• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey was kind of this, and I expect a Odyssey 2 game to be even crazier tbh.
yeah but i just want a NEW (not new!) 2D mario game. the style is super stale, nothing really changes between the games. the 3D games are allowed to go crazy but nintendo is super conservative when it comes to 2D mario. imagine a new mario land, daisy instead of peach, the usual enemies out, weird fire power, bunny ears power up, etc.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
mario maker 2 - 88
marvel ultimate alliance 3 - 73
fire emblem three houses - 89
astral chain - 87
link's awakening - 88

in exactly 12 weeks
crazy output from a single publisher

ezgif-5-0d1df14770d8dek4a.gif
I thought MUA3 had a better MC score. It's a fun game imo, I had great times with it this july, I expected something between 76 and 80.

But yeah, still a crazy summer for Nintendo.
And the year isn't over, Luigi's Mansion 3 is very likely to be the Nintendo game with the best score this year, given how previews can't stop talking about how fucking good and fun it is, already saying it's going to be the best one of the trilogy.
And Pokémon should score something between 85 and 90, hype for this one too.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
First Zelda to Link to the Past was an amazing improvement on the design. (Skip Zelda 2 cause it's a side scroller)
Personally, I've always liked how the first Zelda handled everything.
Dungeons filled with monsters, nasty as hell Wizrobes, the drastically different second quest.

That stuff still fascinates the hell out of me, and I wish there was another game along those lines.
(There probably is, but it's also probably loaded with roguelike bullshit)

Oct 25, 2017
It bums me so much to read reviews talk about the game design like it's not viable today, that's it's too old fashion. I will always think old school Zelda is better design than BOTW.
Explain to me the logic in knowing you need to go to a raccoon and spray to turn him back to a person to move the story forward.

Stuff like that in essence is my issue with old school Zelda design. There are other things to like about it, but theres some obtuse ass logic people frequently let go of because they had all the time in the world to figure it out as kids and just know the shortcut now.

Like giving gates guards drinks in the original Pokemon.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
mario maker 2 - 88
astral chain - 87
link's awakening - 88

in exactly 12 weeks

If we're mentioning MUA3, then we should also mention Daemon X Machina, which has a score of 70. I mean, it's actually a Marvelous game, but Nintendo publishes it outside of Japan. On that note, DQXIS should score in line with Nintendo's own releases.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we're mentioning MUA3, then we should also mention Daemon X Machina, which has a score of 70. I mean, it's actually a Marvelous game, but Nintendo publishes it outside of Japan. On that note, DQXIS should score in line with Nintendo's own releases.
i only included nintendo-produced games. DxM and DQ are marevlous and SE games, with nintendo only handling publishing in certain regions.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Explain to me the logic in knowing you need to go to a raccoon and spray to turn him back to a person to move the story forward.

Stuff like that in essence is my issue with old school Zelda design. There are other things to like about it, but theres some obtuse ass logic people frequently let go of because they had all the time in the world to figure it out as kids and just know the shortcut now.

It's not like there's much else to do at that point in Link's Awakening. And the Saffron guards do say they're thirsty.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

The game makes it very obvious at every point what you need to do though.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
yeah but i just want a NEW (not new!) 2D mario game. the style is super stale, nothing really changes between the games. the 3D games are allowed to go crazy but nintendo is super conservative when it comes to 2D mario. imagine a new mario land, daisy instead of peach, the usual enemies out, weird fire power, bunny ears power up, etc.
Well, as the Switch already has both a really classic 2D Mario and a 2D Mario Creator, the next one needs to be something that can be created via Maker. If there is a new 2D Mario (either in the Switch or Switch 2) I expect it to be something fresh and crazy.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017

Whaaaa? This part is pretty straight forward.

if people arent trying to rush through a game but instead absorb it in, its simple.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I wonder if this version will have 26 or so secret seashells and still require only 20 for the lvl 2 sword.
Or if it'll have an insanely large amount of unneeded dungeon in the 7th dungeon.

I actually loved those two little oddities. Made it fun to explore stuff that didn't really matter, but add more content for funsies. It always seemed like it was an oversight so they probably fixed them.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
GameXplain's video seems to suggest it runs better off Internal Switch Download:

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019

How is giving someone thirsty a drink obtuse logic?

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I wonder if this version will have 26 or so secret seashells and still require only 20 for the lvl 2 sword.
Or if it'll have an insanely large amount of unneeded dungeon in the 7th dungeon.

I actually loved those two little oddities. Made it fun to explore stuff that didn't really matter, but add more content for funsies. It always seemed like it was an oversight so they probably fixed them.
It has more seashells than the original. I think there are 45 in total this time. The 7th dungeon is still a thing.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the color hue change in the DF video, looks like when you first go into blight town in dark souls 🤢

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to play this again for the first time in almost 20 years. Maybe I'll be able to finish it since I'm not a kid with no patience anymore lol. 2D Zelda is best Zelda.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Well they made it easier to find seashells. You will see with one reward.
Haha yeah the 7th dungeon and 8th dungeon had me scratching my head sometimes.
Can you still miss out on earlier seashell rewards if you don't get them before reaching the next goal? I know in the original it was just a couple of extra seashells but still.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Can you still miss out on earlier seashell rewards if you don't get them before reaching the next goal? I know in the original it was just a couple of extra seashells but still.
Not that I know of. This time it seems you need all seashells to get the sword. I finished it with the standard one on normal.
I think you cannot miss those rewards.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Relieved to see the reviews. My main hang up was with the performance issues...but it seems like it's not that disruptive to the experience? Most of the reviews seem to say it exists, but tolerable. Not glowing, but I was afraid of worse.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Saddened by the price for this title but at the same time excited to dive back in. I don't understand Nintendo's recent pricing strategy at all.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Good to see it getting good reviews. Really looking forward to playing this. It's going to feel like a new game for me as I wasn't really old enough to grapple with it when it was released and I don't think I have gone back into to replay it , although I do have some vague recollection of doing so! Who knows!

I do think there it is a bit of a missed opportunity by not including the Gameboy and DX versions as well. Think that would have made an extremely attractive package: Don't often buy physical anymore but would have certainly done so for that

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
mario maker 2 - 88
astral chain - 87
link's awakening - 88

in exactly 12 weeks

Don't forget Daemon X Machina!

And we're not done yet for the year. Awesome second half of 2019 for Nintendo.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Relieved to see the reviews. My main hang up was with the performance issues...but it seems like it's not that disruptive to the experience? Most of the reviews seem to say it exists, but tolerable. Not glowing, but I was afraid of worse.

from the digital foundry video it seems like the framerate dips are limited to transitions and are brief, other than the swamp area which has legit performance issues