• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
omg now people are saying this was moved from 3DS to switch. people are really trying to diss this game anyway they can, it seems like. sad.

super safe guess, 7 million LTD
Hmm, would be nice if it could sell that much. I'm a bit more pessimistic though. I'd say 4-5.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a cheap cash grab. I will probably get it when the next console release with some discount.
i know opinions are subjective and all, but this looks like anything but a cash grab. even in that very short trailer you can see how much attention and care has been paid to meticulously remake and reimagine all aspects of the original, how much effort has gone into the beautiful intro and the art style of the game to give it that clay look, how cohesive and coherent and elegant and refined the game's style is, etc
maybe you don't know what cash grab means

So do we think this'll get a physical release or just digital?
are you serious?!

It's already perfectly laid out with everything fitting together beautifully. At the most I can hope for a couple extra optional dungeons and some new secret caves to explore. It's all I really want. But I'd be happy with a perfect exact port.
same. i would be perfectly happy with an exact 1:1 remake. i wouldn't be mad at an extra hidden dungeon (which will probably be the reworked color dungeon, perhaps more integrated to the game's story) and some secrets here and there, but i really hope they don't feel like they have to greatly expand the game or the map or anything like that.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
you don't know anything about how game development works and it really shows

anyone ever considering more than one minute that this was in production for 3ds at any point is clueless. just the 21 seconds we've seen in the trailer shows game design and art direction ideas that are at the core of this remake and would be straight up impossible on 3ds.
Not that I think this was meant for 3Ds, but what game design ideas would be impossible on 3DS? Again, while I do believe this was always a Switch game, nothing in it strikes me as impossible on 3DS, in terms of game design.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why "good look"? There are so many good games. It's not like I have to suffer or anything. I can wait.
Zelda games have a tendency to have long shelf lives. And the second hand market hardly devalues many Zelda titles. For Example, Link's Awakening DX for the Game Color still roughly goes for the original retail price on places like Amazon and Ebay.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has heard the requests for additional content and have decided to add a huge post-game campaign where
you have to keep Link alive on his tiny scrap of boat while he slowly paddles back to Hyrule.
Fighting against visual hallucinations induced by loneliness and lack of sleep/eating

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this isn't really changing. It's not like "this is what the franchise will look like from now on" and it's not really an inspiring new look either. It's like a spinoff that goes for a "spinoff" style and it isn't going down in the book alongside Cartoon Link I don't think. It seems to lack personality.

Because you don't like the style?

Twilight Princess style lacked personality, this on the other hand is dripping it.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I think this was meant for 3Ds, but what game design ideas would be impossible on 3DS? Again, while I do believe this was always a Switch game, nothing in it strikes me as impossible on 3DS, in terms of game design.

Two main things I've noticed in the trailer:
- There's no "case by case" grid map like in the original. You move seamlessly in the overworld like it's an open-world. This is a thing that wasn't even possible in ALBW as that game's world was also grid-based. That alone is a massive undertaking and such a central idea that would have been discarded immediately if it was a 3DS project.
- Even more than that, it seems like there's no transition either going from cities to the overworld like in the original. We see bits of the outside world while Link is in the village indicating that it's going to be fully open. Again, way out of the question on 3DS just by looking at how ALBW handled this.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Two main things I've noticed in the trailer:
- There's no "case by case" grid map like in the original. You move seamlessly in the overworld like it's an open-world. This is a thing that wasn't even possible in ALBW as that game's world was also grid-based. That alone is a massive undertaking and such a central idea that would have been discarded immediately if it was a 3DS project.
- Even more than that, it seems like there's no transition either going from cities to the overworld like in the original. We see bits of the outside world while Link is in the village indicating that it's going to be fully open. Again, way out of the question on 3DS just by looking at how ALBW handled this.
I think the way ALBW handled transitions was a conscious design choice to evoke the original, not something out of hardware limitation. Surely the 3DS can handle 2D open world when even the DS can.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It is funny how you guys are having discussions about "art style" when things are far simplier than this. Nintendo never spent a minute on that subject, more likely the approach was "hey Aonuma-San, 3DS is dying, take that LA remake you were cresting for 3DS and port it to the Switch". The aspect of the game is nothing more than the consequence of the reescaling of the ALBW motor with little tweaks and in HD. In such a small trailer you can see lot of things that the motor manages the smae way, like the rendering and shades of the grounds.

IMHO, it is not fair to target 60$ for a remake of a Game Boy game created for 3DS and rescalled for the Switch as a brand new game. But of course, Nintendo has the right to ask for they money they consider. Just dissapointed, and nothing more, thinking in the possibilities of a full Switch-focus remake of LA, wether 2D with a real 2D handmade artstyle or wether 3D with mangaskish-comic-okamis hd art.

Where do you people come up with this stuff lmao?

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the way ALBW handled transitions was a conscious design choice to evoke the original, not something out of hardware limitation. Surely the 3DS can handle 2D open world when even the DS can.

I'm actually pretty sure it was hardware limitation. No reason for ALBW to do so while L's A doesn't do it. If you're talking about the PH/ST games, they were noticeably worse looking than ALBW was on 3DS.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Pokémon LGPE was also called a "reimagining" with zero additional content and a pretty much 1:1 of the old GameBoy map so I expect the same here.

Including the 60$ price tag.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I LOVED A Link Between Worlds but the art direction outside of the concept art and illustrations was the weakest part of the game for me. This, however, looks like they finally nailed what they tried to do on the 3DS.

Can't be arsed to go through all 80 pages of bitching, but there's clearly a beef here. What's the situation?

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I LOVED A Link Between Worlds but the art direction outside of the concept art and illustrations was the weakest part of the game for me. This, however, looks like they finally nailed what they tried to do on the 3DS.

Can't be arsed to go through all 80 pages of bitching, but there's clearly a beef here. What's the situation?
Pretty much what you would guess. People think the game should be sold for $20 because it looks like a cheap mobile game / is clearly a 3DS project repurposed for Switch / is a GameBoy game. These are all exact quotes.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Pokémon LGPE was also called a "reimagining" with zero additional content and a pretty much 1:1 of the old GameBoy map so I expect the same here.

Including the 60$ price tag.
Pokemon was a remimagining in terms of additional gameplay mechanics like the catching being without battles, Pokemon following you, your partner Pokemon being involved in certain scenarios, etc. Link's Awakening insofar is a 1:1 remake on the surface level, so perhaps there will be portions that are changed. Having finished the game, I can see some things like:
-Tal Tal Heights at the Wind Fish Egg is not a simple climb. I can see the map being reworked in this area.
-A new graveyard dungeon similar to the Color Dungeon that is part of the plot, to make more sense of that ghost haunting you.
-A new dungeon underneath the Rooster Weather Vane.
-As the reworked Tal tal Heights for the Egg, they can stretch the map in the east for the Eagle Tower portion and the rickety bridges. The east stretching out will allow for a larger desert, perhaps a new dungeon to get the key.
-Actually, I can see them giving all 5 keys a new mini dungeon instead of a small overworld challenge.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually pretty sure it was hardware limitation. No reason for ALBW to do so while L's A doesn't do it. If you're talking about the PH/ST games, they were noticeably worse looking than ALBW was on 3DS.
Of course they were noticeable worse looking, they were DS games. In fact, I would argue that relative to it's hardware they looked much more accomplished than ALBW. There's also GTA, which arguably has a lot more going on in terms of simulation. But even if the graphics had to look worse because of the open world, that would just mean that the graphics would have to look worse, not that it's impossible.

There's absolutely no way those transitions were due to a 3DS limitation. And I doubt such suggestion would be welcome back when the game was revealed and the 3DS was still relevant.

Why they are not doing that now? I dunno, perhaps they just want to do it this way now. Happens all the time.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like the look of this and love Zelda, so I'm down.

I'm not down for a full-priced game for it though , so depending on that I may wait or miss it.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017

Totally agree with the ALBW part. I didn't like the look of that game and that didn't stop it from being my favorite 2D Zelda. Great game.

I also don't like the artstyle in LA, but I'm an optimistic guy, I know I'll get used to it and looking at the bright side, at least it's not 3D Dot Game Heroes style. That would be an abomination. :D

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
This remake looks miles better than ALBW, that game looked ugly from day 1, in fact, all the 3DS Zeldas did for some reason.

Is weird that Nintendo didn't manage to exploit the 3DS hardware properly for one of their biggest franchises (Hell, even Samus Returns looked better than all the 3DS Zeldas).

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
This remake looks miles better than ALBW, that game looked ugly from day 1, in fact, all the 3DS Zeldas did for some reason.

Is weird that Nintendo didn't manage to exploit the 3DS hardware properly for one of their biggest franchises (Hell, even Samus Returns looked better than all the 3DS Zeldas).

I think the quite ugly albw artstyle was somehow a consequence of the 60fps decision.
Compromises had to be found and low poly models , low textures were among them...

It still is one of the best 3ds games though.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not shitting on it. I never said the game looks bad, but it does look like your average mobile game and our opinions won't change simply because you are trying to bring them down since it does not align with yours
you can say it looks like a mobile game, and no one can logically disagree with you cuz mobile, like all other platforms, has many games with many different art styles and there's no reason something like this game can't be on mobile, so in that way no one can disproves it looks like a mobile game cuz "looks like a mobile game" is a pretty meaningless statement, like saying it looks like a ps4 game or an xbox game
BUT
saying it looks like your average mobile game is factually wrong. the average mobile game doesn't look like that, the average mobile game is a f2p puzzle or gacha game and has nowhere near the polish or budget or production values of this remake.

If the remake isn't cool, I would've rather have had the GB/C game on Switch especially in this post-roms-shutdown age where preservation is being overwritten by rehashing.
post-roms-shutdown-age? you mean people can no longer as easily pirate it? if you want the rom it's on 3DS virtual console i believe. concerns of preservation doesn't apply to a big game like link's awakening, it's not in any way, shape or form in danger of ever being lost.

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Discussing Link's Awakening kind of makes me want to replay it now, but I know I really shouldn't.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Discussing Link's Awakening kind of makes me want to replay it now, but I know I really shouldn't.
I just did and you won't regret it. Playing it now will freshen you up on the game, and when the remake comes out all the little differences it might have will become much more obvious and let you enjoy it more. Or at least that happens for me with remakes, I seriously can't wait till it comes out later this year.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Also, I'm pretty sure that they will use these assets or engine to remake the Oracle games as well. It just makes sense to reimplement it considering how similar they looked.

(Mind you, I would prefer not since when I think of the Oracle games, I think more of the more human-looking characters).

I wish they used the Oot or MM engine to redo these...

Why would anyone want that?

If anything, I think those games need another remake. The 3DS ones barely did them justice.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
yeah i did, thanks for asking. but the stone had damaged my insides too much so they had to put in a temporary tube until it's all healed, and then i have to have another surgery for it to be taken out.
Fuuuck man. That's some shit I don't wish on anyone. (Well Trump maybe, lol).
Get well soon.

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Labo VR happens and you can use it to be the overhead camera in this I will absolutely loose my mind.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pfff. TP was flawed and that sucked, but it did not lack personality.

This is meme-Zelda and I want something genuine.

It is funny how you guys are having discussions about "art style" when things are far simplier than this. Nintendo never spent a minute on that subject, more likely the approach was "hey Aonuma-San, 3DS is dying, take that LA remake you were cresting for 3DS and port it to the Switch". The aspect of the game is nothing more than the consequence of the reescaling of the ALBW motor with little tweaks and in HD. In such a small trailer you can see lot of things that the motor manages the smae way, like the rendering and shades of the grounds.

IMHO, it is not fair to target 60$ for a remake of a Game Boy game created for 3DS and rescalled for the Switch as a brand new game. But of course, Nintendo has the right to ask for they money they consider. Just dissapointed, and nothing more, thinking in the possibilities of a full Switch-focus remake of LA, wether 2D with a real 2D handmade artstyle or wether 3D with mangaskish-comic-okamis hd art.

I wish they used the Oot or MM engine to redo these...

Christ this thread...gotta unfollow this shit before I hurt myself anymore

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yet a lot of us are going to pay 60$ and find it worth it.

Wait a sec. A shit ton of ppl are okay with supporting mtx and p2w. Is that okay now? Why is everyone so defensive? The pricing is not great even if alot of ppl are paying the asked price.

Imagine remake 2 not having cutting edge graphics. Journalists and fans would kill Capcom for that. Why does Nintendo get a pass is beyond anything.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Also, I'm pretty sure that they will use these assets or engine to remake the Oracle games as well. It just makes sense to reimplement it considering how similar they looked.

(Mind you, I would prefer not since when I think of the Oracle games, I think more of the more human-looking characters).

Why would anyone want that?

If anything, I think those games need another remake. The 3DS ones barely did them justice.
Yeah,I think if they do remake the oracle games, they will use the same engine but with bigger buildings and more proportionate models for the characters. No way you do Olrox or Veran in this miniture figure style.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait a sec. A shit ton of ppl are okay with supporting mtx and p2w. Is that okay now? Why is everyone so defensive? The pricing is not great even if alot of ppl are paying the asked price.

Imagine remake 2 not having cutting edge graphics. Journalists and fans would kill Capcom for that. Why does Nintendo get a pass is beyond anything.
When has Nintendo ever gone with cutting edge graphics?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

just because you think the remake is not worth $60, doesn't mean other people are wrong or being defensive when in their opinion it does. imo the price is great, i would gladly pay for it day 1. nintendo is not getting a pass here, as nothing wrong, anti-consumer or harmful is being done.
and bringing up mtx and p2w is complete nonsense here.

whoa, get well soon!

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Mmm.

Nintendo are known to tweak the graphics at the end of development, and the final game often looks better than the first reveal.

And within the constraints of the switch and 60fps, how do you know they could have done much more?

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Fair enough if people don't like the new artstyle but comparing it to a 3DS game or cheap mobile game just shows how little some people on Era understand how game development works. (and also they need to have their eyes checked).

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
People are really confusing their dislike of the art style with bad graphics. The trailers graphics are great, it has a timeless feel to them and it's way above anything on the 3DS, and I'd argue most things on the Switch too.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mmm.

Nintendo are known to tweak the graphics at the end of development, and the final game often looks better than the first reveal.

And within the constraints of the switch and 60fps, how do you know they could have done much more?

Botw looking alot better and having an advanced physic system is one reason. Assets are kinda basic compared to other big switch titles.

I don't know they have the liwrst
By what account ? How do you determine that ? There's no pass here, the game's worth 60$ and will be sold as much.

Something like rdr 2 and gow should be at 100 bucks at least if this remake is worth 60 bucks. Iam expecting better production values for a fullprice game but it's just my opinion tho.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i know opinions are subjective and all, but this looks like anything but a cash grab. even in that very short trailer you can see how much attention and care has been paid to meticulously remake and reimagine all aspects of the original, how much effort has gone into the beautiful intro and the art style of the game to give it that clay look, how cohesive and coherent and elegant and refined the game's style is, etc
maybe you don't know what cash grab means

well, there was the RE2 remakre recently, there are games like Oceanhorn, etc. going by this, this doesn't looks like a full price title/ambitious game at all. going by them this remake looks terrible. esp since playtime wasn't that long in LA also. LA is one of the all time greats... this cheap shit is just unworthy. and yeah, the intro looks incredible and probably swallowed all the budget, because then they went with c-tier graphics/art.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Botw looking alot better and having an advanced physic system is one reason. Assets are kinda basic compared to other big switch titles.

I don't know they have the liwrst

Something like rdr 2 and gow should be at 100 bucks at least if this remake is worth 60 bucks. Iam expecting better production values for a fullprice game but it's just my opinion tho.
It's a 2d top down zelda, not a giant open world third person action game. Wtf are you talking about?

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Industry's standard is 60 bucks. If we were to take RDR2's production values as the standard then it'd be impossible to sustain this industry if every other game must be half the price at the very minimum. This game being worth 60$ doesn't mean it's worth as much as your other more liked game, but that it's worth his own price. That's it.

Your avatar is Bloodborne. If RDR2 was industry standard, then Bloodborne wouldn't be worth half that 60$ price. See how ridiculous it is ?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
while i don't agree with your evaluation,if it's 60 dollar it would definitely be too expensive
too expensive by what measure? by the measure of what value you put on the game.
if i go with my own personal measures, 80% of games won't be worth the asking price.
for whatever reason, nintendo has selected the $60 price as the price of all of their major first party switch games (except a few exceptions), and it doesn't really bother people looking at the crazy sales of switch games. this is a major game in switch's line up both from the perspective of nintendo, and from the perspective of nintendo fans, so it'll be $60 as well.

if games like
- nsmbudx with minimal additions and just a resolution bump from 720p to 1080p
- tropical freeze which went from $50 dollar on wii u to 60 on switch, again with minimal aditions
- kirby star allies which is a super short and content light game
- etc
can be 60 dollars and the market responds positively to them, what reason does nintendo have to price this from the ground up, fully brand new remake at anything less than that?

well, there was the RE2 remakre recently, there are games like Oceanhorn, etc. going by this, this doesn't looks like a full price title ort ambitious at all. going by them this remake looks terrible. esp since playtime wasnt that long in LA also. LA is one of the all time greats... this cheap shit is just unworthy.
this cheap shit looks beyond amazing to me. you're obviously entitled to your opinion but you don't have to wait long to be proven that your opinion isn't shared by the general video game audience. this will do well both critically and commercially.