• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
The artstyle is simplistic but this is one of the cleanest looking games we've seen on the switch

Raggie

Oct 16, 2018
Personally I'm so glad to get this remake of one of my favorite Zeldas. It looks so cute, Link is adorable! I think the art style is very appropriate to what's probably the most lighthearted Zelda game, with all the Mario stuff and silly humor in there. I can't wait to play and feel like a kid again!

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait a sec. A shit ton of ppl are okay with supporting mtx and p2w. Is that okay now? Why is everyone so defensive? The pricing is not great even if alot of ppl are paying the asked price.

Imagine remake 2 not having cutting edge graphics. Journalists and fans would kill Capcom for that. Why does Nintendo get a pass is beyond anything.
Remake 2 has cutting edge graphics for its genre, artstyle, performance target and hardware it performs on, and so does Link's Awakening.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this cheap shit looks beyond amazing to me. you're obviously entitled to your opinion but you don't have to wait long to be proven that your opinion isn't shared by the general video game audience. this will do well both critically and commercially.

Yeah, people in almost every major gaming site, Ign, Kotaku, Polygon, Easy allies, Kinda funny, etc, loved the announcement and the Art. Also the general opinion for the game is not divisive at all, the majority loved the artstyle.
Whoever thinks that there is gonna be pushback for the art or the price is gonna be very surprised.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The concept of "demand and supply" is clearly something that some will never learn.

Price is not based on "value", almost nothing in the world is.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
disliking the style is one thing but if you think this game has low production values I don't know what to tell ya

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going by this thread on pricing and what some seem to believe that there's some kind of standard for graphics, the concept of "handheld ghetto" still lives on. Just like the Octopath and Kirby threads before it.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Wait a sec. A shit ton of ppl are okay with supporting mtx and p2w. Is that okay now? Why is everyone so defensive? The pricing is not great even if alot of ppl are paying the asked price.

Imagine remake 2 not having cutting edge graphics. Journalists and fans would kill Capcom for that. Why does Nintendo get a pass is beyond anything.

RE2 sure looks nice but it's 2 hours long breh, you really going to pay $60 that?

See? I can spew uninformed bullshit too.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Saw the first part of the video and I said please don't let this be another Wind Waker. Watch the entire video and was pleasantly impressed. I need to go ahead and finish off Zelda on the switch before I touch this game.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Industry's standard is 60 bucks. If we were to take RDR2's production values as the standard then it'd be impossible to sustain this industry if every other game must be half the price at the very minimum. This game being worth 60$ doesn't mean it's worth as much as your other more liked game, but that it's worth his own price. That's it.

Your avatar is Bloodborne. If RDR2 was industry standard, then Bloodborne wouldn't be worth half that 60$ price. See how ridiculous it is ?

I agree that Rdr 2 was an over the top example. It's just that all pubs must be really dumb to sell little remakes and remastered at anything but fullprice.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo can charge what ever they want, I vote with my wallet.

Shame If they were cheaper i would use my Switch more

A hybrid except in pricing

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
I'm not even sure why we keep harping on pricing when we don't even know the full content yet. It could have much more to it than being a 1:1 remake for all we know.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i'll buy it day one. i've not played the original so this is a great opportunity! part of me was hoping for a port of A Link Between Worlds. i guess i better go pick up a 2DS so i can play it again.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Hope the trailer music isn't a representation of the final thing, that didn't sound too good.
Art style is on point though.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Given the Switch market, this Zelda game will be $60. Whether it (or others) should be AAA full price MSRP is up for debate.

DKC: Tropical Freeze - $60
NSMB U Deluxe - $60
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - $60
Bayonetta 2 - $60
Hyrule Warriors - $60
Pokken Tournament DX - $60

Nintendo will not charge less for a total remake vs these ports.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
question: when going to watch a movie or buying a bluray, do people expect to pay less if it's a remake of an older film?

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
question: when going to watch a movie or buying a bluray, do people expect to pay less if it's a remake of an older film?

Considering people were upset at Octopath Traveller, a completely original title, being full price I somehow doubt it's really about it being a remake. They would be complaining if a brand new 2D Zelda was full price.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering people were upset at Octopath Traveller, a completely original title, being full price I somehow doubt it's really about it being a remake. They would be complaining if a brand new 2D Zelda was full price.
let's be honest unless it's a generic third person adventure game on "big boy platforms", some people will find a way to argue why a game isn't worth the asking price
- turn based? nope
- not open world? nope
- non realistic art style? nope
- pixel art? nope
- 2d platformer? nope
- only 20 hours long? nope
- etc

Honestly at this point, posts criticizing the art style would be a welcome break from the incessant weeping and moaning about the price tag. Get a job people.
yeah i wish we could go back to that. at least that one gave us this gem:
In terms of technical and artistic quality, here's one that's not too far off imo. Eternium: Mages and Minions.

mage-and-minions-treasure-chest.jpg

zelda1.jpg

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
Chalk me up as another one who doesn't really feel the new art style. No, rather, I'd prefer this style, but celshaded. We have the intro movie sequence with Link being all hand-drawn Anime like, so why does the game then turn around and go into 'plastic mini figurine in diorama" mode. That's a jarring cut.

I'm not really mad though. Whatever they will serve up I'll devour in earnest. I think they could simply bump the colour palette from GBC to SNES and I'd still throw my money at them for the mere privilege of replaying that game in a new and exciting way. They could 1:1 recreate the slow prompts for the Triforce shard/defense boost/etc events and I'd still enjoy it. I'm that hopeless when it comes to one of my favourite games.

I do hope they have a proper transition cutscene to the main screen (the one where Marin finds the unconscious Link at the beach). Just having him drift around near the island and then panning up to the egg isn't good enough. Might just have been for the trailer, obviously, but I am a concerned citizen in that regard. Don't rob Marin of her cutscene.

(I always found it funny how the devs managed to express the transition from shock to cautious curiosity with just a bunch of wobbles of a sprite. Sure, if Link starts out drifting at sea instead of getting dragged away by a girl the ending will work better, but still. I demand slavish dedication to the source material. Well not really and I realize it's a weird niggle but they must keep the atmosphere intact and I'm worried they won't...)

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading this thread is weird. The art style is far better than I anticipated from the news, and considering it's a complete rebuild of a game that's going to take hours to complete, the price seems reasonable.

This is the first game that really makes me seriously consider buying a Switch.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I find it funny that people think that games developed completely from scratch should magically be cheaper just because there was another version of it made like 20 years ago and at a millionth of the cost. The only argument is that maybe some of the design work is already done, but even then that's like saying a sequel should be cheaper because its inheriting design from a predecessor.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Honestly at this point, posts criticizing the art style would be a welcome break from the incessant weeping and moaning about the price tag. Get a job people.
I'm fine with people just thinking it costs too much but I just don't get people who expected to cost less for some reason.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Chalk me up as another one who doesn't really feel the new art style. No, rather, I'd prefer this style, but celshaded. We have the intro movie sequence with Link being all hand-drawn Anime like, so why does the game then turn around and go into 'plastic mini figurine in diorama" mode. That's a jarring cut.

I'm not really mad though. Whatever they will serve up I'll devour in earnest. I think they could simply bump the colour palette from GBC to SNES and I'd still throw my money at them for the mere privilege of replaying that game in a new and exciting way. They could 1:1 recreate the slow prompts for the Triforce shard/defense boost/etc events and I'd still enjoy it. I'm that hopeless when it comes to one of my favourite games.

I do hope they have a proper transition cutscene to the main screen (the one where Marin finds the unconscious Link at the beach). Just having him drift around near the island and then panning up to the egg isn't good enough. Might just have been for the trailer, obviously, but I am a concerned citizen in that regard. Don't rob Marin of her cutscene.

(I always found it funny how the devs managed to express the transition from shock to cautious curiosity with just a bunch of wobbles of a sprite. Sure, if Link starts out drifting at sea instead of getting dragged away by a girl the ending will work better, but still. I demand slavish dedication to the source material. Well not really and I realize it's a weird niggle but they must keep the atmosphere intact and I'm worried they won't...)
The original game goes from this to small 8 bit sprites.
Links%20Awakening%20-%20Opening%20Cutscene-620x.jpg

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On topic, I wouldn't be surprised if the game was using UE4. It wasn't shown in the video though.
has there been anyone suggesting that it is? sometimes we see people familiar with unreal guessing if a game is UE4 before it is confirmed. i wouldn't be surprised either, i just hope that doesn't mean it won't be 60fps.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm hoping we get a redesigned dungeon inside the Wind Fish's Egg. The maze was easily the worst part of the original game, and really disappointing.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping we get a redesigned dungeon inside the Wind Fish's Egg. The maze was easily the worst part of the original game, and really disappointing.
I think the dungeons all stand to get beefed up a bit, but that last one is a great big nothing and should be replaced wholesale.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

i share your obsession with the game and wanting the remake to be a full, shot for shot remake of the original. i demand ridiculous amounts of respect for the source material.
i don't think they showed the whole intro, so i think the game will come with a longer one covering the whole scene before the title screen comes up.

Honestly the use of DoF in the trailer makes me think a looooot of UE4.
if it is, i really hope it's done better than yoshi. that one looks great in docked mode but the game's resolution in handheld mode is pretty rough.

chapilinux

Mar 29, 2018
you don't know anything about how game development works and it really shows

anyone ever considering more than one minute that this was in production for 3ds at any point is clueless. just the 21 seconds we've seen in the trailer shows game design and art direction ideas that are at the core of this remake and would be straight up impossible on 3ds.

It is broadly known this gane was to be released in 3DS. But yeah, I do not know anything about VG developmemt, so lets assume you really do.
This is not a matter about how much you supposely know but a matter of seeing the trailer with your eyes opened.

People saying the models of characters are not the same that in 3DS. Wow, i never imagined. Just to be totally fair regarding the incredible work of this product, let's remember that Nintendo created a CG movie for the intro. And they changed the Game's logo as well.

Last edited:

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
The original game goes from this to small 8 bit sprites.
Links%20Awakening%20-%20Opening%20Cutscene-620x.jpg
Sure, but that was definitely because the GB/GBC had nowhere near the specs to continue in this style.

And anyway, my issue is that the cutscene in the upcoming rerelease is a full-blown Anime and the gameplay is diorama/plastic-styled. That's a clear break in presentation. The old game couldn't really NOT be a 4-shades-of-green sprite based game, and the cutscene is very much tied by the same restrictions.
The new one can easily either start out with the plastic diorama style (plus some pizzaz and camera angle tweaks and whatnot because cutscene) and continue on as such, or start out with cels and continue accordingly.

And given a choice I'd rather have mini diorama with celshading, personally. My main point remains that I don't like the break in style. That I kinda dislike the shiny plastic figurine art style is rather low priority in comparison.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I should refer back to one of my previous posts in this thread on the choice in art style and why they chose something cute and something not representative of the anime cutscene.
Cute is what I expect of Link's Awakening. It's intro sequence wasn't representative of what I felt the game to be when I played it, in fact, the intro sequence is what I feel represents the real world he inhabits to be which is why that specific anime look are book ends to the game. When actually playing the game it has a strange and cute vibe to it and photos taken within the game are all cute and chibi.
LADX_The_Travels_of_Link_Photo_1.png
LADX_The_Travels_of_Link_Photo_3.png
LADX_The_Travels_of_Link_Photo_4.png
LADX_Link_Plays_With_BowWow.png
LADX_The_Travels_of_Link_Photo_7.png
LADX_Link_and_a_Zora.png
LADX_The_Travels_of_Link_Photo_9.png

Had this been something like the Oracle games, maybe i'd find some issue with it because that game had cutscenes throughout the game showing characters in non-chibi proportions. But I honestly think the style they chose for Link's Awakening fits very well since it's all set in a dreamscape.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
I feel like I should refer back to one of my previous posts in this thread on the choice in art style and why they chose something cute and something not representative of the anime cutscene.

Those photos weren't even in the original game. Link's Awakening DX came out 5 years after the original and appears to have had a completely different team for the new stuff. The people designing the DX photos decided to take the in-game sprites and scale them up as a basis for the proportions, likely for some combination of practical and artistic reasons, but it has nothing to do with the art direction of the original game.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Thread got awful lol. I'm also sick of the price versus time argument
For whatever reasons the English localization decided to make it less obvious.
I knew it was a dream as soon as I started playing as a wee lad. It becomes rather obvious with a few chats with the mysterious owl.

Also was this the first Zelda game with that owl?