• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
We can probably stop hand-wringing over the RT score at this point - either way it sounds like it's an "OK" movie at best whether it's 59% or 60%.

Just watched the original in 4K HDR, goddamn that is a fine looking movie.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed to see so many negative reviews. I really liked recent Disney The Jungle Book remake.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lmao at the Mufusa death scene.

Watched the original this weekend, it's perfect. This is so unnecessary.

Oh well, thought the same of Aladdin and that seemed at least well liked enough to warrant existing. I'll check it out on Disney+ some day.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

This gif has more entertainment value

BabyishAnyAyeaye-size_restricted.gif

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
How do you fuck up Hakuna Matata and Mufasa's death like that? Smh, I would have loveddddd for this to have been a home run, alas. That Ellis review echoes Jahn's re: the voice acting and the emotionless lions, fuck all that

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the Spoiler OT now, or are we getting a new one? I ask because I'm going to see it later and I'm sure I'll have lots of feelings.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Tell us more. What did you love about it?
It looks absolutely beautiful, the voice acting is really strong, the songs are still great, the story is just as good as it was in the animation movie.

I had a great time and everyone in the cinema loved it. Really hope people will actually make up their own opinion than to listen to online critics.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
Just got back from seeing it.

Yeah, wow, so I thought I was being too harsh but the film honestly doesn't hold a candle to the original. I went in with an open mind. I actually hoped it wouldn't be a shot by shot remake as Circle of Life would probably lead you to believe. However, I just can't deny the flaws.

James Earl Jones' performance is flat. I couldn't feel any emotion coming from him. Remember how he nailed the mix of utter disappointment in the original? In the remake there's... nothing. It's like he's just reading a script.

One of its biggest crimes was that they replaced the iconic music during Simba's return with a pop song. It felt so out of place.

In the ending, this might sound nitpicky, but he roars too early. Even if you don't compare it to the perfect sync of the original, the early roar felt empty.

I like that it tries to be different, and I actually wanted it to be that way. However, sometimes difference for difference' sake isn't always good.

Also, I can't understand why all the characters looked emotionless. I didn't get that vibe when I watched Jungle Book. Something was just missing.

I can't wholeheartedly recommend the film, especially for fans of the original. It can't decide whether it wants to be a 3d animated film with talking animals, or a 3d animated film pretending to be live action.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

Looking forward to her next video.

(edit) Context for those who don't know who Lindsay Ellis is

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks absolutely beautiful, the voice acting is really strong, the songs are still great, the story is just as good as it was in the animation movie.

I had a great time and everyone in the cinema loved it. Really hope people will actually make up their own opinion than to listen to online critics.
I have no doubt people will eat that shit up because wELl It HaS tHE soNGS

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I can watch this shit in a few hours from now if I decide too... hmmm..... kinda tempted really, just to see whether it is as bad as many are saying....

So according to Martin from Double Toasted, 'Can You Feel the Love Tonight' takes place during the day?!

HOW DO YOU FUCK THAT UP?!

I don't remember, did it take place during night on the original...? IIRC I don't think so right?

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I feel like people are forgetting how animated JB animals are in comparison to LK

Like compare the two scenes

In JB the characters had problems with the photorealism but the characters do emote and had more life they're doing motions and voice actors are way better. It's probably subtle but they feel like they have life

LK just have blank faces most of the time, the camera is a lot more lifeless and they don't move around as much or at least their heads don't

They went full realism

Yeah I went on YouTube to make sure and yeah it wasn't my memory

Hell, look at Detective Pikachu. They went for realistic but the expression on the Pokémon are incredible.

I really did have high hopes for this because Jungle Book was so well made.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
I can watch this shit in a few hours from now if I decide too... hmmm..... kinda tempted really, just to see whether it is as bad as many are saying....

I don't remember, did it take place during night on the original...? IIRC I don't think so right?

It was turning night as Simba and Nala start to fall in love, hence the "tonight" part of the title.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018

Looking forward to her next video.

(edit) Context for those who don't know who Lindsay Ellis is

Ohhh. I've only gotten through 8 minutes of this, but so far it encapsulates a lot of the issues I have with recent Disney movies, including Star Wars. It's also extremely well produced. I'll be finishing this tonight. Thanks!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Clips from I Just Can't Wait to be King and Can't You Feel The Love Today:

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More like I Just Can't Wait to be CG and Can't You Feel The Emotion Today :v

Seriously, it looks nice and all, but probably it'd be funner to watch if it hadn't songs. Like a made-up documentary...

"What if Werner Herzog directed the Lion King"

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
From the clips I watched, they seem to be straight up lifting and copying every single iconic shot from the original. I don't know if the other remakes are guilty of this but this looks like a shot for shot redo of the original with realistic animals. Even these short half minute clips are hard to watch so I doubt I'll ever see the full thing.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't get over they are remaking an animated movie with a worse looking animated movie.
The logic is baffling.