• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Like I always thought. Once you go full realistic with animals, you lose nearly everything traditional animation can bring as far as emotion goes.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Damn, I'm no longer in a hurry to see this movie. They took a real banger, and turned it into a short, scary speech.

I was waiting for the break down, and it never came, it just ended.

I'm gutted. Like, where are my xylophone bones ? Where's the marching chorus?

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't like the look of this at all but it has the same score as Aladdin which I enjoyed.

Will probably give it a look at some point just to form my own opinion

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Damn, I'm no longer in a hurry to see this movie. They took a real banger, and turned it into a short, scary speech.

Bahahahah what the fuck is this

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would've been pretty interesting if they did a frame-by-frame remake, but with hyper realistic CG. The whole spectacle of I Just Can't Wait To Be King, but with photorealistic animals would be fun to see.

Nov 1, 2017
Right.....

We all are entitled to our opinions, but spare us with the sanctimonious attitude in dictating what to watch ,what to support, or to say who is "part of the problem" just because you don't like something, Mr. Big Boy.

Also, the movie can come across as lifeless due to the FX, but the songs are all but lifeless (unless you also have the complete truth in what is lifeless and what not)

What good are lively songs if the movie can't conjure enough visual energy to match it?
Might as well just be a tribute album then

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

It's at least more sinister than the original. Sad it's shorter, but it gives off more chills I think.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
I think I can skip this. Most of the reason I love these Disney films in the first place is for the beautiful hand drawn animation. And when you take that out, well, there just isn't much left that appeals to me. I'm sure the film will do fantastically anyway, if Aladdin is any indication.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has a huge interest in African wildlife, I'm 100% here for the photorealistic design choice. My favorite part of the Jungle Book was the accurate depiction of different bird species. Assuming that will be the case here (as the previews suggest), I'll likely be thrilled with it.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017

Goddammit. I had to go back and watch the original to cleanse my mind of this lol

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who has a huge interest in African wildlife, I'm 100% here for the photorealistic design choice. My favorite part of the Jungle Book was the accurate depiction of different bird species. Assuming that will be the case here (as the previews suggest), I'll likely be thrilled with it.

I understand, but I also think why not just watch some amazing nature docos? Some of the CG here looks a bit weightless to be honest (other stuff is quite impressive)

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
This is all that needs to be said about this trash

Good lord, that's awful. And the trailers looked so promising. In retrospect I was probably responding to Zimmer's score more than the cherry-picked visuals.

Also, people, this is not a shot-for-shot remake. Beat-for-beat maybe, in terms of overall plot and set pieces, but on top of rejiggering a lot of dialogue and adding new material, they make the inexplicable decision to throw out the masterfully dynamic animation, color, and cinematography in the original for the boring crap in that clip. A true shot-for-shot remake would be so much better.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
I understand, but I also think why not just watch some amazing nature docos? Some of the CG here looks a bit weightless to be honest (other stuff is quite impressive)

Oh I do...I have tons of them from the BBC, NatGeo, etc. I also try to go on safari as often as possible (not as often as I'd like to, but I recognize that I'm fortunate to be able to do it at all). It's my primary non-media passion actually.

But seeing this very realistic style paired with an already-beloved story...it will probably work for me. I could be wrong, of course, and I obviously haven't seen it...but I"m excited to.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people say this is getting panned? Average would be accurate.

Putting aside the fact that Era is generally obsessed with RT scores (90% or it's SHIT)...

...This a remake of one of the best and most influential animated films of all time. As with all these shit remakes so far based on similarly important material, below average doesn't, and shouldn't, cut it.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It's at least more sinister than the original. Sad it's shorter, but it gives off more chills I think.

The voice actor did very well with what he got, but I feel like this was the intro to a good sinister song, rather than a good song.

The OG achieved the chills via the visuals... It opens with scar tossing a gnawed off zebra leg to his starving henchmen while casually talking about murdering his brother and nephew, climaxes with a freaking nazi salute, I'm pretty sure Scar scares one hyena into falling to his fiery death, then it ends with a sea of blood red against a harrowing night sky. It was spooky and fun at the same time.

I get the photo-realism approach forces them to lean on the audio for the chills, but I don't get why that would lead to gutting half the song and most of the instrumentation.

I used to rewind my videotape when the song ended - playing it over and over again. My son ain't gonna wanna play this shit on repeat. :(

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Goddammit. I had to go back and watch the original to cleanse my mind of this lol

Went in with a clear head and yea the OG dumpsters this, Irons Scar is iconic for a reason as are the hyenas. Listening to the original now and genuinely laughing at the " No king No king!" Into Scar's " YOU IDIOTS THERE WILL BE A KING...I will be king" and the little preen he does with it. The original is just so full of life, I feel nothing listening to any of this new stuff.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Went in with a clear head and yea the OG dumpsters this, Irons Scar is iconic for a reason as are the hyenas. Listening to the original now and genuinely laughing at the " No king No king!" Into Scar's " YOU IDIOTS THERE WILL BE A KING...I will be king" and the little preen he does with it. The original is just so full of life, I feel nothing listening to any of this new stuff.

For sure. The original scene is one of the highlights of the film imo. So full of energy, colour, and even humour!

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair here, I think the marching chorus would have also been cut from the original film had it come out in the current political environment.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
This is a remake of the veritable crown jewel of the Disney animated canon.

A rotten score is an embarrassment.

Yea this. It's been a minute since I've seen it but just look at this if you haven't seen it for a while

The personality, the color, the sweeping music just oozes from every frame, it's absolutely God tier everything