• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Again, open spoilers from here on out. You've been warned.

the-lighthouse-pattinson-defoe-slice-600x200.jpg

First off, holy hell what a movie. It's been a while since a film just made me feel completely exhausted by the end. The climatic scene where Young Tom finally gets a glimpse of the light only to completely mentally break and the sounds of his distorted screams are going to haunt me.

With that being said, I feel like I'm going to need to see it a second or third time to fully grasp the themes of the movie and just what the hell is actually going on this movie. The last half hour or so just becomes pure nightmarish insanity.

So, I have my interpretations, which I don't even think are necessarily correct. There's a lot going on in this movie with none of it's questions answered. This movie doesn't hold your hand and it expects you to be paying attention.

First off, both men being named Tom doesn't seem like coincidence to me. Young Tom has a vision about halfway through the film where he finds a body only to discover that the body is him, with Old Tom looking over him ready to strike. Old Tom describes his old assistant went crazy in almost the exact same fashion as Young Tom. I'm thinking that the island and the lighthouse is Tom's purgatory. He's stuck in a loop. I feel like the obvious Prometheus symbolism also alludes to this. In the tale of Prometheus, he is punished by having to endure birds eating at his innards for all of eternity, repeatedly dying and living again only to suffer the same horrific fate.

There is a lot to impact here, so I'd like to read up on what others have to say too. So feel free to discuss. Right now, I need a break.

Oct 25, 2017
I had people walk out of the theater after Winslow/Thomas masturbated to the fantasy of fucking the mermaid.

I guess the mermaid vagina was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Loved this movie. Really looking forward to buying the blu ray.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's a hodgepodge of different Greek tales - Sisyphus with him dragging the lamp oil up the stairs only to have to bring it down again, you've got old Tom as Proteus, young Tom as Prometheus.

I'm still trying to figure out who the real Ephraim's actor was. He looked familiar.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I love how that last shot is like a lightbulb going on for anyone who knows their Greek Mythology. Prometheus of course, which then puts the movie and events in a new light.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
It's a hodgepodge of different Greek tales - Sisyphus with him dragging the lamp oil up the stairs only to have to bring it down again, you've got old Tom as Proteus, young Tom as Prometheus.

I'm still trying to figure out who the real Ephraim's actor was. He looked familiar.
Wow, didn't make the connection with Proteus and Sisyphus but yeah you're right. Wonder why Greek tales specifically though

Nov 13, 2017
I thought this movie was kind of overrated. Defoe deserves his Oscar for this, but he kind of made Pattinson look like an amateur by comparison.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
That scene of Dafoe cursing out Young Tom, talking about a trident in his gullet, is one of the most epic scenes in a movie I've seen in years. He deserves an Oscar for that alone.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
That scene of Dafoe cursing out Young Tom, talking about a trident in his gullet, is one of the most epic scenes in a movie I've seen in years. He deserves an Oscar for that alone.
The lighting in that scene was phenomenal, Old Tom looked like a monster

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Saw this yesterday, was blown away. Dafoe and Pattinson killed it. The mermaid vagina was insane.

An old couple next to my group walked out during one of the masturbating scenes lmaoooooooo

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
I was completely blown away by Dafoe and Pattinson. Absolutely incredibly acting.

In fact: Willem Dafaoe stayed at a hotel I did Valet at. I valeted the car he rented. It was a red Toyota RAV4.

Also, can someone explain the Old Tom = Proteus thing? Not too familiar with Greek myths.

Oct 26, 2017
I was completely blown away by Dafoe and Pattinson. Absolutely incredibly acting.

In fact: Willem Dafaoe stayed at a hotel I did Valet at. I valeted the car he rented. It was a red Toyota RAV4.

Also, can someone explain the Old Tom = Proteus thing? Not too familiar with Greek myths.
Proteus is an old sea god in Greek myth. He has great knowledge of the world and its secrets. However, he constantly changes form to avoid anyone catching him to ask a question.

Old Tom is slippery wehn confront with the truth of the lighthouse and his past. There's also the fact you never see the gull, him, or the Mermaid in the same scene. Plus, when Winslow is beating on him, you briefly see Old Tom as a barnacle ridden tentacled thing.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love that explanation a lot. Probably my favorite interpretation of the film ive read thus far.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it, loved it. I had forgotten it was coming out before a friend of mine invited me to go see it, and I was totally in the mood for a movie like this.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
that would accurately describe the mood of the audience during my showing as well lol

watching this with a crowd who very clearly knew what they were getting themselves into was a treat
Same. Saw it opening night at AMC Lincoln Square and the crowd was perfect. Laughter, chuckles, gasps, and stunned silence at all the right moments

Professor Lich

Resettlement Advisor
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So my favorite visual from the film was that one still shot from one of the visions. The one with a Naked Dafaoe and Pattinson froze in some sort of sparring match with those lighthouse eyes peering into Pattinson. Thought it was just great on its own, but with the new angle adding in Greek Mythology makes me like it even more.

3a177f590a79b58f7e545611dc4d855e.jpg

header_essay-hi-res-1299129001.jpg

Pankration_panathenaic_amphora_BM_VaseB610.jpg

Invokes that imagery pretty damn well.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Watched this last night. Still not exactly sure what I watched but it has stuck with me, even had a dream/nightmare about it.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Incredible sound design in this film. The creaky floorboards, the crashing waves, the endless foghorn; it all sounds so perfect and so authentic that it is the only part of the film that is not credibly old-fashioned. This is mint, crystal clear surround sound audio.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible sound design in this film. The creaky floorboards, the crashing waves, the endless foghorn; it all sounds so perfect and so authentic that it is the only part of the film that is not credibly old-fashioned. This is mint, crystal clear surround sound audio.
It took me about twenty minutes to realize that droning sound wasn't an Inception-style sound effect but an actual foghorn on the island

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I have rarely been left so jarred after a movie in years like I was with The Lighthouse. What an incredible piece of art. This movie ALMOST became my favorite movie of the year over Joker, but Joker won my heart because of Phoenix. I'm watching Lighthouse again tomorrow to introduce my friend who LOVED The Witch to this glorious experience.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yup, good eye.

As a fan of Greek myths all this caught me off guard but I highly enjoyed it.

Also, the calling on poseidon to curse reminded me of Polyphemus.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Goddamn there was some acting in this movie.

I loved the way most everything that happened was both hilarious and horrifying, and the scenes would imperceptibly adjust the balance as you watched.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Upon first viewing, I didnt like it as much as The Witch, but it was still exellent and it's definitely going to stick with me. Willam Defoe's performance was something else.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This director sure loves unintelligible dialogue is one thing I can say about the movie (and The VVitch)

My theater had letterboxing which was kind of annoying, especially because it supposedly prides itself on being traditional/arty