• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No one but remakes are great too and there's no reason both couldn't happen.

Problem is, while you're in principle right, it's not happened that way.

Link between worlds started as a remake too, and still ended up reusing a bunch of edited lttp content. We've not had a fully original 2d Zelda since spirit tracks, and the last really good original 2d Zelda was minish cap all the way back on the GBA.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
You look at say, Yoshi's Crafted World, which you could also call '2Dish' if you really wanted, and that's a very stable 60, at the cost of image quality, because stable performance was obviously a key design goal.

Yoshi went down to stupidly low resolutions to keep that 60fps. For the majority, it's the graphics that help make a remake what it is, framerate is important but is secondary.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
If we've been getting both I'd agree, but the last truly original 2D Zelda was Spirit Tracks so excuse my "fuck another remake" mindset. Unless you want to count Triforce Heroes.

Pretty sure A Link Between Worlds was the last original single player 2D Zelda?

Anyway, I reject the notion that remakes and remasters get in the way of them making original 2D Zelda games as time and time again Nintendo has mostly farmed out remakes & remasters.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
There's a lot of talk about why reviewers - including me - talk about the old school structure of the game. Ive translated a small part of my review that hopefully explains it better. Keep in mind this is translated from Dutch so go easy on me.

"Apart from the unique setting, Link's Awakening is very similar to that other top-down Zelda-game that received praise in the ninetees: A Link to the Past. Just as in that game, during this adventure you'll collect items to gain access to new places and dungeons. Even though the game is situated on a unique island, the locations are for the most part very recognisable for Zelda-players. You'll visit a small village, maze-like forests, mountains, a lake and a desert. Its standard stuff for Zelda-players.

This structure has been a staple of Zelda-games for all these years for good reason. Its still very satisfying to solve puzzles in a new area, get access to a dungeon and find a new item, and to repeat this gameplayloop for eight or so times. Still, the concept is as old as the franchise itself. Recently published Zelda-games like Breath of the Wild and Cadence of Hyrule were so succesful in shaking things up for the series, that they make Link's Awakening feel like a step backwards every now and then. Its not the end of the world, but for long time fans it makes the experience feel a bit routinely at times."

Hope that helps!

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
By the way you can still use the guides for the Game Boy release. This is totally true to the original release. They only added only more seashells and changed the photographer for the Dungeon creator. Also more heart pieces to get.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure A Link Between Worlds was the last original single player 2D Zelda?

Anyway, I reject the notion that remakes and remasters get in the way of them making original 2D Zelda games as time and time again Nintendo has mostly farmed out remakes & remasters.
And I like that game, but it was primarily based around A Link to the Past.

You're rejecting the notion of what has literally been happening for the past decade.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Fantastic reviews
ezgif-1-95351588ff9aqej1t.gif

Great way to end the summer for Nintendo, great season for them
ezgif-1-95351588ff9aqej1t.gif

Moz La Punk

Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
By the way you can still use the guides for the Game Boy release. This is totally true to the original release. They only added only more seashells and changed the photographer for the Dungeon creator. Also more heart pieces to get.

And a new minigame with collectables. And the place before the final battle has new routes (there were only three in the original).

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this will sound like a major stoner thing to say (which I don't consider myself as being) - but this game looks like a dope game to get high to play. That toy-like look, the nostalgia, the music, the gameplay being simple, etc.

Where's the review site that only reviews whether games are a good "high play"?!

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the game in one sitting, never played the original, but liked this one a lot. The framerate dips are noticeable and for some reason even present on the map screen. But it didn't stop the game being a jolly adventure. Some Zelda games I can't stand (Wind Waker) but have loved BOTW, Link Between Worlds and now this. I think it will review highly despite the performance and crazy price for a remake (£50 on Amazon)!

How long did it take you to finish?

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
I mean I don't get why would this be a step backwards when it's a remake and Nintendo released BOTW and announced a sequel that might follow BOTW steps.

Even if Nintendo released a brand new game with the ALTTP structure it wouldn't be a step backwards because we will still get games like BOTW, so we are getting two different things and the old the ALTTP structure is not bad so it wouldn't be a regression, sounds like a bad thing when it's not.

Moz La Punk

Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
this will sound like a major stoner thing to say (which I don't consider myself as being) - but this game looks like a dope game to get high to play. That toy-like look, the nostalgia, the music, the gameplay being simple, etc.

Where's the review site that only reviews whether games are a good "high play"?!

If it helps, I've played part of it high lol :)

I mean I don't get why would this be a step backwards when it's a remake and Nintendo released BOTW and announced a sequel that might follow BOTW steps.

Even if Nintendo released a brand new game with the ALTTP structure it wouldn't be a step backwards because we will still get games like BOTW, so we are getting two different things and the old the ALTTP structure is not bad so it wouldn't be a regression, sounds like a bad thing when it's not.

Maybe this helps.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
They are included now at the 87 mark.

Edit: Also, if you read even one review you can see that they all mention the frame stutters. The game would have scored slightly better without the frame issues for sure. It clearly doesn't impact the gameplay significantly though.

I dont think I ever mentioned anything about the the stuttering? :S Or was it directed to someone else?

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i really enjoyed albw gameplay, even combat
will this deliver for me? it looks kinda too simple combat wise from videos but I've really only seen beginning stuff

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Yoshi went down to stupidly low resolutions to keep that 60fps. For the majority, it's the graphics that help make a remake what it is, framerate is important but is secondary.

Yoshi has low resolution, but despite that its still look quite nice, most people were very surprised when DF done Yoshi analysis and revealed at what resolution Yoshi runs, because it looked like it runs at higher resolution (most people thought it runs at around 900p).

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome scores, but I expected them. After all Link's Awakening is one of the best Zelda games. Was a fan of the art style the moment they announced it and I cannot wait to re-experience this gem of a game.

Oct 25, 2017

To you ... it's not. To you.

Again, going directly from the MOST open non linear Zelda to the MOST gated and linear, theres no way not to feel that. And it's okay to be bothered by it. And if it doesnt bother you, cool.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Nintendo Insider - 9/10
What's far more important is that The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening is just as magical as it ever was, and, in being remade, has lost none of the charm that made the original so special in the first place. Grezzo must take the credit for that, delivering an exceptional remake that's both a perfect entry point for those new to the series and a worthwhile nostalgic trip for those that have set out on this adventure before.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
There's a lot of talk about why reviewers - including me - talk about the old school structure of the game. Ive translated a small part of my review that hopefully explains it better. Keep in mind this is translated from Dutch so go easy on me.

"Apart from the unique setting, Link's Awakening is very similar to that other top-down Zelda-game that received praise in the ninetees: A Link to the Past. Just as in that game, during this adventure you'll collect items to gain access to new places and dungeons. Even though the game is situated on a unique island, the locations are for the most part very recognisable for Zelda-players. You'll visit a small village, maze-like forests, mountains, a lake and a desert. Its standard stuff for Zelda-players.

This structure has been a staple of Zelda-games for all these years for good reason. Its still very satisfying to solve puzzles in a new area, get access to a dungeon and find a new item, and to repeat this gameplayloop for eight or so times. Still, the concept is as old as the franchise itself. Recently published Zelda-games like Breath of the Wild and Cadence of Hyrule were so succesful in shaking things up for the series, that they make Link's Awakening feel like a step backwards every now and then. Its not the end of the world, but for long time fans it makes the experience feel a bit routinely at times."

Hope that helps!
I completely understand and respect it as a valid point, but i dont agree at all. I dont think the new direction with botw is nearly as satisfying as the traditional zelda one, and on times like this, where to me the vast majority of games are completely forgettable and made with filler in mind to extend time played, i miss it more than ever.

Oct 27, 2017
it's a full 3d game with "2d" camera topdown, the game weights as any modern 3d game.
everything going on screen impacts perfomance as a 3d game with orbiting tpp camera :)

That's actually false. 3D games with a fixed top-down camera are much less demanding than games with free cameras, as you know exactly what can and can't be in the player's field of view at any time, and all the geometry is on a single close plane so you don't have to worry about rendering stuff behind other things or far off into the distance.

Moz La Punk

Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I completely understand and respect it as a valid point, but i dont agree at all. I dont think the new direction with botw is nearly as satisfying as the traditional zelda one, and on times like this, where to me the vast majority of games are completely forgettable and made with filler in mind to extend time played, i miss it more than ever.

I think that's fair. Keep in mind - as you probably know yourself - that reviews are by definition subjective. Its just what popped in my mind every now and then while playing, and I felt I owed it to my readers to at least mention it. It isn't reflected by much in the mark (8/10) I gave it though.

Its not like Im of the opinion that BotW was perfect or anything. I missed quite a few traditional elements from old Zelda's. But Links Awakening feels A LOT like LttP. I mean, its on an island, it isnt even Hyrule, why are the locations (mountains, lake, desert, etc) pretty much the same? Shake things up a bit! Of course I understand they didnt do that cause its a remake, but in 2019 as someone who has played tons of Zelda-games, I felt it nonetheless.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
The reviews are great so far. It seems like my prediction of 88 is still possible. I do hope that I can play the game at midnight unline Cuphead which was available around 4 pm the next day.

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
To you ... it's not. To you.

Again, going directly from the MOST open non linear Zelda to the MOST gated and linear, theres no way not to feel that. And it's okay to be bothered by it. And if it doesnt bother you, cool.

Ehm if you get different games and then you get one with the older structure you might not feel that way anymore, just be open to that idea

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Scoring higher than I expected. It looks like framerate problems are not that bad, or at least thats what reviewers think.
Cant wait to see for myself tonight ;)

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I think that's fair. Keep in mind - as you probably know yourself - that reviews are by definition subjective. Its just what popped in my mind every now and then while playing, and I felt I owed it to my readers to at least mention it. It isn't reflected by much in the mark (8/10) I gave it though.

Its not like Im of the opinion that BotW was perfect or anything. I missed quite a few traditional elements from old Zelda's. But Links Awakening feels A LOT like LttP. I mean, its on an island, it isnt even Hyrule, why are the locations (mountains, lake, desert, etc) pretty much the same? Shake things up a bit! Of course I understand they didnt do that cause its a remake, but in 2019 as someone who has played tons of Zelda-games, I felt it nonetheless.
Oh dw, i know its subjective. Just felt like sharing with you, since you argued your point well. I dont really care about the scores.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
That's actually false. 3D games with a fixed top-down camera are much less demanding than games with free cameras, as you know exactly what can and can't be in the player's field of view at any time, and all the geometry is on a single close plane so you don't have to worry about rendering stuff behind other things or far off into the distance.

that would be applied to games that have occlusion culling enabled. and even so the distance that the occlusing covers is customizable. we so far do not have the information if the engine used for this remake have this tool. and even with occlusion culling ON the amount of things on screen can be pushed to a very high detail and effects, dragging the performance.

it seems the game loads and renders the whole map island with LODs hidden by the blurry edges, that would mean no occlusion culling.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
There IS an extra item button, as the sword isnt one of the items (on the Game Boy you had the sword button and an item button). Still, one face button is unused so in my review I complained that there could've been ANOTHER extra item button. THat would be handy, because the item that can make you jump is pretty much needed all game, so it would've been nice to use two other items next to it. Oh well.
I mean yeah including the sword, hence I wrote jump, slash (sword) and action. So you only get one additional extra button for bombs, shovel, bows and what not. All the while the d-pad is completely useless.