• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
I'm really excited for this game.

Only... we all know they are capable of so much more than a remake.

ALBW is one of my favourite Zelda games. Hoped for a new original title. Seems a little unambitious.

Please can someone explain this: wasn't A Link Between Worlds pitched as a straight remake of A Link To The Past... before grumpy Miyamoto demanded something better?

Why does Link's Awakening get special treatment?

Pixeltuner

Oct 29, 2017
I love the art style! I've never played the original because I never owned a Gameboy and was playing Aladdin on my Megadrive instead :v So day one for me.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited for this game.

Only... we all know they are capable of so much more than a remake.

ALBW is one of my favourite Zelda games. Hoped for a new original title. Seems a little unambitious.

Please can someone explain this: wasn't A Link Between Worlds pitched as a straight remake of A Link To The Past... before grumpy Miyamoto demanded something better?

Why does Link's Awakening get special treatment?
Restructuring probably.

Though I imagine Koizumi is pretty stoked, Link's Awakening was the first game he had real influence in outside of writing for the manuals. He came up with the plot details and the concept of this all being in a dream.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i really wouldn't be worried about this. i'm not sure of they're going to expand the game, but i think it's safe to say all the content in DX will make it over

I actually kind of hope they replace the color dungeon with something new. It was a neat addition back when the GBC was new and Link's Awakening DX was one of the first games on the platform from Nintendo. It was really just used to show off the benefits of color vs. black and white. It's going to feel really weird today, unless they update it drastically or replace it with something else.

Subomie

Feb 16, 2019
Honestly, I could take or leave the Color Dungeon. It was always the least intricate of the dungeons to me, especially given that the gimmick of seeing in color is... hardly something engaging today.

I am here for it being re-invented though.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about the price and art style, is not going to want to purchase Zelda Link's Awakening for Switch, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and make the game 20 bucks or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
people really think the nintendo that's pricing wii u ports at 60 and made su-fucking-shi striker 50 dollars is going to sell this at anything but 60? i don't know how many times people need to be proven wrong that switch can move a ridiculous amount of software at the $60 price point, whether it's an old game or new. this is a new zelda game, coming after the massive success of botw and when the series is at its peak cultural relevance, it's a remake of a beloved game that even the people who haven't played it know of it and how well it is regarded among zelda fans, it has a gorgeous art style, it's going to get marketed to fuck, yeah it's not super long like botw but then again very few games are, doesn't mean only 100+ hour games justify their full price tag. there are so many 15 hour games at that price that do very well.

I actually kind of hope they replace the color dungeon with something new. It was a neat addition back when the GBC was new and Link's Awakening DX was one of the first games on the platform from Nintendo. It was really just used to show off the benefits of color vs. black and white. It's going to feel really weird today, unless they update it drastically or replace it with something else.
hm... the theme may change and be reworked, but i still expect there to be a dungeon where the color dungeon is now.

Last edited:

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about the price and art style, is not going to want to purchase Zelda Link's Awakening for Switch, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and make the game 20 bucks or you can kiss your business goodbye.

This should be bannable, it's 2019. Let shit die.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough, the Japanese Nintendo account for Link's Awakening somehow has more retweet engagement than NoA's tweet for the game.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks like a cheap cash grab. I will probably get it when the next console release with some discount.

chapilinux

Mar 29, 2018
It is funny how you guys are having discussions about "art style" when things are far simplier than this. Nintendo never spent a minute on that subject, more likely the approach was "hey Aonuma-San, 3DS is dying, take that LA remake you were cresting for 3DS and port it to the Switch". The aspect of the game is nothing more than the consequence of the reescaling of the ALBW motor with little tweaks and in HD. In such a small trailer you can see lot of things that the motor manages the smae way, like the rendering and shades of the grounds.

IMHO, it is not fair to target 60$ for a remake of a Game Boy game created for 3DS and rescalled for the Switch as a brand new game. But of course, Nintendo has the right to ask for they money they consider. Just dissapointed, and nothing more, thinking in the possibilities of a full Switch-focus remake of LA, wether 2D with a real 2D handmade artstyle or wether 3D with mangaskish-comic-okamis hd art.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
It is funny how you guys are having discussions about "art style" when things are far simplier than this. Nintendo never spent a minute on that subject, more likely the approach was "hey Aonuma-San, 3DS is dying, take that LA remake you were cresting for 3DS and port it to the Switch". The aspect of the game is nothing more than the consequence of the reescaling of the ALBW motor with little tweaks and in HD. In such a small trailer you can see lot of things that the motor manages the smae way, like the rendering and shades of the grounds.

IMHO, it is not fair to target 60$ for a remake of a Game Boy game created for 3DS and rescalled for the Switch as a brand new game. But of course, Nintendo has the right to ask for they money they consider. Just dissapointed, and nothing more, thinking in the possibilities of a full Switch-focus remake of LA, wether 2D with a real 2D handmade artstyle or wether 3D with mangaskish-comic-okamis hd art.
It is bullshit to baselessly claim that this is a re-purposed 3DS game. Where could you possibly be getting that from

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The Switch has been out for 2 years now and they knew beforehand it was coming. It's not more likely this was a 3DS game, and you just assuming that and then taking it as fact in your second paragraph and then basing your entire arguement around it regarding the price is ridiculous.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017

Just so you're aware, motor and engine are not interchangeable terms when referring to video games.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No way this is running on the ALBW engine. If anything this is more likely to be using BotW engine as they don't need separate console and handheld engines now since everything is on a single device. We even have GDC footage of how they first initially tested their engine as well, by making a top down Zelda with assets from Zelda 1.

https://youtu.be/QyMsF31NdNc?t=1091

It's impressive you say all this with such authority though.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Gonna laugh when the game comes out and it has really good production values and the art style clicks. Gonna be a lot of humble pie being eaten.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna laugh when the game comes out and it has really good production values and the art style clicks. Gonna be a lot of humble pie being eaten.
Nah, they'll come in threads and accuse all the reviewers of Nintendo bias for rating a mobile game that high.

Since when have these people been acting humble after being proved wrong lol.

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Expert sure, whats your gaming history for zelda?

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia

😂😂😂 I had almost forgot this

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's... Not a safe guess, like, at all.

If the game does 4m , it'll have done well. Even ocarina of time 3d only got to about 5.6m.
ok maybe i overshot a bit. but i do think it's doable, even if it's not a safe prediction. 5 million is very doable tho considering how much more selling power switch has when it comes to games compared to most other past nintendo platforms, and we kinda need to look at zelda with new eyes after botw, there really are a LOT of new fans of the series with that game, as well as a lot of new nintendo fans with switch who may have skipped the past several nintendo systems.

Me personally, I'm used to it by now lol. But if it gets out of hand, I love the ignore feature.
i don't use ignore, i just enjoy the salt.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
No way this is running on the ALBW engine. If anything this is more likely to be using BotW engine as they don't need separate console and handheld engines now since everything is on a single device. We even have GDC footage of how they first initially tested their engine as well, by making a top down Zelda with assets from Zelda 1.

https://youtu.be/QyMsF31NdNc?t=1091

It's impressive you say all this with such authority though.

You don't think a top down 60fps Zelda, and a huge open world 3d Zelda has different requirements of the engine and are likely not the same?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
past 2D/handheld zelda sales according to this thread:

the legend of zelda (NES) - 6.51M
the adventure of link (NES) - 4.38M
link to the past (SNES) - 4.61M
link's awakening (GB) - 3.83M
link's awakening DX (GB) - 2.22M
oracle of ages/seasons (GB) - 3.99M
link to the past (GBA) - 2.82M
minish cap (GBA) - 1.76M
phantom hourglass (DS) - 4.76M
spirit tacks (DS) - 2.96M
ocarina of time (3DS) - 5.62M
a link between worlds (3DS) - 3.71M
majora's mask (3DS) - 3M
triforce heroes (3DS) - 1.23M

considering how switch, for being on the market less than two years, has already produced the best selling entries in so many of nintendo's series (3D mario, zelda, smash) and many other titles are heading in that direction, i don't think expecting the LA remake to do 5 or 6 (or even 7) millions is that weird. i read a few pages ago of people expecting 2 or 3 million which is think is just absurd. mario tennis and xenoblade can do those numbers, a zelda game has much more selling power.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't think a top down 60fps Zelda, and a huge open world 3d Zelda has different requirements of the engine and are likely not the same?
Unreal Engine can make 2D games and large sprawling open world 3D games. Zelda's Engine should be just as capable. And it's not like they haven't reused engines before for plenty of their games. They do a lot of engine reuse. ALBW's engine however is not up to snuff for HD development, so it's not really necessary to keep reusing especially when they have a new established engine that is already ready and working for the Switch.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has heard the requests for additional content and have decided to add a huge post-game campaign where
you have to keep Link alive on his tiny scrap of boat while he slowly paddles back to Hyrule.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017

I have to admit that the art style is kind of growing on me. I think on the first viewing I was kind of shocked at the transition (bear in mind I love the GB original, graphics and music alike). But yeah, I hope it does well.

That said, the atmosphere of the game is incredibly important - I hope that the original's fantastic atmosphere isn't lost in translation.

nu_faust

Oct 27, 2017
Smt
people gotta realize that this game always had more of a light hearted fantasy feeling compared to rest of the mainline Zeldas so the graphical style is an evolution of the original style & matches the tone of the game perfectly. If you really want a opening anime style graphics for this title chances are high that you probably never played the original and asking for a different game.

Yes maybe more of an effort could be put like Academic Saucer's example of Tunic but I think it's perfectly fair to assume that Nintendo is well aware of need for constant quality 1st party output to support Switch's momentum and this remake could be a perfect vehicle for Nintendo to test waters & prepare the groundwork for the truly all new next gen 2D Zelda.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Unreal Engine can make 2D games and large sprawling open world 3D games. Zelda's Engine should be just as capable. And it's not like they haven't reused engines before for plenty of their games. They do a lot of engine reuse. ALBW's engine however is not up to snuff for HD development, so it's not really necessary to keep reusing especially when they have a new established engine that is already ready and working for the Switch.
Then what makes that engine more suited than the one used for Odyssey, Splatoon 2, or Arms?

Im thinking's all of these engines probably have a lot of common code anyway, and are each tailored to the requirements of each game.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is a real gamefaqs tier conspiracy theory.

It looks miles upon miles better than a 3DS game even at first glance. A 3DS game at 720p would very blatantly still look like a 3DS game, like the models from Pokemon Let's Go

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I can imagine this scene will be totally reworked.

Not only will Manbo be more animated, they'll like have more marine life joining in, dynamic camera angles, instruments will be playing, while spotlights swing and confetti is flung. It will be a specticle.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a question. BotW brought in a lot of new players to the Zelda franchise. Even though most old school Zelda fans agree LA is a great game, will it hurt the userbase brought in by BotW simply for being so different?
i don't think so. obviously not being a huge open world game it wouldn't have nearly the same appeal for many of the fans that started with botw but imo

a, it will massively benefit from the series newfound relevance and many will know that this is supposed to be a "good game" and be interested to check it out for the first time and
b, even if it has no appeal to some botw fans, they'll all be back super hyped when the actual sequel to botw is revealed.

for a game to have a negative impact on the future of a series after a super successful game it has to be bad, and people would have to be unsure about getting a real sequel to the game they loved. both of those aren't true in this case.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

you don't know anything about how game development works and it really shows

anyone ever considering more than one minute that this was in production for 3ds at any point is clueless. just the 21 seconds we've seen in the trailer shows game design and art direction ideas that are at the core of this remake and would be straight up impossible on 3ds.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
like i said in another thread it probably was proof of concept as a 3DS game but looks like it was very much like a modern game from the ground up. if they plopped a 3DS game with graphical bells and whistles it'd still pretty much look like a ps2 game

LA was pretty huge for a GB game, modernizing the whole thing and guessing there's additional content this won't be your run of the mill "portable zelda" while it obvs isn't BotW2 either