• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 29, 2018
68/100 Metacritic/Opencritic Average

+ Impressive rendering technology for visuals
+ Content faithful to the original
+ Mostly cute soundtrack

- Stuttering framerate makes it unplayable
- Link's Awakening does not hold up, game design is dated
- New vocalised JPOP themes for boss fights a misplaced addition
- Cosmetic microtransaction DLC forced into numerous conversations
Teehee

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
When has performance impacted the score for a Nintendo game lol
8.5/10 from me.

The frame-rate issues, lack of new content & price dropped it from hitting the 9/9.5 that it probably deserves.
So I've reviewed the game for the Dutch website InsideGamer, you can read the full review here. The review will also be on Metacritic. I've translated the conclusion for you:

'Gameplaywise, Link's Awakening is pretty much the same game as the original. That says as much as the high quality of the 26 year old game as this remake. The big improvement is in the graphics and audio. The framerate is anything but stable though, and it would've been great if Nintendo would've added another extra action button for items. It also feels kind of by-the-numbers to go back to the basic Zelda-structure after original games like Breath of the Wild and Cadence of Hyrule. Still, this is a very nice remake that you'll be able to enjoy for a good fifteen hours or so.'

Grade: 8/10

Positives:
+ A magical world to explore
+ Great graphics and audio
+ Gameplay is top notch

Negatives:
- The old Zelda-structure is getting tired
- The framerate stutters every now and then
- Another extra button for item placement would've been perfect

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

Some pics I made:
September 19th 2019.

No seriously, it seems most of them are listing framerate issues as a negative so, I'd say yeah, they have impacted the scores.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Exactly. If this game was named the Legend of Hilda, it wouldn't even get a 47 on Metacritic.
Uh, excuse me, but a game based on best girl would get constant 10/10s.
feth_hilda_by_mochiricecake_ddbtlgi-fullview.jpg

Terrysaur

Jun 14, 2019
Hot take – people calling OG Link's Awakening one of the best games ever made and then complaining about its remake being full price is hilarious.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand "Zelda formula" as a negative. I think it's an utterly fantastic formula that no other games really have (including BOTW). That's something I just don't get. Lack of new content, framerate issues, and high price tag I do understand as criticisms however.
Because we're going from two of the most open Zelda games to the most linear and gated. That'll be a bit jarring for some.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Sounds about right. It can only score so high being a remake. I'm not usually that person but if someone gives it a middling score that opinion can go in the trash. Links Awakening is too good to be anything less than great.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad reviews don't overreact to frame rate. Just briefly say it's there, and users can decide for themselves if they care. Rambling on about it is irritating and pointless since it has almost nothing to do with how good the game is.

Do any of the reviews comment on length? Is it exactly the same as the original?

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Because we're going from two of the most open Zelda games to the most linear and gated. That'll be a bit jarring for some.

That's exactly it. Context is a thing!

can you give me a link and a short translation?

So I've reviewed the game for the Dutch website InsideGamer, you can read the full review here. The review will also be on Metacritic. I've translated the conclusion for you:

'Gameplaywise, Link's Awakening is pretty much the same game as the original. That says as much as the high quality of the 26 year old game as this remake. The big improvement is in the graphics and audio. The framerate is anything but stable though, and it would've been great if Nintendo would've added another extra action button for items. It also feels kind of by-the-numbers to go back to the basic Zelda-structure after original games like Breath of the Wild and Cadence of Hyrule. Still, this is a very nice remake that you'll be able to enjoy for a good fifteen hours or so.'

Grade: 8/10

Positives:
+ A magical world to explore
+ Great graphics and audio
+ Gameplay is top notch

Negatives:
- The old Zelda-structure is getting tired
- The framerate stutters every now and then
- Another extra button for item placement would've been perfect

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

Some pics I made:

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And... preordered. It's coming tomorrow! Never played the original, but I got spoiled about the story in the meantime. No biggie though, I'm excited nonetheless

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, excuse me, but a game based on best girl would get constant 10/10s.
feth_hilda_by_mochiricecake_ddbtlgi-fullview.jpg

Not the Hilda I was thinking of.

1047947-hildatwigroundelfinal-lr.jpg

(Give us a Season 2 date already)

I think I got to dungeon 5/6 in Link's Awekening DX? The game was only available at a summer caravan though so I didn't have enough time to beat it all in all.

Also sorta tired of reading all the "Linear is bad" takes. I've preferred the Linear Outings over the Open World take in the Zelda Series.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I'm surprised that a 2Dish game like this could have such technical issues. It's odd.
This is a misconception really. There's much more to coding and optimizing a game than just" increasing or tuning down the graphics to make it run better". That is what is easier to understand to the general public, but there's a series of other issues that can cap a game performance. Sometimes the mechanics interact with the overall system in ways harder to predict, the functions may cause others to lag internally, optimization errors can happen where a cascade effect makes the game more than it should, etc.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
I'm surprised that a 2Dish game like this could have such technical issues. It's odd.

it's a full 3d game with "2d" camera topdown, the game weights as any modern 3d game.
everything going on screen impacts perfomance as a 3d game with orbiting tpp camera :)

This is a misconception really. There's much more to coding and optimizing a game than just" increasing or tuning down the graphics to make it run better". That is what is easier to understand to the general public, but there's a series of other issues that can cap a game performance. Sometimes the mechanics interact with the overall system in ways harder to predict, the functions may cause others to lag internally, optimization errors can happen where a cascade effect makes the game more than it should, etc.

beat me to it hehehe, thanks for the detailed explanation :)

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
High 80's for basically a 1:1 remake is amazing. It might have got to the 90's if it didn't have the performance hiccups.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Also sorta tired of reading all the "Linear is bad" takes. I've preferred the Linear Outings over the Open World take in the Zelda Series.

LA is, from my experience anyway, one of the more linear games in the series. Not just that you need to get X item and use it on this part of the map to get to the next area (since they all do that), but the game very explicitly directs you go to this or that place. There is also little reason to go places early since you can't really do much there (e.g. the hedge maze), and generally the game is very light on secrets and side stuff. So there's not a lot you'll get out of exploring compared to ALBW or ALTTP for example. They added some more shells to this version at least.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Technical issues aside it sounds like it's good, it'd be nice to see a patch that gives an option to lock the framerate at 30 but it doesn't sound unplayable.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Time to see if the performance issuesTM ERA 2019 are real or ginned up concern trolling..
Oof! What a terrible post and you even had to add a silly trademark.

Scores are looking great, which is not surprising considering the game it is based on, so this definitely goes to the must-buy list and as I said in a previous thread, I hope some of the issues will have been fixed by the time I get it. I also hope they let us adjust the blur that borders the screen, it doesn't look good and was very distracting in the few previews I watched.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The performance issues have nothing to do with the chosen graphical style here. It's a fully 3D game, but there is also nothing here that should preclude getting to 60 fps if that had been the focus. I can only presume that stable performance wasn't a high priority for the devs, which is unfortunate. You look at say, Yoshi's Crafted World, which you could also call '2Dish' if you really wanted, and that's a very stable 60, at the cost of image quality, because stable performance was obviously a key design goal.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
If we've been getting both I'd agree, but the last truly original 2D Zelda was Spirit Tracks so excuse my "fuck another remake" mindset. Unless you want to count Triforce Heroes.
I mean, ALBW was a direct sequel rather than a nebulous alt-timeline pseudo-sequel but I don't think that makes it not original.