• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
This director sure loves unintelligible dialogue is one thing I can say about the movie (and The VVitch)

My theater had letterboxing which was kind of annoying, especially because it supposedly prides itself on being traditional/arty

Yep, the dialogue was difficult to hear and that was the only negative I have about the film.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Just got out of a showing and still digesting what I saw. I will say it was interesting for the fact alone there were no previews, trailers or anything of the like before our showing. It just goes straight into the film.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I had people walk out of the theater after Winslow/Thomas masturbated to the fantasy of fucking the mermaid.

I guess the mermaid vagina was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Loved this movie. Really looking forward to buying the blu ray.

People probably expecting a movie that mimics films of the '30s and '40s to adhere to the Hays Code.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I had to use the bathroom during a scene (after the first mermaid dream), did I miss anything major after?
Was out for like 5 minutes (got a drink too).

Was also battling sleep, but I didn't feel too lost anywhere really.

Though there was one scene very early on where Tom was looking towards the coast, I think.
He was looking towards there for a bit, but it was too dark for me to discern anything.
What was he looking at?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw it yesterday. I loved it. I understood every line they spoke so maybe it's the combination of recording style and accent? Mind you I lived in Scotland and the West Country in England so I'm used to various salts, Worzels and teuchters.

I do feel like the people asking if it's "cosmic Horror" should be told a plain, "No" because even if you assume everything literally happened, tain't cosmic. It's almost the opposite. It's local and personal and tiny.

Oct 28, 2017
This director sure loves unintelligible dialogue is one thing I can say about the movie (and The VVitch)

My theater had letterboxing which was kind of annoying, especially because it supposedly prides itself on being traditional/arty
I had to actively strain myself to understand the dialog, even tried to read their lips at times. I'd enjoy the movie more with closed captioning.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Went yesterday. Didn't understand a lot of it. But if the Greek mythology parallels are true, then that's why as I'm not well versed on that. But 2 powerful performances from the leads. I kept hearing how good Pattinson has been in other movies but I've only seen him in Rover before this. And Dafoe is always good, so no surprise there. Definitely needs another watch at some point.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
So was Young Tom actually hallucinating or was Old Tom just gaslighting him over stuff like the axe chase

If they're the same person, technically he chased 'himself' with an axe.

As far as whether it's cosmic horror, like Stinkles brought up, the crux of that genre is whether the threat is both fully knowable and conquerable. Cosmic horror requires one of these to be "no".

This wouldn't qualify because they are in a Grecian purgatory, meaning their situation could be explained to them. And if this situation is knowable, they can conquer it if Young Tommy would stop making the same mistakes like killing the gull. Purgatory is ultimately a test to determine where you end up. (Technically, they could conquer it without knowledge, but it'd be easier if they knew they were being judged.)

The only argument in favor of it being cosmic horror is that the lighthouse beacon's forbidden knowledge fries your brain. It has Lovecraftian elements but it's not cosmic horror.

Contrast this with The Witch, which has no Lovecraftian elements but is cosmic horror, because the threat is knowable but is NOT conquerable. That family is 150% fucked.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Liked it, didn't love it. Going to wait on a rewatch on a Blu-ray with subtitles to cement my feelings on this one. Missed damn near 1/3 of the dialogue here.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah the tentacle imagery can definitely lend to the feeling of "cosmic horror", but I am glad that it wasn't too overtly Lovecraftian (as much of a fan of Lovecraft as I am). The tentacles symbolizing the tendrils of madness surrounding Tom and controlling him as he pummeled Old Tom, the general imagery of the sea, etc. I loved it all. The viewer is left with unanswered questions but not in an unsatisfying way, which is a feat. Outstanding.

We saw it over the weekend and absolutely loved it, it's just such a joy to watch two actors portray a character so well as they descend further and further into madness. The cinematography and artistic direction were icing on top of what would have already been an incredible film even without.

We are ITCHING to see it again.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That scene where they're cackling in the shadows under the table before the sea crashes into the cottage was some nightmare fuel.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I love that it's shot in 1.19:1.

Pattinson's great (he might be making the best choices of any actor of his generation), and Dafoe is magnificent. This might be his best work since Last Temptation.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
For me, it was the opposite. Outside of a few lines, the dialog was so much easier to follow and understand than anything in The Witch.

Yeah I watched the Witch for the first time last evening after seeing this and barely understood 1/4 of the dialogue. Felt the lighthouse was both more understandable and the specific dialogue wasn't as important. Really dampened my viewing of the Witch and probably should have put subtitles on

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the film. I'm a bit shocked no one is mentioning any of the various gay subtext like Old Tom saying he'd makr young Tom polish his "nails" whether he liked it it or not and mentioned sperm whales and like a half dozen other innuendos. Or young Tom peeking on old Tom doing stuff like a voyeur. Or that time young tom talked about laying with a woman being evil or something.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the film. I'm a bit shocked no one is mentioning any of the various gay subtext like Old Tom saying he'd makr young Tom polish his "nails" whether he liked it it or not and mentioned sperm whales and like a half dozen other innuendos. Or young Tom peeking on old Tom doing stuff like a voyeur. Or that time young tom talked about laying with a woman being evil or something.
Subtext? They very nearly kiss

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
So my favorite visual from the film was that one still shot from one of the visions. The one with a Naked Dafaoe and Pattinson froze in some sort of sparring match with those lighthouse eyes peering into Pattinson. Thought it was just great on its own, but with the new angle adding in Greek Mythology makes me like it even more.
Invokes that imagery pretty damn well.
It's an exact recreation of this drawing by Sascha Schneider:
Hypnose_%28Schneider%29.jpg

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's an exact recreation of this drawing by Sascha Schneider:
Hypnose_%28Schneider%29.jpg
That's badass. A striking image that totally fits the film.

That scene of Dafoe cursing out Young Tom, talking about a trident in his gullet, is one of the most epic scenes in a movie I've seen in years. He deserves an Oscar for that alone.
Absolutely. One of the greatest monologues of the century so far.

I expect he has a good chance of being recognized for it too, given his prominent role in the film. I'd be surprised if he was snubbed like Michael Stuhlbarg, who delivered an equally great but very different kind of monologue near the end of Call Me By Your Name.

Last edited:

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I really liked the movie. I can see where people are coming from saying Pattinson wasn't great since I had a similar feeling for the first half or so. I kept getting pulled out my his accent not being 100% consistent, but when I stopped fixating on that I could see that he was going toe-to-toe with Dafoe and they were both just knocking it out of the park.

Dream imagery was also awesome. Particularly liked when there were all the logs floating, then they parted and you could see a body floating. I was getting Night of the Hunter vibes from some of it.

I felt like an idiot but I didn't really notice the film was black and white until at least 30 minutes in. For some reason, the aspect ratio was apparent but the black and white didn't really jump out at me until Winslow was like pumping some water from the cistern into his glass (I don't know why that all of a sudden made me think about it).

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
I can see where people are coming from saying Pattinson wasn't great since I had a similar feeling for the first half or so. I kept getting pulled out my his accent not being 100% consistent, but when I stopped fixating on that I could see that he was going toe-to-toe with Dafoe and they were both just knocking it out of the park.
I noticed that as well, but I think it was intentional, he went from an Eastern Canada/Maritime accent to a thick Boston accent once he revealed his true identity, as he drank more the facade dissolved, really great character acting if it was intentional (I think it was)

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I noticed that as well, but I think it was intentional, he went from an Eastern Canada/Maritime accent to a thick Boston accent once he revealed his true identity, as he drank more the facade dissolved, really great character acting if it was intentional (I think it was)
Maybe it was but it definitely sounded more Irish/British to me. It could've been maritime combined with period dialogue throwing me though.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
yoooo holy shit bros, that was fucking awesome. both leads brought it. those were some crazy visuals too. loved it.

don't fuck with the seagulls! ALSO, don't tell a man his cooking stinks! especially his lobster

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so uh, holy shit

I don't even know how I really feel about it yet other than I liked it but if there's one thing I can say about this movie it's that it's possibly perfect? like, everything working in tandem, everything considered, no fat at all, was never once bored, the pacing is invisible because you're just in it start to finish, never thought anything felt out of place, every word, every shot, every sound, every light. I've seen a lot of movies and I don't think I can name one where there isn't something I can point to even if it's nitpicky as hell.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
so uh, holy shit

I don't even know how I really feel about it yet other than I liked it but if there's one thing I can say about this movie it's that it's possibly perfect? like, everything working in tandem, everything considered, no fat at all, was never once bored, the pacing is invisible because you're just in it start to finish, never thought anything felt out of place, every word, every shot, every sound, every light. I've seen a lot of movies and I don't think I can name one where there isn't something I can point to even if it's nitpicky as hell.

Eggers is the film auteur the world needs right now

Dare I say, his commitment to the vision is Kubrick like. From historical accuracy to the outside the box cinematography.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I hated this movie but I can understand how its not made for my tastes. One question though, any interviews or articles on why the movie was shot in such a different aspect ratio? It kinda bugged me that it was basically only taking up maybe 60% of my theaters screen.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also the light/shadow for that one dafoe monologue was probably one of the best things I've ever seen

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
This was amazing. I think one of the best films of the year.

Also, I need to work on my mustache.

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I drove 30 miles to see this movie and had no idea what I just saw. It was great, but it leaves a ton of questions. The ending scene where Young Tom sees what is in the lighthouse was absolute sheer silence and horror from the theater I was in. The mermaid I kept thinking was a siren with the way it screams. And the fog horn noise was eerie, didn't even know that was what it was until now. Dafoe was amazing and this might be Pattinson's best performance I've seen from him. The use of black and white and the lighting camera work might be the best thing I've seen this year hands down.

I will say the masturbation/ptsd scene with Young Tom got a laugh outta me from his post-ejaculate grunts. Who sounds like that from jerking off.

Very much waiting for the blu-ray/4K version to watch as much as I like. Will watch with subtitles next time, it was hard to hear sometimes over the accent, language and the weather. Still, I need time to process what I saw, will likely be my film of the year but man was it a trip.

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know what this movie is, but I didn't really enjoy it a great deal.

I feel like it might be a bit better on a second viewing, since I won't have as many expectations and I already know the gist of the story. I really didn't like The Shining the first time I saw it, but came to enjoy subsequent viewings when I already knew the film's major events.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I dug it, Dafoe's Old Tom stole the show and Pattinson's acting as he's losing it is really good.

I assume everyone isn't even gonna bother with figuring out the ending. I think it fits with this.

aCid

Aug 18, 2018
Canada
From the time I watched the initial trailer I could not wait to see the movie. It didn't disappoint, and like many here, I was completely transfixed on my first viewing last week. I saw it for a second time tonight and can't recommend it enough.

One of the many things which occurred to me during the second viewing which I couldn't quite put my finger on before was that, the pacing during the first half of the film seems to be intentionally "unpleasant". I'm thinking this is likely to reflect the hard work and conditions (both physical and psychological) young Tom is being put through.

I have to say that though I was happy to see many frames again - and the eye light beams Ancient Greek pose stands out here - but the audiovisual distortion which occurs after young Tom finally unlocks the light for himself is absolutely harrowing stuff.

Point is: go see it again in theatres while you still can!

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
I thought it was outstanding, one of the bleakest film atmospheres I've seen. I want to see it again, now I'm wondering if I don't wait for a home release where the cinematography can really shine on a TV with proper contrast.

Winslow losing his sanity when looking at the light has to be one of most haunting scenes I've seen in a long, long time.

An incredible mix between David Lynch and Harold Pinter. Phenomenal performances from Dafoe and Pattinson. With the roles he has done post-Twilight, his role here as Winslow I believe to be his best, I have a feeling Pattinson will do incredible stuff under Nolan and Reeves and the acclaim and praise he is getting among die-hard filmgoers, critics, and the indie scene can become mainstream.

This film, especially with its sound design and score from Mark Korven, was made to be seen in theatres.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Just got home from seeing this. Willem's face is burnt into my retinas. I close my eyes and I just see his wild face cursing Young Tom to rot and dissolve into the sea. Fuck me... What an incredible movie.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
HOLY SHIT

I haven't been this enamored with a movie since There Will Be Blood.

I loved it so much. DaFoe was so amazing. I only see like 3 or 4 new movies a year so I'm not really qualified to say, but I hope he wins an Oscar.

Cinematography and sound were amazing. The B&W was perfect. Holy hell I want to see it again.

Does anyone have the woman's name at the end of the credits that they said the dialogue was based off?

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Every frame of the movie looked like a portrait taken on an old Hasselblad. Beautiful film.

Also, it being shot on black and white film stock was a perfect choice. The amount of black and grey tones gave it a lot of depth.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cannot stop thinking about this film since seeing it. It's the first I've seen since Blade Runner 2049 and Hereditary where I came out of it thinking "holy shit, that's an immediate classic right there".

The atmosphere is unreal at times and the cinematography is amazing throughout. I love how oppressive it is from the start, the 1x1 frame makes everything that happens feel so cramped and claustrophobic. Even cooler is that the first 30 minutes of the film has many shots that have the characters occupy a small part of the frame with dead space occupying the other 2/3. It takes a lot of confidence to take an already cramped frame and further shrink it. It feels suffocating at times and it's incredibly effective at selling you on their isolation.