• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I'm basically already signed up to see this with my nieces and nephews so I'm trying to remain positive.

I'm also still cautiously optimistic just because general critic response and Era response has always been misleading when it comes to these remakes. Pete's Dragon is (IMO) the strongest of all of them but didn't exactly set the box office on fire. The remainder have been hit-or-miss quality-wise but I think Dumbo and Through the Looking Glass have been the only true financial flops that also got panned critically.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if I walk out of this movie really liking it. I think Aladdin is still a great example for how early impressions can be so very counter to what general audiences think upon wide release.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
How else would you describe someone that wakes up one day and thinks to themselves "I think I'm go and remake the Lion fucking King today."
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fofx%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F09%2FOFX3-iStock-492595743-1200x800.jpg

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Got my order of things wrong. Black Panther it is.

I thought about mentioning Last Jedi (as I really liked it) but I can't imagine it was made without a ton of studio limitations.

Even those three are pretty constrained. Disney is not where you go as a director to flex your independent vision.
Thor: Ragnarok is still the most appropriate of those you listed, as it's the one that I can look at and immediately go, 'Yep, that's a Taika Watitit film', though all three are - in general - director's films that very clearly are made by people who have some vision for it. Compare it to Infinity War, which - while a good movie - is kinda bland in its cinematography and just really colourless in general.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Thor, the one movie of those three that wasn't also written by the director? (Who happens to write all his other projects)

Fuck no. The sense of humor in that sure felt like Waititis influence but a lot of the asgard stuff as it kept cutting to blanchett felt pretty rote and in line with the rest of the thor trilogy

Black Panther seemed more individualistic than that

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
This is all that needs to be said about this trash

I don't get why realistic has to mean washed out colors. It's not even muted it just looks dead. I can go outside and see lusher plant life. I don't even think Jungle Book looked this bad.

Gambino can kinda sing? Vocals ain't all that and his range kinda sucks but I think he is ok here. Don't think the casting is a problem, but the movie is ugly to look at. Jesus.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, they aren't going to remake Pocahontas lol

We also start getting into the issue where the films they are going to have to remake weren't good to begin with.

Hunchback? Hercules? Atlantis??

I'd say that's actually the one thing Disney should focus on doing more if they continue revisiting their catalog in live-action form. Revisit the lesser-valued and / or more obscure works and --with the right talent-- actually remaking them into higher-quality works that might even be more successful that the originals ever were; rather than their current approach of churning out somewhat shallow clones of their iconic touchstones (barring a couple of exceptions).

Granted, they technically tried this with Pete's Dragon and that didn't take off (actually flopped domestically IIRC). But I think that has more to do with their stupid scheduling and promotion shenanigans they pull every now again (August release --pitted against Suicide Squad, no less-- and muted marketing). I think that could had done better in a quieter period and with a adequate marketing push.

Apr 19, 2018
I'm basically already signed up to see this with my nieces and nephews so I'm trying to remain positive.

I'm also still cautiously optimistic just because general critic response and Era response has always been misleading when it comes to these remakes.

Agreed. I'm seeing the movie with two of my childhood girlfriends, all of us hardcore TLK fans. We haven't seen each other in an age, so whether it'll end up being really good or really bad, I suspect we're gonna have a good time bonding and re-connecting, either through loving the film or tearing it to pieces. =P

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's actually a good shot.
The original shot is just so much better because it actually has meaning (that Mufasa casts an unbearably large shadow after his death).

The new one is well... more realistic. Plus, the composition is a mess. I didn't even notice Simba at bottom left corner at first.

Oct 28, 2017
But both characters have been so authentically rendered, with the limited range of facial motion their respective species possess, that we're essentially just watching two animals stare blankly at each other. The emotional connection between them is entirely theoretical, supplied only by context or maybe by memories of what their hand-drawn ancestors more clearly conveyed.
Most of us saw this happening after the teaser was released. Personally, I'm tired of CGI renders.

Let's go back to 2D

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So what songs are in, and what songs are out?

All the songs from the original movie are in. Except for Morning Report, who nobody cares about. From the Broadway Show Shadowland is the most notable omission.

He Lives In You is in the soundtrack album but I haven't yet read if it's actually in the movie.

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing

Started reading this thread and skipped to the most recent page and of course someone is talking about The Last Jedi

It's . Been . Almost . Two . Years . Stop . Talking . About . TLJ .

Fuck almost every single thread regarding ANY film talks about TLJ

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing

Started reading this thread and skipped to the most recent page and of course someone is talking about The Last Jedi

The only reference t TLJ was that it was strongly influenced by its director. It wasn't a slam, and it wasn't a controversial statement.

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Disney knew they were in trouble and that's why the television commercial clips length are so short to hide the flaws.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Everything the light touches... took hours of rendering time. Look at this shit, Simba. You were still a squirt in your mom's rump when they started the first pass.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The original shot is just so much better because it actually has meaning (that Mufasa casts an unbearably large shadow after his death).

The new one is well... more realistic. Plus, the composition is a mess. I didn't even notice Simba at bottom left corner at first.

I feel like I got the exact same message out of the new shot. It's just subtle rather than overt. I'm really not a fan of much of what I've seen from this movie, but I like this shot. I'd need to see the full scene before getting a complete understanding of how effective it is.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
These reviews are proving my initial fears from the trailers. No emoting and the scenery is completely souless.

I will say I find one of the negative reviews about Can You Feel The Love tonight really off. They said it sounds like a pop song now but it's literally the same version as the one in the original? Just Beyonce and Donaldd voices overpower the background vocals and sound so it doesn't sound as good as the original. Maybe they were comparing it to the Elton John version for some weird reason.

Anyway it sucks they couldn't even give color to the movie. Give me some virbrancy and proper character colouring + fun visuals for musical sequences and I would have been trash and excused the lack of emoting.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Amazing

People talked about Man of Steel for 3 years and it honestly only stopped cause BVS came out.

So basically just wait for Episode 9.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing

5 years later

We'll be having the same discussions

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
Even if the movie does indeed end up bad, the music is anything but. I can't believe how good it still is!

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Remakes shouldn't be hated for no reason.

It's absolutely not for no reason, and I agree with you. I like many a sequel and remake. It's not even like I'm some bigwig film snob or something.

But the Disney remakes are just blatantly bored and cynical efforts. I don't wanna say they're not trying, but they're certainly not putting forth the same effort as when the originals were made. They were all inspired masterpieces, the remakes are mainly just reskins with much less to them in nearly ever way. And they're just pumping these out. Not something I have much respect for.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It's absolutely not for no reason, and I agree with you. I like many a sequel and remake. It's not even like I'm some bigwig film snob or something.

But the Disney remakes are just blatantly bored and cynical efforts. I don't wanna say they're not trying, but they're certainly not putting forth the same effort as when the originals were made. They were all inspired masterpieces, the remakes are mainly just reskins with much less to them in nearly ever way. And they're just pumping these out. Not something I have much respect for.

Wow, this post was accidental lol. I meant to add more to it but I must've accidentally hit post.

But yeah I agree for the most part. We've seen Hollywood nail remakes and we've seen them blatantly cash in on big properties like Disney has been doing. Lion King deserved better and so did the technical crew and animators that poured their time into this just for it to make the money it was going to make no matter what.

Unlike the original it will be forgotten in a couple of years and maybe next time we'll have to wait 30 years for another remake with whatever tech it prevalent at that time. Sad.