• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Going through the game to collect rupees and items attainable without doing any dungeon and releasing the save state rather than slightly modifying the game is one of the most bizarrely Nintendo moves possible. It just makes no sense, I chuckled.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Save states makes AoL very beatable and a surprisingly solid and well paced game for all the flack it typically gets.

AoL's main problem is that dying three times throws you back at the temple at the beginning. It's a huge pain in the ass to get back to wherever you were after that. So yeah, save states (or just an infinite lives hack) would make it far, far easier and more fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Nintendo doing more ROM hacks, eh?

All they really needed to do was give folks an overworld map button, with a map that has a lot of good locations marked. If they really wanted to go further, they'd edit Link's movement to make sword combat easier, and along with turning while running.

Rest of the game is fine and didn't changing.

But I guess this is from the makers of this:

200px-Invincibility_Leaf_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_3D_World.png

I mean, people can play what they want, but I think if a creator is offering a worse option, you're basically taking a good experience away from folks who don't know any better.

They are better ways to fix your game design or accommodate players than just padding stats of a player to overcome challenges easier. It just seems a little low effort and thoughtless.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to play an "official" version of Earthbound Beginnings with the Easy Ring. Not that anyone outside of Japan would be getting the base game...

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh, just a save state, eh? So not a evolution of nes remix...

To be honest, I would prefer they did something like a color swap on the entrance of the dungeons. Man, without a guide it's impossible to find all that, unless you burn every bush, bomb every wall. That's is the main struggle in that game, that's for sure.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
On the contrary, I'm not even sure what SMB can be, unless they're just very boring and give you tons of lives (which I'd be a little surprised at, since the game can't even display double digits properly). I wouldn't be shocked if SMB 3 just has the 28 P-Wings though.

If Metroid is just a save state of something you could get from a password input I'm gonna laugh.

Ha, if that was the case for SMB3 I already have the SP version after beating the game and save stating afterwards!

I'd love a Metroid one that started you with full health (or at least more than 30...) after death, though again the scope of these SP editions is in question given the current Zelda one.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Not really a design flaw. It was never an issue for me because there's lots of "enemy generators" that let you keep blasting them for energy refills until your full again.
Having to dick around for a few minutes just to refill health is a design flaw.

If it wasn't, Nintendo wouldn't have added recharge stations in subsequent Metroid games.

Kolma

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I really want Gradius SP to be Autofire.
That's one of the major things that makes me prefer Gradius III over the first one. Having to spam A button is tiring.

kizmah

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
The best part is that this was originally planned for release in december and they are dropping it now on top of this months already planned releases.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Cool idea. I'm all for making games more accessible.

Zelda 1 and Spirit Tracks are the only two mainline Zeldas I haven't finished (hated the latter). Maybe I'll give Zelda a go again with this mode just to see it through.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doing more ROM hacks, eh?

All they really needed to do was give folks an overworld map button, with a map that has a lot of good locations marked. If they really wanted to go further, they'd edit Link's movement to make sword combat easier, and along with turning while running.

Rest of the game is fine and didn't changing.

But I guess this is from the makers of this:

I mean, people can play what they want, but I think if a creator is offering a worse option, you're basically taking a good experience away from folks who don't know any better.

They are better ways to fix your game design or accommodate players than just padding stats of a player to overcome challenges easier. It just seems a little low effort and thoughtless.

What you are describing would take a significant amount of work while changing some values to give players more items/money is a rather easy thing to do.

If this version of Zelda is anything to go by, I wouldn't expect anything fancy from the other SP releases.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it's got one eye on luring in BOTW fans. Starting the game with the ability to go anywhere and with the suite of tools and skills feels a lot like forcing the old game into the new game's shape.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not like Zelda 1 is hard. And if you need the power bracletmof White sword it's super easy to look up online. All kinds of maps that show where all the hidden items are.

Half the fun is traveling across Hyrule and finding an item.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned "today's difficulty standards". Wow, are today's games that in need of hand holding that that can't put "Zelda 1 Map" in google image search.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
It's a good update for those who may not have played the original Zelda before, and this helps them get that understanding. And the normal version is there for those who want the original (as close as possible) experience.

I'd be interested in knowing what SP will mean for the likes of Dr Mario.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Neat concept in theory, but how it's executed for LoZ just ruins the game. It gives you so much stuff right off the bat and pretty much takes the exploration aspect right out.

I played blind my first time and can't tell you how exciting it was to find something by bombing walls and bumping into statues. Yeah, I did spend a chunk of time doing so and eventually started a new play through with a guide.

But we already have save states. That should be enough tbh.

Hope we get some interesting ROM hacks but I've a feeling Nintendo will only touch certain games in certain ways.

Btw have they fixed the wonky controls in SMB/SMB3 yet?

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Neat concept in theory, but how it's executed for LoZ just ruins the game. It gives you so much stuff right off the bat and pretty much takes the exploration aspect right out.

I played blind my first time and can't tell you how exciting it was to find something by bombing walls and bumping into statues. Yeah, I did spend a chunk of time doing so and eventually started a new play through with a guide.

But we already have save states. That should be enough tbh.

I mean, people have had 30+ years to take a crack at the original Zelda by now, it's been released on everything, sometimes multiple times. If adding a special mode that lets players blast through it a little more easily means that people who'd be discouraged at its more awful parts are inclined to keep going, who are we to say it's not a valid way to have fun? Original mode will continue to exist in perpetuity.

Heck, I think it's even a sweetener for the people like you and me who have already played it before, sometimes a bunch of times, and wouldn't mind flying through again but don't really feel like droppin 20 hours on it and just wanna get down to business.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Sounds like it's got one eye on luring in BOTW fans. Starting the game with the ability to go anywhere and with the suite of tools and skills feels a lot like forcing the old game into the new game's shape.
Yeah I can't help but feel bad for newcomers not experiencing the game the traditional way; starting with nothing and each item feels really important when you get it. Get an old guide out and print a real paper map and go fully old school.

Use this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5LYoi7JJjZSdG55azE0cWNiVTg/view

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I mean, people have had 30+ years to take a crack at the original Zelda by now, it's been released on everything, sometimes multiple times. If adding a special mode that lets players blast through it a little more easily means that people who'd be discouraged at its more awful parts are inclined to keep going, who are we to say it's not a valid way to have fun? Original mode will continue to exist in perpetuity.

Heck, I think it's even a sweetener for the people like you and me who have already played it before, sometimes a bunch of times, and wouldn't mind flying through again but don't really feel like droppin 20 hours on it and just wanna get down to business.

To be honest I wished for a mode like this when I started. It was rough. BUT I do think the best way to go about this is Nintendo-curated guides or hints or something of the sort rather than giving us the stuff right away :P

I'm looking forward to a Ninja Gaiden SP mode though. That game is sadistic!

Oct 25, 2017
This qualifies as neat. It's certainly better than what I'd feared previously (PAL versions in 50hz). It would be cool to see them do more stuff along the lines of a NES Remix kinda deal, but that's been done already and I guess they can have another swing at that another day.

Going fully into something like randomisers, sprite swaps, new levels or whatever would be cool and generally within the reach of what's publicly available within the rom hacking scene.

I don't think that's going to happen any time soon but it would be cool to see Nintendo take ideas from the speedrunning and hacking communities since that seemed to feed Mario Maker's popularity and longevity in such a big way.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a cool idea, but the way it's implemented is pretty lame. Hopefully future SP releases are more interesting.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
That's cute. My usual route involves collecting everything I can before even attempting Level 1, so this is basically useless for me, but it does take out a solid 30-40 minutes of finding random rupee and heart container locations, items to buy from the cheapest shops and exploring over 50% of the world before even starting the game for real.

Exactly what I was thinking.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
"Living the life of luxury" is one of the best names for an easy mode I've ever heard, lol. Looking forward to Super Mario "Breezy stroll through the Mushroom Kingdom" and Fire Emblem "All's fair in love and war" edition.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to know how people are playing this game on the Switch in the first place. The controls so clearly feel like they demand a great d-pad, so the analog stick feels all wrong, and the d-pad on the Pro controller registers incorrect inputs way more often than is acceptable.

Calm Killer

Oct 25, 2017
The second quest is just the second quest you normally would get right? You could just name your character zelda and you got the new over world.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, just a save state, eh? So not a evolution of nes remix...

To be honest, I would prefer they did something like a color swap on the entrance of the dungeons. Man, without a guide it's impossible to find all that, unless you burn every bush, bomb every wall. That's is the main struggle in that game, that's for sure.

There is one dungeon that requires a bomb and one that requires a bush. The bush is already obviously telegraphed and the bomb has an in game clue. They are the last two dungeons.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Of all the things they could've done... They did this? Completely pointless and disappointing.

I'm sure there is someone out there who is happy but such a weird choice

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is one dungeon that requires a bomb and one that requires a bush. The bush is already obviously telegraphed and the bomb has an in game clue. They are the last two dungeons.
"Obviously"
There are dozen and dozens of isolated bushes in the game, and I will not go around every single one expecting to find a goddamm dungeon below one of them. And the bomb one it's not that easy to find when holders keep falling at you.

Outside of the first two, all the other dugeons are really obtuse to find. No wonder they ditch the concept going forward in the series.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty cool. If they did something like this for The Adventure of Link I might actually be able to beat it.

Do this for AOL and I will play it and unashamedly say that I finally beat it.

Save states makes AoL very beatable and a surprisingly solid and well paced game for all the flack it typically gets.

Not gonna lie, post like these make me feel proud to have beaten Adventure of Link back in the 80s, without any help or anything. It's literally the first time I actually enjoyed the challenge of a game.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Obviously"
There are dozen and dozens of isolated bushes in the game, and I will not go around every single one expecting to find a goddamm dungeon below one of them. And the bomb one it's not that easy to find when holders keep falling at you.

Outside of the first two, all the other dugeons are really obtuse to find. No wonder they ditch the concept going forward in the series.
The old man says secret is in the tree at the dead end, and it's a tree obviously obstructing a narrow path. I imagine most players tried burning it just to clear the way, it's pretty hard to miss.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, post like these make me feel proud to have beaten Adventure of Link back in the 80s, without any help or anything. It's literally the first time I actually enjoyed the challenge of a game.
Oh, I actually did beat it legit as a kid, but nowadays it's going to be hard to convince anyone to put in the time needed for that.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The old man says secret is in the tree at the dead end, and it's a tree obviously obstructing a narrow path. I imagine most players tried burning it just to clear the way, it's pretty hard to miss.
Yup. I tried using bombs and burning it simply because it was so conspicuously on the way. Then I found the hint way after the fact and went ohhhhhhhhh