• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Matesamo

Nov 1, 2017
Rhode Island
Yes, please. Then I might finally be able to beat that fucking game. It's been over 30 years and I still can't get much past the double Abobos in the forest.

Amen brother. I played through two nights ago and they kicked the crap outta me. I enjoyed the game and was expecting to continue at the start of the level and instead... back to the title screen. Damn!

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The old man says secret is in the tree at the dead end, and it's a tree obviously obstructing a narrow path. I imagine most players tried burning it just to clear the way, it's pretty hard to miss.
Well, I gave up early in the game and follow a guide till the end, since at the time my English was also pretty bad, so I missed that. But I played other entries if the franchise before this one and didn't had so much trouble in those, so...

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
"Obviously"
There are dozen and dozens of isolated bushes in the game, and I will not go around every single one expecting to find a goddamm dungeon below one of them. And the bomb one it's not that easy to find when holders keep falling at you.

Outside of the first two, all the other dugeons are really obtuse to find. No wonder they ditch the concept going forward in the series.

It's a bush dead center of a narrow path with no way to walk past it.

Dungeon 3 is out in the open, and is shown in the instruction manual. You get a raft in that dungeon that can be used in exactly two places and one of them is dungeon 4.

4 has a clue that tells you to keep going up in the hills, and the repeating screen that leads to 5 is obviously some kind of gimmick that should inspire investigation.

6 is out in the open again.

Inside 6 a guy tells you to use the whistle where fairies don't lie, and 7 is found by blowing the whistle in a pond that looks identical to the fairy ponds, but with the fairy suspiciously absent. It is one screen away from a typical fairy pond so you will notice the discrepancy.

Then there's 8 which is obvious and 9 which has a clue about "spectacle rock" that's too abstract. It's the very last dungeon and the only actual head scratcher. There is another rock in the starting area that looks identical and is also bombable, at least.

People want to speed through these games instead of actually engaging with them and exploring and experimenting. Even the blue ring location, probably the most hidden thing, is given away by the map if you're paying attention. The game is perfectly beatable without a guide with the possible exception of the final dungeon.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Well now I'm expecting Gradius SP to just be a post-Konami code save state. :P

Odd that we got this one two months early and the original October SP games are presumably coming next month. Maybe they have more intricate changes? Probably shouldn't get my hopes up.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a bush dead center of a narrow path with no way to walk past it.

Dungeon 3 is out in the open, and is shown in the instruction manual. You get a raft in that dungeon that can be used in exactly two places and one of them is dungeon 4.

4 has a clue that tells you to keep going up in the hills, and the repeating screen that leads to 5 is obviously some kind of gimmick that should inspire investigation.

6 is out in the open again.

Inside 6 a guy tells you to use the whistle where fairies don't lie, and 7 is found by blowing the whistle in a pond that looks identical to the fairy ponds, but with the fairy suspiciously absent. It is one screen away from a typical fairy pond so you will notice the discrepancy.

Then there's 8 which is obvious and 9 which has a clue about "spectacle rock" that's too abstract. It's the very last dungeon and the only actual head scratcher. There is another rock in the starting area that looks identical and is also bombable, at least.

People want to speed through these games instead of actually engaging with them and exploring and experimenting. Even the blue ring location, probably the most hidden thing, is given away by the map if you're paying attention. The game is perfectly beatable without a guide with the possible exception of the final dungeon.
I don't recall the game that well, but there also clues for things that are not dugeons right? I remember when I tried to beat the game again years later without a guide I repeatedly read too much on what I believe where hints and end up wasting few hours hitting a brick wall. A rock wall actually, optional stuff can be as hidden as possible, but when how much progress you will have in the main story is up to you randomly coming across the right hint is not really compelling.

As I said, there is a reason they stopped doing that.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This is cool!

Give metroid a map please! I want to beat it but don't want to go through the effort of drawing out a map.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as this is just the same rom but with a full inventory I doubt they're gonna put a map into Metroid 1. That would take a lot of work

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys asking for easier Metroid known their are already passwords for anything you could want to start the game with, right?

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Funny enough, I just beat Zelda on Switch yesterday. Surprisingly easier than I remember, even without save states. Once you get the red ring, Ganon is a chump

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I actually did beat it legit as a kid, but nowadays it's going to be hard to convince anyone to put in the time needed for that.

Heh, well I can't say that since the game came out after I graduated High School. But yeah, it took me quite a few retries to beat the final bosses. Beating that game was really satisfying though.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
uhhh this is amazing

i'm the kind of person to love 'official cheats'. if it's sanctioned by the devs and makes my life easier then i'm using it!

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can be a big man with your souped up Sword and fancy ring, but Dark Nuts and Wizzrobes will still fuck you up if you're reckless.

DDayton

Oct 27, 2017
I still have to reactive my subscription, but is this just a starting game save, or is the game actually modified to give you unlimited rupees?

Edit: Ah, it's just a save state... I suppose the SMB3 one will start you on the first level with a full set of P-Wings.

DDayton

Oct 27, 2017
It's both. The SP version is modified to always reset to that save state initially but if you die and exit the game back to the save select screen, there is a save with "LINK" already made with that souped up character in the first slot.
It raises questions of why it doesn't just START from the title screen, then...

1) Can you save into the save slots?
2) Can you delete the LINK save?

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
lol, Metroid ain't getting a map guys, come on. This is basically just a save file hack, y'all are asking for a substantial new feature. You have a better chance of Metroid SP literally just being JUSTIN BAILEY or NARPAS SWORD, lol.

probably won't happen either, but a localization of the FDS version, or a hybrid version, would be great and a good bit more plausible

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems fair, the original Zelda game can be frustratingly difficult and confusing in where to go. Especially as there's no over world map.

Honestly though I feel that the game simply hasn't aged well.

Yeah I can't help but feel bad for newcomers not experiencing the game the traditional way; starting with nothing and each item feels really important when you get it. Get an old guide out and print a real paper map and go fully old school.

Use this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5LYoi7JJjZSdG55azE0cWNiVTg/view

The traditional old school way sucked, there's a reason why modern games moved on from that.

Even Breath of the Wild doesn't make you do that.

"Obviously"
There are dozen and dozens of isolated bushes in the game, and I will not go around every single one expecting to find a goddamm dungeon below one of them. And the bomb one it's not that easy to find when holders keep falling at you.

Outside of the first two, all the other dugeons are really obtuse to find. No wonder they ditch the concept going forward in the series.

Agreed, I found the white sword and I couldn't pick it and I didn't understand why. After doing some research it turns out that I had to have more hearts.

I just got pissed off and stopped playing.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
"Obviously"

The one dungeon hidden under a bush is genuinely obvious, because the bush is blocking off an intersection. Every player who sees it with knowledge that they can burn bushes will try burning it and will find the dungeon; it really couldn't be any more telegraphed.

Good post. Zelda is a much more generous and reasonable game than people give it credit for; the only things you probably won't find if you are diligent and observant are a few of the optional heart containers. The thing is just that you have to be willing to sit down, explore the world, and get a good grip on its layout and the locations of important landmarks like fairy fountains and shops and the like. I think the issue is just that a lot of people go into the game assuming that it won't be well-designed because it's so old and end up not giving it a fair shake, but I feel like it is probably still the best game in the series and the only one that really respects the player aside from maybe 2.

The traditional old school way sucked, there's a reason why modern games moved on from that.

Nah, it's fine. Just pay attention and you can figure it out. You can't blow through it in the same way you can later Zelda games but that doesn't mean the problem is on the game.

I always liked that you actually had to figure out the location of dungeons in Zelda 1. Link to the Past just outright telling you all their locations never really sat right with me, because it changed the game from being about exploration to primarily being about how to open the various gated-off segments of the overworld. And things really did only get streamlined from there.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I love this game. Hadn't played it in YEARS (played it first during the NES days, then I replayed it during the Gamecube era.) It was the first game I tried when I signed up for NSO and fell in love all over again. Gonna try this save in a few months.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

BotW gives you an in game map. The first game you needed a paper map. BotW gives you in game clues in the quest description. The fist game you needed a paper guide. Both games have lots of secrets. In these respects I find the 2 games very similar, so long as you have a guide.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
The perfect edition of original TLOZ would be just giving full health upon restart (if you have more than 3 hearts, that is) and having at least a small indicators that there are bombable walls on screen. I can live with everything else that the game throws you at.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
That's kinda cool I guess ... but the whole point of Zelda 1 is slowly building yourself stronger by exploring the world. This might make the game kinda boring? I dunno

The perfect edition of original TLOZ would be just giving full health upon restart (if you have more than 3 hearts, that is)
I think this would be a way better compromise, IMO. Never understood why the series stuck to this tradition for so long.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
"Obviously"

8beac006bbdfa84e5f385659a24aa7b5.png

Gee I wonder what bush you should burn.

It's also worth noting that this particular bush "configuration" is entirely unique. Meaning, there's no other bush that is placed even remotely similar to this one in the entire game.

There are plenty of issues with this game that I think are completely fair, but I never understood this one. It's actually kind of cool that they hid a dungeon here, it rewards exploration and if a player found it way beforehand it might make exploration more interesting, because you're not entirely sure what would be underneath each bush. There could be a whole dungeon down there.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But if Ganon's still giving you a hard time, the power of money will overcome! Just buy yourself some more items and give it another shot!
Do you want your game to be banned from China, Nintendo? Because that's how you get a ban from China.

The one dungeon hidden under a bush is genuinely obvious, because the bush is blocking off an intersection. Every player who sees it with knowledge that they can burn bushes will try burning it and will find the dungeon; it really couldn't be any more telegraphed.
I never tried burn it because it didn't really block my path to the other side, I found another way around. And also because I never expected a dungeon below it. Like I said, I played it after playing other entries, never expected something so fundamental above a average looking bush.

As I suggested, if that bush was red. If the lake was green. If the wall was blue, then I for sure would have tried to do everything. A simple color swap would make it more telegraphed.
Gee I wonder what bush you should burn.

It's also worth noting that this particular bush "configuration" is entirely unique. Meaning, there's no other bush that is placed even remotely similar to this one in the entire game.

There are plenty of issues with this game that I think are completely fair, but I never understood this one. It's actually kind of cool that they hid a dungeon here, it rewards exploration and if a player found it way beforehand it might make exploration more interesting, because you're not entirely sure what would be underneath each bush. There could be a whole dungeon down there.
I could swear it not the only bush to block a path in the game. Why should I think this was not another one?

Also, read my other answers in this thread.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really hate how this takes up its own slot on the main menu screen. Looks dumb to have the same box twice.