• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bolded the relevance. Outside of nostalgia, I don't see the appeal of a game like this in 2019. I also understand that it's OK that not all games are made for me. You should also understand that not everybody should like the games you like.
So top down games should not be made anymore in 2019? You realize this goes for an entirely different gameplay loop than BotW, yes?

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I agree with the music - I hope its great. I can learn to love the art style but Ballad of the Wind Fish (and all the other numerous tracks) is one of my favorite Zelda songs ever. It needs to be larger than life.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah the music need to be perfect for the whole thing to work, if it's not done well the whole thing can become way less effective than it should be. i hope they can get it right.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I cannot wait for more news on this... yeah they NEED to nail the music and sound effects, it plays such a big role for nostalgia. In RE2make the original soundtrack was nearly required for me, it made it so much better.

Edit: The GRRRZZZAWWWWW sound bosses make when hitting/defeating them is burned into my brain!

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, watching various trailer analyses on YouTube with the old chiptune music overlaid on the new remake graphics, it feels like Link's Awakening. Nail the music and they will nail the game.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
if they copy the LttP controls there won't be a shield button at all!!
Well it would be guidelines of course. They're not going to limit it to two buttons. They have four face buttons and four triggers to play around with so I'm sure they'll get it right. It's not like it's their first Zelda.

Definitely. I speculated this earlier, but I think they will stretch it out. Basically, the entire eastern side gets an overhaul thanks to this, because the broken wooden bridges and the Eagle Tower are now pushed towards the right.
-Much larger Tal Tal Heights for the Wind Fish Egg Portion. Turtle Rock and the eastern portion stay the same however.
-South portion gets a complete overhaul thanks to this.
-Larger Desert, Animal Village now in between the face shrine and the Face Shrines, straight east from Mabe Village.
-Kanalet Castle is now directly in the center of the island.
-Martha Bay is now slightly bigger.
Yes, all those cramped areas really need to be expanded. The desert is only 2x4 screens, Mabe is 4x4 with a 1x2 chunk cut out for the forest entrance, Animal Village is 2x2, the castle is 4x4, the Face Shrine dungeon has a whole 4x4 screens dedicated to both the key shrine and the dungeon entrance itself, the lake itself is fairly small, I could go on. Expand some of those things slightly and it'll be great. A lot of the locations are cramped next to others but it never mattered because you never really transitioned between them so you wouldn't notice. But now it scrolls smoothly and you can see other areas from other areas so how's it going to look when you can see the desert right on the other side of a thin wall next to the Animal Village? Or the wall separating the moat of the castle from the rapids right next door? Liberties will be taken. I can't wait to see how they model the island.

Not smaller per say, however it will severely shorten the games play time by hours. Going through that overworld without screen transitions will definitely be an issue in this regard, its already smaller than LttP.
As I posted a few pages back, you can pretty much almost fit the entirety of Link's Awakening's maps inside the LttP overworld map. It's that small. Not only is each screen less than half the size in tiles of a SNES screen (10x8 tiles for GameBoy vs. about 16x14 for a SNES screen) but the map is only 16x16 screens with each dungeon limited to the same and another 16x16 map dedicated to all the caves and houses and other random rooms. So hopefully they do expand some things a bit just to make it feel less cramped.

Nintendo probably saw these and laughed:

3whvC6W.gif

ADDStcV.gif

K0LN4pB.gif
I would love to see a game in this art style. It doesn't need to be Zelda.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the locations are cramped next to others but it never mattered because you never really transitioned between them so you wouldn't notice. But now it scrolls smoothly and you can see other areas from other areas so how's it going to look when you can see the desert right on the other side of a thin wall next to the Animal Village? Or the wall separating the moat of the castle from the rapids right next door? Liberties will be taken. I can't wait to see how they model the island.

They could just block the camera from scrolling too far in some select areas. It doesn't have to be free scrolling everywhere.

LinktothePastGOAT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're ALL nuts who are complaining about the art style. Seeing as how LttP has the greatest zelda art style ever, I'd LOVE to see it remade in this one. Blows away the LbtW one. Also, this game looks absolutely FANTASTIC!

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
I can't wait to play this game! I hope they keep the ability to steal in this game. lol incidentally I always name my character Thief when I play Link's awakening... for uh.... "Reasons"

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It's nuts how much of the map is dedicated to the raft mini game.

I'm hoping they make everything larger, but also a bit more purposeful. The dungeons are crazy and frankly under appreciated, but they could use a lot more style to give their layout and decor a greater sense of place and purpose.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Something I was thinking about: I've heard and read multiple people say they wished the entire game looked like the intro animation.

That's seems pretty unfeasible, doesn't it? What's the closest a game with 3D models has gotten to looking like a hand drawn animation?

Oct 26, 2017
First of all, I like the artstyle. It's not what I would have chosen to do, but they are going for a very specific chibi macro lens aesthetic which creates a new toybox feel, and it looks good.

I'm of the camp that says the Link you were supposed to be imagining when playing Link's Awakening was the guy in the boat intro and in all the promo art. Link and Koholint Island looked like a Saturday morning cartoon - not realistic at all. But the idea that the disconnect between the intro cutscene and the gameplay graphics was an intentional decision to show that Link was in bizarre dream world is nebulous at best. You can make that argument for the remake, certainly, but Links Awakening's graphics are nothing more than typical top down 8-bit adventure/RPG graphics of their time. In gameplay it looks like its contemporaries - in fact, it looks exactly like an 8 bit monochrome A Link to the Past, a game decisively not set in a dream world.

TheCongressman raises a good point about Pokémon Red/Blue. When playing that game, you don't take the graphics at face value and assume the ludonarrative world of Pokémon is super deformed. You are imagining you are in a cartoon world that looks like the Sugimori's artwork or the anime. In the game's intro, a more naturalistically proportioned Red is literally transformed into a chibi avatar, a cute visual indicator of "entering" the Pokemon world, but also a cheeky acknowledgement of the graphical limitations.

e7c21a9a3e70af87803fac05c2ad21de91c10275_hq.gif

As TheCongressman points out, the game even switches back to the more naturalistic avatar for battle scenes, but it's something you don't even think about. The characters are not literally shrinking and growing before your eyes like some Alice in Wonderland nightmare, the battles merely offer a detailed close up view.

You only have to look at Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee to see that the overworld gameplay graphics now resemble the Sugimori/anime art, proportions and all.

Nintendo have opted to take a very literal approach with the Link's Awakening remake and I like it. But in another world, they could have approached it like Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee and it would be equally as valid, if not more so.

THANK YOU!!!

That was the entire point I was trying to make before, and why I brought up Pokemon as to why you shouldn't view Link's Awakening as literally splitting itself up to multiple artstyles (if you want to interpret LA as having multiple artstyles bc of its dream themings, cool that's your interpretation). It was Nintendo working around the limitations of their handheld.

Error_404

Nov 12, 2017
Something I was thinking about: I've heard and read multiple people say they wished the entire game looked like the intro animation.

That's seems pretty unfeasible, doesn't it? What's the closest a game with 3D models has gotten to looking like a hand drawn animation?
Probably Rayman Legends or Child of Light. The Ubiart engine should honestly be used more

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the art style however I don't know about the music. Although we only heard one track but it sounded a little underwhelming for me.
The GB title screen used to generate excitement, now it sounds a little off.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the art style however I don't know about the music. Although we only heard one track but it sounded a little underwhelming for me.
The GB title screen used to generate excitement, now it sounds a little off.
I think it's meant to emphasize the low-key-ness of the adventure. If Breath of the Wild was grand, this is the opposite.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bolded the relevance. Outside of nostalgia, I don't see the appeal of a game like this in 2019. I also understand that it's OK that not all games are made for me. You should also understand that not everybody should like the games you like.
I would maybe start with A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time, but you may also find them too outdated for your tastes.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually do wonder why they didn't do the opening animation in the clay style of the game or vice-versa. It only used super-deformed sprites on GB due to tech limitations anyway.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The art has grown on me and isn't bad. I still want another top down Zelda that looks more like ALLTP / MC though..

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I actually do wonder why they didn't do the opening animation in the clay style of the game or vice-versa. It only used super-deformed sprites on GB due to tech limitations anyway.

Because the art style chosen wasn't solely due to tech limitations and the deformed chibi style, including all the higher resolution photos of link deliberately look different to the art style used in the few cutscenes that are not on the island.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Well it would be guidelines of course. They're not going to limit it to two buttons. They have four face buttons and four triggers to play around with so I'm sure they'll get it right. It's not like it's their first Zelda.

Yes, all those cramped areas really need to be expanded. The desert is only 2x4 screens, Mabe is 4x4 with a 1x2 chunk cut out for the forest entrance, Animal Village is 2x2, the castle is 4x4, the Face Shrine dungeon has a whole 4x4 screens dedicated to both the key shrine and the dungeon entrance itself, the lake itself is fairly small, I could go on. Expand some of those things slightly and it'll be great. A lot of the locations are cramped next to others but it never mattered because you never really transitioned between them so you wouldn't notice. But now it scrolls smoothly and you can see other areas from other areas so how's it going to look when you can see the desert right on the other side of a thin wall next to the Animal Village? Or the wall separating the moat of the castle from the rapids right next door? Liberties will be taken. I can't wait to see how they model the island.

As I posted a few pages back, you can pretty much almost fit the entirety of Link's Awakening's maps inside the LttP overworld map. It's that small. Not only is each screen less than half the size in tiles of a SNES screen (10x8 tiles for GameBoy vs. about 16x14 for a SNES screen) but the map is only 16x16 screens with each dungeon limited to the same and another 16x16 map dedicated to all the caves and houses and other random rooms. So hopefully they do expand some things a bit just to make it feel less cramped.

I would love to see a game in this art style. It doesn't need to be Zelda.
Reading this post rekindled my appreciation for LA's map design.

Everything was so tiny, yet the separate screens and the brilliant map design made each screen transition a surprise and it made the whole game feel much bigger than it is. Amazing how they felt they could dedicate a portion of the overworld map of significant size to a completely optional minigame - that's how tightly they designed the relevant areas of the game.

Making full use of every screen is what I love in older games. It may feel cramped by today's standards, but the techincal restraints surely spurred some clever game design.

No screen transitions and bigger screen estate could make a 1:1 remake feel incredibly small. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the lego look. I'd prefer a 2D remake that looked like Minish Cap, which is sadly the last original 2D zelda and still the best looking game in the 2d branch of the series.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had the game been like this, I would have pre-ordered already.

The plastic looking rubbish they presented... can't support that choice.
Nah, the official remake looks a dozen times better. The art style you want could as well run on a DS with lower res...

And the plastic look is realised by advanced and modern rendering techniques such as PBR and bump mapped textures. It looks modern and graphically very good.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
THANK YOU!!!

That was the entire point I was trying to make before, and why I brought up Pokemon as to why you shouldn't view Link's Awakening as literally splitting itself up to multiple artstyles (if you want to interpret LA as having multiple artstyles bc of its dream themings, cool that's your interpretation). It was Nintendo working around the limitations of their handheld.
I'm a bit confused why you say people shouldn't view it a certain way, but then say it's down to interpretation?

Personally, I think it could quite easily be a bit of both. The GB had obvious technical limitations, but personally I find the two art styles too distinct (even for just an intro) to not have been some kind of choice. This is kind of supported and negated by the chibi-esque photos in the DX version on GBC (supervised by the original team), and then by the more intro-like illustrations in the manuals respectively - either way, I think it's a bit too far to say it was definitely one way or the other

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
that art style looks like a weird emulator smoothing filter

it's cute as a piece of fanart, though

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Talking about the art style, not the animation.

The two are inextricably intertwined. It's not feasible nor really acceptable for a company like Nintendo to create a world with such minimal animation, which that kind of style requires. (Or an unfeasible amount of work).

Besides, Nintendo learnt all it needed to regarding what the majority want when they went all in on a hand drawn set style once... And nobody bought it. Once Wario land: shake dimension sold barely a million copies to NSMBW selling over thirty million, that was it and everything they made afterwards went 2.5d for good.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, the official remake looks a dozen times better. The art style you want could as well run on a DS with lower res...

And the plastic look is realised by advanced and modern rendering techniques such as PBR and bump mapped textures. It looks modern and graphically very good.
Agreed. That hand drawn style would only really work on the DS.

What we have now is significantly better and more suited for the Switch.

thebisonxrc

Oct 25, 2017
What a great surprise! I love the graphics. I think it looks wonderful and will no doubt be gorgeous from beginning to end. To know that I'll be playing this before the end of the year is very exciting!

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I've been playing LA on my 3ds to fill the void after that direct reveal.
I'm excited about this remake and it has me wondering if Nintendo has a bigger plan by specifically remaking this one.

where was Link going while riding that sail? Maybe the next big Zelda game will take place following Links awakening from the dream. Just a thought

I would've personally preferred a Link to the Past remake, it wasn't the first Zelda I played but it was the first one I completed. Plus the theme of the whole sound track in that game that's been remade orchestrated is real epic. The music alone would give me chills.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Why would yall want more of the same? I welcome experimenting with different art styles.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought it was strange that Hyrule Historia canonically places the Oracle games after Link's Awakening. Especially because they end with this:
24.png

25.png

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I love this point in the timeline!

First it's a 3DS game in HD. Then the PS2 can make it. Then it's N64 level (minus a few tweaks).
Finally we got to the point where fan games are better! Bless you sir!

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought it was strange that Hyrule Historia canonically places the Oracle games after Link's Awakening. Especially because they end with this:
24.png

25.png
from what I understand Hyrule Historia actually did place LA after the Oracle games, but then the Encyclopedia came out a few years later and changed it to the other way around

it's weird

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
24.png

25.png
I'm becoming more convinced that when it comes to the Zelda series, my own head canon is more valid that the constant retcons of the official source. Heck, BotW is basically a giant middle finger to timeline theorists, and I kind of really appreciate that.