first one I played with an actual story. Youngun me cried at the end of the game when the impact all finally hit home. This was two and a half decades ago. Am I really going to pass up an opportunity to go back to those days, even if the graphics are a little weird and plastic? I can't imagine that I am.

I just hope they don't screw this up too badly. Between this and Marin getting into Hyrule Warriors, it could be a great time to be a LA fan. Don't make it a bad one, guys.
Wow...wait for reviews for a Zelda game? Lol
The reviews are gonna be 9 and 10s. Zelda games don't get less. It's zelda and nintendo
I don't know which world theyre gonna screw that up...it's not like they have a third party making it.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
revisiting Link's Awakening after all these years - pulling it apart and rebuilding it
Link's Awakening is tied with Link To The Past as my favorite Zelda game and one of my favorite games of all time, but I'm getting the sense that this remake is pretty much 1:1 aside from the graphics. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a tool that allowed them to import the existing tile placements from the Game Boy game. I haven't seen any shots from the trailer so far that weren't exact recreations of the original layout.

Which is to say I'm not sure how much pulling it apart or rebuilding they actually ended up doing for this.

Still, having it fresh in their minds going into the next mainline Zelda is probably a good thing.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Link's Awakening is tied with Link To The Past as my favorite Zelda game and one of my favorite games of all time, but I'm getting the sense that this remake is pretty much 1:1 aside from the graphics. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a tool that allowed them to import the existing tile placements from the Game Boy game. I haven't seen any shots from the trailer so far that weren't exact recreations of the original layout.

Which is to say I'm not sure how much pulling it apart or rebuilding they actually ended up doing for this.

Still, having it fresh in their minds going into the next mainline Zelda is probably a good thing.
Actually, several of them are at least 1 tile off in certain ways.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017

You may be onto something, but being the pedant that I am, I did notice a couple of discrepancies.

Switch_TheLegendofZeldaLinksAwakening_ND0213_SCRN_02.jpeg

Outside-Sale%27s-House-O%27-Bananas.png

Note there are 3 vertical bushes in the remake vs. the 2 in the original. Also, the tree is not directly adjacent to the shack in the original.

There are a few other examples of this from the trailer, but it could be that they scraped the entire map and tweaked a few placements here and there.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
That art style really feels like an evolution of what they were doing with Nintendoland and I'm definitely cool with that. I feel like it was severely underrated.

large.jpg

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I think the only I don't like about the art style is the way they did Link's eyes. I know it matches the GB game, but I still don't like it.

Otherwise I like the toyetic look.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
People shouldn't take Zelda artstyles for granted.

I bet Nintendo will try yet another different artstyle for the next big 3D Zelda game and as always people will freak out.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

This is "Link's Awakening"s overworld map. You don't need to write some tool to import the tiles / layout. By the time you've written the tool, you'll have been able to just manually recreate the map.
cocolint.jpg

I think DIE BART DIE 's example shows that they're recreating the game with quite some adjustments to the scale of areas. You can see that the 'road' between the lines of trees is wider, probably to allow for more dynamic combat.

I think the differences are going to be similar to how ALttP and ALbW compared.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Any educated guesses on how far in to development they might be, and what kind of release window we could be looking at?

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Very interesting that when Nintendo officially updated the Zelda timeline last year, the two changes they made were to place Breath of the Wild, and also to adjust Link's Awakening's place to come before Oracle games.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Any educated guesses on how far in to development they might be, and what kind of release window we could be looking at?
It looks close to completion. They might just be polishing it at this point. That being said, it will probably release in the fall. If it was in the summer, they probably would've announced a specific month. I'm thinking September, October, November or December.

Pokemon probably has first dibs on November. Animal Crossing could be in the fall or December (didn't Wild World release in December?). Zelda would slot nicely into September or October — the latter being the same month Odyssey released.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the game is more or less done. I'm sure a lot of work went into the game's new look and tweaking everything around it, but they already have a blueprint in the form of the original game, and they appear to be closely following it.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would've preferred if they really went along with the aesthetic of the opening cutscene, and made it akin to Guilty Gear cel shading. Right now it just looks like 3D Dot Game Heroes, unnecessary amounts of DoF and all, but with models instead of big pixels. Crazy wasted potential.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I wanna know what changes the game has. We've seen what's the same, but what about what's not? That's the most interesting thing about remaking stuff - the different ideas the people remaking it have compared to the original creators. If everything is just 1:1 with no changes, additions, or any personal touch added, that's disappointingly boring. Especially when the original is still very replayable.