• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
If you haven't been checking in on the The Legends of Runeterra OT, this game is fantastic.

I've dabbled in a few online card games, from Magic, Pokemon TCG, Artifact, Heathstone, Gwent etc. but this one has really grabbed me.
I was up for hours last night playing, its been a while since I game has done that to me and never a card game.

It been pretty accessible, it plays a little like Magic with a Poker style round system, the matchmaking and challnges have been great but playing online has just been really fun for me as I learn and work out the cards and combos.

If you haven't popped in the OT, don't sleep on it, its free and open to all on PC now.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's the first card game I've played since I quit HS over a year ago, and yeah it's been pretty fun. We'll see how things pan out long term for it.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has never really clicked with a CCG, I'm loving it. I still struggle with deck building but the insane art and production values and gameplay are more than enough to keep me going. I just wish the iPad version was out already, it's not a game I really want to sit at my desk to play.

Oct 27, 2017
Yo, this is a new game, don't lie to the people. Being in closed-beta for a couple of days is not "Last Year". It was revealed 2 months ago ffs.

The game is amazing, easily the best card game right now. With Riot behind the wheel, content and balance are the two things they will hammer eternally.

People who are burned by the cost of HS/MTG, by the complexity of MTG, by indie card games with miniature playbases, by the shitters at Valve for dropping Artifact 2 months after release:
THIS IS THE CARD GAME THAT FIRES ON ALL CYLINDERS.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I REALLY like the core of the gameplay- the communal turn system means that games end up going faster, because you don't ever have the opportunity to idle after passing your turn like you do in most other TCGs. I'm still just fooling around with the starter decks and the draft mode, but assuming the monitization isn't shit, i'll probably end up sticking with it.

Really, my favorite part though is how... not-LOL skinned it comes across to me, as someone who has never played LOL. One of my biggest problems with Hearthstone was how "WOW-like" it felt, which really did not appeal to me. It just comes across as a generic fantasy world not filled with dumb jokes.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Game has been an absolute surprise for me.
I could never stand Hearthstone and haven't tried any other online card games cause they just didn't appeal but Runeterra just has SOMETHING about it that is making me love it.
The way things interact and you can pull off these "Heart of the Cards" moments where you get just the right thing in the just right moment and it all comes together is beautiful.
I have pulled off so many great combos and plays in this, just feels fantastic.

The presentation is also wonderful, with cards talking to eachother and commenting on things happening, great little spell effects, beautiful artwork and some really nice and meaty attack animation. Oh and of course the great "level up" animations for the champions!

Can only recommend everyone to try this out, even if you normally don't play card games, you might fall in love with it.

Also don't worry about spending money, game is crazy generous and you get XP out of everything and can even do quests and daily win xp with friends by just playing or conceding to each other lol.
The game also stops whales from crazily jumping ahead by restricting how many cards you can buy per week which is just great.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I play HS and Arena and this game is so good it'll likely be my main.
Riot killed it, seriously. If you even like CCGs a little, play it.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to get into it. Played through the tutorial, a few matches with AI and some human matches, but it's not really clicking.

Oddly enough, it made me miss Artifact. I wound up thinking how much more fun Artifact would be with a more interesting base deck or expansion.

I'll probably put some more time into it, try the draft mode and see if I enjoy that more.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
It's well made, but still the very same and typical 1v1 digital CCG .

They really need to add some variety to make it different than HS or MtG though.
Some cooperative features like 2v2 or 3v3 would be incredible.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
As a lifelong MtG player, this game is really blowing me away.

Everything I've wanted in the digital CCG space, finally here.

Ready2Rokk

Oct 29, 2017
It's the first card game I've played since I quit HS over a year ago, and yeah it's been pretty fun. We'll see how things pan out long term for it.

I can't be the only one that read this and thought you quit high school over a trading card game until I looked a little closer...

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
This game gets right what Artifact got wrong: specifically monetization and complexity. I really enjoyed Artifact, but I can see why it didn't catch on.

Also, I cannot wait to see how Riot turns this into an esport. I know that they want it to happen organically at first, but I think it's going to be huge.

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's accessible enough for casuals while being deep enough for pros...

the monetization model is the best for ccgs at the moment too. Can't wait until it tablets so I can play there too.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
So wait, does this have a "buy cards with real cash" option? Because I'm not sure I can risk that.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
So wait, does this have a "buy cards with real cash" option? Because I'm not sure I can risk that.
Yes, but there are no random packs. You buy coins for specific cards, and there are only so many cards you can buy per week. But honestly, you don't need to buy anything right now as you will earn quite a bit of free stuff just playing the game.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
It's well made, but still the very same and typical 1v1 digital CCG .

They really need to add some variety to make it different than HS or MtG though.
Some cooperative features like 2v2 or 3v3 would be incredible.

It's my main criticsm.

Riot probably had plenty of time and ressources to cook something up and I'm sure more is coming, but it is severely lacking in modes and features.

The genre needed a proper refresher and this isn't it.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

The game is extremely generous:
-Only one loot box exists in the game, and it opens for everyone every Tuesday. You cannot pay for more, there is no money tied to this. The more you play over the week, the bigger the box gets.

-You can buy 3 Champions (highest rarity) a week, max - if you want. You buy specifically the card you want. You are hard capped at 3 purchases per week.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but there are no random packs. You buy coins for specific cards, and there are only so many cards you can buy per week. But honestly, you don't need to buy anything right now as you will earn quite a bit of free stuff just playing the game.
The game is extremely generous:
-Only one loot box exists in the game, and it opens for everyone every Tuesday. You cannot pay for more, there is no money tied to this. The more you play over the week, the bigger the box gets.

-You can buy 3 Champions (highest rarity) a week, max - if you want. You buy specifically the card you want. You are hard capped at 3 purchases per week.
Okay, that seems to resolve a lot of my issues then; I'll check this out when I get home. When I was in college I was hardcore into Magic the Gathering.

Like, spending a couple hundred bucks a week for physical cards, and another couple hundred bucks a week on Magic Online. I absolutely cannot risk that being a thing again.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
It's really good, but very, very slow compared to HS.

Slower than warrior control meta where you lose to card draw or your typical rush meta?

Cause if you played a warrior deck your games could be easily over 15-20 minutes each if you hit another control deck.

Which is why the hunter charge/rush decks were so popular in ladder, just a battle of attrition, more games played = more games won as long as you were winning over 55%.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, that seems to resolve a lot of my issues then; I'll check this out when I get home. When I was in college I was hardcore into Magic the Gathering.

Like, spending a couple hundred bucks a week for physical cards, and another couple hundred bucks a week on Magic Online. I absolutely cannot risk that being a thing again.

This is some of the most fair distribution of cards I've seen in a long time. And I say this as someone who wants to buy more cards just to build all the decks I got in my head but can't at the moment because of that cap. But even then I'm just now for me less than a week in and already have a pretty solid collection. I did buy 6 of the champion wildcards though for the reason I stated earlier. But even that is peanuts to what I have spent on some of the Hearthstone set launches.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Literally impossible in the game at this moment.
As was said before, all you can buy is "wildcards". These allow you to craft cards of the rarity they correspond to.
The wildcards you can buy with money are limited each week and you need to wait for reset to buy more which are again limited.
This creates a nice "whale net" that makes it so people CAN spend money but won't suddenly jump weeks or months ahead of others.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to get into it. Played through the tutorial, a few matches with AI and some human matches, but it's not really clicking.

Oddly enough, it made me miss Artifact. I wound up thinking how much more fun Artifact would be with a more interesting base deck or expansion.

I'll probably put some more time into it, try the draft mode and see if I enjoy that more.

Yes, this is exactly me.

I played a few rounds, I understand the appeal of the game, but it isn't hooking me.

I am hoping that the redesign and relaunch of Artifact eventually releases but maintains the same feeling of commanding a Dota game that the original had at some points.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
The fact that you can just draft forever if you want is really cool for draft-lovers!
Slower than warrior control meta where you lose to card draw or your typical rush meta?

People just take a lot longer with their turns, and whenever you do something like cast a spell you sit there waiting for the opponent to decide on their action, or to decide on their blocks, etc.

If there was one thing I'd add, it'd be a chess-style clock where you can't spend 30s each action you make in a 30 minute game.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, this is exactly me.

I played a few rounds, I understand the appeal of the game, but it isn't hooking me.

I am hoping that the redesign and relaunch of Artifact eventually releases but maintains the same feeling of commanding a Dota game that the original had at some points.

Yeah, I LOVED the high level decision making aspect of having to decide which lanes to try and control or to abandon, and trying to anticipate what the opponent will do in Artifact. I thought it was innovative. In contrast, I find LoR to be a pretty incremental evolution of Hearthstone and Magic. It combines the best aspects of all those games, and tries to improve tried and tested skinner box monetization methods, but it all just feels like more of the same.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to give the game a shot. It looks like it took the most interesting bit of Artifact, anyway - the passing back and forth of priority within the same turn - and since video gamers have no taste in card games it might as well be the next best thing.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine having a CCG without a mobile/iPad app in 2020. Probably the biggest black mark on the game right now, and yes I understand it's in beta or whatever, but still. They'll need an Android/iOS release ASAP if they want to be relevant. Guess it's supposed to happen at the official launch at the end of the year, but that's quite a ways away, by then I wonder how even the playing field will be.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Imagine having a CCG without a mobile/iPad app in 2020. Probably the biggest black mark on the game right now, and yes I understand it's in beta or whatever, but still. They'll need an Android/iOS release ASAP if they want to be relevant. Guess it's supposed to happen at the official launch at the end of the year, but that's quite a ways away, by then I wonder how even the playing field will be.
pretty sure there is no difference between PC and mobile. you use the same account and crossbuy/crossplay

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

iOS/Android apps will be out by June at the latest.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
the game is gona be the same on PC and mobile. like,literally the same game with the same accounts.

Right my point was just people who don't jump in until it's on mobile will be so many months behind those who started on PC. But 4-5 months isn't as bad as 10+ so it shouldn't be too noticeable. Seemed relevant with the way progression is tied to the months you've spent in the game, since you're extremely limited on the amount of progress you can purchase each month, unlike other CCGs where you can just buy to your heart's content.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Right my point was just people who don't jump in until it's on mobile will be so many months behind those who started on PC. But 4-5 months isn't as bad as 10+ so it shouldn't be too noticeable. Seemed relevant with the way progression is tied to the months you've spent in the game, since you're extremely limited on the amount of progress you can purchase each month, unlike other CCGs where you can just buy to your heart's content.
ah ok gotcha