G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
Good video. I like to call that the "the left should self-marginalize" mindset, it gave great results in Europe (but then again maybe the US are secretly more progressive than I expect. Which is a real possibility, I don't live there.)

Gabe323

Oct 18, 2019
This seems oddly dismissive. But I'll take you at your word and assume you have an open mind and don't just look for media that conform to your preconceived beliefs.

- He talks about the Lincoln Project critically
- His opinion matters because his videos are well-researched and contain cogent arguments that acknowledge context and opposing arguments
His video has nothing new that wasn't already being spammed in every TLP video before they were shut down.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If you're a cishet white dude promoting massively wealthy bigots under "the enemy of my enemy" and acting like influence given is something you can retract post-election then just lol.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The purpose of the "enemy of my enemy" argument is that you might need your enemy's help to win, which I'm not convinced we do. You're not supposed to just team up with any random person who happens to dislike the same people you dislike, only those that might actually be tactically useful in the long term. The Lincoln Project's videos are so garish and overexaggerated that they don't appeal to anyone that isn't already opposed to Trump. We don't need their help and the cost of allowing them to get their hooks into the Democratic Party or broader society is too great.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the takes in this thread are embarrassing. Watch the fucking video before going immediately into "EVERYONE KNOWS THEY'RE REPUBLICANS BUT THE ENEMY OF MY ENEMY IS MY FRIEND AND ALSO LEFTISTS ARE BAD" mode. Do you think Cody just went "did you know that TLP were Republicans???" for 18 minutes straight with nothing of substance to say or something?

TLP isn't grifting conservatives by doing this. They're grifting liberals and contributing to steering the Democratic Party to the right. But some of you will just skip the video and go "ooooh that dunk on Trump was SAVAGE I'm sure he'll cry himself to sleep tonight!"

Enough with that shit. This isn't a spectacle.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
The enemy of my enemy, is still my enemy.
89c.gif

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It's a good video but it doesn't really need to be said. Yeah we know they are Republicans. I'll take their ads.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The purpose of the "enemy of my enemy" argument is that you might need your enemy's help to win, which I'm not convinced we do. The Lincoln Project's videos are so garish and overexaggerated that they don't appeal to anyone that isn't already opposed to Trump. We don't need their help and the cost of allowing them to get their hooks into the Democratic Party or broader society is too great.

Maybe we don't their help for Trump in the General. But what Joni Ernst in Iowa? or Daines in Montana? Collins in Montana You think their ads might help there?

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
You know ever since the ban on TLP ads because they were getting a platform here on ERA, The only threads started that is giving a signal boost to TLP are those upset that some on ERA are signal boosting them.
The difference is, we actually don't give them click nor watch their videos. Unlike those who defend them.

No a gotcha at all.

Oct 25, 2017
His video has nothing new that wasn't already being spammed in every TLP video before they were shut down.
I don't know if that's true. It's an 18-minute video that presents its content in a more ordered, comprehensive fashion. But I'm not surprised that people, already by frustrated by those critical of TLP, would not be receptive to this video.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the Lincoln Project. All republicans are disgusting racists and these mother fuckers are no different. If these nerds got jobs in the Trump admin they wouldn't be doing all of this. They're parasitically trying to secure jobs or relevance once trump is beaten and it's sad people here are going for it after talking all this shit about republicans

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Good video. I like to call that the "the left should self-marginalize" mindset, it gave great results in Europe (but then again maybe the US are secretly more progressive than I expect. Which is a real possibility, I don't live there.)
I'm there and dear lord no.
Think of the US as....a cross between the middle of the La Creuse and Neuilly politically.
Trump wouldn't be trying so hard to kill his constituents we would be looking at an easy reelection for him.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get the concern that people who are sharing these ads will suddenly turn around and start sharing right-wing ads. The only reason people are sharing them now is because they agree with them and once they stop agreeing with them, they'll stop sharing them and the organization will fall back into obscurity.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't really get the concern that people who are sharing these ads will suddenly turn around and start sharing right-wing ads.
That isn't the concern and never has been. It's the braindead strawman that people want to set up against those of us who are critical of TLP.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get the concern that people who are sharing these ads will suddenly turn around and start sharing right-wing ads. The only reason people are sharing them now is because they agree with them and once they stop agreeing with them, they'll stop sharing them and the organization will fall back into obscurity.

that's an interesting observation have you watched the video tho

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I think seeing so many family members fall for bs on Facebook and Twitter gives some people a type of PTSD and they are over sensitive to people being tricked into a cause. Which is weird here because most of us are likey in that same position in our family watching in horror as family members repost conspiracy theories and Trump videos on social media.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
When biden steps down in 2024 I'm sure TLP will have a great suggestion on which democrat should run.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I do get the concern but I think it's incredibly overblown. Policy proposal so far hasn't show TLP to be really effective in their influence.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
No, I legitimately don't.

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree then. If TLP was only about just getting rid of Trump, then I might agree, a platform for these guys might not be worth it.

But they are hitting Trump's enablers, not just in 2020, but further down the road as well. To me there is value in that, others will disagree.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
You know ever since the ban on TLP ads because they were getting a platform here on ERA, The only threads started that is giving a signal boost to TLP are those upset that some on ERA are signal boosting them.

I thought only new TLP threads that were allowed were for news. Is there some new argument in the video? I watched a few minutes and it seemed like the same stuff.

Threads like this are boosting TLP unintentionally. Based on how this has shaken out in the past, we don't need a new thread every time a rando posts a tweet or video.

Let TLP spread where it's intended, amongst Reagan and Bush fans.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I thought only new TLP threads that were allowed were for news. Is there some new argument in the video? I watched a few minutes and it seemed like the same stuff.

Threads like this are boosting TLP unintentionally. Based on how this has shaken out in the past, we don't need a new thread every time a rando posts a tweet or video.

Let TLP spread where it's intended, amongst Reagan and Bush fans.

I guess you could consider a new video news? That is for the staff to figure out. They also made a new thread for some tweets. I haven't posted any articles on TLP because i assumed ERA didn't want to give these guys a platform anymore, but I was wrong about that. I'll start posting TLP news again.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree then. If TLP was only about just getting rid of Trump, then I might agree, a platform for these guys might not be worth it.

But they are hitting Trump's enablers, not just in 2020, but further down the road as well. To me there is value in that, others will disagree.
"I believe in the mission of The Lincoln Project because they only favor the polite Republican monsters, not the mean and stupid ones."

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Bingo. This is your classic anime "The less significant bad guys form a temporary truce with the heroes to defeat the greater villain that's a threat to all of them, with the implicit understanding that they will go back to opposing sides once that's taken care of" development. Sometimes Team Rocket fights alongside Ash Ketchum.

This is the best explanation ever.

The "Make America Great Again" Arc has been one of the worst arcs in America's run. I'm hoping that season 46 stars Biden. This anime really had some highs and lows. One of my favorite arcs is number 16 "Lincoln Linking the Nation." The "Obama's Chaos Emerald" arc (season 44) was a pretty good one too, John McCain was a stand out despite Obama's charisma. There was way too much fan-service in season 42 "Bill Clinton's Chronicles."

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Why is this funny? Am I supposed to know who this budget John Oliver wanna be is?
Why be so dismissive of someone just because you don't know who they are? That's stupid. Some More News gets posted on here extremely often, several episodes get their own thread. SMN does good work for leftist media, and even though I don't agree 100% with Cody all the time you should recognize he's a good voice for disseminating information on YouTube and exists in the sphere of influence that will hopefully continue to grow leftist ideology against an internet culture that for years has been full of right wing influences run amok, almost without any counter personalities for years.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
There's a realism angle to all this, which is that power voids tend to get filled.

The left has no practice making effective attack ads. That's exclusively the realm of moderates and conservatives. So it's no surprise that as Trump's opposition has grown, disaffected conservatives would start making attack ads and they'd be better than the tripe that Democrats have been coming up with.

If you want to shed the Lincoln Project, you need an alternative that's equally effective. Because right now you have a majority of voters who are feeling bullied, gaslit, and flat-out exhausted, and they want to punch back. If you don't give them an outlet they'll find their own.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if that's true. It's an 18-minute video that presents its content in a more ordered, comprehensive fashion. But I'm not surprised that people, already by frustrated by those critical of TLP, would not be receptive to this video.

I watched a few minutes, then skipped ahead when it seemed to be the same old thing. Can somebody summarize the point of it?

I don't do youtube essays in general, as they are usually lazy thinking and emotional appeals. That's what I saw when I looked.

If it's anything beyond what's come up in TLP threads of the past I am interested. If it's just a guy making the same points, I am not.

For the record, I don't view or share TLP videos but I'm pleased as hell they exist, making Republicans spend against Republicans and maybe even sharing some fractional points off the edges.

I like seeing infighting among my enemies.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Everyone who thinks it's obvious who The Lincoln Project is and what their ultimate goals are needs to get out of the Era bubble.

They have over 1.5 million followers on Twitter last I checked (I have them blocked now). With that kind of base audience plus all the engagement and sharing they get, they reach tons and tons of people who don't sit around and do research on who is behind political ads. They just see an anti-Trump thing and like and share it.

It's actually kind of crazy to me how many people on this website are so myopic about stuff like this.
And you think those people are going to go, "You know, I'm no longer a liberal because these fine ad makers have decided to stop targeting Republicans and are now targeting my people." Sure that's believable. Most people won't know who these people are, but to think they're going to easily be indoctrinated into the Republican church simply because TLP starts running ads against Dems in a few years is absolute nonsense. People that stupid are already voting Trump regardless.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The Lincoln Project is a poisoned chalice. Yeah they make some good adverts that really take a dig at Trump and they may prove to be certifiably useful in taking him down which is important, but their intentions go far beyond just removing Trump and to not recognize that and discuss and combat that now is just being fucking stupid. You're giving them an in to the party and legitimacy as a viable alternative that will be much harder to take away in the future because they know how to be respectful and put on a face unlike Trump.

If you actually watch the video and actually read up on their actions elsewhere it's pretty clear they're trying to influence the Democratic party and steer it even more towards the right. While it's hard to actually measure if their efforts had a tangible effect on the Democratic presidential primaries the outcome certainly was the one they wanted. They are pushing against progressive candidates and policies and playing up on the single mindedness of Dems and their willingness to do anything necessary to remove Trump. Voters, pundits and politicians are buying into the kind of talking points they're supporting to keep them from going left and pulling them to the right and enticing them with these notions that they can make big gains on moderate Republicans and independents.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone who thinks it's obvious who The Lincoln Project is and what their ultimate goals are needs to get out of the Era bubble.

They have over 1.5 million followers on Twitter last I checked (I have them blocked now). With that kind of base audience plus all the engagement and sharing they get, they reach tons and tons of people who don't sit around and do research on who is behind political ads. They just see an anti-Trump thing and like and share it.

It's actually kind of crazy to me how many people on this website are so myopic about stuff like this.

Well Ill bet the surefire way to reach those people outside the era bubble is to constantly remind ERA, the people clearly already aware of it.... of the fact that TLP are dirtbags.

It deserves all the captain obvious responses it gets here. You are preaching to the choir. I understand making YT videos, at least it may reach some of the people not already aware. But rehashing the same conversation "in the bubble" of people already in the know is just silly after a certain point. At least I understood it way back when we had like 2 or 3 posters unfamiliar with them, and that one strange poster than donated to them. But damn bruh, those 3 posters have LONG since had their mentions blown up and been educated.

Why is there a thread anytime TLp does literally anything? Seems fishy.

We literally had people complaining about posting when TLP did something. So the forum kinda gave in and said fine, we wont post their shit.

Now the same people that were complaining are chain posting stuff like this even when TLP isnt actually doing anything which just makes no sense.... Its like damn.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
And you think those people are going to go, "You know, I'm no longer a liberal because these fine ad makers have decided to stop targeting Republicans and are now targeting my people." Sure that's believable. Most people won't know who these people are, but to think they're going to easily be indoctrinated into the Republican church simply because TLP starts running ads against Dems in a few years is absolute nonsense. People that stupid are already voting Trump regardless.
The situation is way more nuanced than "TLP is going to turn people into Republicans" and the fact that so many people here want to reduce the discussion to that makes me think they are allergic to critical thinking.

Gabe323

Oct 18, 2019
I watched a few minutes, then skipped ahead when it seemed to be the same old thing. Can somebody summarize the point of it?

I don't do youtube essays in general, as they are usually lazy thinking and emotional appeals. That's what I saw when I looked.

If it's anything beyond what's come up in TLP threads of the past I am interested. If it's just a guy making the same points, I am not.

For the record, I don't view or share TLP videos but I'm pleased as hell they exist, making Republicans spend against Republicans and maybe even sharing some fractional points off the edges.

I like seeing infighting among my enemies.
If you read any of the threads that were made for the individual TLP videos you already know everything in the video. There is not one new thing in there wasn't already brought up 1000 times before by those critical of TLP. It's all just wrapped up in a video with some funnies.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I'm fine with their ads because they are the sizzling critiques that need to hit as many eyeballs as possible. I know the people behind it are dogshit, but if they want to throw money at a common problem I'm not going to ask them to stop

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Well Ill bet the surefire way to reach those people outside the era bubble is to constantly remind ERA, the people clearly already aware of it.... of the fact that TLP are dirtbags.
I understand that most people here know they are dirtbags. I don't understand why they don't care. And that's the discussion that's worth continuing to have.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
The situation is way more nuanced than "TLP is going to turn people into Republicans" and the fact that so many people here want to reduce the discussion to that makes me think they are allergic to critical thinking.
Was that critical thinking of yours on display when you diagnosed Biden with dementia after he beat Bernie? Fighting a war against TLP here is ridiculous. We actually know who they are. Laughing at their ads isn't giving them power.