• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I was very impressed with the high visibility of the scenes. I was worried the b&w would make things hard to parse but I found the opposite to be the case. Nothing was hidden from view. And I was most impressed with the lighting on Pattison's face as he gazed at the lamp, almost as if he were being burned away. So happy I saw this in theaters.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I was very impressed with the high visibility of the scenes. I was worried the b&w would make things hard to parse but I found the opposite to be the case. Nothing was hidden from view. And I was most impressed with the lighting on Pattison's face as he gazed at the lamp, almost as if he were being burned away. So happy I saw this in theaters.
IMO it's the best visualization of "incomprehensible cosmic horror driving someone insane" that I've ever seen among Lovecraftian/horror movies, and the movie is only tangentially Lovecraftian/not even cosmic horror.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That was so fucking good. The movie is absolutely gorgeous. Dafoe's performance was spectacular, and it might be my favorite Pattinson performance. This is absolutely a movie to watch in theaters. I'm going again, because it might be my favorite movie since Blade Runner 2049.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
the contrast of the indoor scenes feeling extremely claustrophobic and the outdoor scenes making the lighthouse look like a skyscraper >>>

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
It was okay,
I liked the performances and the ideas and some of the shot but it dragged a lot. Also it's a movie for a certain audience hence A24 picked it up. It's not made for general public and found it rather odd and just got repetitive. But I also don't really care for greek mythology which I guess this movie is based around so that didnt click while watching. It's just a weird movie that some will love and some will not. I fall in the category of not loving it and will probably never watch it again.
6/10

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Just got back from seeing this and it pretty much delivered exactly what I wanted. The only thing that caught me off guard was that the "why'd you spill your beans" scene was a lot more contextually dour and less humorous than the trailer implied, in an otherwise pretty damn funny movie.

I'm itching for a rewatch though, and not just for the subtitles. I loved both this and the Witch, but the Witch definitely didn't ever tempt me with a rewatch the way this did since that was a way more straight-forward story.

Loved the fact that this was in B/W too. Really made the lighting stand out in a way that I don't think color could've managed.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
If they're the same person, technically he chased 'himself' with an axe.

As far as whether it's cosmic horror, like Stinkles brought up, the crux of that genre is whether the threat is both fully knowable and conquerable. Cosmic horror requires one of these to be "no".

This wouldn't qualify because they are in a Grecian purgatory, meaning their situation could be explained to them. And if this situation is knowable, they can conquer it if Young Tommy would stop making the same mistakes like killing the gull. Purgatory is ultimately a test to determine where you end up. (Technically, they could conquer it without knowledge, but it'd be easier if they knew they were being judged.)

The only argument in favor of it being cosmic horror is that the lighthouse beacon's forbidden knowledge fries your brain. It has Lovecraftian elements but it's not cosmic horror.

Contrast this with The Witch, which has no Lovecraftian elements but is cosmic horror, because the threat is knowable but is NOT conquerable. That family is 150% fucked.

I disagree with a piece of your last point there.

With The Witch, the main threat to the family is themselves. Each one of them carries some kind of weakness to be exploitated by Satan. To win, all they ever had to do was go back where they came from -- but daddy's pride and piousness (his weaknesses) prevented that. It's tragic and could have been avoided (which is kinda the thing with Christianity anyway; no accountability and blaming the devil for everything).

Contrast to Aster's Hereditary, where being totally screwed over by demonic forces was practically written in the stars for that family. THAT'S your 150% fucked.

Rudr

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Felt like a Lynch film. I'm still processing what i watched but it was a wild ride.

The scene where old tom popped out with the axe scared the shit out of me.

Pudie

The Fallen
Aug 19, 2018
Can someone answer me a question without spoiling the movie?

My biggest concern with this is that it's going to be too David Lynchian, and I'm just not a fan of his work. I know this movie goes a bit off the rails at the end with their decent into madness, but would you say the overall movie is Lynch like in that it's overall mostly incompressible and "weird for the sake of being weird"(I know it's not the best argument against his stuff, but still)?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

My biggest concern with this is that it's going to be too David Lynchian, and I'm just not a fan of his work. I know this movie goes a bit off the rails at the end with their decent into madness, but would you say the overall movie is Lynch like in that it's overall mostly incompressible and "weird for the sake of being weird"(I know it's not the best argument against his stuff, but still)?

I would avoid this film if I were you

Arzak

Jun 21, 2019

Mmm, I don't think its Lynchian in the way you don't enjoy. Even though yes, many elements are left up to interpretation or have some double meaning, theres still a straightforward plot to follow.

It's not abstract or surreal in the same way that most Lynch movies are. (Saying this as a huge fan of Lynch)

I found the pacing and the humor/type of humor it uses makes it alot more approachable as well.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I disagree with a piece of your last point there.

With The Witch, the main threat to the family is themselves. Each one of them carries some kind of weakness to be exploitated by Satan. To win, all they ever had to do was go back where they came from -- but daddy's pride and piousness (his weaknesses) prevented that. It's tragic and could have been avoided (which is kinda the thing with Christianity anyway; no accountability and blaming the devil for everything).

Contrast to Aster's Hereditary, where being totally screwed over by demonic forces was practically written in the stars for that family. THAT'S your 150% fucked.
Yeah Hereditary has more leanings towards cosmic horror. Same with Midsommar, there's something going on beyond just the surface level with the drugging but we never find out. Your colony just doesn't develop some kind of hive mind by just doing some acid

Oct 25, 2017
That was such a great experience. It's been a long time since I've seen a movie that just made me go "hold on I need to process everything".
I'm still thinking about everything.

To be honest I think the second half of the movie is a mix of being in Tommy's head and things that actually happened. You can tell he's cracked and he's consumed by guilt and the lack of human interaction, his perception of time is distorted.

One thing I noticed is that the sound of the lighthouse horn that's pretty much always blaring in the background pretty much stops towards the end of the movie, despite the fact they keep maintaining everything as normal the horn sound pretty much doesn't come back after they are left stranded. It makes me wonder if that implies the events are transpiring within tommy's mind or if time is totally distorted.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Hereditary has more leanings towards cosmic horror. Same with Midsommar, there's something going on beyond just the surface level with the drugging but we never find out. Your colony just doesn't develop some kind of hive mind by just doing some acid
Hive mind? Nothing of the sort is implied in Midsommar. They're just empathetic to a disturbing degree

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
It's made its way into my top 5 movies of all-time. Easily. I watched the Witch last night and it's also very good though I didn't enjoy it as much. Something about the way Eggers tells a story etches certain parts into my mind long after the movie is finished.

aCid

Aug 18, 2018
Canada
Couldn't agree more. I saw it yesterday, and I'm itching to see it again soon. I think I'll be seeing it again before the weekend is out.
I did this and it's totally worth it. So if you feel this way, do it for sure. I know a lot of people are waiting for a Blu-ray rewatch (which will undoubtedly be wonderful) but, imo, the theatre is the place to see this masterpiece. Again, and again, and...

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Hive mind? Nothing of the sort is implied in Midsommar. They're just empathetic to a disturbing degree
You sure? The end kinda solidified to me that something more was going on. The main girl, while she had her boyfriend burned alive after he had been raped (god damn this movie is fucked up), she kept coughing like she was choking on the smoke even though she was nowhere near the sacrificial barn. I doubt she was being empathetic because she fucking hated him and was having him killed.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't like this movie. I don't like about half of Lynch movies, but love others - I loved Dune for example, which I know makes me an outlier. I liked original Twin Peaks up to a point but didn't bother watching the new one, liked Mulholland Drive a bit, and didn't like anything most of his other work.

This movie didn't feel very Lynchian to me, the setup and story is pretty straightforward and while it lets you interpret whats going on, its pretty cut and dry up until the end - X happens then Y then Z and they all follow logically with only a few hints of weirdness.

To me imo the better comparisons are Mother! or It Comes at Night. If you like those two movies you probably will like this. I didn't like either one, and found The Lighthouse super boring.

Last edited:

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I don't really like Lynch, but I loved this.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I did this and it's totally worth it. So if you feel this way, do it for sure. I know a lot of people are waiting for a Blu-ray rewatch (which will undoubtedly be wonderful) but, imo, the theatre is the place to see this masterpiece. Again, and again, and...

I'll be watching it a ton once it hits blu-ray, but I know I'll regret it if I don't see it again in the theater. It's too gorgeous, and the sound work is too good to only see it on the big screen once.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Just saw it. What an experience man. The sound design was fucking impeccable. Dafoe getting buried made me scared for him irl that he could have suffocated.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kept thinking about Willem Dafoe's day at work that day: deliver a difficult monologue in an intensely historical affect while getting pounds of dirt thrown into his fucking mouth lol.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
IMO it's the best visualization of "incomprehensible cosmic horror driving someone insane" that I've ever seen among Lovecraftian/horror movies, and the movie is only tangentially Lovecraftian/not even cosmic horror.

Yes, it's a perfect Lovecraft movie.

Oct 26, 2017
Was Tom stuck there in limbo/purgatory/whatever because he killed the man whom's name he stole?

I also assume every single seagull is in fact Tom and his soul, hence why the one he killed was missing an eye? Showing everytime he's failed in his hell.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Kept thinking about Willem Dafoe's day at work that day: deliver a difficult monologue in an intensely historical affect while getting pounds of dirt thrown into his fucking mouth lol.

It was Dafoe's second day on set, too. You also can't really tell, but there is a lot of water in the grave. Cold, cold water. Thankfully they did it in about 2 takes.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Pick up anything interesting on the 2nd viewing that stood out to you on another go around?

Yep! I noticed the seagull messing with him only had one eye just like Tom's old partner who also had one eye. Also, I'm wondering if Tommy having his eyes burned and falling down the stairs was not only a Prometheus ending, but also relatable to the falling of Icarus?

Oct 26, 2017
Yep! I noticed the seagull messing with him only had one eye just like Tom's old partner who also had one eye. Also, I'm wondering if Tommy having his eyes burned and falling down the stairs was not only a Prometheus ending, but also relatable to the falling of Icarus?
I was wondering about Icarus also. At first I thought Tom was kind of a Prometheus figure, stealing fire and all, but Icarus feels more fitting for him in this movie.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was expected to really love that movie but ended up not really liking this.

First of all, im not a fan of seeing people drunk so half the movie was that.

And while the long rant from both character was great, i just feel like it as too forced. Too artsy, not the fault of the actors but i feel like it was there just to be there.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering about Icarus also. At first I thought Tom was kind of a Prometheus figure, stealing fire and all, but Icarus feels more fitting for him in this movie.

Both are relevant, and don't forget Sisyphus who had to roll a Boulder up a hill, only to have roll down, and do it all over again for eternity. Much like Tom bringing the oil can up the stairs.

Interestingly, Sisyphus was known as a violator of the Greek code of hospitality because he killed travelers and guests (Killing of the gull/Winslow).

Sisyphus was also something of a trickster and chained Hades(or Thanatos depending on version) up, cheating death.

Oct 26, 2017
I was expected to really love that movie but ended up not really liking this.

First of all, im not a fan of seeing people drunk so half the movie was that.

And while the long rant from both character was great, i just feel like it as too forced. Too artsy, not the fault of the actors but i feel like it was there just to be there.
I really went into it thinking it was going to be too artsy in a forced way, but was surprised that it left me feeling less artsy than after Midsommar. And I did not like Midsommar.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the movie was just "good" when I first saw it (although beautiful visually and in terms of audio), but I haven't stopped thinking about it. I'm now really wanting to see it again. The more I've thought about different parts of it, the more I appreciate it.

I thought Willem Defoe was good but I'm surprised at how much he's getting praise versus Pattinson. I found Pattinson to be the most impressive. Defoe's character was a little less dynamic to me.

Oct 26, 2017
When looking up stuff on Triton, I found this:

From Wikipedia:
Triton in later times became associated with possessing a conch shell, which he blew like a trumpet to calm or raise the waves
800px-Froener-notice-sculpture-p025.jpg

Reminds me of the look of the horn blaring throughout the first half of the film

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably need to see this a second time. I enjoyed it but thought it was a slightly more dynamic stage play. Performances were great, though.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
The cinematography, acting, design, and technical aspects are worth the price of admission. I've never seen any piece of art that felt more "nautical." But I have to admit I left the theater feeling lost and a bit unsatisfied by the ending. I'm typically not a fan of movies that don't give you an opportunity to discern what's literal and what's allegory. I'd be willing to give it another watch though.

Feels like a movie that's going to have The Shining-esque dissections for years to come, for better or worse.

Defoe's monologue/curse is legendary, and I imagine will be the new go-to monologue for drama students.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Just saw it a third time in the theatre with various different friends. Sounds crazy but I just love looking at it

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dafoe's character is Old Nan in GoT.

Didn't particularly like the movie. Dafoe is great, but the other Tom's act felt like attention-grabbing/award-baiting. Didn't really believe how he went insane, and even Dafoe's character is all over the place even if his performance was good. Overall too much forced melodrama, and the seagulls eating at Tom's innards topped that off even more.

Joelington

Sep 13, 2019
Canada
Saw this the other day. Perhaps one of the most bizarre, uncomfortable, and disturbing films that I've ever watched.
I absolutely loved it, and it's been dominating my thoughts since I left the theatre. Probably the best film I've seen this year.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's literally all I was thinking about while watching that scene. I actually missed a good chunk of that speech. Lol