• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Whats with Dafoe'e character beaming light into Pattinson's in one scene ?

A representation of his gaslighting or something else ?

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit now THIS was a movie. Loved every second of it.

The ending with Pattinson and the distorted screams really fucking got me. The sound en colors in that shot are really intense, I almost had to look away.

Up there with Parasite and Joker for favorite movie this year.

Also, is The Witch any good? Does it have any jumpscares or is dit more like The Lighthouse?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The ending with Pattinson and the distorted screams really fucking got me. The sound en colors in that shot are really intense, I almost had to look away.

Also, is The Witch any good? Does it have any jumpscares or is dit more like The Lighthouse?

it's more creeping unease- it has a lot of the grimness of their realities but is definitely a slow burn "horror " film vs Lighthouse Dark comedy/drama. Lighthouse is also a stage play in construction and VVitch is more traditional movie making.

They're extremely different but connected by themes and atmosphere.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I accidentally clicked this thread and I haven't seen the Lighthouse yet BUT if you're looking for atmospheric horror that doesn't rely on jumpscares then yes definitely see The Witch. Similar use of historically accurate dialect as well.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017

The distorted scream is one of my favorite scenes in any movie. I love it so much.

The Witch has one jump scare. It's a slow burn like The Lighthouse. Enjoy.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Going to watch The Witch next. I really hate jumpscares and have fainted before because of it (yeah I know lol) Especially hate it when it builds up and BOOM.

But The Witch Sounds really solid!

Thnx guys :).

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
This is going to stick with me. What an uneasy watch but I simply could not look away. Incredible performances and a horrifying last act.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Thanks! The direct homage to the Hypnos illustration really seals it for me.
I'm currently watching this a second time and you really solidified what the movie is about for me cause it's all I see 😂 very good job 👍

Also this movie is ducking amazing and I don't know if I can say it officially because it's hurts me to it really does but I might like this movie more then avengers end game 😳

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
This is now available in early access on Vudu etc., so I finally got the chance to see it. Incredible stuff that bears a lot of repeat viewings.

Does anyone have the woman's name at the end of the credits that they said the dialogue was based off?

Extremely late response to your question, but it's the novelist Sarah Orne Jewett. Her most famous novel is The Country of the Pointed Firs, which - I'll let Wikipedia sum it up far more succinctly than I would have - "can be read as a study of the effects of isolation and hardship experienced by the inhabitants of the decaying fishing villages along the Maine coast." So it's pretty apparent why her work was referenced for this.

My take:

The entire movie is a metaphore about living with addiction, specifically alcoholism. I don't think any of the film's events are literal.

I had the same thought several times during this first viewing: "This is a movie about alcoholism." Not entirely, of course, but it definitely warrants further reflection.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently watching this a second time and you really solidified what the movie is about for me cause it's all I see 😂 very good job 👍

Also this movie is ducking amazing and I don't know if I can say it officially because it's hurts me to it really does but I might like this movie more then avengers end game 😳
Hey, there were lots of great movies this year!

I loved Endgame a bunch but it definitely wasn't my favorite movie of 2019

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Oh fuck yes this is out on VOD! Just in time for Christmas. Just bought it on Amazon Prime. Film of the year imo. Sooooo stoked to watch this with subtitles

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing movie. Loved everything about it, the setting, the plot, the acting. I'm not sure if it's better, but I think I prefer this one over The Witch. Something interesting I read about this was that while The Witch is a study on femininity, this one is a study on masculinity. I like that.

I also really liked that this movie is weird without being weird for the sake of it in a Lynchian, inconprehensible way. I think this is a movie made in a way that all the readings people are making of it are correct. In my own interpretation this movie has two very obvious layers: The plot that is real and actually happening and a symbolic layer that could be both Young Tom's alcoholic hallucinations and messages and universal imagens intented for the audience to illustrate what is happening to Young Tom.

I think everything that happens in Young Tom's perspective actually happened in reality. The catch here is the gaslighting that Old Tom does to him, that distorts his mind more and more as the movie progresses. Old Tom is a man with a boring life and never was anything other than a lighthouse keeper, and he resents that, so he makes up all sorts of stories about his life. He seems to resent how Young Tom worked in a totally different place like the forests in Canada and the fact he read books and is aware of the regulaments. Old Tom's hobby is to drive his subordinates insane and abuse them as much as he can, both because he envies them and also because he is a bored sadist.

Old Tom did not kill his previous assistant but makes up that he died to scare Young Tom. He planted the mermaid idol in Young Tom's bed to make his story stronger. Everything, including trying to get Young Tom drink and open up constantly, being adamant about the light being his, the seagulls, forcing him to do long hours of hardwork, everything is a tool to torture Young Tom even further. The mermaid also represents Young Tom's repressed sexuality in that isolated place and the lonely life he is being living for a long time, Old Tom's way of reliving his sexual urges though is through forcing his subordinates into deep submission. There are a lot of sexual innuendos when he abuses the young assistant ("I will make you suck these rusty nails") and how he constantly makes remarks about how Young Tom is handsome. Old Tom also forces him to open himself up to better hurt him like using the fact he deeply disliked being called a dog and how guilty he felt for leaving Ephraim Winslow to drown. But the final proof of how the abuse is the axe scene, when Old Tom clearly doesn't even bother anymore in being subtle. The problem that leads to the movie's climax is that Young Tom appears to be submissive when he is trying to rebuild his life and never repeat his mistake again, but when pushed enough he is a violent person capable of horrible things, something that Old Tom never had to deal before.

That's a lot to unpack in this movie, this is barely scratching the surface. One of the best movies of 2019, period.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Wow, just watched it yesterday and it was freaking great! Both actors performance were amazing

and damn that scream at the end is so haunting, reminded me a bit of how silent hill distorded sounds and so on

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I didn't catch was during one of the more insane moments when Young Tom makes that turpentine based hooch and Old Tom belts out a weird sentence after sampling it.

The hell did he say??

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
One thing I didn't catch was during one of the more insane moments when Young Tom makes that turpentine based hooch and Old Tom belts out a weird sentence after sampling it.

The hell did he say??

Monkey PUMP!

I don't understand why he says it but goddamn I felt it lol

I am going to throw a fit if Dafoe doesn't get at the very least an Oscar nom for this. Literally one of my favorite performances of all time.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Monkey PUMP!

I don't understand why he says it but goddamn I felt it lol

I am going to throw a fit if Dafoe doesn't get at the very least an Oscar nom for this. Literally one of my favorite performances of all time.

The lack of a golden globe nomination was absolutely staggering. What a massive fucking oversight.

The iTunes version of the film has no English subs (except for French) and I have to assume that's deliberate on the part of the filmmakers. Like a musician who doesn't want to publish the lyrics to their songs.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
The lack of a golden globe nomination was absolutely staggering. What a massive fucking oversight.

The iTunes version of the film has no English subs (except for French) and I have to assume that's deliberate on the part of the filmmakers. Like a musician who doesn't want to publish the lyrics to their songs.

Oh wow for real?! That's weird. Amazon version definitely had the subtitles. I've watched my favorite scenes over and over with them on. I seriously can't get over how much I love this movie man lol.

Golden Globes can differ from Oscars for some reason. Like the year Aaron Taylor Johnson won the GG for Nocturnal Animals, but didn't receive an Oscar nom for it, and Tom Hardy in the Revenant wasn't nominated that same year for a GG, but received an Oscar nom, which he probably should have won imo. So that's what I'm hoping for here. Not only does Dafoe deserve the nomination, he totally deserves to actually win the Oscar for this.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow for real?! That's weird. Amazon version definitely had the subtitles. I've watched my favorite scenes over and over with them on. I seriously can't get over how much I love this movie man lol.

Golden Globes can differ from Oscars for some reason. Like the year Aaron Taylor Johnson won the GG for Nocturnal Animals, but didn't receive an Oscar nom for it, and Tom Hardy in the Revenant wasn't nominated that same year for a GG, but received an Oscar nom, which he probably should have won imo. So that's what I'm hoping for here. Not only does Dafoe deserve the nomination, he totally deserves to actually win the Oscar for this.

Totally agree. Dude was more pot-committed to that role than I've seen from any actor for quite some time. Like, was he actually eating fucking dirt when he was being buried? lol

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Just saw it, Dafoe's otherworldly rant after Pattinson says he doesn't like his cooking was hilarious and then Pattinson meekly caving in afterwards made it even funnier.

Was definitely not expecting the movie to be as comedic as it was. I didn't exactly fully comprehend everything that was happening but it was a fun ride so I'll give it that.

I totally thought after Pattinson confessed and Dafoe gets in his head that there would be some reveal that Dafoe was a sea god or whatever and it seemed to be leaning into that angle on purpose and then backed away.

Kinda upset we don't see what's in the actual lens but glad it wasn't all in his head or anything either. Or was it🤔

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Finally saw it. What. A. Movie!

I read a theory that this is his purgatory and both characters are actually the same man who is doomed to repeat this over and over.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
A wonderful masterclass. I highly recommend this. Just a strange, beautiful, (and funny), film.

Oct 25, 2017
Watched this last night and loved it. The lighting, atmosphere and performances were absolutely stellar.

It was way more comedic than I was expecting. Probably one of the funniest films I've seen in a while. Also happy it didn't shy away from the homoerotic tension.

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
unfortunately i didn't care much for this as a complete film. however, the scene where howard interacts with the light near the end is absolutely incredible. pretty sure it's in mono, too?

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
ykno i never was really much of a fan of Dafoe. i have seen him in loads of stuff but after watching this i really have warmed up to him.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it more than the other Oscar bigs.
Surprised no awards or noms.

Eggers is a fun director, can't wait for the next one.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
That ending scene with the Light just messed me up lol. Probably didn't help it was 3am

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Finally got to see this and my word, what a film. I love everyone's interpretations and that it's deliberately left open ended so that everyone can pretty much be correct in their interpretations. Both actors gave stunning performances - Dafoe was incredible, and of course that scene where he curses young Tom was amazing in every way, as well as his unbroken rant at the end while having dirt thrown down on him, almost choking on it. It's fascinating that he can talk in so obviously an old manner, just about out of time, but we have no trouble following what he's saying. Except for, "Monkey pump!", I guess!

Pattinson's performance was incredible, too, and speaks well of his career in the industry to come. Dafoe had great lighting and camera setup in the curse scene on his side so of course everyone is impressed with that, but I would say that the scene where Pattinson finally gives vent to his frustration and anger is just as amazing a performance, and his insane laughter and scream when he finally sees the lamp has obviously left its mark on everyone.

Absolutely stunning film-making.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My take is they are one and the same.

Would it be historically accurate there was two people? I suspect what happened was old man lighthouse keeper killed his old hand and then in cane young Thomas as his hand and he went ducking nuts due to the drink and loneliness.

Absolutely bonkers film with lots to unpack and mull over.

the cinematography was sublime in this, the curse scene with Defoe was some of the best lighting I've ever seen!

The actors knocked it out of the park, Defoe and Pattison were enchanting.

Last edited:

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Holy shit I think this is my favorite movie of this century after There Will Be Blood. Eggers attention to historical detail in language and setting speaks to my inner nerd and the dark humor, reminds me of early Coen Bros.

The actors were fucking bonkers, lighting and cinematography were so good, and that scene with Dafoe cursing out Pattinson about the fucking lobster, lmao, SO GOOD.

"Have it your way, I like your food"

Oct 26, 2017
Showed my friends the blu ray of this after a night of drinking by their request, they fell asleep within the first 15 minutes. God bless this film

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Amazing movie. Loved everything about it, the setting, the plot, the acting. I'm not sure if it's better, but I think I prefer this one over The Witch. Something interesting I read about this was that while The Witch is a study on femininity, this one is a study on masculinity. I like that.

I also really liked that this movie is weird without being weird for the sake of it in a Lynchian, inconprehensible way. I think this is a movie made in a way that all the readings people are making of it are correct. In my own interpretation this movie has two very obvious layers: The plot that is real and actually happening and a symbolic layer that could be both Young Tom's alcoholic hallucinations and messages and universal imagens intented for the audience to illustrate what is happening to Young Tom.

I think everything that happens in Young Tom's perspective actually happened in reality. The catch here is the gaslighting that Old Tom does to him, that distorts his mind more and more as the movie progresses. Old Tom is a man with a boring life and never was anything other than a lighthouse keeper, and he resents that, so he makes up all sorts of stories about his life. He seems to resent how Young Tom worked in a totally different place like the forests in Canada and the fact he read books and is aware of the regulaments. Old Tom's hobby is to drive his subordinates insane and abuse them as much as he can, both because he envies them and also because he is a bored sadist.

Old Tom did not kill his previous assistant but makes up that he died to scare Young Tom. He planted the mermaid idol in Young Tom's bed to make his story stronger. Everything, including trying to get Young Tom drink and open up constantly, being adamant about the light being his, the seagulls, forcing him to do long hours of hardwork, everything is a tool to torture Young Tom even further. The mermaid also represents Young Tom's repressed sexuality in that isolated place and the lonely life he is being living for a long time, Old Tom's way of reliving his sexual urges though is through forcing his subordinates into deep submission. There are a lot of sexual innuendos when he abuses the young assistant ("I will make you suck these rusty nails") and how he constantly makes remarks about how Young Tom is handsome. Old Tom also forces him to open himself up to better hurt him like using the fact he deeply disliked being called a dog and how guilty he felt for leaving Ephraim Winslow to drown. But the final proof of how the abuse is the axe scene, when Old Tom clearly doesn't even bother anymore in being subtle. The problem that leads to the movie's climax is that Young Tom appears to be submissive when he is trying to rebuild his life and never repeat his mistake again, but when pushed enough he is a violent person capable of horrible things, something that Old Tom never had to deal before.

That's a lot to unpack in this movie, this is barely scratching the surface. One of the best movies of 2019, period.

What a fantastic post!!

I finally watched this movie, a fantastic film. Loved everything about it. There is a lot to be said about alcoholism and loneliness in this too.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Finally watched this as well and it wasn't what I was expecting but in a good way. Guess that's the good thing about not informing yourself too much about a movie before watching it (only watched the trailer a year ago or so).

Not too sure about the ending though. Felt a bit too open for interpretation for my taste. Like you can interpret a lot of things into this and everything is kinda backed up during the movie but you never know for sure what actually happened.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, fucking fantastic film. Really great performances, atmosphere and cinematography. The fucking sounds as well. I'm here to fucking bang the drum for Dafoe's performance. This shit is Oscar worthy not doubt. Also the sound editing should be nominated at least as well.

Gotta say I don't like how open to interpretation it is. The mermaid, him seeing himself etc. What is real and what is hallucination and what day it is, is really up for interpretation. I think everybody's dead on about this being a purgatory deal etc. Interesting stuff with the greek mythology too good research boys. I just thought it was leading somewhere a little more concrete.

The words being so 1800 is just so great. DIG SAYS I DIG

As well as the songs and dancing lol they really seem like old sailors. Pattinson does a great job as well.

Sillyeskimo really like your theory!!

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
I'm late but wew, what a movie. Watched it in complete darkness which added atmosphere. Holy shit at Dafoe's performance ... even eating the dirty that madman. Baffled reading here that he got no big noms for it.
Have to watch it again soon.