• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
You need to be able to see the actors in the characters. Its why Any Serkis is so good. Even in the cartoon you saw the actors in their characters. It helped humanize them. It just doesnt work here.

Then again it worked for Jungle Book so who knows.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I first saw the Hakuna Matata clip, I saw it without audio so I thought it was the scene where Simba saves Pumba from Nala because he looks angry at the start of the clip but turns out he is just singing.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Still amazed by just how sluggish and bland this looks next to the original.

You don't say.

0n9hCSh.gif

PAKJ0wD.gif

They can't compare with the Disney Renaissance storyboarders and visual artists at the top of their game. It's futile to even try, as this movie amply demonstrates. No amount of money put into 3D rendering will change that fact.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that is the reason. In that sequence you had marching Hyena's by the hundreds in Nazi style. And I don't think that they could do this in this movie because they have gone for the realistic angle. So how would they do that sequence in this movie.It just would not work.

I think the real question is, why choose an angle that doesn't work with the highlights of the source material

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Dumbo pt.2, but guaranteed to make more money and sticks too close to the OG. Had a feeling all those early Twitter reactions were products of people psyched to have free tickets to a big movie.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The direction seen weird too. In every clip it seen like they are avoiding close-ups as much as they can. The shots last too long and make the movie even less visually interesting.

Oct 27, 2017
Man Id fuck with that. Imagine into the spiderverse visuals and colour pallet for different songs and settings etc with solid voice casting, damn
Exactly. That would be a thing of beauty. In my opinion they're wasting these studios by not trusting them with their well known franchises. Certain things like Cinderella or tarzan work with with the live action treatment, but something like dumbo should've been done in the style of tangled or zootopia.

Oct 31, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
You need to be able to see the actors in the characters. Its why Any Serkis is so good. Even in the cartoon you saw the actors in their characters. It helped humanize them. It just doesnt work here.

I remember people were harping on Andy Serkis' Mowgli for the animals having cartoony/human like faces, but now we see why they were designed that way. Serkis is pretty much a master of the craft so he knows what works and what doesn't.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019

You know what shit they should have dawn of the apes this movie so hard, that shit had emotions, great facial animations etc. Coild have given Serkis a hell of a payday because he prob could have mo capped everything and be every damn character in the movie as well minus female leads

Oct 31, 2017
It's possible many will come out of this wishing it was stylized 3D. I mean, even though the tech has far been surpassed, this stills looks great because the art style and animation are great.

How-could-it-be-popular.gif

You wouldn't have to duplicate the look of the original Lion King, but a stylized look instead of going realistic like Jungle Book is more distinctive.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Been listening to the soundtrack all day. Outside of Seth Rogen this is eaaaaaasssssilllyyyyyyy the best soundtrack out of all the live action remakes. Nothing else comes close to the actual singing and scoring talent here.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Ironically I feel this hyper realistic look would have worked better for Mowgli considering how "darker" that film was and that the facial animation tech but with added Disney budget they used in Mowgli would suit this film far more to give the animals some personality.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Will this reaction and Dumbo get Disney to reconsider this direction? Or they'll just say "Nah, we still got that Aladdin money."

...I'm looking forward to the new takes on Mulan and The Little Mermaid.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is all that needs to be said about this trash

Holy shit lmao. I'm usually not down on Disney remakes at all and have liked pretty much all of them. But Jesus christ, Simba has no emotion in that clip, which makes sense because real life lions don't have a lot of facial expressions. They should have gone less realistic and more like Detective Pikachu.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
It seemed clear the approach that the movie would be going for after Jungle Book so I just can't understand the criticisms of the animals not being expressive enough or animated enough when usually those kinds of animations look even more out of place the more realistic it looks (see: Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle).

That reminds me I still need to watch that Jungle Book version. I'm intrigued by the way they did the animal faces but just haven't had a chance to check it out.

I haven't watched all that much footage of The Lion King other than the first two trailers where they didn't talk much, so I'm curious how it'll look here, too.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
But The Lion King is not accurate to real life animals so you better just watch a documentary
It's a stylistic choice that I can appreciate.

Obviously it's fantasy and not realism and I'm not interested for strictly realism.

Not sure what point you are trying to make.

Edit: You can take your same logic and say that the people complaining that it's not cartoony enough can "just watch the original". It adds nothing to the discussion.

Last edited:

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh this makes me so sad, Lion King's a top 10 all time movie for me and I was looking forward to this more than any movie this year. I'm sure I'll still enjoy it, but ugh!

New Be Prepared is kind of trash.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
How is it even possible for this to feel like a strict, almost shot-for-shot remake when it's 30 minutes longer than the original!?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Will this reaction and Dumbo get Disney to reconsider this direction? Or they'll just say "Nah, we still got that Aladdin money."

...I'm looking forward to the new takes on Mulan and The Little Mermaid.

I'd guess it might just stop them from doing other realistic cg animal movies.