• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
liar-princess-e1533713698927-600x401.png

Welcome to the Liar Princess and the Blind Prince OT where you can discuss this little gem of an indie game that seems to have flown under the radar for most people. Hopefully more people find out about the game as time goes on. Anyways, enjoy!

Developer: Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
Platforms: Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4
Release Date: 02/12/2019
Release Date (EU): 02/12/2019, Digital only
Price: Digital $19.99, Physical $39.99

Purchase Links: Nintendo eshop, PSN store
About the Game
The Lair Princess and the Blind Prince is 2D side-scrolling action adventure game where the player controls a wolf leading a blind prince through a dangerous forest. Transform into a princess to lead the prince, and a savage wolf to defeat those that would wish him harm.

• Unleash Your Inner Monster - Transform at will from a princess into a wolf to guide the blind prince towards a cure. Weave through the dangerous forest, but be careful... A blind prince has no place in an all-seeing forest.

• Brute Strength Meets Sharp Wit - Various obstacles will require the wolf's strength, and others will require the princess's wit. With so many traps and perilous hurdles that await, can the two make it safely to their final destination?

• Lost Pages from a Forgotten Tale - With each delicate petal comes a fragment of memories shared by the wolf and the prince. Collect them along your journey and paint a vivid story of friendship, love, and loss.

Story
The story is about a monstrous wolf accidentally blinding a young prince who wanted to meet the person behind the beautiful howling he heard every night. Horrified by her actions, the Wolf lies to the prince, telling him she is a princess from a far away kingdom. She then tells him she knows a witch in the forest that can give him back his sight, and thus our game begins.

Characters
The Wolf/Liar Princess
img_wolf.png
img_princess.png
A carnivorous monster living in the forest. After giving up her beautiful singing voice, she takes on the appearance of a human princess.

The Blind Prince
img_prince.png
A human prince of a small kingdom surrounded by the forest. He is wounded by the wolf and his sight, deeply terrified of the monster who hurt him.
The Witch
img_witch.png
The enigmatic witch who lives deep in the forest. She can grant all sorts of wishes, but the requester must sacrifice what they care about most to make the wish come true.

Trailers

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the store links, I can't seem to find the game on the PSN store. I will update it when it becomes available.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I didn't realize this was only $20. I may have to nab it as I've liked the look of it quite a bit.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
There was a demo in the Japan psn for vita game was super broken and repetitive.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really honest: I haven't heard about this game until Yoko Taro tweeted about it some time last year. The boxart alone made me super interested in it. I'm not sure I can emotionally handle a sad game (it all points to being a sad game) right now, but I will definitely grab and just play it a bit later, when I'm more emotional stable or something. Either way: Love the art style and the premise of the game. Cool to see NISA publishing such a small and super niche title.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
So question with this for anyone that will play or has played, how does this differ from Dokuro, because from videos other than characters, it looks almost identical?

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
Just finished the game, it's very cute.
Kind of stiff on the controls but It didn't impact my enjoyment.
The end game I thought was really clever with how it splits the two of them up.

Kind of disappointed that the soundtrack didn't come with the ending theme, but the storybook is charming.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Briefly thought about importing this at $60 (jp and cn versions were out middle of last year)

But $20 is a good price for digital

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
Guys is this game child friendly enough so I can play it with my 6 year old girl?

It's pretty child friendly with the only sticking point being that when you defeat enemies there's a "black liquid" that shoots out which I think still counts as "Fantasy Violence".

Outside that it's still an E for everyone game

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This game looks incredibly charming, a lot of it looks just up my alley. I ordered the physical edition though, so I've gotta wait a while until I'll receive the game.

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
So, we tried something kind of new and novel for this release. We're big into physical presence and wanted to make sure this game got on store shelves, which we really only felt was possible through the "standard" LE SKU @ 40$. There is no retail SKU that is just the $20 game, that is only the price for digital. We've done a really limited number of prints of the physical. We're testing the waters in terms of what is possible in a changing market.

Working on the storybook was a lot of fun for the design/editing team, we had to create that from scratch basically.

Fun Fact: This was one of our annual "Inside Indies" projects from NIS. Basically every year, everyone at the Gifu office is allowed to pitch a game idea and everyone there votes on it. Winner gets to be the director of the project. Previous titles under this process include the first Yomawari and A Rose in the Twilight.

EDIT: Funner Fact and pluggable (forgive me): We have about 20~ or so stuffed wolves remaining in stock if you want to get an adorable original plushie for the title. NIS liked them so much they bought a bunch from us and immediately sold out.

Last edited:

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, we tried something kind of new and novel for this release. We're big into physical presence and wanted to make sure this game got on store shelves, which we really only felt was possible through the "standard" LE SKU @ 40$. There is no retail SKU that is just the $20 game, that is only the price for digital. We've done a really limited number of prints of the physical. We're testing the waters in terms of what is possible in a changing market.

Working on the storybook was a lot of fun for the design/editing team, we had to create that from scratch basically.

Fun Fact: This was one of our annual "Inside Indies" projects from NIS. Basically every year, everyone at the Gifu office is allowed to pitch a game idea and everyone there votes on it. Winner gets to be the director of the project. Previous titles under this process include the first Yomawari and A Rose in the Twilight.
I've got to commend you, the physical release is really cool, and that's why I opted to buy it instead of the cheaper digital version. It helps that despite everything in it, it's still at a comparatively cheap 40$ in the end, so despite being double the digital version, it's still easy to budget. Especially considering that, IIRC, the Japanese release was a full-priced title (although on the lower end of such in Japan).
EDIT: Funner Fact and pluggable (forgive me): We have about 20~ or so stuffed wolves remaining in stock if you want to get an adorable original plushie for the title. NIS liked them so much they bought a bunch from us and immediately sold out.
Sadly your store doesn't ship to where I live. D:
Thankfully since the LE is the standard release, the store I usually import from sold it, which is how I bought it.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, I'm not sure if Best Buy sold out of their original allocation or they're just lazy in updating the site. I think it's the former (because how could this game be on a non launch print run already) but who knows?

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty child friendly with the only sticking point being that when you defeat enemies there's a "black liquid" that shoots out which I think still counts as "Fantasy Violence".

Outside that it's still an E for everyone game

Thanks a lot. That is great to hear. And story wise hopefully nothing too disturbing either? (Spoiler free please) 😊

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
What are the controls like in this one? I ended up dropping Firefly Diary because I didn't like the touch controls or the alternative ones they patched in.

Oct 25, 2017

I bought one of the stuffed wolves. I just had to. It's one of my favorite designs ever.

Power Shot

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting until after the Direct airs to make sure I have the budget for physical. It looks right up my alley.

Nov 14, 2017
What originally caught my attention was the artstyle, but then decided against purchasing the game due to the price difference between the digital and physical format.

Then I came across this thread today and read that the physical version comes with a soundtrack. I'm a sucker for soundtracks, and the purchasing decision became a "maybe buy it on the weekend."

We're big into physical presence and wanted to make sure this game got on store shelves, which we really only felt was possible through the "standard" LE SKU @ 40$. There is no retail SKU that is just the $20 game, that is only the price for digital.

And then I came across the above post, and immediately drove to a Best Buy after work today to purchase a copy.

I really appreciate the open communication on explaining the price point for the physical copy and looking at the copy I have, it is definitely justified:
  1. The packaging is made out of high quality cardboard with a matte finish.
  2. The inside packaging is very snug and the contents do not rattle when moving it.
  3. The soundtrack and story book have proper catalog numbers [I like to archive my music/book/video game collection in an excel sheet for easy reference, so this is a huge plus for me]
  4. The storybook has a high-quality rustic feel to it, giving more character to the story within the book
  5. The game case itself has a beautiful reversible cover
My only gripe with the purchase is that ripping the CD doesn't bring up an album cover via GraceNote. I had to grab an image of the game cover to use as the album art. It's a shame because the album art is very precious.

All-in-all, I'm very happy with my purchase and I hope that my purchase is an incentive to keep the annual Inside Indies program in your company. Thank you for sharing!

Oct 25, 2017
What originally caught my attention was the artstyle, but then decided against purchasing the game due to the price difference between the digital and physical format.

Then I came across this thread today and read that the physical version comes with a soundtrack. I'm a sucker for soundtracks, and the purchasing decision became a "maybe buy it on the weekend."

And then I came across the above post, and immediately drove to a Best Buy after work today to purchase a copy.

I really appreciate the open communication on explaining the price point for the physical copy and looking at the copy I have, it is definitely justified:
  1. The packaging is made out of high quality cardboard with a matte finish.
  2. The inside packaging is very snug and the contents do not rattle when moving it.
  3. The soundtrack and story book have proper catalog numbers [I like to archive my music/book/video game collection in an excel sheet for easy reference, so this is a huge plus for me]
  4. The storybook has a high-quality rustic feel to it, giving more character to the story within the book
  5. The game case itself has a beautiful reversible cover
My only gripe with the purchase is that ripping the CD doesn't bring up an album cover via GraceNote. I had to grab an image of the game cover to use as the album art. It's a shame because the album art is very precious.

All-in-all, I'm very happy with my purchase and I hope that my purchase is an incentive to keep the annual Inside Indies program in your company. Thank you for sharing!
I found scans elsewhere on the internet!

4a3C9Z1.jpg

This should suffice for a cover.
Here's higher resolution scans from the same source of the art from the included CD:

Cover
https://my.mixtape.moe/dwqemy.png
Back of the cover
https://my.mixtape.moe/mowglw.png
Back of the tracklist
https://my.mixtape.moe/zwuszd.png
Tracklist
https://my.mixtape.moe/judzwu.png

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017

So the physical version I bought from Amazon will be the collector's edition or is it just the game without any fluff? I'm a little confused about this.

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
So the physical version I bought from Amazon will be the collector's edition or is it just the game without any fluff? I'm a little confused about this.

There is no "standard physical retail version" of this title. There is the digital, sold at $19.99 on online storefronts (eShop/PSN). And the Storybook Edition, sold at retailers and on our online store, that includes all the LE components and is sold MSRP $39.99. There are no other versions of the game.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
There is no "standard physical retail version" of this title. There is the digital, sold at $19.99 on online storefronts (eShop/PSN). And the Storybook Edition, sold at retailers and on our online store, that includes all the LE components and is sold MSRP $39.99. There are no other versions of the game.

Awesome. Thanks. I was getting confused by the terminology. Looking forward to playing this.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
Just finished the game and absolutely fell in love with it. What a beautiful experience. Lived up to my expectations and was really emotional right to the end. Would've loved to have gotten the Collectors Edition, especially that plush, but being in EU it wasn't a feasible option and I went digital. Regardless, I really hope this does well for NIS(A), as it was everything I'd hoped it would be.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it too. Short, but sweet. Slight collision issues once or twice, but besides that I loved it. The 'super hard' optional puzzle, I actually had solved it 3/4 of the way and accidentally got the solution to the puzzle through cycling the second number.

I also instantly recognized the singer of the ending. I was like "is that motherfucking Akiko Shikata" and it was! Said so in the credits! Of Umineko no Naku Koro Ni fame.

I really like the short, to the point nature of this game. It doesn't overstay its welcome, and has a lot of "I feel smart" moments for solving certain things. "Ah, I get it!" You know the moments.

The princess is one of my new favorite videogame heroines of all time now.

What a beautiful little fable.

Most annoying enemy was the Boo-like ghosts that turn into platforms. Often was a tiny bit buggy, but otherwise the game's pretty tight. Controls are generous, and it feels pretty great to play in wolf form, it makes you feel very powerful.

The one downside to that might be that since enemies are afraid of you in wolf form, and you don't take damage at all, and you don't collide with enemies, it feels kind of ethereal in nature rather than brutal.

The animation is superb. As a person who's animated for a 2D platformer before, I know how hard it is to make a satisfying melee feeling for one. There is so much personality in the art of this game, coupled with the animation and story, it makes you stop caring as much about minor foibles and glitches. The wolf form is also one of my new favorite videogame designs, so I just had to buy that plushie. Four eyes, four ears, et cetera. The tone was very "dark NIS" at the same time, giving it the feeling of a more traditional fable like the original Aesop's Fables or Grimm stories, but they navigated it masterfully so it didn't turn into the almost edgy for edgy's sake story of, say, NIS' Witch and The Hundred Knight.

Yoko Taro said once that with the game industry being what it is right now, it's very much impossible to charge 60 dollars for a 3 minute long game, even if it's the most beautiful and meaningful game of all time. At the very least, this is a lot longer than that, and it's cheaper, but the saying comes to mind - and I would gladly pay this price for a short game this beautifully poignant again.

Parting note: this is not a high budget game, not even close. Probably very small, actually. There are moments where you will think about certain things, like the sphere of light around fires, or the oddly angular fog. I loved the game regardless.

Last edited:

browinie

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm some of the impressions in this thread are convincing me to buy this game tomorrow after work. Hmmm....

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I suppose I'll bite on the physical version then.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely checking my Best Buy tomorrow night after work now that I know the Standard = Storybook thing. I thought I'd gone crazy and just imagined a "Special Edition" months ago!

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Excited to play, my physical version came in and I'm waiting for the weekend to start it.